“Split Trip at CSA & CTI”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Split Trip at CSA & CTI”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We just returned home from 5 nights at CSA & 7 nights at CTI. This was our 13th trip to CTI but our first for CSA. We had a wonderful time at both resorts. The resort & beach at CSA was beautiful & CTI, what can I say, my heart, my love, my home! Doing the same thing next year.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dianarv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Once you get through jamacian immigration(long winded affair-be prepared),your holiday begins. We shown to the couples resort lounge, where you can freshen up and have a drink or two.Then we were transferred by mini bus to the resort. it takes about 11/2 hours, but passes quite quickly, because of the driver pointing out things of interest. When you arrive at the resort, you are welcomed with cold towels and a glass of champagne(or was it sparkling wine). Check-in was very smooth and imformative.
We had booked an Ocean Verandah Suite, which was large, with plenty of space and good storage. The bathroom, although very clean, we felt it needed updating
The room came with a fridge, which you could stock to your own needs(you filled in an order sheet, the night before- it was there the following morning).The maid service was excellant, she kept the place spotless, and anything we were short of , she got straight away.
We had a problem with the air-con unit in the room , half way through our stay.We reported it, went for the lunch, came back, it was fixed(no jamacian time here then!), we also got a phone -call from reception, to see if everything was alright.
The staff at the the hotel were excellent, very friendly,everyone spoke,it made the holiday very enjoyable. The grounds staff do an excellent job, keeping the place very tidy, they were a credit to the hotel
The Restaurants are very good in general, with a good choice of food and drinks(we liked FEATHERS -it had air-con, with a more european type food, we ate mostly at PALMS and PATOIS, on an evening and SEAGRAPES at lunch time. we didn`t try LEMONGRASS-so can`t comment.) The eggs at breakfast were fantastic. The only let down for us,was the swim-up pool bar area and the cabana grill, at a lunch time. There seemed to be too much drinking going on, and felt we were in a different hotel, a bit of a let down.
We had the evening meal on the beach(if you are celebrating something special, as we were,we would recommend it) The food and service is really good.
The Watersports facilities are very good, with a good choice,but we had to queue(the day before you wanted to go or use)- but been english, we are used to it- it does take long. Would recommend you go down early, if you want a certain day.
The catamaran cruise(sorry-sunset booze trip) is a nice way of seeing the coastline. They take you down to see Rick`s cafe and the cliff divers(if there is any), and then came back to have a swim(if you want to), you can go in some caves. The boat stops for about 1/2 hour and returns, just as the sun goes down, you might get a good sunset like we did. The glass bottom boat trip is also good.
Evening entertainment is very good, something for everyone. The piano bar is good and worth a visit.
(There are " what`s on" boards around the hotel, telling you what you can go to)
The SPA and SPORTS CENTRE, have very good facilities, The staff are really good. My wife had a hot-stone massage at the spa, which she enjoyed very much, she rated it very highly. Good place if you want a quite drink and watch the big screen tv- sports shown only!
RECOMMENDATIONS , IF YOU GO
A. Take insect repellant, for a night time- women get bitten more than men- don`t know why!
B Go on the orientation walk- either 10.00am or 5.00pm daily- the place is quite big,so you might miss out on things, if you don`t
C If you don`t want any hassle, off the beach vendors. don`t put your sunbed near the waters edge- Security at the hotel, are very good, they keep them in check.- One or two of the singers are quite good, after a few cocktails.
D Tipping: Follow hotel guidelines,we were told the staff are in a profit sharing scheme, so no need to do so. Tip SPA staff, if you want to, but there is no pressure, to do so.
E. TIP for airport: Beware of the scales, at check-in, at airport. Couple in front of us,knew they cases were under weight, but check-in staff insisted, they were over(wanted to charge for excess baggage). They asked to use other scales, after an aguement- They were well under!!. We found out later, they weren`t the only people it happen too.

To all the couples , who got married while we were there(25/07 to02/07) -there were quite a few of you -CONGRATULATIONS!

6 Thank iandjonhols
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 7 July 2012

After having a great first experience at Couples Swept Away, we decided to return a year later with some friends and family. Check in went smoothly, and we were shown to our rooms, Garden Verandah Suites, which were nice. These were the only rooms available when we booked. We all had ground level rooms and it was nice to be able to walk in and out of the Verandah area. Also we made a little cat friend that joined us each day for breakfast outside on the Verandah.

The shower area in these rooms is not really separate from the rest of the bathroom and just has a shower curtain, so every time we showered the entire bathroom got soaked. I am a big fan of good water pressure, and unfortunately the water pressure was awful. Took about 15 minutes just to rinse conditioner from my hair.... Also the bathroom is open at the top, with a slatted wood door just in case you are looking for privacy, you don't get much.

Beach was wonderful, and we really did not have any problem finding beach chairs, and even got up early to get the shaded umbrellas a couple days. Beach bar was fantastic again, and the Blue Mountain Iced Coffee was definitely one of our favorite drinks. We did a few of the activities - basket making, hat making, and beaded jewelry making, which were all fun.
We tried a few of the beach activities - Hobie Cat, Snorkeling, and Water Skiing - all fun, but they will only let you take the Hobie Cats out if you know how to use them - if not you have to take a class on the days they offer them. They were also only taking out those that knew how to water ski, not sure if they offered a class for that or not.

We did scuba diving again which was great, and always is. The scuba staff was very nice once again. I also went to the casino one night and won $150 pretty quickly on the roulette machine (7 & 31 just kept coming up over and over!)

All the restaurants were great. We made a group reservation one night for Lemongrass which the concierge told us since one of our couples hadn't arrived yet, he couldn't put them on the reservation because he didn't know their room number. He assured us the reservation was for 6 people though, and he would put a note of it in their system. Well, come reservation time, we were pretty much told "oh well" by the rude host at Lemongrass since there was no note in the system. He didn't even attempt to accommodate us. So we let our friends go, and headed over to the repeaters dinner, which we really enjoyed. The two best meals we had this trip were Feathers and the Repeaters dinner. All dinners took a while, so make sure you plan a good 2-3 hours for dinner. We weren't in a hurry at all, but it was definitely noticeable how long meals were.

We took a shuttle to Ricks Cafe one day, which was arranged through Couples. I think it was $15 a person and the shuttle driver waited for us at Ricks and took us back when we were ready to go. Rick's was neat to see, but we only stayed for about an hour. It gets super super crowded around Sunset, so if you want to avoid the crowd, go early... and take some $1's b/c they expect some tips if you are going to watch the guys jump from the cliffs.

Also just for an FYI, while we were there my husband got a really bad ear infection. Basically the nurse station can provide minimal services, and to actually have medical attention they call a doctor out to the resort, which is to the tune of about $200. Luckily, he healed up so we got to skip that.

A few disappointments this time were:

The rude host at Lemongrass (which was the ONLY rude employee we encountered the entire trip, so not too bad overall I guess)

When our friends arrived (they took a shuttle from another hotel in Montego Bay instead of the airport shuttle) they were not greeted at all. No champagne, no welcome, just pointed over to the table to check in by a staff member walking by. They coordinated this shuttle with Couples, so they should have known when they were showing up! We really talked this place up to them so we were disappointed that their initial welcome wasn't that great.

First day we decided to take a nap so we put up the do not disturb sign. Well we were woke up by the phone ringing. It was the front desk telling us that since we had up our do not disturb sign they would not be able to refill our mini bar. I told them that was ok and we were taking a nap. Well of course 20 minutes later, a knock on the door (even though the sign was still up) telling us that the front desk told them we were going to take down the sign so that they could refill the mini bar...

Another day our air conditioner stopped working so we put in a call to the front desk. They came and fixed it very quickly which was great, and this was about 9:00 at night. Well at 11:00, while we were in bed with the do not disturb sign up, we get another phone call from the front desk, asking how our AC was working...

Many times our rooms were not made up until very very late in the day, it was usually around the time we were getting ready to go to dinner, so maybe housekeeping was understaffed that week, or maybe they just do the higher priced rooms first!

The beach party was cancelled because of the rain, which was no ones fault, but disappointing still!

The beach here is great, and made the trip worthwhile, but planning for next year I think we are all going to try someplace new, maybe another Caribbean destination! Our first trip here was amazing, maybe we just had our expectations too high this time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sampsonite21
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This was my wife and I first time going to Jamaica and we had a fabulous time. The service, food and resort was excellent but we couldn’t of done this without are awesome travel agent Nanda van Zwam. She is the best travel concierge we have ever experience and already planning another trip with her for next year. Her email is nanda@beachbumvacation.com . Thanks again Nanda.

Andre & Danielle

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This hotel was amazing!!!!! WOOOO =]
The service was brilliant they was always there to help when i needed them and they were so friendly.
The hotel was absolutely beautiful, had great views, was totally mesmorised.

Room Tip: Depends as i stayed as a couple in a honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BOSSSTATUS2497
Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I am personally writing this e-mail with so much gratitude to the memories I have from this island and this resort. My husband and I visited this resort on the 23rd of June and we were truly "Swept Away", there's no other words to sum up the experience we had except for the name of this resort. What a perfect discription for an experience one will never forget.

My husband and I have visited so many resorts in the past, that I asked my self, "Why did I wait so long to visit Jamaica?" Thanks to my travel agent and the great reviews I received from my manager at Sorrelli Jewelry, where I work in PA, I would have never made this my summer destination. You will be in wonderment an extremely proud of the operation of this fine tuned resort, it was operated as if everyone that stayed there was very important. Every little detail, I must say, was given great thought for a couple to be Swept Away. I do not want to go on and on about how happy we were because I would be just going on and on for hours and maybe even days about every little moment we breathed and lived at the time of our arrival until the time that we have left, so I will skip that. I do want to mention how nice it was to be taken to a special lounge upon arrival until our transportation was loaded and ready for us to venture the resort Swept Away. I also want to say how nice it was to be offered the VIP treatment going back home at the Club Kingston Mobay Club, which made the departure as perfect as the trip was...stressless! There was not a detail left out, be proud of it Jamaica, because you have perfected it!

Location was outstanding. We stayed in 4116 and the room was spacious and always kept clean and the bed we slept in was better than I have at home. Mini fridge was a dream come true when wanting a private cocktail together, how wonderful! I have gotten many goose bumps from this resort and I have them now just thinking back in writing you this review.

I have never been a critic of food in the past Island getaways we had together because I am easy to please. I do want you to know I was teary eyed when I ate the Cesar Salad from the Patois Restaurant. I still have not found a restaurant here in Pennsylvania that can master the skill. Needless to say, I was in awe. That was our first night, so I want you to know the days that followed were dynamite. All the restraurants were great and should be commended on the detailed operation to take care of you, with flavors that were out of this world delicious! Our favorite lunch time meal, that was on a daily base, was at Sea Grape's where we had vegetarian meals. Great sushi!!! This resor tailors the needs of so many pallets. Bravo, because we loved it and are coming back for more. The Lemon Grass, with the Thai Cuisine was our favorite, Sandria ordered our meals because we forgot to bring our reading glasses. Superb meal! The down side of that meal is I got hammered with so many mosquito bites I had to rush the meal. No biggie, we came back again. I figured they tasted the love that was emitting out of my pores, and I took it as a compliment since I haven't been bitten in 20 years, must be something in the air:)

About the staff, what can I say?...all professionals, and I mean all the staff, including your ground keepers and all the people you never see that makes Swept Away a masterpiece. It would not be fair to name the staff members that made our time pleasant because there were so many I did not know names, that did the same. I enjoyed my turn down service with a parable that I was always eager to find out the meaning of in the morning, because it was in Creole, this was enlightning to me because I am a Christian and believe in God.

Three summaries I have for Jamaica and the beautiful resort Swept Away is.
#1 Nothing can compare to the genuine smiles we received from everyone.
#2 The love between me and my husband that I will leave unspoken because this is private
#3 The private boat tour from Water Sports will keep us coming back for more.

11 Thank bobandpaulette
St. Louis
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I travelled to Jamaica 6/17-6/24 for our honeymoon. The first 3 nights were booked in Montego Bay and the remaining 4 were booked at Couples Swept Away in Negril. I knew Negril was rustic, and that Couples Swept Away would not likely be as nice as Iberostar Grand in Montego Bay, but wow...I feel so mislead by their website. The pictures on the website must be from whenever the resort first opened...I am guessing 20 or so years and tens of thousands of hotel guests earlier.

We arrived @ Couples on June 20th and I thought we were being dropped off at the wrong hotel. It looked nothing like the website photos. Well, maybe it sort of did. Just much older and in need of maintenance and updating. My husband had to point out the name on the welcome floor mat for it to sink in that this really was our resort. I know a lot of travellers go here because it has not changed, but for those of us who have never been there before, a caveat emptor would have been appreciated. The lobby is dark and old, and the staff was less than organized. Someone grabbed our bags and moved them. Someone else told us to go to the lobby desk to check in. Then someone realized we hadn't received a welcome drink and we were served warm, flat sparkling wine. Not the best first impression. Everyone in the lobby looked hot and bothered. Not a smile to be found. (I mean the guests and the staff.). When we were checking in, we were told we had to go across the lobby to make our dinner reservations, so we went to the "concierge" and did so. I told him I would like to dine at Feathers that night, and his response was, "I'll book you for Lemon Grass. You'll be too bored at Feathers.". I have no idea of what he meant by that, but I rolled with it. I set up the remaining reservations for the other nights and we were bustled off to our room.

The bellman was very sweet and lugged our bags quite a distance through a maze of pathways surrounded by ill-manicured grounds. The lush landscape was out of control in some areas, and just plain dead in others. There were several stray cats roaming the property and we saw room service trays left sitting atop trash cans along the pathway. Again, not a good first impression. I am a fussy person when it comes to cleanliness and having nice accomodations, so my perspective is definitely swayed, but for the same price we were paying for all inclusive at Iberostar, I expected something in the universe. This was worlds away.

When I arrived in the room, my heart sank again. We compared the room to an older Motel 6. Maybe even worse than that. It looked like something you would rent by the hour, not something you pay $440/night for. The room was dark and very outdated. The shower was a tub/shower combo with a plastic liner. Bed was hard as a rock. All of the furniture was original to the room. I asked about room service and he said it was continental breakfast only. No other room service. Seriously?? At an "All Inclusive"? The mini fridge had some soda and beer and a bottle of some cheap liquor. When the bellman left, we immediately started to plan a way to leave. In the meantime, I tried to make the best of it since I knew we may not be able to cancel the remainder of our stay or find another hotel to go to. We went lunch at an outdoor burger joint on the beach. The waitress must have seen the look of despair on my face because she walked over and said, "You'll be alright. Don't you worry...you'll figure it out.". The food was not horrible, but we were sitting at plastic tables on a dirty deck floor. Just not a 5 star situation. My husband and I both agreed that had we paid $150/night, we could have been okay with the situation since the beaches in Negril are uncomparable. However, at the rate we were paying we felt really stupid.

Suck it up. Went to the beach bar to talk and have a drink since there was nothing drink worthy in the room. Not a top shelf brand to be found. The drinks were terrible versions of frozen island drinks. We quickly realized we needed to go straight to the hard stuff if we wanted a drink that we recognized. Vodka tonic is hard to mess up. The crowd on the beach looked like mostly 20 somethings...a smattering of older couples, but not many.

So between lunch (limited times and places on where you can go....have an itinerary if you want to eat) and the beach bar (closes at 6pm, I believe, so go back to your dingy room and have a coke) we had decided to call our travel company and try to cancel the reservation and book another hotel. Our travel company said they already released payment to Couples, so they called on our behalf to try to get the cancellation/refund. No dice. Couples said we didn't have to stay, but they were keeping our money for the remaining nights. So, we went to the front desk and explained our situation. The staff member was very nice, but said we would have to talk to the manager @ 9am the next morning. We went to the dinner at Lemon Grass and it was really a lovely dinner. Food was okay, but the ambiance was nice and the steel drum band show afterwards was really cool. This was the only enjoyable moment of my 20 hours spend at Couples Swept Away. After dinner, we headed back to the room and slept.

At 8:45am we headed up to the front desk and tried to speak with the manager, but she stayed behind her office doors and only communicated with us through the front desk staff member who had to call her and tell us what she said. Long story short, they refused to refund the remaining nights, so we called Iberostar Grand in Montego Bay who gladly found us an ocean view suite and welcomed us back with open arms. We basically double paid for the remaining 3 nights of our honeymoon, but it was worth it to get away from Swept Away.

Warning to those who have really stayed in nice resorts and are expecting this to be what the website looks like: it isn't. The place is a dive, in my opinion. If you like upscale, clean, updated amenities with top notch service, food, and beverages then you will not like this resort. If you are very young, not very travelled, really like camping, or just have a flair for the nostalgic...then perhaps you will see this property through a different lens. I wish I could have liked this resort, as I do love the beach in Negril, but it was not to be.

11 Thank ScoutSt_Louis
, vice president of Operations at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
We are very disappointed that our resort did not match or exceed your expectation and left after a night of your vacation.

I am sorry you felt our resort look dated and built many years ago. Actually the room you were allocated was built just seven years ago and the interior design is intended to be one of a rustic look. Our resort gardens are highly acclaimed and are in keeping with the original look of Negril.

Some guests have been seen to feed the hotel cats on their patio so this lures them to the rooms and this is something we are currently addressing.

We ask guests not to tip our staff. (all staff members do get a percentage of your room charge which is calculated as a gratuity). Team Members normally declare what is given to them and this would be deposited into the resort gratuity pool.

We have little control of the vendors on the beach as all beaches in Jamaica are open to the public. Some of our guests actually enjoy interacting with them most of which are colorful characters and add a certain Jamaican flavor to their vacation.

It is policy to log the names of our valued guests whenever they leave the property. The beaches in Negril are safe to walk after hours; however after 6:00 pm the patrol beach personnel are off duty, hence the reason for the security to say this.

Thank you again for your valued critique. Most of which will help us improve our service standards. I am delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay on the island.

All guests that request refunds must be submitted to your tour operator not the resort (i.e. the company that you book with) They may impose penalties for early check out.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#8 of 80 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
CocoLaPalm Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
#11 of 80 in Negril

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!