“Environment, yes. Rooms, no. Food, eh. Jamaica, Yes yes yes!”
Review of Negril Palms Hotel

Negril Palms Hotel
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I visited Negril in the latter part of October 2013 and as always, I did not book anything in advance. I generally have a drink at the Sangster, Montego Bay airport and decide then (having maybe 5 hotels in mind) where I will lodge.
At any rate, after my cocktail, I decided upon the Palms, Negril Resort. I had read mixed reviews and had no idea what to expect.

Getting There...
For one, you can get any legal shuttle which caters to groups to take you to Negril for max $25 USD one-way (R/t $50 USD). The shuttles are located in the airport (Juta is a popular one). The ride to Negril and more specifically, the Palm Resort is very comfy. The shuttles are all air-conditioned.

What to Expect..
The property is garden-styled. There is a palm-tree walk-way which leads to all of the rooms, the beach area, and the main building for check-in/out. I found the property to be NOT well-lit. Very dark, especially for lone traveler. The rooms are NOT well-maintained. The linens need to be changed. The pillows and spreads were an OFF-WHITE color, evidence of years of use. I also didn't like the wood-throughout feel. The wood had cracks in the window panes that I felt lizards could easily crawl through. Ground level rooms all have a nice garden-style patio with tables and chairs for lounging, reading, having breakfast etc.

Ahhh the good stuff..
The beach, the sunset, the drinks...ALL AMAZING. This resort is SAVED by their outdoor lounge area by the beach (which is beautifully decorated), their super-friendly bartender, and water-sports staff, and the Negril sunshine, sunset, white sands, and the warmth of the Caribbean sea.
I forgot to mention, the property is guarded/gated 24 hours. Safety was NOT an issue.
If it were for the rooms and front desk staff, I would never return.

Staying Connected..
If your cellular phone is unlocked, you can go into town, a 5 minute taxi ride and purchase a Digicel SIM card with an international plan. (Digicel is preferred over the other carriers because it's the most economical and the service is good). My personal go-to however, is to use Wi-Fi. I mean why not? With Wi-Fi I can make calls, video calls even. On the property, Wi-Fi is poorer in some rooms. Beware! I changed rooms twice. Rooms closest to the main point of check-in/out and those near the restaurant get the best service. In the other rooms, the Wi-Fi is spotty.

Front Desk...
As you know, the front desk staff can sometimes make or break a stay... For the most part, I only saw two agents on my very brief stay. The woman I checked in with was not very friendly. She would not honor an Expedia rate so I simply pulled out my trusty cell-phone, logged on to Expedia and booked at a much lower rate right in front of her. When I returned in two days to extend my stay by a day or two, she was hesitant about extending the Expedia rate that I was ALREADY staying on. Having worked in the hotel industry, it's an obvious no-brainer to extend under such circumstances. Not to mention, her colleague had already okayed it the day before. I kind of just ruled my experience with that particular agent as perhaps she just had a chip on her shoulder. Didn't bother me any because I STILL got the Expedia rate at $70 USD cheaper.

Location...
This resort is centrally located on the Negril strip. It's a short walk to Maragaritaville and just about everything else. Just across the street, a block away is a mini-super market. There is also a restaurant next door and one across the street. (Let's just say, your food options are VERY close by). The mini-mart has everything from juice to bread to pain killers, shampoo, soap, u name it!

6 words to sum my experience up: Can I get a do-over? :-) Yes, I enjoyed it that much. As previously stated, the rooms and facilities aren't up-to-date and could use some tender love and care but the location, made up for it all.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is best closest to lobby area and the restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank CaribbeanWay876

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This really is one of the better value options on the beach, the Negril (and Jamaican in general) hotel standards are pretty low for the price. The room design is nice, but very badly maintained, we just kept thinking how much potential it had. Staff were great, and your options are limited for non all-inclusive resorts, so still consider.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room at booking.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank epiphany777
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My fiance an I have traveled Jamaica an th carribean for 17years. We love the cuisine and atmosphere. Upon checkin we advised Ms Charmain at the front desk that we brought a suitcase filled with shoes/clothes to donate to a local church or center.She offered a donation suggestion an insisted I use my credit card for a $100 deposit. I explained we booked our room through expedia114231988567 but complied with the card. Within 3hours over $1400 was illegally(unknown for 3days)withdrawn.We had hot water3out of 7days. Nice cleaning an pool staff(as we respectfully tipped dailey),rooms and pool average.Ivans,Best in th West an Sweet Spot are great food choices. I wouldnt suggest Negril Palm,but Jamaicas always great,just choose wisely an be respectful. This hotel should not be booked without security concerns. No rooms are beachfront. The beach is a very short walk away and bring LOTS of off for the mosquitos. Believe it they are real!!!

Room Tip: choose second level rooms and buy mosquito coils or spray for room. SECURITY CONCERNS!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MrDoRight187
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was my first trip to Negril.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here & was immediately put @ ease by Cordelia the receptionist who really should have "given me what for" after I arrived a little bit worse for wear after the journey & more that a little cantankerous.
Firstly Cordelia was friendly, calm & accommodating & always had a bright welcoming smile. Customer service is the key on any front desk and Cordelia had the right attributes for the job.

OK, Mrs Brown, SECURITY.
From the minute I arrived Mrs B made sure I knew how seriously she took my safety as a solo traveller. I made sure she knew when I left the property & when i returned as I didn't want her " to call the embassy" if she didn't hear from me. LOL. No joke though from the time I arrived I felt comfortable knowing that Mrs B "had my back"...
I'd love to see someone try get past her!!!!!

The location was perfect for me, situated on 7mile beach not far from Times Sq Mall & Knutsford Express offices.
The resort surprised me as I don't do hotels very well but found it to be peaceful & relaxing with private pool, beach, restaurant, bar and gift shop.
The rooms were of a colonial style & basic but had most of what I required including a safe in the room which you would normally had to pay extra for.
My only criticism which I hope is not perceived as negative is that for those of us who like a morning cuppa, maybe a kettle could be provided in the rooms & hooks in the bathroom behind the doors.
I loved my stay & it is because of the hospitality that i received here alone that would ensure that I return to Negril.
Ps. I didn't see anything nasty or unpleasant....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SisterGad
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 10 days with the family and was very sceptical due to the reviews...

HOWEVER it was great...

All the staff spoke to my kids everyday and knew there names, took time out and made them feel welcome...
If you are a reasonable person with human values this place is great.
Everyone body was helpful even down to night security who even sorted out a baby bottle at 4am for me when the kitchen was closed.

I had my anniversary with them and the bar manager made it very special with a dinner on the beach (banners, candles in the sand etc) and a beautiful arrangement in the room. (Please see pictures)

The room was amazing with A/C and a ceiling fan and very clean.

This hotel and the staff was so great that I had a terrible time in Miami. I spent 12 days in Jamaica and then went to Miami for 6 days, the different in service was shocking, the Miami hotel only cared about getting my money where the Negril Palm actually cared about my family's happiness

I will be back

Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Pennipen
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Do not stay here! There are nothing but thieves that work here. The bathrooms are disgusting! The manager of the property Joseph Smith is a crook!!!!! We had many of our items stolen. Lap top, cell phone and jewelry. There was no sign of forced entry. We filed a police report and still to this day we haven't received any type of conversation of apology or compensation. We own a house in the hills but it was being renovated at the time. Do not stay here unless you want to take the chance of being violated and have an experience that we did. This place is on the outs just read the other reviews.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank krystalina218
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The staff was great!!!! The hotel itself not so GOOD. This place NEEDS to be renovated(desperately). The drape was filthy...I asked for it to be changed which they did, the staff was very accommodating, which made it bearable. Leaky faucet, the toilet felt as if I was about to break it each time I sat down (I weigh 98 lbs). Broken bedside lamps, nail protruding from closet door. Overall this place needs a 2 - 2.5 rating instead of the 3.5 rating that it's given.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family