“We felt ripped off.”

Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Binghamton, New York
“We felt ripped off.”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We have been to Negril many times and wanted to return, We had carefully looked at all the room options and selected an beach front (all the pictures showed these rooms with a veranda). The pictures showed beautiful and comfortable furniture on the veranda. Imagine our surprise when we arrived and were given a beach front building with a side view to the beach. The room was TINY - it matched the veranda (which barely held two cheap plastic chairs). We went to the front desk and did not receive any satisfaction, Finally, we called our travel agent who sent out a representative. The representative agreed with us. Arrangements were made the next day for us to switch to the room we had paid for. We were then moved to a beach front room a stones throw from the dining area. We were kept up late because of the music from the band(s) and were awakened early by the sound of lawn grooming tools being used LITERALLY under our windows. If we didn't know better we'd say that someone was annoyed with us. Anyway, the food was okay, but not fantastic. The best part of the trip was the jerk chicken and the sunset cruise. The fruit kabobs that were advertised NEVER made it to us - they always ran out close to us but never returned. It's not a bad place, but I caution you to not believe everything that you read or see. My suggestion - print out all materials about this resort before you leave and have them handy.

Room Tip: Be VERY specific.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank PCFL1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,438)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This may be somewhat lengthy, but I want to give a complete picture of this place, as best as I can. This was my wife and I's second trip to Jamaica. On the advice of some friends, we choose Couples Swept Away in Negril. We were not disappointed. I won’t say much about entering the country because Couples has nothing to do with that….however, it was pleasant and we had no issues there. After going through customs, we found the Couples kiosk in the airport….and that’s where the party started. We were welcomed by Jason with Couples who immediately took care of our luggage and made sure it was headed to the right resort as there are several on the island. Had my first Red Stripe there….we can get them here in the states of course, but for some reason, they taste better in Jamaica.
Next we boarded our bus for the hour and a half ride to Negril. The ride was pleasant with no issues. I’ve read where some people complained about the long bumpy ride…well…this is Jamaica and the roads are quite as nice as they are in the states. The ride took us through several small towns so you get to see a little of the regular activities of the people there.
Our arrival was pleasant. We were greeted with cool towels and champagne. The check in took us about 20 minutes. Our room was assigned but it was not ready…no problem there as we were early and arrived before our official check in time. We didn’t wait long though. Soon we were escorted to our room as well as our luggage. From the time we arrived till the time we got to the room was about 45 minutes….not too long…and like I said, we were early.
Our room was a Great House veranda suite. It was very roomy and clean. The bathroom was spotless…that’s kind of a hang-up with me so I was pleased. It was raining, so we didn’t head straight to the beach. Rather we choose to sit on the veranda and enjoy our ocean view and the stocked refrigerator in the room. It was stocked with Pepsis, ginger ale, and Caribe beer. There is a checklist of things that can be added to the refrigerator, and we checked orange juice, pineapple juice, rum and vodka. We expected small airplane bottles of the rum and vodka…but no…they brought us large restaurant sized bottles with the pour spouts. Big surprise. Some people have complained of the noise here….we didn’t notice it at all.
After the rail let up we went down to eat. Let me mention the rain…this is the rainy season….here’s how it works. The day is beautiful with sunshine until around 2 or 3 pm. Then a thundershower hits, lasts for about an hour, and the sun comes back out. It’s nice because it cools things off and gives you chance to rest in the afternoon if you need it.
Now, back to eating which is one of our favorite things to do. There are several restaurants on the property. The Great House has 2, Patois and Feathers. Patois is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, except for Mondays when they have a welcome back dinner for return guests. We really liked Patois because it was convenient and close and the food was excellent. Try the fried crawfish for an appetizer…you’ll love it. Feathers is a restaurant that is only open for dinner, is air conditioned and requires reservations. Also, there is a dress code too. Men must wear long pants, collared shirts and closed toed shoes…sandals for men. Women mostly wore nice dresses and were allowed to wear sandals. Lemmon Grass Restaurant is along the same lines as feathers, except it’s on an open balcony overlooking the ocean. Palms is another nice restaurant, open air, and casual dress. This one also has a stage and is where the nighttime entertainment takes place. I’ve seen reviews where people complained about the restaurants not being air-conditioned….well…it is Jamaica. We liked it and didn’t feel uncomfortable at all….just wear loose comfortable clothing and you will be fine. All the restaurants have full bars and it’s all inclusive and you don’t have to drive home….so drink all you want.
The beach is beautiful. Our day started there at about 9am. There isn’t too much trouble finding a beach chair…they are plentiful. The water is crystal clear. We usually stayed in the vicinity of the Great House. There are two bars there, one at the pool and one free standing just a few yards away. They open at 10am. Shortly after opening, one of the ladies brings out fruit for you to much on and they bring you out green flags and take your drink order. When you need another drink, just put up your green flag. I choose to walk to the bar to get mine, because I needed the exercise. This is an open beach, so you can walk all along the “seven miles” of it. When you leave the resort property, the guard takes your name and room number and writes down the time you left so they can make sure you come back. If you walk on the beach, be prepared to be offered anything from parasailing to cooked lobsters to jet ski rides to marijuana….after all, this is Jamaica and pot is their number one unofficial exports. Sometimes, you will find that one person does it all for you….takes you on a parasail ride, jet ski ride, and has pot for sale. Everyone will offer you something to look at, or eat, or ask you to come into their little shops to look at their wares. Just remember, they are working too…trying to make a dollar. If you are not interested, a simple smile and a “no thank you” will usually take care of it. Also because it’s an open beach, there are the peddlers who walk the beach trying to sell you something. Again, a simple “no thank you” will do if you are not interested. The resort security does an excellent job of keeping them moving. One thing I found real neat are the bands who walk up and down the beach playing songs for the people. If they stop, be nice and give them a tip. I have read some reviews that portray the Jamaicans as lazy people….they are not lazy. They work hard for their money…sometimes 2 and 3 jobs….and their places of employment does not have to give them overtime….so they may work well over the 8 hours, and just get paid for 8.
As for activities, there is plenty to do if you want to do it. We didn’t, because we just like relaxing on the beach. However there are things like beach volley ball and other games to play. There are also water sports things like sailing the hobie cat sail boats, snorkeling, diving trips…and this is all included in the price you pay. There is also a catamaran cruise that goes out at certain times that takes you down the coast line to Ricks Café. You don’t stop there, but you can see some of the divers from the cliffs. The cruise does stop near some caves for swimming if you want to do that .
That about covers what we did. I do want to mention some people that waited on us…like Cean at Feathers, Shanna-Kay and Judy at the bar, and Rayan and Nichole at Patois. There are so many more that were so helpful that I just can remember all their names. And there are many behind the scenes people that never get mentioned like housekeeping who comes in and does a fantastic job of cleaning and turndown service at night. We never met anyone who didn’t greet us with a smile. When you go, and they smile at you and say “good morning” or “afternoon”, smile back and return the greeting…respect goes a long way with these people. Some of the reviews said they were not friendly…I found that NOT to be true….to be honest, the only obnoxious people we met, were other Americans….and there weren’t many of them either.
I’m trying to be fair and think of something that was negative….I really can’t think of anything. The whole experience was great. Couples Swept Away will definitely be a return visit for us.

My advice to anyone visiting is don't be in a hurry....relax....and the only money you will need to bring is for tips at the airport, bus ride to and from the airport and souvenirs. Go, enjoy the experience!!

8 Thank Keith R
illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2011

What a Great Awsome Trip! CSA was so much fun, friendly staff, beautiful resort , we never got sick of the food it was always great. The Beach was remarkable!! The Swim up Bar, The Beach Bar, The Bar in Patios, Martini Bar all fun fun places to be. WE loved our third floor OceanView room, it was very clean, well stocked, roomy and had the best views ever. Very close to everywhere we wanted to be. We ate mostly at Patios and The Palms always always good food and such variety.
Everyone vacationing were also very friendly and down to earth fun people.
I can't say enough about Couples Swept Away, it's just a great place to be and I can't wait to go back.

1 Thank aljanillinois
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Many have commented on the fine beach, food and entertainment, very nice surrounding gardens, tress and the like, so I would repeat other than to confirm it is a beautiful property. I would also emphasize the fitness facility across the sreet from the main resort is especially nice for those who want to stay fit during their vacation.

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and we still wanted to keep going (at least somewhat) on our exercise routines. We found the facility to be a wonderful place to be, peaceful and relaxing. Each morning we spent time over there and came back to the beach and water feeling we had "earned" our time in the sun!

We also worked with the tennis pros each morning. A special call out to Norris who was patient, informative and professional. He is a tremendous asset to Couples. I say this because I was truly impressed with his gentle, personable demeanor and the way he made my vacation that much more enjoyable. My wife worked with Ashford who was also an excellent pro. The courts were just fantastic - especially with how they are situated around the landscaping - nothing like that in the quiet of the mornings.

As for the food, very good! We really enjoyed Sea Grapes for lunch. Every lunch there was great except for the one day when Cheryne was not there....the place did not run nearly as well, in fact we sat there for quite some time without being acknowledged and decided to head into the Palms. No big deal, the next day we were sure to mention to her how much she was missed!

I will also mention Teresa (one of the Team Leaders/The Palms) who was extremely personable and to me, really embodied the beautiful spirit of Jamaica - why so many love it so much, her smile was infectious and I appreciated just hearing her greeting each day along with good conversation....she is a gem!

My only negatives would be to watch out for the rooms by the road. The check-in folks were kind enough to move us away from the road as our first room was quite noisy. I understand though, for some this may not be important. We were not too impressed with the International Buffet, the food just was not on par with the rest of the offerings during the week which were quite good - Sea Grapes (as mentioned), Patois, The Palms, Feathers and Lemon Grass.

I would highly recommend this resort as a great place to go.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the road!
3 Thank Brad-Vanessa
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I went to the CSA Resort with my husband as well as his brother and our sister in law. Our ages range from 23-27 and we all have children...so the vacation was much needed and enjoyed! Unfortunately our stay was not long enough, we stayed from July 8-12. I will try to review as much as I can for you, but if this is a resort you are considering you will NOT be disappointed.

We flew into the Montego Bay airport (This was perhaps our least favorite part of the trip). We had to wait in a customs line for close to an hour and half but I overheard that this was unusual so maybe you'll have a better experince. The airport workers for the most part were quite rude too. However, once you get to the Couples lounge you are in good hands and paradise begins.

Upon entering the Couples lounge, we had someone take our bags for us (Do tip these men after they load your bags on shuttle bus....not Couples workers and they WILL ask upfront for tip) We were only able to spend about 10 minutes in the lounge before we left but we enjoyed some Red Stripe while we waited and talked with other couples.
*It is very likely at some point in the airport or outside you will be asked to buy pot, your chances of being asked are increased if you smoke cigarettes which we all do. We were approached about 3-4 times as we walked to the shuttle. Just tell them no and they'll leave you alone.

The drive to CSA was about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The drive seemed long since our group was tired and has been traveled since 3am so I napped half the way. The driver was friendly and quite funny. He told us as much as he could about the area as we drove by. It was a nice drive to see some of Jamaica off the resort. The country is quite poverty striken and you can tell....you will also notice bars on all windows for security but there is also a high crime rate in Jamaica. Not to worry because the Couples resort has 24 hour security who were quick to brush vendors away if they approached you.

As we arrived at CSA, we were greeted with cool towels to wipe down...very nice. We tipped our driver (Not a Couples Employee) and moved on to check in. We had no wait to check in and were also greeted with glasses of champagne. We immediately felt welcomed and knew we picked the right resort as the staff were so friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and easy and we were escorted to our rooms by a lovely worker who brought our bags.

Room: Beautiful. Clean. Comfortable. I had read on previous reviews that the rooms needed updating and I thought they looked great so it must have been picky customers who mentioned that. I also read bad reviews on room bathroom which I also thought looked great. Bed was huge and comfortable. Rooms had AC and my huband kept it real low the whole time. Stocke in room fridge...you can request specifics in fridge. We were stocked with Whiskey, sodas, and water upon request the next morning. Our room had a TV although we only watched it before a nap if we took one. Bathroom had a dryer and a magnified mirror with a light (very nice for the ladies). the bathroom also has a clothes line which was very hand because it was too humid to dry clothes outside. We had a balcony with one cushioned bench, 2 chairs, and a table. The balcony was my favorite part of the room. A few gecko's on the balcony at night which I thought was cool.

Beach/Ocean: Beach was wonderful...I though it was a little small width wise at first but it is a long stretch. I am used to beaches on the East Coast with plenty of play area for kids, but since it's a couples resort this was not necessary anyway. Ended up being plenty of space...it never seemed crowded. The sand was white and the so soft. The sand on the whole resort was raked every morning so it was very well kept and always clean. Plenty of beach chairs...though it is hard to get a hut on the beach. The water was amazing. I have never seen water so clear...it really was as clear as a swimming pool and so warm. No waves really except from the occasional jet ski, which even then was a ripple. Some people had complained on previous reviews of lots of debris and rocks in the swim area....I saw none and was amazed at how soft and clean the ocean was.

Food: Wonderful. I had no complaints on food besides at the Feathers restaurant which is the nicest restaurant. Even then, the food looked amazing, it was just my personal taste in food. My favorites were the sweet potato chips at the seagrapes cafe. The carrot soup, breakfast smoothies, and banana stuffed frech toast at Patois Patio. The curried conch and curried goat at the palms. The onion rings at the Cabana Grill. I much preferred the food at the Lemongrass rather than feathers. All the food was great thought and there is always plenty to eat (BTW you can order 2 entrees if you wish when eating or 4 appetizers...sadly we did this haha) the Cabanna Grill is open til 5am so I got up a few nights at 2 and had to go for fries or a burger.

Bars: Everything I wanted and more...drinks were always good and bartenders are so friendly. Swim up bar was cool but we most often used the beach hut bars. Some reviews had recommended bring your own cups becuase the resort ones were little...I brought my own and never used them. the cups were sized fine.

Water Sports: We did the Hobbie Cats and Kayaking....both were fantastic. The Hobbie cats require a 10 minute lesson first which are offered twice a day. Def worth it. The resort also offeres water skiiing and wind surfind but we couldn't squeeze these in. our husbands both enjoyed scuba diving there and loved it...a must if you're already certified. My brother in law loved it so much that he got his PADI certification there. We also did night snorkeling which was awsome (Cost $35/person extra but worth it). The water sports staff were our favorite on the resort...they were all so relaxed, funny, helpful, and just good company. Our husbands oved Franz who works at the Scuba hut. Please indulge in the water sports!!! Fantastic!!!

Spa: Me and my sister in law went to the spa and each had a peppermint seaweed wrap and scalp massage...this was well worth the money. We also enjoyed the steam room. while we waited for our appointed we enjoyed delicious banana smoothies from the bar and played ping pong. We also explored the fitness complex and thought it looked great but we never used the complex since we were always at the beach.

Night Club/Casino: The night club was fun especially if you make friends to join you. However, we all thought it somewhat smelled of puke on the evening we went. Some of the staff joined us dancing which was great. We also witnessed a male dance off that resembled the dance off from American Pie 3...hilarious. The casino was fun if you had a little extra time to kill but none of us really used it but for 30 mins one evening.

Catamaran Cruise: You must do this....the best part of our whole trip! You have to make reservations for this and i now wish we had done it twice. You basically enjoy the beautiful scenery on a trip to these awsome caves. On the wa you can drink as much rum punch or red stripe as your liver desires. Once at the caves you can swim in the caves which is really neat (Sounds scarey but its not at all). However, the highlight of this trip is the water slide on the boat. Basically like a pool slide on top of a boat and you make a nice splash into the warm clear ocean! This was so much fun we all did it about 3 times. Go forwards, backwards, on tummy, on back, just sit, flip at the end...whatever you want but you have to be wet first. So jump off the boat and climb back up.

Atmosphere: We met so many wonderful couples on this trip...most couples were from the US (we live in Tennessee), but quite a few from England, Scotland, and Germany. i thought this was awsome because I'm origionally from Scotland so I enjoyed the company. Couple ages ranged from 20-70 so age should be no factor although I would say the CSA was more the 25-45ish range. Everyone was sp friendly and relaxed...of course it was paradise. I mean people would be walking by themselves singing on the way to the beach so it was just wonderful and happy.

This trip was amazing! We had the time of our lives and we will most definately be returning! Hope the LONG review helped!

7 Thank Charlene M
Amarillo
Reviewed 20 July 2011

From the time we arrived in the airport till we were dropped back off we were having fun. The Couples resort really know how to treat their guests. The property was beautiful and the food was awesome. Every employee was so nice and helpful. The beach was beautiful with the fine white sand and kept very clean. I'm already planning our next trip!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Texas0617
chitownshandi, Director of Marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. You highlighted some of the unique differences that we try to excel at - service and culinary. Our staff training is rigorous and specialized to focus on a couples romantic atmosphere without being stuffy or anonymous. Our executive chef, has really opened the door to fine dining, native dishes and unique recipes, which is unheard of at many all inclsuive resorts. Thanks again for the review and compliments, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Andrea Washington
Director of Marketing.
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

After reading some of the reports I felt had to write a review. This was our first visit to Jamaica and loved it, especially the staff and facilities at CSW. The hotel was superb as was the beach. Food was very good, great selection. Cannot understand how people report the staff were unfriendly, that's ridiculous they were the most hospitable people you could met, show them a bit of friendliness and they were fantastic. Everyone from the beach to the restaurants, front desk,, nurse were brilliant. Only complaints were the weather for the first few days, rain, rain rain, plus the cost of the doctor which was ridiculous but as I could claim cost back thru insurance didn't really matter. All the people at the beach bars, restaurants and night club were great fun and we had a brilliant time. If you found the time to talk to them and try a bit of patois they loved it and were great and made the time to speak to you next time you met. The entertainments team were brilliant and my only complaint was the noise of the tree frogs at night which drove me mad but had I known I would have booked a different room, not a breachfront one with shutters. The sports and spa facilities were superb and security was outstanding. The beach gorgeous apart from the sand flies due to the rain and the hawkers very entertaining especially the musicians. Don't hesitate to book CSW it is worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank shirley2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!