“Unethical business practises” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Kingston, Jamaica
“Unethical business practises”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

I am a Jamaican who responded to an advertisement of a 'special'.

On June 7, 2011 I made a reservation for the night of June 25, 2011. They immediately charged my c/card for two night. I pointed out that it was a single night, and one night was reversed.

Last Saturday [June 11, 2011] I found out that I had to attend a wedding in Florida. I immediately contacted The Palms, explained , cancelled the reservation, and request a refund. This is now Friday, June 17, 2011 and I cannot get back my money. Despite threats of legal action etc.

Very unethical, unprofessional behavour by the staff. The owners are off the Island [so I have been told].

The bottom line I cannot seem to get back my money. Customer service is non existent !!!!

Buyer be aware !!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
KC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

Booked 3 nights at the Palms with the expectations that it would not come close to matching the experience we would have (and had) the the first 3 nights at Beaches Sandy Bay. And I was right - it didn't match up - but for a resort that is not all-inclusive, it's one of the best. The staff is incredibly friendly and the two security guys we met - Ramsey and Winston - did everything possible to make you feel welcome and safe. The rooms were beautiful, however make sure you have some bug spray to where at night. There are no screens on the windows - just wooden slats.

The food was some of the best I have EVER eaten - better than Beaches. We were one of the few staying at the hotel because it was the off-season but the dining staff made sure everything was made to perfection.

Lastly, if Winston or Ramsey suggest a ride on The Wild Thing - DO IT!! Long boat ride checking out beautiful scenery, it's all you can drink, and they swing by the cliffs at Rick's Cafe. Throw on your lifevest, jump in the sea and take a plunge from 10, 35, 45, and 60 foot cliffs. It was awesome!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Spooge911
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I loved my hotel stay and thank the staff most because they were so pleasant, courteous, helpful. I remember I needed to find a place to get a mani and pedi and they arranged a personal driver for me that drove me to a ladys home where I had the Best manicure and pedicure ever, the Food was amazing, the drinks so so, the layout of the hotel was amazing. Only thing is No hot water for a few days but that was resolved. I will definitely recommend it and stay again.

Room Tip: Better to keep the room closets to the Ocean Front
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

We took 110 people to Negril for our wedding in May 2011. We took over the whole of The Palms resort and the hotel next door, Seasplash. Our entire group had the most incredible time! The Palms staff were so welcoming and friendly and made all of our guests feel at home. On arrival, each room was decorated with flowers and towel swans on the bed. All of our guests commented on how wonderful their stay was.

The Palms organized a fantastic welcome BBQ on the beach for our guests, allowed our own DJ to spin tunes and all our guests danced until the early hours of the morning! The bar staff kept working until the last guest went to sleep with no complaints. They also hosted our after party following our wedding at The Caves. They organized a bonfire on the beach and once again allowed us to party all night long.

The food at The Palms is fantastic and the setting right on the famous 7-mile beach is incredible. It just doesn't get better than this.

We are forever grateful to all of the staff at The Palms for making our wedding the best we could ever hope for. All of our guests are already asking for a reunion so we will be back! Jamaica holds a very special place in our hearts.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cinnamonstapleton
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

This was my 2nd trip to jamaica but my first time at the palms resort. I didnt know what to expect but, when i got there the warmth and the friendliness of the staff gave me a big welcome, which made me feel so comfortable and overwhelm. I must admit the staff there are fantastic, very helpful and friendly. From the front desk who always ensure we get the right cab and the necceasry information, to the waiters, bartenders and the security guy (Ramsey) on the beach, how colud i forget the house ladies who kept the room clean and nice each and every morning. The bathrooms could use abit of refurbrishing but okay. Everything was there right next to the beach, how superb it is.
I had a great time at the palms and i really enjoy there food, but your on vocation so its good to go out and explore negril and its adventures. If is should visit negril again the palms woluld definately be my choice.

Room Tip: Choose the refurbrished room.
1 Thank Lgre
Conway, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I was very excited. I won this trip last year for my mother for Mother's Day. The two of us, including my father, arrived the end of April.

Honestly, it wasn't what i expected when I first arrived.
The room & bathroom was very basic, but the atmosphere was great. I liked the wooden windows & doors to the balcony. If you are into the modern fancy type of rooms, then you wouldn't like it. I loved it because it seemed like you were apart of nature. Almost bringing the outside into your room. We did have some ants in the shower that bothered me a little, but it was okay. Only one complaint, we did not have any hot water. I took a shower in cool water everyday. Our room was close to the front, but the traffic didnt bother us at all. The only thing I could hear were the whistling toads and the sound of nature every night. I would have liked the room to be just a little more modern or renovated.

The staff made it an excellent stay for me. They really took care of us. Especially Ramsey, he made sure vendors didn't bother us and always checked to make sure we were okay. I especially liked Captian Junior w/ the glass bottom boat. If you go, you'll understand why...The food was good, but they didn't have many selections. The atmosphere was very relaxing. The pool was closed during our entire 5 day stay, but I enjoyed the beach. Our cab driver, Chicken, was great too. He was very helpful regarding the area and took us where ever we wanted to go. We didn't have to wait no more than 5 mins of his arrival.

I would go there again because of the staff and relaxed atmosphere. I would only have changed the room (a little more modern & few more amenities). They really made my first trip to Jamaica a great one. I have fallen in love with Jamaica and will go back again.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kinyha
Eatontown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stopped in at the Palms because there was live music playing on the beach. We took in a drink and decided on our FIRST night in Jamaica to stay for dinner. We were sat at a lovely table for two poolside, music playing, breeze blowing from the ocean, how bad could it be, right? We were forgotten about and because it was our first night on the island we had no guage how bad the service was. It took a bit for our 2 red stripe's to arrive and even longer for an appetizer to show up 45 MINUTES TO BE EXACT! We were going to leave but were unsure if this was typical when dining in Jamaica. IT'S NOT!!! We waited another 45 minutes for our dinner. We immediately got up after dinner and headed to pay our bill. Fearful at how long it would take for our waitier to bring our bill. We were again taken back by the gradutity that was already in place on our bill. No other resturant during our stay included the tip, so BEWARE. I do realize that we could just be that once in a while bad review but I would never go back to Palms again ESPECIALLY since the local cusine is SO MUCH BETTER this comercial spot.

2 Thank MsJitterbug
kristly, Manager at Negril Palms Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
We are in receipt of your review regarding your dining experience at our restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you felt you encountered. You are correct that 45 minutes is too long to wait for your orders. Our event nights are always high volume. Being in the hospitality industry, we are accustomed to catering to such size groups and plan to the very best of our ability to make sure everyone is 100% accommodated. Our restaurant staff is on a 15 minute max time system for all orders. Unfortunately, not always things go as we prefer but I locate the server and correct any flaw in our system. It is always unfortunate when the actions of a few cause an issue to others and we apologize for any inconvenience. As far as gratuity being added into your bill; this is standard law. All businesses in Jamaica must have G.C.T. (Tax) included into their bills. As I am sure you can understand, this is certainly not an issue that we could prevent as much as we would like to. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and I regret that your experience did not reflect our dedication to service.

Thank You!!

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels