“Three Times the Charm - Can't Waith For Number 4!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This was my wife's and I third trip to Couples Swept Away and our fourth to Jamaica. We really prefer the laid back nature of Negril. I especially like that the city does not allow a resort to be taller than the largest palm tree on the property. This rule ensures that the resorts are "homey" and that since they are spread out better than the high-rise resorts they appear to be less crowded. Never did I feel like I was in a crowd and there are plenty of spaces to have private time with your spouse.

I always chuckle when folks compare CSA to a luxury hotel and their amenities. Remember - you are going to paradise NOT the Four Seasons. The grounds are like a tropical garden with winding sidwalks and blooms galore. It is important to remember that the priorities of a Jamaican craftsman are much different than an Americans. T hat being said, yes the crown molding does not always line up or there might be minor paint chips, etc. But really - go for the relaxation and time with your spouse.

I want to give a shout out to Fiona at Feathers. We had the honor of having her at the Palms, Patois, and now Feathers. We were so excited to see her. Her elegance and professionalism is a huge asset to Couples Resorts. Also, Natasha and Curtis at the bars are incredible. They did a great job keeping up with my thirst! Thank You!

The food was always plentiful. Not the best I have ever had - but for sure no where near the worse. The Jerk Chicken at the grill is great and the convenience of the Palms is unbeaten when you are looking for a quick bite.

I agree that one "casual" hut should remain open until at least 8. Closing often started earlier than the close time but we weren't always ready to get dressed for dinner.

We will be back again, and again. A comfortable, relaxed setting where you can do as much or as little as you want. I cannot see how people can be bored. If you are the type looking for the large mega-resort with constant distractions from your spouse - go to Mexico. If you are looking for a chance to reconnect with your spouse and recharge your batteries - this is the resort for you.

Room Tip: For A Cool Room, Choose a Verandah. The Atriums Only Have Screens w/Shutters
19  Thank MADTraveler43278
Write a ReviewReviews (5,500)

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We were at Couples Swept Away August 20-27, 2011. It was amazing. We went here for our honeymoon five years ago and were a bit worried it wouldn't live up to our own hype from the first time. We were wrong- it was a great as we remembered. The staff, the beach, the rooms, the food, the drinks, the views- everything is amazing.

We booked through tripguy.com and Mark got us a great room and rate. We stayed in a Beachfront Verandah Suite which is right on the beach on the first floor. The room was great- good A/C, stocked mini-bar, and the view was perfect. We could see the sun set from our room everyday. Housekeeping came twice a day and they were good. We had one small issue - out outside ceiling fan broke but they fixed it right away.

The bars were all great- staff was attentive and nice. Drinks were good- almost too good at times. The food was also really good. Breakfast at the Palms is good but Patois is better (banana stuffed french toast- yes please!). Lunch everyday provided good options- Patois is more formal but you can still go in our coverup- the grill is really good (fish sandwhich, jerk chicken and onion rings!) and the Palms is good too- always different and good Jamaican options. DInner was always good as well- Feathers is fancy with lots of courses and small portions. Patois is my favorite with lots of neat food. Lemongrass is good but didn't have a menu change so we only ate there once. The Palms had nice entrees and buffet options. Overall the food is great.

My husband scuba dived everyday (except the day Hurricane Irene made the sea rough) and had good experiences. We also had a couples massages and I had two other massages- all were good quailty and realxing. The spa is a bit expensive but the treatments are good. The fitness facility is nice to have but it is outdoors so in the summer it is a bit warm to work out. Husband also played squash one day and enjoyed it.

Overall it was an amazing vacation and we are already planning a return trip. We won't go anywhere else in Jamaica!

Room Tip: You can't reserve specific rooms but the Beachfront Verandah won't let you down in any locat...
1  Thank robinm67
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Went here for our honeymoon and we absolutely loved it. The staff is very nice and will help out in anyway they can. There are so many activities and the food is incredible.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank commuterstevespe
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We visited Couples Swept Away in August 2011 for our honeymoon. I did a LOT of research on where to go, and Swept Away seemed great. I did get nervous due to a string of bad reviews right before our trip, but those must either be competitors trying to hurt the rating or the most picky people on earth!
From the second we left the customs desk, we were treated like royalty. the Couples lounge in the airport is great, and offered us drinks and a cold towel. The bus ride to the resort was an adventure in getting used to being on the wrong side of the road, and the driver was great. The bus trip took a bit over an hour, with a stop to refill the beers about half way there. On arrival at the resort, it is breathtaking. The lobby is beautiful and they greeted us with champagne and cold towels with aloe on them. Check in was smooth and quick, and the porter that took our bags to the room was very nice and helpful. We had an Atrium room and it was so great I can't find the words to describe it. I loved the hammock on the balcony so much I am trying to find one for my house. We ate mostly at Patios, with was wonderful. Every day we seemed to have Naftalee as our server and she was fantastic. The Aura lounge was a great place to be every night, and if you can't have a great time sitting at the piano with Ultimate Chocolate on the keys and Colleen making the drinks, then you just don't know how to have fun! All of the bars were great (have a Tantalizer, I had hundreds of them!) We spent most of our time at the swim up bar with Ricardo making the drinks. Ricardo is awesome and was great to talk to. By our second day he knew exactly what we wanted and I didn't even have to ask, he just kept handing me drinks! All of the included activities really add a lot of value to an already great place. I actually got my wife on a hobie-cat, and the watersports guys taught us how to use it, even though we missed the actual class. Can't thank everyone enough.

PS- if you see the little orange kitty running around, give him some food for me. He and I got to be very good friends. Tell him Jeremy says HI!

I do have a couple "room for improvement" items:
All of the outdoor bars close at 6:30. After this time you have to go to one end of the resort or the other, and you have to have clothes to get to the bars.
Also, in the mini-bars in the rooms it would be nice to have a few more items available to make some good rum drinks. Not much you can do with a little tiny OJ and pineapple juice.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are BEAUTIFUL, and you get a hammock!
10  Thank Kalkaskian
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This is the best sports/athletics facility that I have ever seen. The pool and tennis courts are superb and have the best tennis teachers( and the free lessons are even better). We have great service and terrific dinners at the 3 reservations restaurants. Breakfast at the buffet is great and the grill is open almost 24 hours a day. No room service for lunch or dinner and getting a drink on the beach is kind of go and get it from the 3 tiki hut bars. Excellent watersports as well including snorkeling and boating sports. The entertainment team is great and watch out because they will make you dance the night away at the night spots on location. Loved it and will be back sooner rather than later.

4  Thank dumont17
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My husband and I visited Couples Swept Away in July 2011 and were very pleased with our stay. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, the food was good if not great, and the atmosphere was absolutely wonderful. Very relaxed...perfect for those wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We had everything we needed on-site....food, alcohol, beautiful beach with crystal clear water, free beach activities, amazing fitness center/spa. I have travelled the world and can honestly say this was one of my favorite vacations. Want to go back!!!

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money...garden atrium suites were great b/c you don't have the traffic...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cvf530
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Couples Swept Away is truly an amazing resort. I spent my B.D there last Dec and loved every minute of the vacation, the only regret was having to leave. The hotel has so much to offer. The food was great, nightly entertainment is good. The beach- party night was my favorite!! There was a buffet down on the beach with an amazing night time show of very talented people performing. There are so many different activities offered daily. You can also take a Glass Bottom Boat ride and a Catamaran Cruise over to Rick's Cafe all included in the price, can't beat that! For anyone who likes to keep fit they have a state of the art fitness facility which even has a lap pool and a Health Bar for yummy drinks. The beach is beautiful and clean. There are little shops along the beach so if you want to take a nice walk you can also buy some gifts along the way from the vendors. We had a great holiday and we are booked and going back again for my B.D. in Dec, can hardly wait!!! This place is truly a great vacation spot for anyone who likes to have a great time. :)

Room Tip: The Garden-view verandah suites are close to a busy road so you may want to check the other rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cancunmamma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!