“DO NOT STAY HERE WE WERE ROBBED!!!! A Tourist TRAP” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropical Breeze Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Tropical Breeze Villa
Ranked #20 of 47 Speciality Lodging in Negril
Boca Raton, Florida
“DO NOT STAY HERE WE WERE ROBBED!!!! A Tourist TRAP”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is Marlo W. we booked 4/4/14-4/14/14.Our first night we were ROBBED!! Someone came in the house while we were asleep, and we have a police report. NO BURGLAR bars on any windows and the Negril police has said they had many complaints to the owner Karen Hill, but she lives in Canada no never responds. She did not return any of my frantic calls while the police came for the investigation. Also, she did not try to call about refunding our MONEY. We weren't there 24 hours and this happened. They stole our cell phones, keys, jewelry and money. I feel it was an inside job due to many people coming into the property etc. This is A tourist trap ! It is my duty to make sure NO ONE ever have to go thru this. Our entire family was shaken my grandma 83, my husband mom had to endure such a frightening experience. Finally, the prepaid money was stolen since they housekeeper Sofie didn't have money to buy our food. The refrig was EMPTY so we know we were SITTING DUCKS! if you have a bad experience speak up. Next talking to the Jamaican Tourist Board, going to get them off the list.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank MarWalk
karenhill007, Owner at Tropical Breeze Villa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Please note that I was out of town when this originally occurred, away from my phone and by the time I was reconnected the guests had already chosen to move else where. I originally had responded to this review immediately after this incident however new information has come to light which totally shocked me and forces me to change my original response. My immediate response was to state that i was confident in the fact that my staff (Sophie) had had nothing to do with this situation. Upon thorough investigation into this it seems that there were only two people whom were aware of the fact that a dresser drawers had been moved the day of these guests arrival. The dresser had previously been situated in front of the window which was involved in the illegal entry onto the villa property. My trusted employee of four years, Sophie, and her son in law inexplicably moved the dresser from in front of the window to a different location within the room. This was not done on my direction. It has come to light that her son in law had recently lost his job as a security guard at a small business place in Negril as that location was also broken into whilst he was on duty. Clearly both Sophie and her son in law are no longer employees of Tropical Breeze Villa and I sincerely regret any stress and hardship endured by these guests.
When the guests checked in, the newly installed security windows had not been checked to ensure they were locked and the guests proceeded to go out for the evening, leaving behind their elderly grandmother. Please note that in the 28 years i have owned this property I have had two incidents of this nature in all that time.Again while I sincerely regret the situation that these guest were put into, I would also like to have travellers be aware that it is their own best interest to be proactive in their own safety. By this I mean to say that anywhere you go in the world it is not advisable to check into any establishment and not ensure that the doors and windows are locked and fastened, before heading out for the evening. Although it has since been established that my staff was involved in this most regrettable incident,none the less I have recently had security railings installed on any windows that would have previously had an accessible point of entry. All locks have been changed and new staff has been hired.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Livermore, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Based on the description, pictures and great reviews, we had high expectations for the Tropical Breeze Villa. Upon arriving, we had to remind ourselves that we rented a budget vacation home. Tropical Breeze is comparable to other budget accommodations we’ve stayed at - clean, but dated. Updated windows, light fixtures, interior doors & kitchen appliances along with some touch-up painting would make it more appealing (the already updated floor and bathroom tile and paint in some bedrooms look great).

Being located near downtown Negril has its pros (walking distance to markets, shops and the beach) and cons (rundown surroundings, smell of burning trash, dogs barking and music until early morning). The house layout worked well for an extended family. We ate and hung out at the tables on the covered front porch, as it was more accommodating for all 10 of us and cooler than sitting inside. We didn’t use the pool much (preferred the beach), but it was in great condition and is a nice addition to the house.

The beds were in great condition and comfortable. Air conditioning kept the bedrooms pleasant at night, helped mask outside noises and dry out damp swim suits and towels. The Wi-Fi worked well, but don’t expect blazing speeds – especially with multiple SmartPhones and iPads hitting it at the same time. The coffee pot wasn’t working, so we used the coffee press instead (no problem!). We occasionally overwhelmed the electric hot water heater, so some cold showers were endured. Brighter lighting in the bathrooms would make shaving easier.

As praised in previous reviews, the best things about Tropical Breeze are the hospitality of the housekeeper/concierge (Sophie) and the home cooking by our chefs (Terry and Wayne). Sophie’s advice was invaluable and we enjoyed visiting with her and Terry throughout our stay. The aromas emanating from the kitchen had us salivating long before the food was ready to eat. Although originally planned as a way to save some bucks, we were treated to several delicious Jamaican meals that were as good, if not better than we could have gotten at any restaurant. We all brought a little of Jamaica back home with us in the form of new friends and a few more pounds along the waistline!

A destination wedding brought us to Jamaica. The rehearsal/welcoming dinner was held at the Tropical Breeze for 25 people. The cost was half of what it would have been at a restaurant on the beach, and the food was better. The pool deck worked great for mingling and dining. Terry and Wayne started cooking traditional Jamaican cuisine in the morning and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the dinner and relaxing ambiance.

All-in-all we left Tropical Breeze with great appreciation for what it has to offer. We recommend it for a real Negril experience, hospitality and culinary adventure, which make it better than average budget lodging. We enjoyed our stay there and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
karenhill007, Owner at Tropical Breeze Villa, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
I arrived at Tropical Breeze the very next day after this group of people had checked out. I was not made aware of the fact that the coffee maker had broken and so i immediately replaced it as well as the kettle. The two bedrooms have been repainted in a nice bright blue colour for an "updated" look. Several of the windows have now been replaced on this trip for both soundproofing and a modernized look. As well, bathrooms were painted and new lighting installed. Its unfortunate that i did not arrive prior to this group as I touched on all areas that they mentioned needing updating. There were 10 people in this group all getting ready at once for a destination wedding, so I am not the least bit surprised that the hot water heater could not manage to keep up to the demand. We really went out of our way for this group of guests with an arrival dinner prepared for them with red and white wine waiting for them followed by an amazing Jamaican breakfast the next day. This group enjoyed many delicious meals at Tropical Breeze and the rehearsal dinner was provided to them at a very reasonable cost. Several people were picked up and returned to the airport at many different arrival times and destinations as they were not all staying at Tropical Breeze.

Thanks for your feed back and hopefully I have resolved the issues that were of concern to you,

Karen (owner)
New Westminster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have been fortunate enough to be a regular guest at tropical breeze since the time it opened. The moment our driver drives up the lane I feel at home and at peace. Every time I visit I am in awe by the views, the trees, the beautiful Jamaican breeze, music, and of course the great swimming pool. The staff are so kind and helpful. The food prepared by the chef was better than any restaurant food. If you want a place to go to where you can relax on the deck, party in town, walk to the beach and have access to shopping and the best food you have found your spot. My dream is to arrange a family reunion at tropical breeze. I love people of Jamaica and always stay at Tropical Breeze Villa.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

First off let me start by saying that if your looking for a 5 star resort accommodation you're looking at the wrong place. Tropical Breeze is a very nice guest home with all the amenities needed to make for an enjoyable experience for a family or a group of friends.

For the sake of this review I will cover the very minor cons that we encountered during our stay:

When we arrived in Jamaica we had some minor problems with immigration because we didn't readily have the address of the home on hand and the officer seemed to be having an attitude problem and sent us to an area for someone to Google the guest house and get the address before she would allow us entry. Note: She also had a problem with the fact that we didn't have paper airline tickets in hand so she could see the departure date... like seriously who has paper plane tickets these days? I had to search my email in my phone and show her the ticket vouchers which were bought about 4 months prior to the trip. Anyway if your gonna stay at Tropical Breeze make sure you have the proper address on hand for immigration to avoid this hassle. Also the driver was just a few minutes late picking us up which also wasn't a big deal because our flight was in a few minutes early.
The Wi-Fi: Because our phones didn't register on the 4g network in Jamaica we had to rely on the Wi-Fi at the house for internet. Problem is it didn't work very well for about 3 of our 7 days there. After some inquiry I kinda figured that it had to do with weather and maybe a substandard isp. But it wasn't a big deal, we didn't go there to sit in the house on the internet all day.
That's about all I could come up with as far as negatives. Now onto the good stuff.
The home is in an excellent location in a small neighborhood. It's extremely close to everything a visitor would need ie food, shopping and banking. There is a little 24 hour restaurant literally a stones throw away from the front gate, where you can try out pretty much any local food for around $3. Literally everything is within a 5-10 minute walk of the house, even bars and nightclubs, which we did frequent. To give you an idea of the type of neighborhood it is, one evening leaving from the little restaurant, a guy struck up a conversation with me and ended up asking me for some change, which I didn't have, but he was getting a little persistent and someone from the neighborhood I had never seen before politely asked him to "leave the man alone" lol. Pretty cool neighbors to have! The pool is also a very nice touch. I think I went in the pool every day of the trip. But the best part of the experience at the home was the caretaker Sophie. She was so cool, knowledgeable and helpful! We had many long conversations with her about the local culture and just everyday life in Jamaica which was awesome. She did her best to help us out with ANY issues we may have had or information we needed. By the time it was time for us to leave it was like we were leaving a family member and I felt a little sad. All in all its a lovely place with a full kitchen, air conditioning in all the rooms and nice clean bathrooms. We are already planning our next trip back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jahmal_s
karenhill007, Owner at Tropical Breeze Villa, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to place a review, I do appreciate it!! I will most definitely make sure that future guests are aware of the exact address, although I have not encountered a situation like that with guests at Immigration in the past ( it seems like she was having a bad day..)
The internet was apparently sporadic during this guests stay however that is definitely not typical and the time frame of their stay was during a very stormy rainy period.
I really appreciate the feed back about Sophie, she is definitely a hit with the guests..
As all reviewers say we are in a fantastic location and i appreciate all comments I look forward to hearing from you guys for your future stay at Tropical Breeze,
thanks again,

Karen (owner)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

WOW...where do l begin.....
Firstly negril is the place to be in Jamaica, Montego bay is full of all inclusives resorts and lacks and culture, with the hip strip being very trashy full of the stereotypical touristy shops and bars if you looking for the real jamaica head straight to negril. I attended tropical breeze with 4 friends for a week and wish we stayed much longer...there is so much to offer in and around negril for any demographic and holiday goers topped off by an amazing residence and chef and host.
Tropical breeze has everything to offer any group...the place is huge and can sleep many people, great security, the pool is amazing and well looked after and the house was always clean and well serviced (great value for money) Sofia the house host is so nice, helpful and generous..she is very accommodating and will help you with anything you need or interested in...she is very easy going local and always on hand, she lives on site of the villa which is very convenient. But what made our experience absolutely amazing was the chef Wayne (a real old school Rastafarian) YES THATS RIGHT!!!! Firstly his skills in the kitchen were second to none...i have eaten at some very high class restaurants throughout the world and his real local food was hands down some of the best eating EVER. He cooked with all natural, fresh, locally grown food (not from the supermarkets) and made us some of the dishes made famous in Jamaica...words do not describe how amazing the food was (it still makes me salivate right now) He is also very accommodating with his cooking even though he is a vegetarian but my advice would be to let him do his thing and you wont be disappointed.
It doesn't stop here though...we became a family and very good friends when we stayed a tropical breeze and hung out with both wayne and sofia very regularly, wayne is such a great guy he would take us to all the hidden local spots for swimming and experiencing the real Negril and jamaica. He also gave us a great insight into the runnings of Jamaica and what it is like to live there, made us feel right at home. I have traveled to over 40 countries all over the world and lm always looking for a true local experience...i hate doing the stock standard touristy things all the time and want to get to know each country from the locals which is very difficult but this is one place l got to do this at and absolutely loved it...we had been travelling around the caribbean for a month and Negril, Jamaica is the only place l would go back too purely on the experience front. Tropical breeze isnt to be passed up if heading to negril, skip the hotels and lock yourself into a week here you will be blown away :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank scottmennell
karenhill007, Owner at Tropical Breeze Villa, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
I cant thank you enough for taking the time to place such an amazing review!! Our logo actually includes the phrase " A True Jamaican Experience" so I was thrilled to read that you had felt that away about the place as well. One never knows if a guest is an experienced traveller or someone just getting their feet wet, however it sounds like you certainly have plenty of travel experience under your belt. The comparison to world class cooking was much appreciated, as well as the comment that our place was definitely worth a repeat visit. Thanks again, and i hope to hear from you soon for that return visit!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

A group of five of us stayed at Breeze's Villa for Christmas through New Years. It has been over a decade since we were last in Negril and I must say the small town has grown! The Villa owner called a few times while we were there to make sure everything was irie. She truly cared that we were having a great time. Breeze's staff, Sophie, Shrimpy and Alex were AMAZING. We arrived as guests and left as friends! The pool was immaculate and cared for everyday; a definate highlight having a private pool. The grounds were maintained daily with an incredible selection of Flora and Fauna and the ancient reefs around the pool were very cool as well. As another reviewer mentioned ear plugs would be a good option but we were there during a major festive season and lets be honest the Jamaicans know how to party. Looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad that your group enjoyed their stay with us over the holidays. I definitely always touch base with the guests after their arrival to make sure all is well with them and to offer any additional assistance or advice that I can. Whether seasoned travellers or new to the whole thing, i love to provide any insight I have for guests looking for any help with anything at all. The staff at Tropical Breeze is fantastic and the chef is getting world class reviews! Christmas is definitely a celebration in Jamaica with music playing loudly everywhere from churches to grocery stores to outdoor concert venues. It is truly a huge part of the culture here.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

A group of us stayed at the guest house and had the best time ever.The place was very spacious,clean and comfortable with a very home like feeling. The grounds were very well kept with beautiful fruit trees which we loved because we were able to enjoy alot of time hanging out by the pool which was "amazing". The location was perfect, we were able to walk to to the beach, shops and markets which are all relatively close. However, the best part of the vacation for us was the wonderful service from the staff. Nolan is a wicked chef and Sophie is a sweetheart they made us feel at home and they aren't bad company either...lol!!!. The owner Karen was also very nice and got in contact with us upon our arrival and also before we left to wish us a safe flight back home. It was truly a JAMAICAN experience and we are planning to go back. I would definitley recommend Tropical Breeze Guest House if you are planning a group vacation....you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your review! I truly appreciate when guests offer their feed back on their experiences at Tropical Breeze. The in house chef is amazing and our housekeeper is just such a sweetheart! Thanks for the compliment on the prime location of Tropical Breeze, I actually love it because we are within minutes of the beach and shopping, yet feels like its away from the seasonal crowds when the season is in full swing and the beach is packed. thanks again for your kindness and hopefully we will see you back at Tropical breeze sooner than later!