“perfect”
Review of Negril Palms Hotel

Negril Palms Hotel
Ranked #43 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 16 March 2010

you want to stay here! Everything is irie! For the money you can't go to a better hotel. And you won't find a better staff anywhere on the seven mile beach. Don't trust bad reveiws, the palms is all you need and more.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 March 2010

After reading many reviews, Tavelocity, Expedia and Traveladvisor - we decided on The Palms Negril for a quick get away. We couldn't have made a better choice. The staff - from Anne Marie and Francine in the front office to Ramsay on security and Samantha at the bar, took care of us with a smile and laugh. We even met several other parties that were not staying at The Palms who would wander by to enjoy the view, the food and the exceptional staff. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the chaise lounges by the pool became our home away from home - from early morning at breakfast to after dinner coffee watching the surf. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. The drinks..... not so much, but you can avoid that by getting a fridge and filling it with your own Red Stripe! My only other "complaint" if you want to call it that is that the website doesn't make it clear that the fridge is not a true "amenity" but only available at an extra charge. Bottom line..... this is an absolutely great deal for the area if you are looking for a la carte as opposed to all inclusive, but with an all inclusive 'is there anything we can do for you" attitude. I would definitely recommend it to close friends, but not everyone because then it wouldn't be the well kept secret it is! Tips - don't use the taxi service from the Hotel - walk across the street for better service, better prices and friendlier independent taxi drivers. Our two recommendations from the hotel ended up charging us 50 - 100% more than the going rate for several standard fares. Lesson learned. Ask for Calvin or Easton at Ozzies - they will get you there in style and for much less! Food - you cannot beat Bourbon Beach TRUE jerk style chicken. Ask for Jermaine!

Reviewed 8 March 2010

We very much enjoyed our stay. Rooms were small but very nice and well kept. We even skipped having our room cleaned a couple days as we were out and about traveling and just slept there briefly. On site food was very good, and priced reasonably, as were the drinks at the bar on the beach.
Staff was helpful in many was including schedualing trips and transportation. Security was good. Waitstaff is very courteous.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Palms in March. From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel right at home. Check in was easy and quick and Richard led us to our room which was clean and simple. The bed was comfortable, the AC worked great, the TV worked (although we only turned it on once to try to find the weather forecast – no reason to watch TV on a tropical island!), the lighting was fine, there was a hair dryer, and the room was immaculate. The cleaning crew did a great job every day. The rooms are not luxurious but we were comfortable and since we had seven miles of beach to explore, we only used the room to shower and sleep.

We ate dinner at Krystal’s on our first night - the service and food was perfect, the scene was very romantic. Breakfast at Krystal’s is very nice too - I am still dreaming about the lobster omelet and the coffee was the best in the area. The staff is very accommodating and everyone seems to take pride in what they do, whether it's mixing a drink, filling your coffee cup or just making sure you are happy or comfortable. The beach was beautiful, very clean and Ramsey did a good job of bringing us fresh beach towels and lounge chairs. We liked the location of the Palms; we walked the whole beach and thought that the beach near the Palms was the prettiest. The pool was really nice too; I enjoyed floating on a raft reading my book in the morning. My boyfriend and I really loved the colorful couches too, great for having a snack, reading or watching the amazing sunsets. We felt very safe walking the beach at night, checking out the reggae shows and little beach bars. Both my boyfriend and I agree that when we visit Negril again, we look forward to staying at the Palms. I cried when I left – what I would do to be back at the Palms!

2  Thank aemlovesnegril
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We've just returned from our first visit to Jamaica - 4 nights at the Palms Resort - and we had a wonderful time! Although the reviews here seem to be mostly positive, after having read a few negative ones, we went in with some trepidation about what the condition of our room might be. We arrived after dark, exhausted after a long day of travel (and having survived a somewhat surreal cab ride from Montego Bay), and were warmly greeted at the front office. We were escorted to our room by the charming and courteous Richard, who then gave us a brief orientation tour of the resort, and who never failed to greet us by name for the rest of our stay.

As others have said, the best word to describe the room is "minimalist." And the hot water seemed inconsistent on the first day, but was fine every day after that. The only real drawback to our room was that the walls were very thin and the windows were essentially just wooden shutters, so you could hear everything around you. Our room happened to be located on the ground level right next to the parking lot, so we heard the road noise and people coming and going all night. We stayed in a standard room, which had all the necessities, including a really comfy king-sized bed, but we did notice that some rooms (presumably the deluxe rooms) looked a bit nicer, at least from the outside, with sliding glass doors and actual windows. We didn’t think it was a big enough deal to bother asking to switch rooms, but if you are bothered by noise or desire a bit more privacy, you might want to request a room farther back or a deluxe room.

Our first meal on the island was dinner that night, which we had at the on-site restaurant, Kristyl's, and which was absolutely delicious! All of the servers we had were excellent, and Tenielle even remembered after the first day that only one of us took coffee with breakfast. Everything we ate at the restaurant was fabulous, but Davie, our dinner server the first night, made perfect recommendations and became an invaluable resource during our stay.

We did get out and go walking on the beach in both directions, and from what we saw, the pool and beachfront at The Palms are the nicest around. Both are kept pristinely clean, and everything you could want is either steps away or comes to you via the multitude of roaming beach vendors. Ramsay, the head of security, is terrific, but really the entire staff was great. We’re not particularly demanding travelers, but no request was ever denied or delayed. A smile, please, and thank you go a long way.

We will definitely be back to Jamaica, and will definitely be return visitors to The Palms!

Reviewed 6 March 2010

I posted the following review a couple of weeks ago and took it down when the manager from the hotel called me and threatened to not let us stay at the hotel if I didn't take it down. I did take the review down and then two days before we were to leave for Jamaica, the manager called me and told me we couldn't stay at the hotel anyway. Don't leave a bad review for this hotel before you go even if it's true! They won't let you stay there if you do!!!!

After the original posting of this review, and asking to be put in touch with the owner of the hotel - which they assured me was no problem - I got an email from the "owner" of the hotel who is an American living in the Washington D.C. area. The email was completely broken english and looking at the actual owner's website, I don't believe it was from the owner at all. Additionally, the hotel management responded to the original review by saying that I had asked to speak to the owner and the owner doesn't deal with things like this.

We ended up staying down the beach for less money, in a nicer room with a kitchenette with no hassle at all.
Our friends stayed at The Palms and we saw their renovated room - it was fine, nothing special and more expensive then the better place we stayed. Also, our friends had to give a $100 deposit for their room key and were told the safe in the room was only available at a cost of $10 per day.

Be warned about writing a bad review of this hotel, even if it is a completely accurate accounting of what happened.

The original review:

We haven't even stayed at this hotel yet and I am SO disgruntled by the way we have been treated.
We booked a room through expedia and prepaid it and then after reading the reviews on here decided we wanted to have an upgraded room because it sounds like the rooms that haven't been renovated yet are not that great.
I called and was told that it would be $35 to upgrade for the entire week. I repeatedly confirmed with the person on the phone that that was the correct price. She insisted it was. I asked her to send an email to confirm the upgrade and price difference since again, I read on here you want everything in writing from this hotel because if you don't have it you won't get it!
I got no email so I called again. Was told the price was not $35 for the whole week it was $35 for three days but we were upgraded to through the whole week and they would confirm via email. OK, mistakes happen, we are willing to pay $12/night, no problem.

We get the email, it says we are only upgraded for 3 days or our trip. I call back again. Oh, wrong price again, it's actually $35 per night and we aren't going to honor either of the prices we have already given you even though you have one of them in writing. But we will for sure send you an email confirming the whole week's upgrade and throw in a free breakfast. At this point I am getting annoyed but still tolerating it.

No email, no email, no email. Since the third price quote, I have called every single day for 11 days trying to get someone, anyone to send me an email confirming that we in fact have an upgraded room. I have spoken to multiple receptionists, someone in the accounting office and even the general manager (Mr. Summerville) twice. Each time the person tells me they will send me a confirmation email. EACH TIME - that's 11 times someone has told me they will send me a confirmation and NO ONE has done it!!!!!!

I looked at my phone bill online today and I have spent greater then $80 calling Jamaica to try to resolve this situation. When I told them that their response was "well, we are giving you a free breakfast." SERIOUSLY?!?!?! A free breakfast?

We are locked into staying here because we have already paid but I can tell you I will NEVER stay here again and will going to every travel site I have ever heard of and posting this same review.

More then 3 weeks after my original call to upgrade the room, I still have not gotten a confirmation email in return. In total I have called 14 times and spoken with at least 6 different people to no avail.

This place is a HORROR SHOW!!
DO NOT BOOK HERE!!!!!!!!

2  Thank UsMojie
Reviewed 4 March 2010

The Palms resort has its pros and cons.Pros are as follows:
1. The location is excellent. It's right on 7 mile beach around a lot of great spots.
2. The pool area is very nice and the bar is right on the beach.
3. The staff is very friendly and the security looks out for you.(Ramsy is the main security guy and he is great)
4. The beds in the rooms are very big,comfortable(pillow top),and soft.
5. The on site restaurant(Kristyle's) has amazing food and alfresco dining.
6. Sunday jazz night.Very entertaining.Must do.
Now for the cons:
1. Bathrooms suck and hot water is hit or miss.
2. Your T.V may work or it may not.
3. Bad lighting
4. Some outlets may work some don't.Ours in the bathroom did not and it made it very difficult to blow dry my hair.
6. Ladies bring a blow dryer.
7. The room safe is ancient and also cost five dollars per day.
8. No mini bar.You can rent a fridge for $10 per day.
9. The door knobs have problems.1 day my boyfriend stepped out for a moment and when he came back and opened the door it got stuck and we were unable to open it.He had to fetch a butter knife so I could pop the lock from the inside. (Drama)
Being that there are so many places to stay at on 7 miles I think next time I will try a new spot, however I would defenitely go back to the Palms for dinner, jazz night, and afternoon lunch.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple