“Not very good”

Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Charleston
“Not very good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

There was a group of us that stayed one night after working on a mission trip in the interior of Jamaica. The hotel is on the water. There were ants in the bathroom. The shower sprayed all over the bathroom. The room on the second floor had very little water in the shower. The AC work great. Furnishings were old and worn. Did not try the TV. The breakfast was toast, coffe and juice. If I was bringing my family here I would not stay here. It was okay for 1 night after staying in the interior of Jamaica.

Room Tip: If you want water in the shower stay on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Maxine E, Manager at Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
A pleasant afternoon. First I must say a very big thank you for making it Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge. Please accept my sincere apology for the discomfort you have experience while staying at our property, I can assure you that the matter will be delt with immediately. Your review is highly appreciated , Please do not allow this experience to differ you from returning to Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge. If you decide on a return to our hotel and there is anything we can do to make your stay a more memorable one , please do not hesitate to let us know. Again thank you for taking time out of you busy schedule to make a review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dania Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Let me start by noting that I am still trying to get over the traumatizing experience I had while staying at this hotel. I am going to be as detailed as possible so readers of this review will feel my horrowing experience through my words. There is nothing that that the owners, managers and employees can say or do to make me feel forgiveness for what my traveling partner and I endured. This hotel is categorized between a 2.5 to 3 star hotel depending on which online travel source you look at. The pictures shown throughout these online travel sources seemed very appealing and gave my traveling partner and I a good impression and "perception" of this property. I always have to keep in mind that there is a major gamble that hotel seekers take when going off of pictures online. The reviews for the most part were likeable. I had my traveling partner look at the pictures as well and she was pleased. Oh boy were we fooled! When the hotel was initially booked for 2 nights, the hotel charges the credit card immediately. Please take note of their cancellation policy as well. When we got to Jamaica, it took us 20 minutes to find the hotel. It was connected to another property by the name of Shaw Park of which there is a gate with security. To our dismay, that was not the entrance. We had to turn on another road, drive pass a very hasseling and undesireable area where people are washing cars and anything imaginable, then underneath a bridge on road ridden with pot holes! Once we got to the hotel, our mouths' dropped. The hotel was so dilapidated. We had a rental car and the parking was quite inadequate and we automatically felt that this area was unsafe. The pictures online compared to the actual building was like night and day. Upon check-in, the young lady at the front desk took us to a room on the second floor. We were disappointed once again. Now...let me make this clear...I have stayed in budget hotels/motels many times before so I had least had a barometer of what to expect. We were so disappointed that we almost started crying. My girlfriend's allergies immediately started flaring up and we knew that we needed a different room. We asked for a room on the third floor and at that moment the young lady said that it would be more money. We asked her to consult the hotel manager. We spoke to the hotel manager and told her that the room shown online is nowhere near the presentation of the room shown to us on the second floor. She said that she would speak to the owner. Mind you we were told that owner resided in Canada. The owner denied our request. We tried and tried to convince these people to work with us but they did not budge. All they cared about is the money. They would rather fight to keep our money and give us a flithy room rather than do everything in their power to make the customer happy and feel at home...especially since the 2 nights were paid for in advance. I decided to contact the travel agent to cancel to no avail. We had no choice but to stay the two nights that were paid for. From this point forward is where I state my case as to why this hotel is unsafe. On the second night, the rental car I was driving got broken into. The type of car was a Toyota Yaris which was completely locked but these vehicles do not come with a security feature. I have been visiting Jamaica for the last 20 years and this is the first time ever that vandalism as occurred on any of my trips. The spare tire, the radio and car battery was taken. Apparently the hotel owner flew in the day before and his rental car was broken into as well which was also a Toyota Yaris. There was a feeling that came over me because the owner himself experienced this himself and he can observe that his property in unsafe. When we went to the police station to report this, I overheard the owner saying this has happened to him before. What! Sounded like someone who truly has no care in the world for the safety of the hotel guests. The hotel owner is an old school much older male physician who apparently has had some dispute over selling the property because he is not getting the "right" buying price. This owner's greediness has led to the dilapidated state of this hotel. This owner also had the nerve to offer me a free 2 night stay in compensation for m ordeal. He is obviously not of this world because I have obviously been tramautized by the vandalism and he wants me to come back to this hotel...again?!?!

The staff will not work with you if you have a legitimate problem. The vandalism has happened more than once with apparently no sign to beef up night security. This is more like a 1.5 star hotel with minimum amenities. Find out if there is an option to pay on conclusion of the stay. If you can help it, do not pay in advance. That are plenty of hotels in the jamaica tourism industry that get unknowing people that way. Also this so called 2.5 star hotel was way overpriced at almost $100 a night. In conclusion please read this review and let it emerse and marinate in your mind and please do not fall victim to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
15 Thank LookAlikeSoundAlike

Travellers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Had an overnight stay here. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Accommodation was basic but very clean. If you are driving, the entrance to the hotel is a little difficult to find at first and you
need to pass under a bridge were there are locals there washing cars. You advise them where you are heading and they wave you through. Free Internet is great and you are treated to watching locals haul in their morning catch right outside your window. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Calypso501
Roanoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel is located at the east end of Ocho Rios. When we drove in under the bridge and past the car wash we were a little concerned about the location, but we had no reason to worry during our three days there. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful, and the breakfasts were ample and good, especially when we added items to the basic continental offering. We loved watching the fishermen come in with their nets in the mornings and falling asleep to the sound of the waves at night. Our room was large and comfortable, and its terrace was only a few steps from the beach.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LaCombe2
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks in January it was great. This hotel is for people that want to rest and enjoy peace and quiet. Beach is right to back of the building and sounds great at night. All staff were so helpful when i was getting married. I forgot my flowers and they made me one on the spot. Even suprised me with a great floral bed design for my honeymoon night. Went out and come back in the early morning and didnt have any issues. Am going back for sure in may to say hi to everyone again.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank kay008London
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at this place 3 days in January 2012. I found this place on Tripadvisor but was reluctant to book this place online, because I wanted to check this place out before forking over any money. Since I had a rental car I drove there. It was not very difficult to find. But from the main road to the hotel ( about half a mile) looked kind of slum. The exterior of the hotel was not very inviting either. But once I walked into the office and met the young lady named Angel, I felt very comfortable. They had a lot of vacant rooms that day, so she showed me a few. Every room had a balcony and beautiful view of the ocean. This hotel is practically on the beach. Perfect location.

They have 2 rooms with WIFI #103 and #203. Since #103 was occupied I took #203. The room is spacious. But it is older and and in need of some repair. We did not have hot water first 2 days. They use individual on demand water heaters and ours was broken. They replaced it on the 3rd day. Showerhead was clogged and they replaced it next day. Water pressure for the shower was very weak. This is why I did not give them 5*.

Pros: Location
Employees
Price

Cons: No phones in the room
Mattress very old and hard. You feel springs on your back.
TV is a small CRT
No restaurant (If you order something day before, they will serve it)
No swimming pool
No Gym

Even with all the cons, I would stay here again because of the extremely friendly and accomodating staff and the location.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I went to Jamaica for a 10 day vacation with my boyfriend. When we got to Crystal Ripple, we were very impressed with the location. Our 1st floor room was right on the beach; open the sliding glass door, step outside, and the boardwalk is literally a few feet away. I never thought we would get that great of a location and view for the price. Getting to downtown Ocho Rios, where the markets, restaurants, and clubs are, is about a 10 minute cab ride.

Aside from the view, we really enjoyed our stay because the hotel has a friendly and personal feel. We stayed in Kingston for a few days at a larger, more commercial hotel. That was a nice experience as well, but Crystal Ripple felt more like home. The staff was friendly, remembered our names, and was always there to answer questions or provide any needed assistance. Horace at the front desk is great. We really enjoyed talking with him, and he hooked us up with a route taxi driver who took us to town for half the price of other drivers.

Overall, great experience. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple