“Excellent for the Price”
Review of Negril Palms Hotel

Negril Palms Hotel
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 7 February 2010

My friends and I stayed at The Palms in October, which is a very quiet time of year. The hotel staff were very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. A little pricey I felt for the meals. You must remember that you are on Jamaican time and there is no rush! The hotel room was great, only complaint would be the air conditioning was a little tempermental.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 January 2010

This is going to sound like a paid advertisement, but it is definitely not. We just loved this place that much.

My 20 yr old son and I stayed at the Palms last week and I am still smiling about our good luck in finding this place. I should say, it found us. We actually moved from the hotel we were already staying in once we met the extremely friendly staff at their upscale beachfront deck and bar. We were immediately greeted and treated as if we were old friends.

Everything about The Palms is cool... the music they play, the live entertainment events, the comfy couches surrounding the pool, the rooms, the food and the staff. I just can't say enough good about this place.

Negril is a place where you will be approached by many persistant, but usually polite beach vendors. Most of them recognize you after a day or two, and if you told them "no thanks", they pass you by the next time. Some of them are VERY persistant, so we really loved the fact that The Palms does NOT allow vendors on their slice of the beach or on their property to bother you. They have 24x7 security on their beachfront, and you can really relax alone or with your family. This security was the number one reason we moved from our first hotel just a few doors away.

Also very important to know.. the rooms and beds are very nice. We had zero complaints about our accomodations. It appears that a lot of time was spent on giving this hotel a rich boutique look and feel. Don't let that fool you though, The Palms was very reasonably priced. I think we paid same price as we did for the other hotel with rock hard beds and no security.

There is non doubt in my mind that I will be returning to The Palms. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Negril.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank CDu4Chicago
Reviewed 16 January 2010

We really enjoyed staying at the Palms. It is not perfect and if you go expecting 5 star accommodation you will be disappointed. That said we loved the staff, the deck, pool and bar were great, and the beach is magnificent. Furthermore The Palms sits on a stretch of 7 mile beach that cannot be beat - close walking distance to everything including restaurants and beach bars like Cosmos (great lunch), Normas (very good dinner), Sunset Beach (great little bar), Kuyuba (good dinner but overpriced), Jamaica Tamboo (good lobster pizza), and Ossie's Jerk Chicken Shack across the street. Cab rides are easy and cheap to the cliffs and we really liked Alice's for amazing curry conch, Rockhouse Restaurant for a romantic dinner, and Rick's for a little fun. Also next door to the Palms is Sheretta's Restaurant and they had a wonderful reggae / drum band on Thursday night with an awesome bonfire on the beach. All in all, the Palms made for a great place to stay.

The beach and pool area are fantastic. Every day the staff put loungers and umbrellas out on the beach, and also comb it of debris (keeping it very clean). The pool has these great loungers/day beds where you can take in the sun, grab a drink, read a book and take a nice little nap.

The owner - John - has a vision for the Palms and he is working hard to make it happen. I think this place provides a nice "in between" the large hotels and all inclusive resorts and some of the dumpier hotels on 7 mile. Here are some helpful insights however - the hotel is a work in process; they are still renovating the rooms. Half the rooms on the north side of the property have been renovated and these are the units they first fill so you will want to specifically request a room in this area. The rooms to the south are only booked if and when the others are filled. We did not see these rooms but from the outside it looks like you want to avoid. Second, the room itself is tidy and spartan. We had a few issues with the hot water. One day did my wife have to say anything and it was promptly fixed. The bed was comfortable though the linens were cheaper than what I would normally expect for a resort hotel. The AC did not work properly, probably because we did not have a remote. Good or bad we didn't need it due to the somewhat cool weather we had and our room was on the first floor and it probably helped to keep it cool. Note that noise from the road and the food shack to the north (not The Palms) can be problematic.

The beach bar is cool. The bartenders were prompt though I found the drinks to be a bit pricey by 7 mile standards and, also, the mojitos weren't that good (the bar is called Mojitos). To each their own, but I think they were a little tight with the rum. As in I couldn't taste any. The Red Stripe was just fine. Kristyl's, the restaurant, was okay. We did purchase the breakfast plan ($15 per couple per day) and thought this was a good move on our part. Breakfasts were good. The banana pancakes are delicious. My wife likes saltfish and ackee and it came with these incredible johnny cakes. We also ate dinner one night when they ran a lobster dinner special of $39 per couple and it was good. I think that Kristyl's looks very attractive from the beach and they do brisk business but if I'm being completely honest it has some room to improve, especially when you compare it to some of the restaurants in the area including Norma's and Kuyuba. On Sunday night they had a decent jazz band and it was a good atmosphere. This was our worst day weather wise so I imagine that under normal circumstances and good weather jazz night would be really enjoyable.

Also let me add something on the security at The Palms. We felt very safe. 24/7 there is a guard posted at the entrance and during the day and late to the night (11pm I think) there is security along the beach. These guys did a good job of keeping vendors from harassing too much. If they saw a vendor or "farmer" getting a little too aggressive or outlasting their welcome they quickly and calmly moved them down the beach.

Bottom line is that I will stay here again and would recommend it to most anyone. The Palms is a great value. The staff is so nice and they work their tails off. Anytime we had a request it was met promptly and with a lot of Jamaican friendliness. The Palms sees itself as a boutique hotel and likely one day will be that - especially when the hotel rooms and restaurant meet the amazing beach and pool. My wife and I look forward to seeing that happen and are already contemplating the next time we can get back to Negril and the Palms.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank T_from_Chicago
Reviewed 13 January 2010

My husband and are I avid fans of Jamaica and frequent visitors, we have stayed in several hotels,and The Palms Resort has to be the absolute BEST stay we have ever had!!! The grounds are gorgeous, the staff is super friendly, very helpful, and most attentive, they really want you to enjoy your well deserved vacation!!!! You almost feel guilty from the attention!! The rooms were beautiful, Zen like even, very clean, chic, modern and still island style with all the comforts of home! The food was fantastic, even the drinks were delicious,try the Dirty Monkey!!!! The pool was gorgeous, the entertainment was fantastic, what more can I say?? The price was unbelievable,incredibly affordable! The Palms Resort felt like a $400/night resort without all the cheesy planned activities and high price tag!!! GO GO GO you will be sooooooo glad you did!!!!!! We are going back in february, it was that amazing and affordable!!!! They even offered us free Skype to call and check in on kids back home!!! Incredible!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rbrownluv
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We checked in Dec. 26th,our room was a disaster !!. The A.C did not work properly and it had no remote so you had 2 choices,ON full blast or, OFF and hot .our T.V was black and white and color depending on the channel,Oh, it also did not have a remote. The T.V had an extension cord that ran on the floor across the bathroom entrance .There was NOTHING on the walls but one uncovered light bulb ,no decorations at all .There was nowhere to put any clothes other than one broken nightstand.There was also no comforter on the bed, just one plain white sheet,so with the broken A.C we had to sleep with beach towels on us for a blanket .We asked SEVERAL times to please change rooms but were told "hotel is full" even though there were several empty surrounding rooms.We have been to Jamaica 16 times and wanted to try this place.Maybe we just had the worst room ?? other reviews seemed O.K and We are not picky at all,It's just that this place is susposed to be a "Boutique" hotel ?? There is not even a cup for water or a coffee pot ..On the good side, the Hotel has a great location,Wonderful pool and bar ,and ALL of the employees,bartenders ,security,waitresses and front desk are very friendly.It is not their fault that this hotel is not all that it is built up to be .Please E-mail if you have any questions jamaicadelite@comcast.net

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jamaicadelite
kristly, Public Relations Manager at Negril Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2010

The hotel Housekeeping staff employs inspectors that check each room prior to a guest checking in, therefore if there are any problems with a room it would be noticed and the room would be put out of order awaiting repair. Once a guest checks into an inspected room and later on the guest reports problems with their rooms. The necessary department will jump on situation immediately. In this case, judging off pictures you where book in a standard room. Our standard rooms are completely different from our newly designed and renovated rooms. Most of our guest that complain on Trip Advisor BOOKED A STANDARD ROOM verses a deluxe newly designed room. Our Standard rooms are more affordable and have fewer luxuries then our deluxe newly renovated side. Hotel directors are currently starting renovations to the standard rooms this year!!

Reviewed 10 January 2010

I have spent a good bit of time at the hotel on the beach during the day. I met the owners and they are very friendly and accesible.I stayed there for New Year's 2008-2009. We had great food and aexcellent service. Am going back in February. Used to stay in the cliffs,but am getting converted to the beach.

Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Just got back from a week at the Palm Hotel in Negril. Rooms are pretty basic and right now only about half are available for guests. Appears the hotel is going through a significant level of remodeling - which it definitely needed. But what has been done is absolutely outstanding. Rooms are functional - queen bed, tv, air conditioner, ceiling fan, and a nice bath - not their to stay in the room all the time. We really loved the way they have setup the pool / restaurant / bar area. Pool is very nice and how they have set up couches with big cushy pillows is really cool. Location is also extremely convenient to most everything on the beach. What really made it for my family and I though was the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. Food is really good across all three meals - would agree with someone's earlier note that the prices are a bit high but quality is very good. Several good restaurants close by including Norma's which is generally very good. I find at any of these tropical destinations the quality of a restaurant's food can vary widely from one day to the next - but generally can say the food at Norma's is always tasty. Would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for something other than the big all inclusives that are just around the corner in Negril. Luxury digs it is not - but offers a good value for the money and really a super group of staff to take care of you. Oh - and the beach is absolutely gorgeous!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family