“Brilliant Holiday at Couples Swept Away”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We spent a week here while recently in Jamaica. We had a great garden veranda room, which despite some reviews, we didn't find noisy although we live in central London so are used to noise.

Our stay was brilliant, food was pretty good, especially breakfast although we would have liked the Jamaican dishes to be hotter. The only downside was Lemongrass which I though the food was poor. My green curry looked radioactive and could only have been due to green food colouring. My wooden chopsticks were died green!

The beach was beautiful, the watersports were great and we left feeling totally relaxed and recouperated. We'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,350)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had a wonderful vacation at CSA. We really couldn’t have asked for more! The staff was genuine , friendly and helpful. The meals delicious! The nightly entertainment fabulous. We especially enjoyed the Reggae night, Steel drum band, the Romantic beach bonfire with one-man band & our Private dinner on the beach. The beach itself was stunning, the all-inclusive watersports gave you lots of choices during the day. The cleanliness of the resort was top notch. We also loved the local beach musicians and the floatees on each lounge chair ,our beachfront verandah room and the Martini Bar. I hope I haven't forgotten anything. There were so many good things about this resort, I could go on and on.

I would consider ourselves seasoned travellers. This was our 9th Caribbean vacation and our our first trip to Jamaica. I researched the resort top to bottom before and after we booked and we were not disappointed! We knew not to expect glitz and marble and yes ,we knew about the chair/towel game. That is one reason we booked a beachfront suite, so we could get shade when we needed it. The bathrooms in our room could have used some upgrading but the bed was so comfy and the room was very well appointed.

I would consider this resort to be one of the best or possibly the best resort we have ever stayed at. This is the first all-inclusive I would consider a 5 star. Some have come close but this time I know I have found a winner when a week after our arrival back home I still feel that iwishiwherethere2 . The trip was only a week but the memories will last a lifetime!

1  Thank wishiwerethere2
Reviewed 18 April 2012

What a great resort! This was our first trip to Jamaica and we couldn’t be happier with our choice to stay at Couples Swept Away. We stayed in a Garden Verandah Suite.

Our room was a corner room with a wonderful large window. Our traveling partners’ room was an interior room, without the large window. We both liked our room much better. Both rooms were relatively dark, would have liked more light. The rooms were nicely furnished, clean, and comfortable. We both had a nice verandah not really overlooking a garden, but a nice view. We had our coffee and juice there each morning. If we come back, we would like to upgrade to a Beachfront Verandah Suite if affordable or Ocean Verandah Suite. We really spent very little time in our room, but something closer would have been nice.

Restaurants were very good; some meals better then others. The Palms had an excellent breakfast buffet, and we had two spectacular meals there. One less then spectacular, but it was rather late that evening. We had a wonderful breakfast to order and an outstanding dinner at the Patois Patio. There were also two special dinners, Pirate buffet on the beach--very nice, and an International Buffet in the Palms. We actually liked the meals from the menu better.

We ate one meal at Lemon Grass. Food was good, but we all preferred the Palms and Patois. The Sea Grape Café was wonderful. They have the best sweet potato chips, and hummus, great Fish Tacos, everything we tried was wonderful. The Grill was also excellent, although I would have preferred less sauce on my jerk chicken or on the side. It was too spicy for me. The others in our group really enjoyed it.

All the water activities were wonderful. The young men at the Water Sports Shack were very accommodating, pleasant, and patient. The snorkeling was wonderful, we took 3 different day trips, and one night trip. Ask for Desmond--he and his partner were wonderful guides. We all enjoyed the day trips better because we could see more sea life, but the night snorkeling was a great experience. We were able to use the sail boats, kayaks, paddle boards and water skiing. Sail boarding and paddle boats were also available for no extra charge.

We enjoyed the catamaran cruise; the captain and his crew were very accommodating. We were able to get out and swim in the cave, use the boat slide, and just enjoy the scenery, company, music and drinks. We took a glass bottom boat trip, but we probably would have preferred to use our time differently. If we hadn’t been snorkeling and enjoying ourselves on the ‘water toys’ we would have appreciated it more.

The entertainment was excellent with different musical and dance performances nightly. The entertainment team does a wonderful job keeping people busy, entertained, and involved. Omar, Marisa, and Andrea were vivacious, engaging, polite, creative, and just down right cute. And boy can they all dance. Wow! Definitely recommend taking the orientation tour for first timers.

The overall feeling of the resort was pleasant, inviting, comfortable, and safe. Security guards were always visible, friendly, and watchful. The beach was beautiful and the water was spectacular--warm, clear, calm, and inviting. All wait staff, housekeeping, bartenders, everyone we encountered (but two) were top notch; accommodating, fun, quick witted, and quick to take care of all of our wants and needs. Thanks you.

Our only real compliant was our shuttle from the airport to the resort. Our driver made a stop on the way to the resort at a small bar which we definitely could have done without; made a long drive unnecessarily longer. The bar had limited supplies and no change. Our shuttle from the airport--although sad, was efficient and uneventful.

We loved our trip, it was a wonderful resort, and I would highly recommend it for a peaceful, all inclusive vacation. If one is looking to experience the Jamaican culture, I would agree this is probably not the best way to do it. Although there were plenty of additional excursions and tours we did not take advantage of--maybe next trip.

3  Thank Sportsmomanddad
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Couples Swept Away for 7 nights in early April. We are in our mid 40's and are beach lovers. Here are our impressions regarding several aspects of the resort:

immigration - took 40 minutes in a very hot room. We survived. It was a Saturday so we expected it.

Couples transfer - took 1 hr 40 min to get there and 1 hr and 13 min to get back. I was actually terrified on the way back. Hubby thought it was a fun thrill ride. The drive is along the water is beautiful.

Front desk/check in - very helpful i thought. We actually had a second floor atrium room that the AC didn't work well and had ants so we switched to a really fabulous atrium room upstairs that was steps from the beach. They switched us at 10 pm upon our request. Very good service.

The beach - oh my! We are beach people. I can't tell you how beautiful it was. Never been able to float in the ocean and relax. We loved it. So calm just like a postcard. Really Amazing.

The resort vibe - beachy, relaxed, easy going. I liked it a lot. Everything here is about the beach. Exactly what we were looking for. No glitz and glam, but the surroundings are naturally beautiful. The staff was extremely genuine and there were only about one or two staff members (at the beach bar) that we felt were unfriendly. Lots of follow through by the hotel if issues were brought up such as needing more towels etc.

Towels - They provide towels in your room for the beach and the water sports hut has them as well. No towel cars or anything. Only annoying thing was that they didn't have towels in the water sports hut til after 10 am. If you know that folks come to the beach everyday early why can't those towels be available by 8 am? That is a really easy fix.

The beach chair/palapa situation - I call it a "situation" because there were very few palapas for the taking. We had one several days because i wake up early. After a few days though you start to worry about it less and less and realize you will spend a lot of time out in the water and walking along the beach. I think there is plenty of room to build several more palapas and really would help the situation. There is a lot of shady spots, but the best are taken by 8 or 9 am. Also one night they decided to sweep the beach and remove all belongs which was annoying to many. I say if you are gonna do it you should do it every night. I think that would also help the palapa hoarding. I know umbrellas might clutter the beach, but it is an idea. I

Beach chairs - very comfortable with the floating pad on them. My back never hurt! The ground is mostly even as well so it was a very comfortable place to relax.

Beach service - a big, big disappointment i must say. This was a holiday week in Jamaica and it showed in this area. Only part of the beach got service and it was spotty at that. The green flag meant very little. The beach server spent several hours and I mean hours chatting it up with a little group of young folks smoking pot. This annoyed me. Couples could really improve in this area. They never brought water around etc... not to our end anyway. If we had excellent beach service or any at all I would have rated this place even higher.

Bars - Beach bars hit or miss. The middle aged women working the bars were not friendly, but the guys were. They did serve us very promptly though. They addressed us immediately when we came up to the bar. We actually found prompt service (faster than mexico) everywhere on this resort. The pina coladas were terrible on the beach made from a mixed machine, but at Patios they were excellent. At the beach bars I recommend Snake Eyes and Hummingbird and they do have Crown Royal which was nice in the diet Pepsi.

On the subject of Pepsi, they have NO coke products here. It is true though that the Diet Pepsi tastes more like diet coke than I thought it would. It was fine.

Patios bar was really really great. Drinks made perfectly every time. The Palms bar made a great mohito. Delicious.

The room - Please please carefully consider how sensitive you are to noise before booking your room. Don't book an atrium if you are a person who has a difficult time sleeping. We had perhaps one of the best atrium rooms and it had that relaxed feel. It was clean and all necessary items provided. We could actually view the beach from our room. The rolling carts and people talking is annoying. We will be booking beachfront verandah next year for the glass rather than screens in the windows. We did not stay in a garden verandah room, but we could definitely hear a lot of road noise in those areas.

The guests - A little louder than I had expected. Quite a few young and middle aged folks drinking and enjoying life. That is what they are there for right? No one was obnoxious or anything. Many more Americans than Europeans. We found everyone quite friendly.

The food - this is so subjective. It was really quite good. We did not have a meal that wasn't delicious. I love that so many of the restaurants are all centered around the beach.The view from Seagrapes is just amazing. I loved Seagrapes. I love those sweet potato chips and fish tacos. The beach party food was made fresh and was authentic and delicious. We enjoyed the freshly made banana fritters and fried fish. Patios was excellent especially the quesadillas. Feathers - surprisingly good and we had excellent service. Not stuffy like i thought it would be. Lemongrass - I love love the atmosphere here with the torches out on the upstairs patio. The spring rolls are yummy. Palms for breakfast was great. Very good service every morning except the one day we sat out by the pool. One thing I noticed about the food was whatever was supposed to be hot was HOT and whatever was supposed to be cold was COLD. I really appreciate that.

Service - overall very good. We had a few requests that were not met with our mini bar and they called back to make sure it was corrected. Actually, I think that really sets a good hotel chain off from a great chain is follow up. The beach service is the only downer and could be fixed so easily.

Water sports - didn't do them but they looked great. Sand gravity took over and we did nothing by relax on the beach.

weather - I am a weather freak. I start looking at the weather weeks before we go anywhere. It was beautiful every morning and then we might have some clouds coming in and out later in the day. One day rained for 2 hours and the then one day for half the day. It was a relief because the sun is very strong. The night time temps were very comfortable.

Sand fleas.- I got about 7 or so bites. Only after it rained so be aware. I started putting on off after I did my sunscreen on my lower legs and feet. If it hadn't rained I don't know that it would be an issue.

Sunsets - perhaps the most amazing I've ever seen. Please bring your cameras because there were so many photo ops.

Will we go back? Yes we are going back next year. We can give up beach service for the overall vibe. We will worry less next year about a beach spot. Also, I love a place where we can wear casual clothes to most every restaurant (except feathers). I would not wear sandals men to feathers. It actually says no sandals. My hubby agreed to bring and wear deck shoes and I'm glad he did.

I did not get sick while I was there as I have in Mexico. That is huge for me. We could eat and drink with no worries. Not everyone has this issue, but if you do it is a real relief not to have to worry.

Entertainment - we did not go to any bars at night or do any entertainment. We went to bed every night by 11 pm. The sun really drains you. We go to rest and escape our hectic lives!

Vendors and security - there is very good security here and the vendors were very pleasant to us. We never felt they were aggressive in any way. We have had far more aggressive vendors in St. Lucia and Antigua. We walked along seven mile beach and browsed through shops and talked to the locals. They were very gracious and they have the best souvenirs down the beach. Don't be afraid to go down there it is very safe.

Overall,l we are very pleased and can recommend Couples Swept Away and i am a bit picky! Please also view our review of Sandy Haven (we stayed there our first night) and Rockhouse Restaurant, both which were wonderful.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms have screens and can be very noisy. If you are a light sleeper get a room with glass i...
8  Thank momof3crazykids
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days in February of 2012. I have been bugging him ever since to go back! I can't say enough great things about this hotel! We loved the property, the gorgeous white-sand beach, all of the amenities, the FOOD & DRINKS (top shelf everything!), night time entertainment, and the sports complex across the street with the lap pool, spa, and smoothie bar. I have been to many places in the Caribbean and this was by far my favorite place. I can't wait to go back to paradise!

Room Tip: We loved our garden suite because it was cozy & somewhat private. The rooms closer to the beach...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cutemomoftwocutekids
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Went to Jamaica last spring and stayed at both properties, 7nights at swept away and 3 nights at the Caves. Won't repeat all the good stuff already said about both properties, they are both great but different. This was our first time to Jamaica and if you have the time and cash staying at both places is a nice way to enjoy the different atmosphere at both properties, Now for the differences. We're in our mid fifties and very active so even on Vacation our day starts at dawn at the gym. Great gym at Couples, no gym at the Caves although I believe they can arrange a visit at an offsite one we didn't really check into that. Yes, to get a nice spot on the beach there is some competition at Couples, although never a problem when you're up early anyway, never a situation where there was no where but you might have to drag a chair from here or there, the Caves is small and intimate so never a problem to find a quiet place to chill (or bake in the sun if that's your thing). Location, Couples on a beach where you can walk for ever, wade into clear water with a sandy bottom. Yes there are the hustlers of all sorts but not so intrusive that it is an issue for me. The Caves up on the cliffs, access the water by ladder or cliff jump, no wading, the snorkeling is OK,not great, but I did not find the snorkeling that great in Jamaica compared to other places I've been. The food, excellent at the Caves and the Cave dinner is an other worldy experience, but nothing to complain about at Couples, great variey and quality. The rooms, beachfront at Couples was really nice but the view from our 2nd story at the caves was pretty unbelievable. Activities, can be arranged at the Caves, you can jump from the cliffs and snorkel both guided and unguided, did not really look into the what was available offsite. Couples has a lot to do for every taste. For us it was basically hit the gym, hit the beach, usually a long walk on the beach every day. If the wind was up take a hobie out sailing, if the wind was down take a snorkel trip, the Caves was more a sit around read, enjoy the water kind of a place. Nightlife is just sit and chat at the Caves, Couples has some shows which we didn't really go to, a sing along piano bar with an amazing guy at the piano, weekly beach party. Would I go back to Couples, absolutely, I love the Beach, need a gym, like to sail, and love to go for long walks. Would I go back to the Caves, probably not, it has nothing to do with the quality of the property, it is exceptional, and I am glad I experienced it, if you are into Island chic, escape, and quiet, with great views and fine dining this may be your place. If you want a bit more action and a fabulous beach Couples hits the mark.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank freeski2000
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I spent 9 wonderful days at CSA March 31-April 8. This is our third trip to CSA. We have stayed at RIu Tropical Bay, Sunset at the Palms, Breezes Grand, Hedo 3, The Rockhouse and Ixtabi. As far as All inclusives go CSA is our favorite. When I read other peoples reviews I am not sure if they stayed at the same resort as I did!
Room: We love the Atrium suite. The wooden shutters, the patio and the hammock give it the perfect tropical feel. We have never had a problem with our room or housekeeping. Love the turn down serviice and the clean towels every night. We do not want or miss a tv in our room. This was the first time we had a mini bar in the room and that was a nice service. It was well stocked every day.
Food: We find the food very good at CSA. Especially when we compare to the food at othe AI's in Negril or at other countries we have been to. The first night was lobster night. I asked the waiter if we could each get 2 lobsters because lobster goes out of season on April 1. The lobster was wonderful! I was happy to see the CSA followed the law about not serving lobster from April 1- Oct. 1 because many other places do not. The Palms buffet breakfast and lunch has lots of variety. My husband especially enjoyed the fresh fish grilled every day at lunch. Lemongrass food is ok. The atmosphere is beautiful. Love the martini bar up there. Patios patio has great breakfast and dinner. We really enjoyed our 2 dinners at Feathers. Great service and food. We had the steak on one visit and shrimp and scallops on the other. Both meals were excellent. We went to the repeat gueast dinner on monday night food was great and we met some very nice people.
Bars and drinks: We spen most of our time at the sunset bar. Horatio was a great bartender and so friendly. We also enjoy Derman at the beach bar. He is very fun and mixes some great drinks.
Entertainment: We enjoyed the music on Reggae night and Retro night at The Palms. The Steel band was our favorite. The bonfire is fun and romantic. We also enjoy Ultimate Chocolate at the Piono bar. He is very talented and a very nice guy. He does one night where you play name that tuen and it is really fun! He went on vacation during the time we were there and his replacement was just not the same.
Workout facilities: The work out area is excellent. There is so much to do! There is no other place that we have ever stayed that has a work out facility like this.
Spa: I enjoyed an 85 minute hot stone massage. The hot tub in the spa area is to wonderful and relaxing.
People: The people that work at CSA are the best. They are hard workers, happy and helpful. We have met many good friends there. As for tipping. No one has ever accepted a tip from us. We have always had wonderful service. People treat you they way you treat them. If you are nice they will be nice.
All in all we had a wonderful, relaxing 9 dyas. We could not have asked for a better vacation!

5  Thank kapond