“Incompetent staff and lack of structure”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mariposa Hideaway

Mariposa Hideaway
Ranked #72 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Coral Springs, Florida
“Incompetent staff and lack of structure”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I made reservations for my friends and I to stay at Mariposa for a week. Within a few minutes I received a confirmation e mail stating that everything was confirmed and was set to go for my trip. I called the hotel directly a few times after that just to ask just general questions about the hotel and what was to be expected. Nothing was ever mentioned to me about possible rate changes and cancellation. I kept on checking my credit card though to see if they had charged my account, but after noticing that they didn't after a full week I went back on the website to double check to see if they still had my apartment available to others. Keep in my mind when I called and spoke to Roxanne at the front desk, she assured me that there was only 1 apartment and I booked it so I had nothing to worry about. I noticed not only was the apartment still available on the website but the rates went from $120 per night to $260 per night. I frantically called back to verify that I would be honored the rates that I booked my room for and once again Roxanne assured me I would be charged the initial amount of $120. Feeling secured about this I then referred a few people to stay at the hotel . That was a big regret on my part, because less than 2 hours later I received an email from Vivien saying my room was cancelled because they didn't have the correct rates up when I booked it and if I want to stay there then I have to re book it. I've traveled numerous times and never have I been dealt so much incompetence and misinformation.I felt as if I was slapped in the face. DO NOT BOOK YOUR ROOM HERE...unless you want to get to Negril and have no where to sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank sashy_12

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I booked this hotel for Aug. 1-7 for my birthday. I wanted to stay some where right on the beach but affordable. I booked the room in Jan. for three people at $60 a night. I got a confirmation email and sent a follow up email a week later just to be sure. 'Viviene' sent me an email stating that my reservation was processed and good.

I was just about to buy my plane ticket today but wanted to wait til after work. Glad I waited. I got an email from 'Viviene' stating that they wanted $40 extra for a third person. I asked was it per night or over all $40 extra. To my surprise the response was - the rates on our website weren't updates. You need to re-book if you want to stay here. Sorry.'

WHAT ???

I'm writing this so other Americans are aware that this hotel is terrible at reservations just imagine how bad staying their must be!! Mariposa is on my 'will not stay here ever in life' list.

I'm just going to spend my heard earn money in Florida at Disney World with my kids. Thanks Vivienne for being horrible at customer service you saved me money!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lasea75

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

USA
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Let me start by saying that the staff at Mariposa are amazing!

We visited in late Jan 2012 and rented the 2 bdrm "apartment", that is a joke. It is a small kitchenette, not a kitchen, a hallway, 2 bdrms and a bath. The bedrooms are very small and there is no where to store any luggage. There is no common area to except for a table and chairs on the patio. It is located at the back of the complex so there is no view of anything. $150 a night is way too high.

They have watch dogs that they let out at night so you can not leave or enter the property, from the street, without the guard having to put the dogs away. DO NOT go in until he puts them away, he can not control them, there are no collars on the dogs and he has no baton or weapon should they become agitated. If you want to come and go after 10 or 11 you will have to use the beach or hassle with the dogs. One of the dogs actually growled and "nipped" at my friend when she entered because the guard told her it was ok.

Mariposa does not have any "beach" of their own because the last storm in October wiped it all away. They were able to use some space on the beach property just a couple steps away but on our last day we were kicked off that space because of a disagreement with Mariposa's owner and the owner of the beach space. Mariposa was not keeping up the agreement to use the space. If you are planning on being able to sit at your resort, on the beach in the sun, think again. Hopefully they will work things out or you will have to find another place to hang out on the beach.

Other reviews that say the "manager" is mean to staff, well that's the owner, not the manager and she is very mean. It's almost a "slave" mentality, staff reply "yes Miss", "No Miss" " I'm sorry Miss". She never comes down to greet guests, she yells at the staff from her apartment upstairs or calls then on the phone!

We did not get our complimentary breakfast, had to pay extra to use the safe in the room, and the shower kept leaking because they wouldn't put a new shower head on.

With all the other places on the beach I doubt I'd stay here again. In a pinch, maybe, but when given a choice, no way!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank mpls001
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at the Mariposa Hideaway for 4 nights at the end of December 2011. This is a nice relaxing place to stay at. The included breakfast was a nice surprise, one or two scrambled eggs, two slices of toast and two or three slices of bacon.
The room was big and spacious, the staff was friendly and someone was always cleaning the grounds.
The reason I gave this place an average rating is because they just finished builing a cement wall in front of the beach, basically you can see the water if you are sitting by the restaurant but can't lay on the sand in front of the hotel because there is no room. The wall goes out to were the water ends. We were able to lay on the sand a couple of establishments over, in front of Niah's Patties. I think this is an arragement that they are still working on, because the merchants on that lot have a preference on where they want the beach chairs to be placed at. I'm not sure if this will be the permanent spot for guests of Mariposa Hideaway or if it was a temporary arrangement. The beach by Niah's Patties is great, it was high season but it didn't feel like it. Other hotels had big crowds of people on their beach arears and we didn't. The staff from Mariposa would bring the chairs to the beach and ask us each morning where we wanted them placed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mm z
conway
Reviewed 21 May 2011

This is a bright, mission-style cluster of rooms around a little garden right on the beach. Off-season prices are a real bargain. Rooms have one or two beds, good air and cable, a small kitchenette and full bathrooms. There is also a little patio with table and chairs. On site is DaGino's, a wonderful Italian Restaurant, and there's a convenience store next door which also has boats to rent of for various types of excursions. Supposedly there was wireless internet, but we were never able to log on. An itnernet/telephone cafe is about a seven-minute walk away. The west end hot spots are about a ten-minute cab ride. A walk along the beach offers countless choices for dining. The only reliable transportation is taxi, but all you need to do is step onto the street and a parade of cars will offer to give you a cheap ride. For rides around town, we didn't see the need to limit ourselves to red-license-plated vehicles.

TIP: A great day can be spent on an excursion to the south coast and interior: YS Falls, Appleton Distillery, Bamboo Avenue, etc. And see if you can find the ancient bread tree planted by the Bounty's Captain Bligh in Bluefields!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach opn the second floo
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ansgar13
Republic, Missouri
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We stayed at the Mariposa from 2/26/11 to 3/05/11. We arrived after 5 p.m. and the office was closed. No problem Mon! A nice lady at the on premises Italian restaurant came up and gave us our keys, and said don't worry about the paperwork until tomorrow. That was easy check-in for sure. We are 2 couples and each had studio apartments #5 and #7. Sitting on our ground floor patios each day, and drinking morning coffee, we could see the ocean through the gates to the beach. This small, clean hotel was in the middle of the 7 mile beach. Easy access to food & drinks. We ate one evening at the Italian Restaurant on premises, food was ok, but compared to the other venues a little pricey for our budget. The studio rooms were plenty spacious with a queen bed and overhead fan, with a refrigerator and sink, TV and a safe. The room was cleaned daily and the housekeepers do a great job. We had plenty of hot water and water pressure. We slept with the windows open and never used the air conditioner.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Mariposa and will definitely stay there again. Since this is a small hotel, there were plenty of beach chairs and our beach area was certainly not crowded. After hours, Tony's Hut is next door to enjoy the beverage of your choice!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sushifarmer
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Great value hotel right on the beach in Negril. Great Staff working in the restaurant, very helpful and chatty. Manager not so friendly to the workers, but luckily she's not there very often. We upgraded to the superior King size room, at 80 bucks a night, what a bargain. Beautiful spot!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple