“Not as advertised”

Ranked #43 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Buffalo, New York
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Too much money for what you get!! Staff were pleasent enough however the rooms just had that old feeling to them. If the rates were cheaper this place wouln't be bad.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank joey h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Beautiful room, partial ocean view at a great nightly rate, wonderfully kind and attentive staff, from the front desk to the housekeeping, and everyone in between.

I "chauffeur" from Mo Bay airport to the Palms, and back was Leon Spense, who's been in service to tourists for 26 years <http://taxinegril.com>.

Room Tip: Really fine piña coladas at the bar but I don't know about the restaurant, I opted for street fo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Been to The Palms before and it has deteriorated greatly in a very short time. Word is that it has recently been repossessed by the bank. They were consistently running out of basic supplies, no bread at the restaurant, no mint for mojitios etc.(which is funny as the bar is called Mojitos and has a long list of different mojitios on their bar menu!). Security on the beach/property is pretty much non-exsistent and the Jamaican "beachcombers" come right on to the property selling their wares. When Ramsey, the former security guard, was there this would never have happened. In fact the whole vibe of this property has changed since prior visits. Agree with others about entry doors to rooms look like they had been broken into and could have been easily opened by anyone. Website shows a nice pool and on prior visits it was in full use, this trip it was in total disrepair with a garden hose running to it to replace water. It was closed most of our visit. No one to help put out beachchairs and we watched guests struggle to get a chair off top of a huge stack. You now have to request beachtowels from the kitchen/breakfast wait staff who "appear" to be way too busy to help with that. The restuarant was pretty much empty our whole visit and so we ate at other spots on the beach. We had no hot water for most of our stay and any water pressure from shower was little more than a cold dribble. On one day we had NO water at all! We talked to other guests that were having the same issues with the water. None of the staff appeared to be happy to be there, with the exception of Max and Delores at the bar who consistently gave great service. The beach in front of the property has pretty much eroded leaving barely a strip of sand, apparently after the November storms. Do feel bad writing such a negative review as we are very easy going travelers but want to prepare others for the demise of this property. We were disappointed with our stay here,this time around even though we had a great overall time in Jamaica. Will probably not return to The Palms for awhile. Might try Seawind Resort next door next visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank gypsydancer

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We chose The Palms because it was on the beach at the right price. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The rest of Negril was not so pleasant. If you must go to Negril, this is a good option for travelers looking to spend around $100 and be beachside.

Security was the issue here. About a third of the walls are made up of windows and doors that are made of wooden slates. They open rather easy and the wooden peg holding them closed doesn't do much to make you feel safe. There are lots of shady people roaming the streets and beaches in Negril.

Room Tip: Go for a second floor room because they are safer.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DerekBosso
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. There is a loud bar next door which has something on every night. We went to the reception desk many times and asked for another room at the other side of the hotel but they claimed to be fully booked and to only have two twin rooms (I was with a friend) and therefore "unfortunately" unable to help. But they didn't do anything else to help either, like for example come up to us and apologize and find another suitable solution. Just no customer service at all.
The whole stay we did not have any hot water, and from the shower hardly any water came out. I had to wash my hair in the sink to make sure shampoo was removed.

The room was more like a beach hut, all the windows and doors were just wooden shutters. The aircon and the generator were placed on the back of the room and made an incredible amount of noise.

The restaurant food is nice and I like the wooden decor of the restaurant and the bar and some of the staff were friendly. Other staff members had a real attitude and were very disorganized and kept on "forgetting" to bring orders.

I would find another hotel for your stay and pay a couple of dollars more for a normal hotel room with a normal shower and hot running water and less noisy.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sanne E
Chicago
Reviewed 11 December 2011

The Palms Resort is located in a prime location - in the middle of the famous seven mile beach. There is a lot to see and do or just relax. This was my second trip to Negril and wanted to stay at a smaller and non-inclusive resort to really experience the local Jamaican flavors. I stayed at Beaches Negril previously and felt robbed of that experience. Overall the resort was good. Rooms definitely need updating. The staff made up for the less than desirable rooms. They were friendly and accommodating. I got a fantastic massage from Evelyn for half the price of what I paid at Beaches. I had left my diamond necklace at the spa and she delivered it to my room immediately.
Food and drinks were fantastic!!! Excellent local flavors and fresh seafood and fish! I would return to this resort again. I hope the new owners will read my review and update the rooms…even just a touch of paint or new tiles would make a big difference.
I would return to this resort again for the location, food, drinks and price of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a more updated room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Tangerine_Lover
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I love negril. I visit a few times each year. Booked the palms two nights just to try something new. I visited the websites and wavered on my decision to book and finally a last minute deal of $60 a night hooked me. I worried that that price would put me in the worse room but the room was as one the rooms pictured on the website. Let me just say this hotel lacks the basic necessities. No phone in room, broken locks and safes, poor lighting, hard cheap beds and old dingy sheets and towels. The beach was nice but small and the pool was closed. Dont pay for an ocean view. I had the closest room to the beach and there is no view except for garden from any room. The local food next door at pilot's cafe was cheaper and better. In the fact that was the best part of the trip! Oh and forget about sleeping because they turn the speakers up full blast at 8pm for their nightly parties. The restaurant was empty and my order was wrong twice and lipstick was on my glass. I couldn't have done more than two nights. I didnt feel safe sleeping there with the broken locks. The bartender was kind but there are much better hotels on the beach. Sadly I am sure I had the ocean deluxe room they they advertise and had I paid the $150 a night rate I would have been fuming mad! I will not be returning to the palms. They couldn't pay me to do that again.

• Stayed November 2011