“First stay at CSA, but definitely not our last!!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was our first time staying at CSA but not our first time in Negril. We stayed 7/11-7/20 and really enjoyed our stay. We had a Beachfront Verandah Suite on the third floor in a corner room in the building closest to Patois. Walking up 3 flights of stairs was tiresome at times --- especially if we were coming from the other end of the resort near The Palms ---but we really needed the exercise after all the eating and drinking we indulged in. All in all it was a good location---the beach and the beach bar just a few steps away. When we arrived our room was ready, but I asked if they had a corner room available--- they did, but they had to get it ready --- so we walked around and stopped for lunch and after a couple of hours our room was ready. I liked the style of the room with a large verandah --- however the bathroom was very basic and could use some updating. Ladies ---bring your own blow-dryer --- ours did not work that well and bring your own shampoos and lotions --- I didn’t like what they had and they were actually locked down.

Loved the food---especially at Patois which became my favorite---loved the al a carte breakfast and the menu changed midweek. We had coffee, juice and pastries delivered every morning to our room at 6:30 which was nice to have out on the balcony. The coffee was so much better than what was in the room. The buffets were okay for breakfast, lunch and a few dinners--- but I preferred the al a carte restaurants. On Saturday night they have lobster---but each restaurant had a different version--- I was expecting lobster tails--- went to Patois where they had Lobster Thermador, which I never had, and it turned out to be delicious!! Had I known how much I would like it and if I had known how small it was---I would have ordered 2. The crab dip there was also wonderful --- I did order 2 of those. Also loved the martini bar at the Palms!! Tried a lot of different martinis and the dirty martini has become my new favorite!!
My husband played golf every morning --- but he likes to get out early and come back as soon as possible--- but there was only 1 shuttle that left at 8:05 and did not come back until after 1:00. The first day he found a caddy--Marlon, who turned out to be the golf pro, and he made arrangements for him to come every morning at 6:00 to pick him up and returned him after he was through playing and he paid him $20 a day for this--- in addition to tipping him for him being his caddy. My husband said he also played along with him and he learned a lot from him --- so if you are going to play golf at Negril Hills ask for Marlon. My husband said the golf carts and the golf clubs they rent are old ---but he always brings his own clubs. Also bring extra balls – he lost quite a few and they are expensive there to buy.

The only excursion we did this time was the One Love Bus Bar Crawl which I arranged prior to going as they do not offer this through the resort. Other guests there said they wished they had known about it. We had a blast and saw places in the West End we would not have otherwise. Next time we are going to try the Seastar Inn --- on Saturday nights they have a buffet and live Reggae music for $18 and they pick you up and return you for free---looked like a really nice place.

We did take advantage of the free catamaran ride---almost didn’t get to go out because a storm came up---but we managed to go out about 4:30. It was okay—lasted about 2 hours, but not as much fun as we’ve had on other catamaran cruises.

The beach --- what can you say but it’s one of the best beaches I’ve been to—I could float for hours. We had no problem getting loungers or floaties and no problem finding some shade --- though I did notice people out on the beach at 6:00 in the morning getting the Palapas. Beach service was great---we didn’t even really need the green flags--- they also brought around fresh fruit kabobs and ice cold face towels. The first few days I did get bit up really bad by sand fleas --- in all the times I’ve been to Jamaica I have never been bitten before --- and I did use OFF!. My husband wasn’t bitten once. The sunsets were spectacular!!

The vendors--- this is part of the Negril experience. I didn't find them to be a problem and I did notice that security was always there when guests went up to the vendors. Loved the beach musicians who will play for you for tips. We walked the beach with no problems.

The staff ---- wonderful!! Except for a few bartenders at the bar at The Palms who didn’t seem too friendly.

Entertainment – was nice having live music while having dinner at the Palms. Also enjoyed all the reggae music played during the day at the beach bars and the restaurants. Missed the Silverbirds twice---but we have seen them before lots of times--- but if you have not seen them---do not miss them.

A few negatives --- 2 of the liquor bottles in our room had their seals broken and looked like they had been refilled several times---the label on one of the bottles was really worn. Not knowing if these bottles had been in other guest’s room previously, I did not want to drink from them. I mentioned this to one of the bartenders and that afternoon they delivered 2 new bottles to our room. I also did not like that although I completed the pre check in online as to what liquors we wanted in our room we did not receive them until the day after our arrival. Housekeeping was very good, and I’m use to rooms being made up late in the afternoon as I know they have to get the rooms ready for arriving guests, but 3 days our rooms were not made up until after we went for dinner.

Pools --- if you are a pool person I don’t think this is the place for you ---both pools were very small. I noticed they did the dive lessons in the small “main” pool and the swim up bar only had about 6 seats and you had to get out of one part of the pool to actually get into the bar part of the pool which became crowded very quickly. There is a large pool across the street at the sports complex though.

All in all we had a great time and plan on returning next July!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mficke0713

Reviewed 17 August 2012

The resort was very beautiful, somewhat Jungle like in between the units.The Feathers restaurant was excellent!!! The piano bar is a good time, very chilly a/c but everyone likes to join in and sing! The snorkeling was wondereful and the catamaran ride was alot of fun. it is truly a beautiful property and the ocean was wonderful, beautiful, clean and just so relaxing! The employees are wonderful! The food in the buffet is good but its worth it to make reservations at the restaurants, very good.

If I went again I would pay a little extra and get the ocean view! We had an atrium suite and becuase they have so many screen windows that close by wooden blinds its really noisey in the morning, You hear the road traffic, employee's carts and morning doves! The swim up bar has a terrible odor sometimes! Beware of birds landing on the buffet in the back of the room where the desserts are displayed. All in all its all in your attitude but I expected a little more for a 5 star. I've gone to Mexico resorts that are far nicer and are 4 star.

Room Tip: Ocean view and not on first floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Couplessweep
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at couples swept away in July of 2012 and on our last day an important item was stolen from our bag. When we made couples aware of the situation they asked us to file an incident report, which we did, after the incident was supposedly investigated, I contacted couples claims. Who stated that they will not take responsible for the theft because; although, the item was on there resort, we should not have trusted the staff with an important item. If you want to keep to enjoy a vocation without worrying about your things being stolen I suggest you not go to this resort, EVER!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Latisha W
Reviewed 15 August 2012

It all boils down to perspective. If you compare CSA to other resorts in Jamaica the hype and high ratings are may be warranted. However, if you compare to other 4 & 5 stars in the caribbean in my opinion CSA is a 3 at best. The location and beach are unmatched, the grounds well maintained, the staff is great and very accommodating, and the drinks are strong. Where CSA falls shorts is in the rooms, although clean, they are dated and in need of a renovation, as are the restaurants. The food was ok, it lacked the panache, flavor, and flair you expect at this price point--it did not have the caribbean spice and flavor you'd expect. The rum was spicier than the jerk chicken. Also on property activities are need of an upgrade and very few people participate. When we were there the resort was full and the casino, club and dance floors empty. Although you'd probably want to venture to clubs in Negril anyway.

Overall not a bad place, again the beach is unmatched. If you looking for a nice simple, relaxing vacation where the drinks continually flow and you can have a decent meal, then this is a good choice. Recommend looking at Iberostar & Excellence resorts, both I considered step above CSA for roughly the same price. We travel to the caribbean at least once a year and have stayed in AI's, non-AI's and rentals, and luxury is a top priority.

6  Thank srfree
Reviewed 14 August 2012

WOW..what a beautilful resort..the people were all friendly and helpfull. All the restaurants were great and food was cooked to perfection. We spent 4 days and didnt what to leave...the bech was beautiful and security did a great job on the grounds and the beach.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Bjeffery1969
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Anyone giving this place a decent review obviously has never stayed at another resort. First Impressions mean a lot. Once we arrived at the airport we arrived at the Couples lounge. Very plain, not enough time for a drink. Saw Sandals lounge and thought to myself hope we didn't make a mistake. Got a ride very quickly, but they take your bags and give them to a guy to walk them 20 feet to tell you he wants money and doesn't work for Couples. The ride was uneventful, just a heads up: Jamacian drivers are crazy. It makes driving in a big city in the US seem sane. When we got to the resort we went to check in, had to wait a bit in line, got to check in and then was told a room wouln't be ready for at least 3 hours and we could leave our bags in the hallway and check out the resort. It was downpouring out and there wasn't a thing to do. This was my first encounter that told me this was a mistake. We wandered around and came back, no room ready yet. Waited another hour, got our room, no one offered to take our bags to our room. I paid for an upgraded room and got a standard room. At that point we just wanted a room, so settled for it, we didn't want to wait until midnight to get a room. The room was dated but clean, the closet light went on everytime the bathroom light went on, which was inconvenient if you got up in the night, you wake up the other person. mini bar was stocked with 2 cans of beer, 1 bottle of coke, 1 diet coke and an orange juice. That was i. The beach is beautiful but be warned, people will be selling you anything from weed to cocaine to jewelry and singing songs. They are relentless. This is the norm I guess for Jamaica, everyone pushing you to buy stuff. They will throw anything at you. A guy put bracelets on us and we didn't even ask for them, he just grabbed our hands, tied them on and then asked for money. If you didn' have it, they would ask you to come back and ask your resort and room number. Leave the resort, take a walk down the beach and the instant you walk off the resort beach it gets worse. The food was average, the drinks weren't great, I didn't drink many of them. We ended up leaving the resort to go to other hotels for dinner. We had a cab driver that was recommended and was very good. the one guard insisted we take a resort cab, I guess they use a company for this. The driver seemed odd, took us to the town for some shopping. When we were leaving, the cab smelled like weed and he was drinking beer! This guy was high as a kite! Needless to say, I was livid, I told the concierge which seemed surprised by this and said to talk to the tours person, which wasn't even there. The service at the resort is mediocre, no one goes out of their way for you. If you want to do any activities, be prepared to book a few days in advance, same with restaurant reservations. Negril is very run down, I expected it to be a little more inviting. Maybe Montego Bay is better? Needless to say we were ready to go home. Last day our flight left at 11:45, they told us after 6am they would pick up our bags, they showed up 20 minutes early! 5:40am and knocking on the door. We had to be on the shuttle by 7. had an hour, nothing to do, couldn't get breakfast because coincidentally no where, including room service started breakfast until after 7. They had no problem kicking us out early after making us wait the first day. The ride to the airport somehow was only an hour this time, again, bags were being taken by people that weren't even from Couples, take literally take your bags across the street. We just grabbed our bags and left, we had enough at that point. I had higher expectations of this resort, after seeing so many positive reviews and being let down on just about every aspect. The whole time we were wishing we went back to Mexico, where service is superior and people are willing to work. Jamaica was a total let down. In my opinion, their laid back, take your time, no rush attitude, just equivalates to laziness. Its their culture. If you go, don't expect much. I would suggest trying Montego Bay or better yet, a different country altogether. We should've booked 1/2 the trip there and stayed at Sandals or the Iberostar Grand. This was my first and last trip to Jamaica

Room Tip: Don't spend for an upgraded room, they will just give you an average room anyway
16  Thank jms2288
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is a review based on just a day visit only!
This year we finally took a day off the beach at Couples Negril and went to spend the day at Couples Swept Away and boy are we glad that we did.
The property is beautiful. Although spread out, especially compared to Couples Negril, it is laid out so well and the grounds are so pretty it is nice to stroll from place to place.
We were able to eat at Seagrapes and the enjoyed the famous sweet potato chips. They were good, but the stand out to me was the fish tacos, they were stupendous.
We were not able to see the rooms of course, but we did enjoy the swim up bar and both beach bars. I love that one of the beach bars has checkers, backgammon and chess inlaid in the bars to while away the hours.
In comparing the two properties, I still have to give the pools to Couples Negril. But the beaches at both are amazing. The beach at Swept Away it beautiful.
Service was good, although I did think that they were a little understaffed at the bars. The swim up bar especially. There was only one bar tender and at one point it was about 15 people deep waiting for drinks.
As so many have written, the sports complex and spa are amazing.
We enjoyed it so much that we will be planning a trip to Swept Away very soon!

9  Thank blondie9093