“Rooms left me cold!”

SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Our group had six rooms rented (six couples) Jan. 20 to Jan. 27, 2010. One couple didn't have any problems with their room. One couple had an air conditioner that leaked a couple waste baskets of water each day all seven days. One couple in the same block (above the kitchen) as the air conditioner problem had problems with the electricty not working three different days. Keep in mind the electricity worked in the room across the hall.
Two of us couples paid extra to have beach front rooms. We were put in block 9 upstairs. The rooms upstairs in block 9 do not have balaconies. So there you are looking out the window. Really, really disappointed to pay extra to look out a window rather than to have a balcony to enjoy morning coffee, etc. Also, block 9 has major issues with their hot water heater. It only worked for four of 13 showers. We also did not have electricity on several occassions in block 9. Usually when we were in our room to shower......no electricity. So no TV, no blow dryer, no lights, no safe. All when you kinda needed to have that stuff. I think if we wouldn't have been put in block 9 we would have enjoyed Rooms. And if the air conditioner room wouldn't have been constantly a pain. So three out of three couples had MAJOR issues. When we talked to the manager she said she would give us a voucher for one night on a later stay. We said we wouldn't stay again. I felt bad for the gals at the front desk. All six rooms in block 9 were usually occupied so they were getting calls constantly in the morning and in the evening (shower time.) In my opinion Rooms should have given us some money back on our stay. They never even offered to move us. The offer would have been nice. They just didn't seem to care. The rooms are clean, the TVs are nice, the rooms are pretty. Just wish we would not have paid extra to have one of the three rooms in the whole place without a balcony and one of six rooms without hot water. We would probably return if the management would have been a little caring or sympathetic. Guess we will go to CCLP on our next vacation. We are not picky, we just wanted them to somehow make it right with us. Had we not been put in block 9 or the block above the kitchen, we probably would have really like Rooms. Patrek the pool guy is awesome. I did tell the manager during a conversation that I would be posting a review on TA and she said "don't threaten me." Wonder why she thought that I was threatening her?!?! We have stayed at the Yellow Bird and at Legends so you know that we weren't expecting nor did we want the Ritz. We liked the Yellow Bird and Legends. We are not picky people.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank lemmon

Reviewed 31 January 2010

Just returned from 2 weeks in Negril. Spent the tail end of the trip at Rooms. Chose the hotel because it was new, got a good price and like the location on the beach. First, it was my 2nd extended stay in Negril (previous trips to MoBay included brief stays in Negril & Treasure Beach). Second, I love Jamaica and don't go there looking for first class hotels, I go for the people and experience.
The room was nice and served its purpose. Decent bed, nice bathroom - good water pressure and all the hot water you could want. No refrigerator but some guests had rented one. I had a collapsible cooler but lack of ice was sometimes an issue. Wall safe in closet - spacious, fit my macbook pro. No issues with power going out (at least that I'm aware of). 2 washers and 2 dryers for guest use but were out of order when I was there. I paid one of the housekeeping staff to do some laundry for me.
Two computers in the office for guests to check email, etc. Wireless available in room for daily fee. I did not purchase the wireless access as there are so many places in Negril with free wifi.
I only ate at the restaurant once and did not enjoy it so went to the places I knew around the hotel. Never had the free breakfast. Found all of the hotel/restaurant staff to be friendly. Only issue I had was when my safe had error message but they were responsive and fixed the problem.
Bottom line, would I stay at Rooms again? Yes, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I tend to prefer the smaller hotels/inns when traveling and Rooms didn't have that same feel. If you have reservations, you'll be fine, it is hard to beat the location and beach (near the water and behind the wall for some privacy). Feel free to send questions

Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank cubs2008
Reviewed 27 January 2010

This hotel is great for the price you pay. Its cheap and cheerful. The rooms are clean and spacious. We had a great view of the beach and the front of the hotel. The staff are wonderful. Must mention Roxanne our housekeeper, and Dwayne who works in the restaurant. Everyone was polite and efficient. We had a great two stay at rooms and will definitely stay there again. Big up to 'Lazy' the life guard!!

1  Thank sexysherry
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Just got back from 10 days at Rooms Negril..I stayed there last year when it opened and needless to say, I returned again this year only to find it even better...
All of the same staff is still there..the front desk staff were very helpful and whoever says they are rude, perhaps maybe shouild go check into the Ritz Carleton. This hotel is small and very quiet but the rooms are very modern, clean and you cannot ask for more..
You can rent a fridge which is really beneficial for leftovers and cold drinks for a minimal 8$ per day..The internet access at the front desk is FREE , which is really great..I have never found that at any other hotel..But with all that being said..The location is TOP NOTCH..The beach and water are the most beautiful thing..Roots Bamboo on one side and a great place called 23/7 on the other (they deliver till all hours of the night..) We arrived after a very long trip and were exhausted and within 30 minutes, we had Jerk Chicken Pizza and the most delicious burgers at our door to eat on our balcony in the comfort of our own room.

We ate at the most delicious places..Bourbon Beach for my pick of the best and spiciest Jerk, Jamaica Tamboo for the absolute best lobster pizza, Chances for the best Caribbean Pizza, 3 Dives for the best Lobster..OMG!!! And my pick for absolute hands down the best meal EVER was BENTLEYS CRABHOUSE...Bentley lives way up in the West end..He has 3 tables on this beautiful balcony and you call him the day of or day before to tell him you are coming and he will cook you up the meal of a lifetime..But you ave to like Crab..He does chicken and lobster and anything you want with all the trimmings..We ate like Royalty and all for a very very cheap price..If anyone is interested in his coordinates..email me, if I post it here , it will get deleted by Tripadvisor..

As for Rooms, you have all you want within walking distance..Miss Sonias across the street, Jamaica tamboo and Bourbon Beach just down the street and many other great places to go.

When staying at Rooms..Go see PETRAC the pool guy..Give him a few $ everyday and you will not have to ever worry about chairs and towels he will do it al for you..(ask him for the floats..they are great..) See Gardenia the grounds keeper for anyhing else you need , he is so friendly and willing to anything for you..

Shernette and Tashana at the Front Desk are the greates and they are all under the management of Miss Grant who has this place running like a well oiled machine..

There are 2 drawbacks..the restuarant..(it does not belong to the hotel) this place needs to perk up breakfast..That is the only downside..it is more than TERRIBLE!!! 2 pieces of dry toast and Sunny D OJ and weak coffee..They need more to keep you going till lunch..I had breakfast off the menu a few times and the food there is really good and not expensive..They will even serve you on the beach and if you want lunch, just order and tell them what time and they will deliver it to your chair..You can start a tab and settle it up when you go in for the day..Otherwise, there is plenty to eat from the vendors..Neville the patty guy come very late..around 2 pm..by then I am too hungry..Wtch for the guy carrying a big silver what looks like a tool box..he has the best Jerk Pork in there..

I have only been home 3 days but cannot wait to return to Rooms next year..Yiou cannot beat the price or the location..I wouldnever ponder the thought of doing an all inclusive in Negril with all the good and inexpensive food aorund..So if you are looking for a clean modern hotel at GREAT prices..this is it..btw..there are plasmas and freezing A/C in every room..My only complaint to the managent..they should try to supply shampoo and body wash..as well as trying to get the rooms cleaned at a consistant time..Sometimes they are clean by 9:30 am and other days they were not cleaned by the time we came in from the beach (4pm) therefore, no clean towels for showers.

But hey, if I am going to let that ruin my vacation, then I should not be on vacation in the 1st place!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank mtlrandi
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Just got back from an incredible vacation in Jamaica but I would not recommend this hotel if you want a hot shower. We were without hot water for the last four days of our stay and they tried to fix it but could not get it to work. They offered us to take showers in a different room but it was located too far away and changing rooms was also inconvenient. We had an oceanfront room upstairs without a balcony so stay away from 2901,2902,and 2903. 1901,1902,1903 are great because they have a balcony that you step off right onto the sand. Restaurant is terrible, they take sooooo long and dont bother waking up in time for the included continental breakfast (2 slices of dry toast and a kids size orange juice). There are many better places to eat to the right or to the left on the beach. Roots, 23-7, Alfreds, Kuyaba, to name a few good spots. If we would have only had hot water, everything else is great. Very clean room and modern bathroom. 32" Plasma TV with directv. Staff is "ok".

Travel tips: Walk to Margaritaville on the beach. Its a nice walk. Go on the sunset cruise "Wildthing" to Ricks cafe, drinks (including Red Stripe) and pizza included for $50. If you are into nightclubs, go across the street from Rooms to the left to The Jungle on Thurs, Fri, and Sat night. Have dinner at Rockhouse in the westend (lobster and mahi mahi are awesome) for a specatcular sunset view. Ricks cafe is a must!!! If you want to go YS Falls or Mayfield Falls, avoid the big tour companies. Hire local taxi/private tour operator Rudy. He has a comfy modern van and will show you an awesome time as opposed to having only one hour at YS Falls with the big tour companies. Rudy's phone number is [--], he is always on time. He also does transfers from airport to hotel for $50-$60 for 2 people plus tip each way. I recommend this especially for your departure becasue if you prebook this they will pick you up tooo early and you will spend an unneccasry 3-4 hours at the airport. Plan to get picked up to go back to the airport 2 and a half hours before your return flight. It's an hour and a half drive from negril to the Airport.

A few hotels also right on the beach that look a lot better than Rooms are the following. Charella Inn, Aqua, Country Country, The Palms Resort. These hotels also have twice as large of a beach front than Rooms.

One last thing, DO NOT be afraid to walk the beach at night. It is very safe and the locals are very friendly!!! Hope this helps!!!

3  Thank Beachdude_79
Reviewed 9 January 2010

This is a wonderful small hotel with lots of character and very reasonable. You can sun either by the pool, a sandy courtyard covered with palm trees and surrounded by a small wall, or directly on the beach. Recommend the ocean front rooms. Beach is terrific with soft white sand beach and no coral to step on. The continental breakfast is adequate (only had Fruit Loops most days for cereal), 2 slices of toast, sm. OJ and coffee or tea. If you don't want vendors stopping you, stay in the inner courtyard area. People were friendly and room was very clean.

Reviewed 6 January 2010

Rooms Negril is a nice place, in a good spot, on a great beach. This hotel is clean with newly updated rooms, and is reasonably priced ($150 per night during Christmas break). If you are not interested in staying in (or paying for) one of the major all-inclusives, this is a great alternative. The facility was full and we never had an issue getting beach chairs, however if you need shade you will want to get one of the umbrellas early in the a.m. as they go quick. The front office is accommodating though not exceptional. Maid service was ok, bring a bar of soap and your own shampoo as it is not a guarantee! Security is onsite at the front and rear of the property and safety is not an issue. Satellite tv from the US is in all rooms with 32inch LCD televisions. Wifi is $15 per day, however the office has 2 computers available to check email, etc - at no cost. Continental breakfast is provided but is a bit of a laugh when compared to American standards. The “restaurant” is operated by a separate company and was not a desirable option. The free continental breakfast included: juice (which I believe to be SunnyD), a basket of dry toast (1 jelly, 1 butter), corn flakes, and coffee. A full breakfast menu is available (for purchase). The service and overall appeal of the on-site restaurant / bar are subpar at best. The pool is clean and nice though seldom used, the grounds are well maintained, the gym appeared adequate yet small, but the beach is the reason you visit this place. Beach vendors are plentiful and at times annoying, however a firm yet polite “no thank you” will work every time (keep in mind – “no thank you” may need to be repeated a couple times). Be sure not to be taken advantage of, if you are too nice, or do not have the ability to say No Thank you – they will get all your $$$!

Tips / Suggestions:
A trip to the local grocery (HI-LO) may be a good solution to get your basic needs covered ($10 roundtrip taxi fee).
(pop, water, chips, snacks, beer, etc) This will save you $$ as opposed to buying off the beach.
Always negotiate cab fare prior to getting in the car and be prepared to walk away.
A cab to nearby destinations should never cost more than $5 each way ($430J) The Cliffs may be up to $10 each way. Ricks Cafe is a place to experience at least once in your life. "Best sunset"
Go to the Rock House for dinner! The cliffs on the West End make for an amazing backdrop for dinner! One of the BEST views on the planet! Great vibe, great food. Call ahead and they will pick you up for FREE and $8 to get back.
Go to the Push Cart for dinner! Nice bar! Also great view / food, and they will also pick you up for FREE.
Other nice restaurants to visit: Xtabi, Kuyaba and LTU. If you are looking for more of a rustic, local cuisine – ask the front desk.
Find a beachside bar and keep your feet in the sand. Try 23/7 just a few steps down the beach… NOTE: Keep an eye on your change, if you don’t ask for it – you might not get it!
Learn your conversions – currently $87j to $1 US dollar. Use 80 – 1 for simple math. ($800j = $10US) If you choose to avoid converting currency, US dollars work everywhere.
Don't get wasted and forget your name, Don't start trouble with the locals and Don’t get in a hurry - Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple