“Best place we have ever stayed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Saint Cloud, Florida
“Best place we have ever stayed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Absolutely brillant place to stay. Staff were friendly and could not do enough for you. Pools beautiful and also directly on private sandy beach. Food wonderful and lots of choices, even for the fussy eater. Cant wait to go back and drink cocktails on that glorious sandy beach. DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE!

6 Thank NancyinFlorida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Just got back from our honeymoon Jul 7-14.2011.
Amazing beach, amazing service, great food.
We stayed in the Gardn Varenda suites. Road traffic did not botherbus much. This resort gives you the true feel of Jamaica. With the nature scenery and friendly vibe.
Favorite Restaurants:
feathers
patios
seagrapes

We were not big fans of lemongrass.

Activities:
Snorkeling was awesome, and so was parasailing.

Would definttly stay here again.
Oh yeah!! Amazzzzzzing beach!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Nav187
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Background
We had previously stayed at CTI in Ocho Rios back in 1984 when it was Couples Ocho Rios and then in 2009 for our 25th anniversary after the renovations. While we loved CTI, my expectations for CSA were especially quite high-after reading everything and anything on their message board, Trip Advisor and also since it is the most expensive of their resorts.

Last year we had stayed at the RIU Palace with our son so we fell in love with Negril and the beaches-the RIU not so much-it was OK but not up to the caliber of Couples Resorts. Everyone at the RIU goes about their business, the staff were not overly friendly, and the guests overall kept to themselves.

This trip we were celebrating my 50th birthday and cousin’s wife’s 50th. Age wise we were probably in the top 20%. Majority of guests were honeymooners-20's and 30's and so very happy and then there were also couples in their 60s to 70s.

Departure
Departed on July 3rd from Newark, NJ was a nightmare-seems like Continental is still experiencing problems with their United merger to the detriment of its customers.

Arrival
Arrival on a Sunday at noon in MBJ was a piece of cake (go figure) zipped right through, waited about 20 minutes for shuttle to resort, enjoyed the ride, and were checked in by 2:30 to our BFVS. As expected cold towels and champagne were handed out to all of us arriving. Check-in was painless taking hardly any time at all and our Romance Rewards package was given to us at check-in as well. I had requested a third floor corner room but we were put in a room right next to our relatives (newbies) on the second floor. The gentleman at check-in did say if the room was not to our liking to come back and he’d change it for us.

We made our reservations for Feathers and Lemon Grass as well as the catamaran cruise prior to Colin showing us to our rooms as he was scattering up some umbrellas for us.

Tried doing orientation on our first day but due to rainy weather it was cancelled. We ended up exploring on our own and loved the whole tropical, jungle feel to this resort. Even as our week was ending we kept finding new paths and things that we hadn’t seen previously and that was after doing the orientation the day after we arrived.

Rooms
The room was just fine-exactly as shown their website, etc. Location was great-view slightly obstructed by the palm trees but that’s what I wanted to see-that gorgeous ocean view from our verandah with a palm tree framing it! I loved leaving the doors to the verandah open at night to sleep to the sounds of the ocean. I spent so much time on the verandah. My only complaint was no plug in the bathroom except for a funky shaver plug so I plugged my Oral B toothbrush out in the room (not that big of a deal). Housekeeping was outstanding especially after you’re constantly tracking sand in and the nightly turn down service along with their towel art together with the mini bar replenishing was all done to perfection. Our relatives had a problem with their toilet flushing the first night-by the time we returned from dinner it was fixed!

Restaurants/Food
We ate at every restaurant and loved all the food-since my family aren’t big seafood eaters and I love it, I ate seafood at every meal I could and it was all so good!

Our days began with a pre-breakfast as in the continental breakfast delivered to your room. Always on time and exactly what we ordered. We’d then go on to our real breakfast either in the Palms or Patois. From the made to order omelettes, to the breakfast pizza to the banana stuffed french toast it was all delicious.

Lunches were normally at Sea Grapes since it was so convenient and had so many different interesting choices that changed during the week we were there. The snapper sandwich, sweet potato chips with humus and kebabs were as good as others have previously written.

Dinners were an event unto themselves. From appetizers, to soup, to salad, to the entrees and desserts, the presentation was always commendable and the food delicious. My husband who is normally a very picky eater tried and ate everything offered! The only food item I wasn’t especially fond of was a jerk burger at the Cabana grill. Feathers was fine dining at its best and eating with chopsticks at Lemon Grass was quite comical. Definitely gained some weight but it was all so worth it. Now that we’re home I’d love for someone to pull out my chair and put a napkin down on my lap! Guess that’s not going to happen in my reality.

What is amazing is the level to which their staff treat the guests. They remember you, what you drink and as they may rotate from restaurant to restaurant they can recall what night you were where and what drink you were having. We had an ongoing joke about the never ending wine glass. Our cousin who drank wine at dinner every night would have his glass refilled before it ever got down half way. Service was impeccable.

As we had previously stayed at CTI we were invited to the Repeaters Dinner. Mr. Bowleg the GM was very courteous and genuinely seemed to enjoy hearing our praises and any concerns we may have had. We met many nice couples at this dinner that we continued to run into during the week we were there.

Entertainment
On the night of the steel drummers we had already eaten at Lemon Grass and were going to The Palms to see the show. Christopher removed the table setting from a table right up front for us and that’s where we sat to watch the show. Very talented musicians and probably our favorite entertainment offered at The Palms. Beach party on Friday had to be moved indoors since it had been raining earlier. That show would have been so much better outside but it was still very good. The Martini Bar was quite good and Chocolate Martinis are decadent!

Enjoyed Ultimate Chocolate at the Aura Lounge on a few evenings. He is a very talented gentleman that captivates his audience with his personality. Lost my voice (don’t think my husband minded that) participating in the various sing alongs. The only negative issue I mentioned on my comment card at departure was the smell at the Aura Lounge. It must have something to do with the air conditioning being so cranked up (it’s the coldest room in the entire resort) and the humidity factored in together with the carpeted floor. On our last night there we couldn’t stay for very long as the odor was truly horrendous. Perhaps had we imbibed more we wouldn’t have noticed it!

Participated in a ping pong tournament over at the sports complex and that’s where we had the pleasure of meeting Akeem. I think he drew the short straw on being nominated scorekeeper but we found him to be one of the kindest and entertaining of the entertainment crew.

Did a yoga class on the beach, went out on a Hobie (had a hard time getting back to shore but eventually did -I think we had the water sports gentleman in stitches), had a blast on the Catamaran Cruise, got to see dolphins and swam through the caves. We also had an informative tour on the glass bottom boat ride and our cousin did some water skiing.

Stayed at the beach bonfire for a short time as I think we were exhausted that night. In walking the path back to our room with one of the staff chatting, we realized we had walked right past our room and ended up at Patois. The young man felt terrible but we didn’t-he was very interesting and a delight to chat with.

Beach
The Negril beach is the most glorious beach ever and for the most part that’s what makes us come back. The floaties in the water, green flag service and cool towels are delightful. The local musicians we heard were actually quite good and entertaining. Our normal spot in the shade was right next to the beach wedding site so we got to watch numerous weddings. Yes the palapas are hoarded, many the night before. We did score one once but preferred the shadiness of the trees instead. When I mentioned to a water sports gentleman that our relative had sunburn and we needed shade he advised me to let them know and they’d help to accommodate, never had to, shady areas were plentiful.

We left the resort to walk to the right past Beaches and to the left to check out Cocoa La Palm and Idle Awhile while souvenir shopping. On our walk past Beaches the water level has risen so there’s a small stretch with no beach. You just walk along a path - that’s where we had the pleasure of meeting Shane, 12 years old in the eighth grade. He was a friendly, energetic young man selling his wares who proceeded to hold my hand to guide me back onto the beach (we did give him a few bucks for his company). He asked when you return to Negril bring me some clothes, shoes and games!

The other couples you meet, whether on the bus going to the resort or at any of the bars, restaurants, or excursions seem to have a camaraderie that is how Couples entices us to return-as well as the level of friendliness of their staff and their expectations that anything you desire is granted. All the guests we encountered were extremely friendly and you become known by the state in which you live if names escaped you!

A couple we met has been to CSA every year for the past eight years and have no desire to try another-they feel when you find what you like why deviate from it. I have been getting harassed by co-workers to try another island-and all I can say is “once you go you know”.

This resort is extremely quiet at night; you may hear some far off music playing from other bars on the beach but nothing disruptive.

We ventured off the resort on a private tour with Kingsley Take Care Tours. Kingsley was already booked but had his son Damian be our guide. He was a very personable young man-we went out to the Pelican Bar and Black River Safari with a local fisherman. That’s definitely the way to do it. What made it more interesting was that Damian had actually never done these tours himself so it was a first for him! Had lobster and conch for lunch at a local restaurant on the river (Cloggy’s) that was quite good. I will do a separate review of Kingsley and Pelican Bar.

Since we participated in the Romance Rewards program Couples offers we received t-shirts on arrival, a $100.00 resort credit (I treated myself to a warm bamboo massage-their spa with Buddha pool as well as my masseuse were extraordinary) and a departure pack of granola and waters in a Couples insulated lunch bag.

Departure
We had to be on the bus at 10:00 a.m. for our 2:30 p.m. flight. At check-out you’re handed your portfolio to look over and return to the desk to settle any charges. I had noticed right away that our resort credit had not been included and brought it to their attention. Again “no problem”; we were given the credit and informed when our bags arrived that they needed the credit voucher that was included in our check-in materials. Arrived at MBJ by 11:30 a.m. to mass confusion. Probably took a little over an hour or so to get through it all. Still had plenty of time to shop and eat before boarding our flight. Club Mobay lounge would be a good option for those running late as you’re whisked through all lines and perhaps if you’re very early as it would be a more comfortable area to squander your time.

Well that about covers everything-this review has become quite lengthy but I wanted to give my impression to all have written prior to our visit with their impressions and opinions.

Enjoyed how spread out the resort was with that whole jungle thing going on with the restaurants and entertainment anchored at either side. We all need to walk a little to work off all those meals you’ve eaten and drinks you’ve had.

So now which one to return to. As much as I loved CTI with it south beach art deco motif and of course their outstanding staff I would have to say that CSA is where we’ll return. (As long as price increases are not too exorbitant!)

Room Tip: Beachfront Verandah Suite
11 Thank LoriB27
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Before choosing Couples Swept Away we did ALOT of research about where to honeymoon in Jamaica. We could not have chosen a more perfect place! It lived up to all of our expectations and more.
Starting at the airport the Couples Lounge was a perfect beginning to our trip! We had a few beers while making new friends and only waited about 15 minutes before the bus came to transport us to paradise! The bus ride seemed pretty low key compared to what we read on previously written reviews about it being long and crazy. It was really neat to see the country side of Jamaica. We stopped at a little hotel half way through the bus ride which was awesome! We had the opportunity to buy authentic jerk chicken which we kick ourselves for not buying some, but it smelled amazing!
Upon arriving at Couples Swept Away we were treated with a cold towel and champagne while we checked in; which was an incredibly easy process. We were escorted with our baggage to our beautiful room and were completely swept away! We paid a little extra for a beachfront room which we were completely satisfied with. Some people complained about the rooms right on the beach being too loud and not very private but we loved it! We kind of liked being next to the hustle and bustle; waking up and going to sleep to reggae music and the sounds of the ocean.
We really loved The Palms buffet for most of our meals. The jerk chicken at the Beach Grill was awesome. We loved getting the bartenders daily drink special at any of the bars. It was fun to be surprised by our drinks and we tried many different ones that way. Our favorite drinks at The Palms restaurant were the Pina Colada and a Renegade! If you want to spend an afternoon of drinking go see Darmon or Kurt at the beach hut bars and they will take good care of you!

Our favorite things to do:
Glass Bottom Boat ride with Desmond
Snorking with Desmond (go as many times as you can handle!)
Catamaran Cruise
Walking down the beach outside of the resort
Using the green flag service on the beach
Zip line tour with Zip Line Adventure Tours
Live entertainment every night at The Palms
Banana stuffed french toast at Patois restaurant
Trying a Bob Marley shot (lethal but worth it!)
Sitting at either one of the Beach hut bars and chatting with the bartenders

Overall we LOVED our 9 day honeymoon and wouldn't have imagined a better time in a more perfect place. We hope to go back soon, explore Negril a but more and stay a bit longer!

Room Tip: Beachfront suite room on the second story was amazing!!!!! Room 2229! Perfect view of the beach!
5 Thank bugandrenegade
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I have to admit, upon our arrival I was a little disappointed. The resort was very rustic and not as luxurious as I expected. It was pouring rain and late evening so things didn't look so great. We were kind of thinking, what have we gotten into.
HOWEVER - in the light of a new day, things looked beautiful. The beach was freshly raked by the staff, the lounge chairs were lined up on the beach and ready for use. We had no problem getting one. We went to the Palm's for a breakfast buffet (every day in fact) and it did not disappoint.
The food was very good, the water clean, blue and perfect and the staff accommodating. They handed us cool washcloths on the beach and made drinks non-stop all day long.
The best thing about this resort was the couples atmosphere. There were couples from all over the world here and all were after the same thing, a relaxing vacation to spend time together.
The resort could use a couple of repairs, broken lantern, cracked paint, etc. But has a very nice Carribean feel and decor. This is the place to let your hair down.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Tuckerz
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

Stayed for 7 nights in the building that has the Internet lobby/Piano Bar/Aura nightclub on the top floor-- amazing rooms, perfect location to EVERYTHING.

The resort staff made the trip memorable, everybody sings! :)

Room Tip: Stay in the
2 Thank QCVisitor
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I'm not sure where to begin at. This was my third trip to Jamaica, back to Negril after the last trip to Ocho Rios. I had previously stayed at the Riu resorts in Negril and Ocho Rios.
While we were waiting for our room after a painless check in, i was checking out the pictures and captions under them in the upper level. I could not believe that the were people on the board that had been to the resort 10,20,40+ times. after being spoiled for a week at the resort, I can now see why. I'm already planning our next trip back.
The room was incredible, the lower right unit of a 4-plex facing the beach. It felt like a beach cabana due to the screened in walls made of wooden shutters. You could be closed up tight to open wide with the tradewinds blowing through your room with the opening and closing of all the shutters. I spent alot of time on the back porch, either on the lounger or in the hammock.
Our housekeeper was the best we have ever had. I mentioned to her that we liked to hang out at our room during the afternoon storm and have a pot of tea or coffee and to please keep our supplies full. She hooked us up with some of the best teas,coffee and honey I have ever had, all on a nicely organized tray and kept it full for the whole week. She kept our unit looking great all week long, with fresh ashtrays, beautiful flowers everyday and awsome towel animals with our fresh towels. She was even there for me when I locked myself out of my room. She was cleaning the unit behind ours and let me back in my unit right quick. (This matters alot ,since my wife and I were locked out of our room at the next hotel we stayed at a couple of times. We waited for hours to get back in our room due to bad door locks/keycards and lousy service.) I can't remember her hame right now, but I'll edit this review when I do, because she was just that awesome!
Onto the food and drinks. The drinks and the bars were incredible. Fresh fruits and top shelf liqour made me a happy man all week, not to mention the Redstripe on tap. I even developed a liking of the the canned beer stocked in the room fridges. I wish I could find Carib beer in Colorado. I honestly never got a bad tasting drink all week. Hummingbirds, purple rains, mudslides, all delicious. The bartenders at the pool bar were epic. They poured a mixed shot in a stack of bar glasses that was a sight to behold. The stack was about 4 foot tall and everyone in the pool bar got one, or two or even 3 if they asked nice.
i would have drank alot more of the Bob Marley shots had I known our next hotel wouldn't make them for us. They are an awesome,fruity, 3 level layered shot that packs quite a punch. Love that overproof jamaican rum!
I have to give a special shout out to my man, Derman, at the martini bar above the main dining room. He made the best and biggest martini's that I have ever had. The german chocolate one was great and the local fruit/juice one had to be tasted to be believed. When he says that "This is serious buisiness.", he is not playing around. Being younger and living at 6000', it takes quite a drink to get me good and buzzed and Derman delivered. This will be one of my first stops when I return.
The food was also beyond belief. The fruits and veggies were all fresh and top rate. The meats and cheeses were equally good. I'm not much for seafood, but my wife enjoyed eeverything they had to offer. Stand out items for me were the steak and the appetizers at the gourmet restaraunt. I love me some steak and this piece of meat was all it could be and then some, as were the appetizers. It would cost me $3-400 to take my wife out for that meal where we live, if we could find food of that caliber.. I also have to mention the pasta bar at the evening buffet. Rose took care of me with a freshly sautee'd plate of goodness every night. I also need to mention the jerk shack/ cafe by the pool bar. I go to Jamaica to stuff myself with jerk chicken and the shack did not disappoint. Great food, some of the best chicken I have ever had and I go out of my way for good jerk chicken. By the time I left, Hunter, at the jerk shack had my order down as soon a s I walked up. She remembered me and knew I would want white meat, 2 corn's, no fries and extra festival. I wish it was that easy back home to get such yummy food.
You have to take advantage of all of the programs that the hotel offers all included. The watersports, tours and activities were all offered at the next resort we stayed at for a signifigant extra cost. Seriously, the snorkeling would have cost me $58 per person and the sunset catamaran cruise was $105 each from our second resort and was complimentary at Couples.
I had my thoughts that Couples was a little over priced, but that was before we went and saw what all we got. The inluded drinks and activities and the no tipping policy are well worth the extra initial investment. I had a better time , with better service and food at Couples than I did at the Riu's or Gran Bahia Principe, for less money in the end.
Couples swept away set the bar for my Jamaican vacations. I can't see myself staying anywhere else and I currently planning to go back as soon as I can afford it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Man_from_de_hills
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
#16 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,172 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!