“I'll be back!!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Swansboro, North Carolina
“I'll be back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Comfortable and accommodating setting. The guest house and gardens are clean and maintained daily. Elise and her staff anticipated our every need. I traveled with my teenage daughter and they were genuinely and equally attentive to her requests and desires. The value of our stay was accentuated by the quality and (quantity) of food prepared for our breakfast and dinner meals. Darryl is an outstanding cook, known as the Barefoot Chef. His versatility in the kitchen helped to sate our culinary curiosity of Jamaican and Chinese cuisine. I look forward to our next visit in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank April C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My sisters, cousin and I spent an unforgettable week at the Blue House in Ocho Rios Jamaica. We were welcomed immediately by Elise and her staff and treated every day to amazing gourmet creations. There is lots to do, activities, beaches and our favourite - the 3 minute walk to the river for a quick swim. The rooms and premises are very clean and we felt completely safe during our memorable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraKosch
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Excellent, excellent and most excellent trip, get away I have had in a long time. The Blue house is private, comfortable, cozy, spacious, air conditioned, safe well stocked with a huge selection of books, bar (free access at all times), pool that is clean, food that is amazing, service that is above and beyond...I can't express myself just how much I loved it there. The hummingbirds would greet you all day while having coffee each morning or a glass of wine at night. I felt like I belonged at the end of the trip. A HUGE thank you to Elise (your love for people only Jesus could give), Darryl top chef (to bad you couldn't fit in my suitcase), Servers Marlin and Orlando thank you for your hard work, Carlien you are a wonderful cook and cared for our bedrooms especially me and all my crazy clothes!!! Sonjia for organizing our day and making all our arrangements whatever we asked, Patrick (our taxi guide and information guide), the gardener with the machete and of coarse sweet Gloria, Elise's mom. My dad sent me and my three sisters for my 40th birthday and now I will make this a tradition. A true cultural experience

Room Tip: The rooms are huge. I took the master suite with my cousin and honestly three people could sleep th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cimbalina
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Traveled with 3 cousins and we had the most wonderful time. Darryl made us 5 star meals every day, and we were introduced to many new fruits and dishes. Elise and her mom Gloria spent time in the evenings with us and we enjoyed their stories and learning about Jamaica. The staff is amazing as well. We felt like we were at home there. The location is great too. It is close to the town, attractions like Dunn's Falls and also beaches such as Reggae Beach, which was our favorite. As well you can walk down the road 5 minutes and bathe in the White River which is refreshing anytime of the day. We loved to watch the hummingbirds every day and hear the sound of the parrots. Thank you to the Yap family for your amazing hospitality!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annabelle467
Milton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Yes, all inclusives can offer "unlimited everything", but you can get that pretty much anywhere. I'm not knocking all inclusives as they are often my go to place when booking vacations. However, Blue House is a very personal Jamaican experience. If you want to touch the soul of Jamaica, then stay here. Very personalized and personable service by the staff. Food is well... let's just say I'd recommend making a dinner reservation if that were even possible. You walk in as a guest and leave as a friend. Great things happen here. Would go back here anytime!

Room Tip: Honey moon suite and cottage are the best rooms if you can get them, get them.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TDotNeil
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights in the Upper Room in July. Wow..where to start?
First off, everything you've read about the incredible cuisine is true..a Veritable Feast every day!
I was secretly apprehensive about things like oxtail, curry goat, saltfish..how glad I am Darryl gave us the complete authentic Jamaican experience! Being a chocolate aficianado, I am still puzzled as to why my dreams include rum raisin bread pudding instead of the delectable chocolate cake..a mystery!.. As for Elise,..a consummate hostess who we loved sharing our dinners with! The conversations alone around that dinner table with other guests are something $$ can't buy. We ended up loving the dinner company and were quite sad to see some guests go!. The Blue House is so beautifully decorated, ditto for the well kept gardens. Great special touches such as: various travel books lying about and towels/sunscreen set out for you. The whole team puts you at ease and you are free to do as much, or little, whilst on your stay. We highly recommend the private airport transfer & our driver "Patrick" who also drove us around downtown Ochie one day. Very dependable, trustworthy, and a natural educator. We learned alot about Jamaica just chatting on our drives. We spent a few days at Reggae Beach and were quite happy about practically having a whole carribean beach to ourselves! Beautiful, great reggae atmosphere, and outstanding lunches! Order before you get hungry, as everything is made fresh and takes a bit to prepare. Being a private owned beach, no worries of pushy tourist targeters. If you love falls, visit Turtle River Park for a day of hiking up, down, and all around the beautiful falls! No picture can capture the beauty of these falls- Be smart and take your lunch along. We left earlier than we wanted because we were hungry. Just ask your driver and he'll help you figure out where to get lunch before you go. Our trip highlight was visiting our sponsored couple of Elise's "Breadbasket Ministries" followed by a lunch/swim at the BlueHole. (This is a patch of Heaven itself hidden in rural Jamaica!). If you are unfamiliar with BreadBasket Ministries, take a moment to read up. It is very different from a 'handout' charity mentality. Elise's very life is integrated with many rural Jamaicans as she strives to not only feed and clothe, but also educate, provide life skills, and mentoring. This is a personal spiritual call of hers, and so it is difficult to speak of the Blue House without mentioning it, as they really co-exist for a greater purpose. My husband and I left Jamaica feeling so well treated, so spiritually rejuvenated and renewed. It is exactly the kind of trip we needed. Thankyou all at the Blue House. Jason misses his "Mavis Bank coffee," morning bird watching and dips in the river. As for me, I miss relaxing poolside at night listening to the sounds of 'nine-night' and the symphony of nature with a little rum cream mixed in :) What a great way to celebrate our 15th Anniversary. A genuine blessing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 667JanMarie
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderful, relaxing stay at The Blue House. Exceptional culinary experience and the staff takes care of your every need without being overbearing. Got to experience and learn about real Jamaican culture which you will not get at an all inclusive resort. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Recommend the upper room. Very spacious and huge open shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple