“Nice change from all-inclusive- great location!”
Review of Negril Palms Hotel

Negril Palms Hotel
Ranked #42 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Portland, Maine
“Nice change from all-inclusive- great location!”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

After staying at the RIU in Montego Bay, this little hotel was a nice change. We arrived and checked in easily...the rooms are clean with white walls and white bedding. I loved the wooden doors and windows, also the bathroom floor (including the shower floor) were wooden. Try to get a room on the 2nd floor because the ceiling is much taller making the room more spacious! The fan and A/C worked great in room A20 and it stayed very cool. The only bummer about that room is it is closest to the road so you could hear the traffic. There are balconies on all the rooms so you can sit outside. You can't get any closer to the beach! The pool was working great and the deck is beautiful- it reminded me of South Beach with the little cabanas and colorful cushions on the chairs. The bar is small...our bartender was so sweet and she made us amazing banana daquiris. The food was very delicious too! I think if you are expecting over the top service, you might be disappointed but after reading some of the bad reviews, I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly pleased. It seems like they are in between management, working to revamp the place. There was some work being done on the rooms while we were there- I think it will be a great place to return to someday to see the improvements! My group of 4 couples enjoyed our stay in Negril and were happy the Palms Resort =)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Christeeni24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Belfast
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel was just as I expected from reading previous trip advisor reports. It is not a boutique resort as the pictures on various websites show and you do get the feeling when staying there that there is no management to oversee the running of the place. It is rough around the edges but has so much potential to be amazing. I still chose to stay here as it is all about location and this hotel is the closest hotel on the most beautiful beach in Jamaica.

I was in a deluxe room but it was still very basic I had no hot water for 4 days, again I knew this was a possibility before I booked so did not even bother mentioning it to management.

My room was cleaned every day and fresh towels provided. The maid did an exceptional job and left the most beautiful decorative displays with flowers on the bed each day. I left a tip everyday for her and at the end of my stay she came and hugged me and thanked me for the tips. The service from the reception was also lovely they will arrange whatever you need.

However I found the restaurant staff to be unfriendly and slow they are clearly unhappy in their job. The food was actually very nice but you get what is available rather than what you order i.e. ordered banana pancakes they came out as cinnamon. When I let them know this is not what it says on the menu they just shrugged and said this is what it is now.

A lot of this may sound negative but would I stay here again, yes because I did not come here for 5 star treatment I came here to chill and get the real flavour of Jamaica. I loved my time here and I met some really nice people at the Palms we had drinks on the beach together and went for meals I do not believe you will get these experiences in an all inclusive resort.

They do try to sell you everything on the beach but are not aggressive and if you say no they are respectful and move on it is all part of the experience. Trust me for anyone that independently travels they are not aggressive .... I have been to lots of places in the world and Negril is a special spot ....

3 Thank SarahJim
Mt Pleasant,NC
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We were at The Palms the same time as John A. I must agree with him. The closeness to the beach and to other cultural venues made The Palms the ideal location. I agree with John also about the staff. Very helpful getting transportation with Easton aka, Chicken, who also provided me with a cell phone for $20 USD for 12 days. (All international and local calls I wanted to make included.) Thank you, Easton for the phone and for being there when you wanted him. Thanks to Mrs. Brown. The housekeeping was excellent and the staff's willingness to provide you with what you asked for was abundant. Henry was very professional and especially kind and generous. We did have some repairs that were needed. I was frustrated due to waiting for the repairs, but they were taken care of once I reached the person who could do the job. Things then settled down and we were content. Our repairs were for the air and water, no ants, and no After 8 nights we moved to Sandals for a wedding. It was great, but my husband and I both missed The Palms. When you travel to Jamaica, you are forced to slow down and relax. You can't help it. It's good for your health and your attitude. We had a great time and met wonderful people from all over the world at The Palms. It may not have been a five star resort, but you definitely get what you pay for. As John A said, The Palms is for the more adventurous traveler. Not sure if anyone mentioned that this little resort is probably closer to the beach than any other. Not to worry, the tide never moves. That was something we commented on several times. Definitely not like the Southern east coast of the US. Worth the stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE.

This "resort" is absolutely the worst maintained facility I've ever stayed at. Now usually, I read reviews and hear people complain about things such as noise, my bed wasn't fluffy enough or trivial things of that nature. That is NOT the case here. This place is nothing short of disgusting. I had to marvel at the audacity of ownership calling this place a resort.

The Rooms

The walls are spackled over but unpainted and look as if at some point there was some liquid damage throughout most of the rooms but they never got around to fixing it. Cleaning Maids are non-existant as we stayed there for 4 nights and had our room "cleaned" twice. The surfaces are never wiped short of them mopping the floor. The Sink, toilet, mirror and counter top were all full of build-up and stains. I had to wipe down the surfaces with Kleenex wipes so that my fiancee felt comfortable using the facilities. The bedsheets were not changed once throughout our entire stay and the towels were only changed because we tracked down one of the maids and asked her to change them. All of the sheets/towels were a dingy off white gray but obviously at one point were white. We at one point had a maid knock on our door to clean while we were readying to go to the beach. We asked her to come back in thirty minutes to which she replied "she's already past her shift". Have I mentioned the ant and mosquito infestation? I don't mean one or two. I mean infested.

The Grounds
The bar is called Mojito's which is funny because they didn't have Mint once. It is the only bar devoid of energy and music and could not make Mojitos despite their name. It became our running joke that we would ask everyday if they had Mint and they would smile and shake their head no. Security is nothing short of a joke. It's one lady who does nothing but lift the gate letting people into the grounds. Enjoying the pool alone were the bugs as it had a hose feeding it water and was out of service the whole time. It takes a lot of audacity to call this place a resort. What is included? Safe will cost you money, they never offer you beach towels, the umbrellas for the beach were all "damaged by the last storm" which resulted in me going to the hotel next door to pay for an umbrella. As soon as i stepped off the bottom step leading to the sand on our very first day there were people harassing us to buy fruit and marijuana. So much for Security.

I read another review where someone basically made it seem as though this is common once you get outside of the closed off world of resorts. Well the problem is that this place is advertised as a resort, and I would hesitate to call it a hostel. The grounds are horribly maintained and it is actually very unique to this location. I have stayed in hotels/resorts in areas much worse off than this. This has little to do with the state of the country and more to do with failed leadership and lack of care.

This hotel is bankrupt and currently in receivership. That explains the condition.

DO NOT STAY HERE. Spend a few extra dollars and go somewhere else. If you are really worried about cost, sleep on the beach. This Hotel is a complete waste of money.

Room Tip: The "Deluxe Rooms" don't offer much in the way of deluxe. They are just as filthy as...
6 Thank NYccheval

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you are aesthetically taxed by bathroom fixtures that aren't pristine, or by applieances and finishes that have clearly seen better days, then I suggest you check into a Fairfield Inn by the Airport in Cincinnati. But, if you want to stay fewer than fifty (or so) steps from Seven Mile Beach in Negril, Jamaica, then The Palms is an outstanding value and venue.

Clearly, when you step outside the cloistered world of the all-inclusives, you enter the world of Real Jamaica. You must remember it isn't America, there is very little public infrastructure, and the people do the best they can with the resources they have.

The housekeeping staff is wonderfully attentive; they seem to follow behind you and mop up the sand as you track it up from the beach. The food in the restaurant was quite good (other than the $3 coffee, which was mentioned by other reviewers), and it arrive at our beach-side table warm and tasty.

Yes, the pool area is rather beat up. But, it was cleaned twice during our week-long stay, and it was the closest to the beach of any resort we saw. The sunsets there are incomparable.

Mrs. Brown, who headed up the Front Desk and Security was a delight. She made transportation arrangements for us, made outstanding recommendations for Church on Sunday, and generally helped us with the lay of the land. The gentleman Mrs. Brown found who drove for us was a delightful man (nicknamed, anachronistically "Chicken"). He even helped one of our children complete a history report by arranging an opportunity to visit with his high-school daughter to interview her about Jamaican history.

As I say, The Palms is clearly not a brand-new Country Inn and Suites out by the Interstate. Conversely, it is not (by a long shot) a tumbled-down Knights Inn on the edge of the urban crack-zone, either. They are good people, and I highly recommend The Palms for the more adventurous traveler.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Fairburn , Ga
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The plus.
Nice staff
The Ackee and saltfish was very good.
The beach is wonderful.

The minus.
The bathroom floors , yuck
No water
No hot water
No spray shower head- trinkled out
Dingy and thin towels
Raggedy sheets
No screens on the windows.
Sewer smell in the morning.
The pool is peeling and @€&#% up.

Other than that can't beat $83 a night and a king size bed.

• Stayed March 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We checked in and left the same day. The place was dirty and infested with ants. Our room had one little lamp that only lit half the room. As I place my toilettries in the bathroom, my brush/lotion were covered in ants in minutes. We asked to be moved into a different room, the manager could not understand why we didn't think it was an acceptable room. They moved us into a better lit room however the air conditioner did not work and when we turned on the fan, a bunch of dust fell on the bed. The bathroom toilet was filthy and full of stain...see photo. I filed a complaint via Expedia....I requested to have Expedia update the photos of the hotel rooms and grounds. The garden was uncared for...grass was long and place doesn't look like it has been swept for days. Double thumbs down for this place. You can stay at a better place for the same price ie. The Rooms on the Beach

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple