“Better the second time...can't wait to go back.”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This review may be a little lengthy, but I try to cover as much as I can…bear with me. This was our second time to CSA…we loved it then…we love it even more now. I won’t say much about the weather…Couples has no control over that, although our days were bright and sunny. I won’t say much about Customs and Immigration either…it is what it is. I will say that our wait in line for Customs was less than an hour this time. If you want an “express lane” into and out of Customs, have your travel agent check into Club MoBay. It’s an exclusive service which kind of takes you to the “front of the line”. It does cost though…not sure how much it is coming into the country, but going out, it was 30 dollars per person. We used it going out…there is a VIP area where you have complementary drinks and food. For us, it was worth the money. The restaurants in Sangster International Airport can be pricey. Now, on to our visit.

We found the Couples kiosk in the airport and were graciously greeted and our baggage checked. Be sure to have a few dollars on hand for the baggage handlers. Couples does not allow tipping, but that does not apply to the baggage handlers. After a nice cold Red Stripe, we boarded our bus for CSA. The trip takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the traffic. Our driver was pretty good…you have to be to navigate those roads and the other drivers. Make sure you get the driver to stop and get some real “jerk chicken.” Those little roadside rum bars and grills are the best for that.

Arrival at CSA was as enjoyable as it was before. We were greeted with a cool towel and some champagne. I’ve read where check in was not very pleasant…I can’t say that. Everyone we came in contact with was very cordial. We arrived before 3:00pm so our room was not quite ready….so if you arrive before 3pm, don’t be surprised if your room isn’t ready either. The official check in time is at 3pm. We just took the time to find a bar and have a nice, cold rum punch. The thing to remember here is that you are in vacation….so just relax…don’t be in a hurry.
Rooms-We got to our room shortly after 3, and it was just as we expected…clean, and comfortable. I’ve read where some folks feel the rooms here are “dated.” I didn’t see that…I prefer to call them nostalgic. It reminds me of an “old world look.” We had an ocean view veranda….very nice view of the beach and some foliage. We were most pleased with the room. Our room was cleaned daily and there is also a turndown service…so our room was checked and “refreshed” twice daily. Don’t get there here in the states. There is WiFi in all the rooms and most everywhere on the resort.

Food…something we all enjoy. There are several restaurants on the property. All are not open all the time and some require long pants and closed toed shoes for the gents. Feathers is one such restaurant…and you must make reservations for it. We ate at several of the restaurants…but I’d have to say that Patois and the grill were probably our favorites. Mostly because the food was great, and they were both just steps away from our room. There is also a place called Seagrapes which caters to non-meat eaters…very nice place. Be sure to go to the Managers Cocktail party on Monday nights….gives you a chance to meet the managers.

Alcohol-something else we all like to partake of. There are several bars on the resort. They all open at 10am and close at different hours. The tiki bars close earlier than the restaurant bars…just keep that in mind. They do not skimp on the alcohol.

Activities-CSA has several activities that you can participate in like, Volley Ball kayaking, Hobie Cats, deep sea fishing, and glass bottom boat rides. There is also water skiing. Be sure to go on the sunset “booze” cruise. You have to schedule it as it is only offers on certain days. We were entertained by "Rasta Ralphie" who has to be in his 70's but acts like he's in his 20's. We enjoyed that very much…takes you out to Negril Point, where Rick’s Café is. You can also go swimming to the limestone cave there…nice little trip. Be sure to visit the Piano bar in the Great House….lots of fun there.

Beach-Can’t say enough about that beach….unlike any other in Jamaica. It’s an open beach, so anyone walks it….including the locals and folks from other resorts. The “higglers” are always out…they peddle anything from shells, to wood carvings, to cigars, parasailing…and I believe they all peddle pot. One word about the pot…you may already know this, but it is illegal in Jamaica. If you smoke it, don’t be stupid…that’s all I’ll say about that. Back to the peddlers…some are persistent. A polite and simple “No Thank You” works most all the time if you aren’t interested in their wares. If you are interested in what they sell, never pay what they ask…start out by offering half of what they ask…then pay what you are comfortable with. Also, be aware that this is how they make their money…and most are poor. Take a walk down the beach. There are many little local shops there and their prices are reasonable. If you are a Jimmy Buffett fan, Margaritaville is about a 10 minute walk from CSA. The beach itself is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen…and I live near the beach.

Staff-Can’t say enough about the staff at CSA. We met several who quickly became friends. Once, Cecil, who took our pictures 2 years ago, took our pictures again this trip….and he remembered us from our last visit. Everyone staff person who waited on us from the General Manager to housekeeping were most pleasant and very eager to see to whatever needs we had. When they do something for you, you can’t tip them…so say a simple “thank you.” They appreciate it.

I’ve tried to think of some cons…I’m sure that there are some with CSA. No place is perfect. But right now, I really can’t think of a thing that I didn’t like. My advice is, go to have fun, slow down, relax, and don’t be in a hurry. You’re on vacation!!

Ask question if you want…I’ll be glad to answer them. Don't let a few negative reviews and people steer you away from this place. Its awesome!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Keith R

Reviewed 7 June 2013

My fiance and I stayed at CSA from May 27-June 3 and had an amazing time. We loved our atrium suite (porch and hammock were perfect for early morning coffee and mid-afternoon rainstorm breaks), which we found clean and comfortable. The room had a wonderful authentic caribbean vibe and even though it was warm we liked to keep our windows open during the day to hear the birds and get fresh air. We wanted to actually feel like we were at the caribbean! Ha! Turned on the AC at night and were very comfortable.
All the food was very tasty. Loved Lemongrass and Seagrapes the best, though never had a bad meal anywhere on the property the whole time.
The catamaran cruise is a must-do! It was the highlight of our trip since we had perfect weather for it, enjoyed the guys that ran the boat, and going off the slide into the water near the caves was a blast. The older gentleman who seemed to be "in charge" of things on the boat actually had us freeze and he did a thorough head-count before heading back to the resort after the swim...we felt in good hands.
Snorkeled, water-skied, kayaked and sailed the Hobie Cats. The watersports crew tend to be on the less-friendly side but maybe it's just that they are the busiest. We didn't care though, had a great time with all the activities.
Massages at the spa were sub-par but relaxing. I only wish I had done some research beforehand and knew who technician to request. Can't remember the name of the gentleman who did my massage but it was just so-so. The spa facilities and sport area are gorgeous though!
Only other hiccups were a jelly-fish sting in the swimming area (don't let them put rum on it at the bar...rookie mistake! Go for vinegar) and a 2-hour power outage one night. We really did enjoy ourselves though, plan to return, and recommend it to friends and family.

8  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Beautiful location! Private beach was wonderful, although my husband's sandals were stolen right off of the beach. Don't leave things lying around near the water where locals passing by can swipe stuff.
Loved that they had plenty of lounge chairs for everyone on the beach. Loved the food in every restaurant. Loved the accomodations. Note: gym is OUTSIDE with no A/C. If you don't like working out in the heat and humidity, don't bring your workout clothes! There is a cover over it to keep sun and rain out, but I was a little surprised that it was outside.
Also, I was NOT impressed with the staff here. They definitely had some that were nice but the rest really made me feel like I was bothering them anytime I asked a question. For the money you are spending to stay here, I expected them to be MUCH nicer. We took a taxi to Mayfield Falls and I highly recommend that place! Just do it! You will be wet the whole time as you are in the water for most of the trip but it is VERY fun. Rick's Cafe is also a must-see with the cliff divers!
Overall this resort was nice but I may try a smaller one next time. My husband had been to a smaller one before and said the staff was nicer.

Room Tip: Definitely book a lower level room if you can. You are in and out of your room so much, climbing st...
1  Thank Marcia L
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Had a great time. The place is rather large and was fully booked. Swim up bar staff was great as well as the feathers staff. Make sure to wear shoes or sandles on the beach. I contracted a parasite in my foot!! Aggghhhhhh! Monsters inside me!! I'm sure ill be fine. Had a blast and would go back again!

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank JJHSR
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The experience starts at the Couples airport lounge where you are offered a drink and a clean bathroom to use (Don't use the airport public bathroom at the arrivals terminal it is old and dirty, wait until you get your luggage and arrive at the couples lounge in the airport). They will take your bags and let you rest for a few minutes before your 1.5 hour bus ride to the resort. The ride is air conditioned and scenic. You will get the same treatment at the resort (drink, cold towel) when you check in. Book your dinner and activities after you check in. We booked 2 restaurants and the catamaran cruise even before we went to our room. Your bags will be carried to the room by the bell man and he will show you how everything works in the room. They will require a $300 deposit or hold on a credit card for room charges.

Room: We had a Veranda garden suite with a Flat screen TV, large bathroom and shower and a large balcony with chairs and sofa. We never used the balcony. The room was big but lacked lighting. Only 4 very low wattage lights, it was difficult to go through luggage at night. The bathroom suffers from the same low dim lighting. Only 1 tube light in the bathroom. The Shampoo didn't lather up and it wasn't moisturizing. Bring your own if you need a good shampoo. There is a safe thats big enough to fit an ipad and a 14 inch laptop (but leave them home you don't need it). Bed was King sized and very comfortable. Alarm clock radio with built in ipod/iPhone connector (old connector, will not fit iPhone 5).

Restaurants: Feathers is the best restaurant by far, The night we went they had a special coffee encrusted fillet with king crab legs it was delicious, appetizers are small so make sure to order all of them. The Patio restaurant is good, it is a la cart and we enjoyed every meal we had there. Menus change everyday. The Palms is mostly a buffet restaurant. The breakfast is ok not too many choices but it's good. Breakfast is pretty much the same everyday. Omelet station and waffle/pancake station are pretty good. The Lunch at the palms is buffet and great. The dinners are ok, but the international dinner buffet on monday night was really good. There is a beach party at the Palms on Friday night. We went for a late dinner that night and some of the food was overcooked and dry so be sure to get there early. Our favorite restaurant was Sea Grapes. We loved this vegetarian restaurant on the beach. They had a great menu and everything was made fresh. We ate here just about everyday, and chef Janet was awesome. Try all the hot sauces there you wont be disappointed. (Hot mustard and hot mango were our favorites) There is also a cabana grill near the swim up bar serving burgers and fries. Good for late night snack or a quick bite anytime. Get the Beef of Chicken patties, delicious.
Lemongrass is a Thai restaurant that we thought was okay. We have had much better Thai in NYC. It was good but not good enough to go twice. The ambiance was nice and it's worth going at least once. We met other couples that loved it but they were from Wisconsin and Iowa so I guess your taste for thai depends on what kind of thai is available where you live.
Overall we thought the food on the resort was above average.

Pools: There are 2 pools one on each side of the resort, The pool near the Patio restaurant has a swim up bar. Night swimming is allowed.

Beach bars: 2 Bars on the beach, great staff at the sunset bar. Michelle and Oshane are really friendly and mix great drinks. Oshane works tirelessly delivering drinks up and down the beach, great kid. There is a great martini bar above the Palms, The bartender is Shawn and he will keep you entertained all night. Great times, great martinis.

There is a night club "Aura" above the Patio restaurant, music was good but the bar stock is limited and the bar tenders have some attitude and refused to give us drink recommendations when I asked for some. We went on our first night and never went back.

We had a couples massage at the spa. It was one of the best massages I ever had. Our therapists were Colaneen and Georgette. Steam room and hot tub included with the massage. Don't be shy and get naked, it makes for a more enjoyable massage. They keep you covered all the time. They only expose the limb/part that they work on. If you have a complimentary 25 minute honeymoon massage you MUST upgrade it to a 50 minute massage. Don't even think about this, just do it. It's well worth it.
The sports complex also has a lap pool which we usually used around 5pm, it was always empty.

Activities: Lots to do and most of it is included, The glass bottom boat tour was fun, Julian our captain was funny and had us laughing the whole time. Snorkeling was good but skip the night snorkeling we heard it was hard to see anything. Catamaran cruise is a must, all you can drink and 30 minute swimming near the caves. The Catamaran has a water slide.

The Beach: You've seen the pictures so nothing to add here, its just perfect. Plenty of chairs, lots of shade. Use your chair cushion in the water to float on and enjoy.
No need to bring much cash, tipping is not allowed. I tried to tip and they were reluctant to take it but I insisted and they did appreciate it. However you do need to tip the guys at the airport that carry your bags to the bus. $1-$2 per bag. And you should tip your massage therapists and the guys on the Catamaran Cruise. The staff is very friendly and helpful, they will go out of their way to accommodate you. But there is a laid back attitude so just chill out and go with the flow. Leave your uptight attitude and pickiness at home.
Overall we thought it was our best vacation experience yet. We would go back in a few years.

Room Tip: Rooms near the road are noisy but it didn't disturb our sleep.
23  Thank qbert786
Reviewed 4 June 2013

stayed may 25-June2/
I thought about how to rate this and start off. I can understand the 3's as well as the 5's so chose a 4. To my husband and I celebrating our 20th anniversary, the resort was perfect! I'd rather give a 4.5 Think of it like this...We can say we have perfect children, a perfect job, perfect city, perfect house, etc...but we can all find little flaws that do not take away from still using the word "perfect".
I have been to fancier places but did feel comfortable here. No marble, nothing fancy.
I know many of these reviews are similar so will hit on highlights or other.

Arrival to airport- easy, went to lounge, got a drink, waited a few minutes and headed out. Our driver sadly said nothing- no history or joking, etc. I also realized half way thru he never stopped for us to get a drink. Not sure why but a little disappointing. The drive was an hour and 20 minutes, which was fine because we like to observe and see the culture along the way. A ton of goats we had to honk at to get thru.

Arrival at hotel- a little disorganized but I was prepared. They give you a brief rundown, and tell you to go eat some lunch and come back to get your room key. We intended to do the orientation but quickly found we were getting our answers from others there and didn't want to use up an hour away from the beach. Nothing against sitting thru it however.

The rooms- yes, dated a little, but I loved it. We were in the garden verandah, right next to the road and the noise never ever bothered us. Never needed our earplugs. We were also right next to the Great house which was nice to run to Internet cafe for free access. We sat on balcony a lot. The furnishings are a little "tired" but fine. The connection to wifi in room is iffy. There are loud tree frogs, but it kind of reminded me of camping and found it entertaining and calming. odd, but true. The rooms all face towards the beach and we could see a bit of the ocean. The rooms have large umbrellas, stocked minifridge, iron and board, a safe, and clean beds (a bit firm, but nice). Everything in our room worked so we like it.(aside from the tv blinking out while we were watching a show). A/C was great.There is a hang cord to put wet suits.

Pools- 2 that are rather small in comparison to other resorts. One at each end of the resort. Both are in view of the people walking/eating in the restaurants. Disappointed the music really was only on in the bar areas (beach bar, swim up bar). They do not offer activities or staff saying "let's play name that tune, couples contest, or scavenger hunt, etc". i did miss that. Seldom heard much reggae.

Staff- Great! I just said hello and joked with them so they didn't have a chance to ignore me or be mean as some reviewers have stated.. I'm a talkative person so became buddies quickly with several. They work hard and make little money compared to the States (ave. $70 per week)

Beach- GLORIOUS!, roped off area, floats on loungers to take out and chill. I've been to Cabo, Puerta Vallarto, Monetego Bay, and Punta Cana. Loved this set up better than any others I've seen. Bars are easy to get to, but they do have green flags to put up if you'd rather a waiter come bring you a drink. If you're here soley for a lush pool, I would go elsewhere. I might've thought that, but we spent most time in the beach water. Plenty of open loungers at all time. We got up early one day to get a palapa but realized, we too left them sitting without us in them and opted for ones under the palms which are super shady.

Included Activities- Totally impressed with the sports area, though we didn't really use, just walked around. Had a few infused drinks at their bar. Very quiet on that side. Check the site for the amenities over there. We did use the spa( extra $) which was great (thanks Nancy).
We tried the Hobie cat sail, catamaran to ricks cafe, snorkeling, paddle board and all was fun. The offered skiing and diving, but it is hard to fit it all in. We had great intentions to do a lot but then would be too tired from the sun to do it all. The piano bar was fun, and even the disco. We went to the bon fire by the beach and they bring you blankets. nice touch! We went on the duty free trip 3 or 4 miles away and highly recommend. Their prices are much cheaper than the resort or the airport for coffee.($7 for little package in resort, $3 and $4 at duty free shops) You can even haggle with them. The trip is free and we shopped for about an hour and and a half. Don't bother with the shuttle to margaritaville. It's only a 10 minutes walk down the beach.
They offer a day to try out their sister resort at Couples Negril. Of course, this was another thing we planned to do, but didn't. I hear they have the bigger pool, we have the fancier beach:)

Food- The best I've ever had from any other experience. I loved it all and while the buffet might not have been as big as some I've seen, I loved it all, from every restaurant. Omelet, crepes stations too. We learned that Patoi (pronounced Patwah does serve breakfast, lunch and dinner) but the book in the room says "dinner only'. It was never busy and the food was great.
The drinks are really strong. If you're brave do a Bob Marley Shot, but don't do too many or you will regret it later in the day/next day. I noticed they while they have some top shelf liquor, it is questionable whether they are "temporarily out". If you find something, you might order double drinks.

Other- Loved the little lighted paths all around the resort. I wouldn't bother bringing heels( or a suitcase full) as flip flops are the primary shoe of choice with all that walking and sand around. Huge crabs come out at night, and other creatures like snails and geckos. Like the layout with food at both ends of resort, as well as the pools. Guys at the bar were fun (Davien and Ricardo). We took bugspray and never needed it. I would still take it just in case. The photo guys are everywhere and the prices are crazy high (one pic on a cd is $15). Also the gift shops are expensive. They really have a plastic frisbee for $25 (the kind we have at the dollar store) but because it said CSA was that much.
There are those on beach wanting to sell you everything(ganja) but I have no problem joking with them and just saying no. They leave you alone and move on.
never needed a coat at all, other than the a/c was cold in Feathers and might want a light jacket.

Overall, Great time, great resort. If you read reviews on here, you should know what to expect and if you want the Ritz Carlton, just go to the Ritz Carlton. This was about the experience and we really did love it. I only hesitate on the 5 due to comparisons of other places I've been with marble everything and the flaws mentioned.
I ran into a couple in their 70's and they were not comfortable. I can understand this as the evening activities didn't really start until 9pm. For them, this was probably too late to stay up. Most visitors were honeymooners and those with anniversaries. The ages ranged from 20-60 I'd say for the most part. There was an average of 1-2 weddings per day on the beach.
There are activities like hat making, speaking Jamaican, tie dye, mixology and they provide an itinerary with the weeks activities.
This resort was rather expensive, but when you consider all the included water sports, I think it makes up for it. Would we go again? Of course! Recommendations are to just spruce the place up(replace older areas), make check in easier, and rectify the above flaws i mentioned. Should you worry about coming if you've already booked this place? Absolutely not! Enjoy yourself. You're on Jamaican time, and the country does move a little slower. You're on vacation. LOVE IT! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. I took a ton of pictures.

8  Thank happyfamilyMacomb_Il
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Not a bad place, just not 4 star and a bit on the rustic side. If you're not a beach/outdoors person don't go because there aren't a lot of things to do besides sit at the pool or beach all day. The biggest surprise was that none of the restaurants but one (which you had to make reservations for) had AC and there were some pretty hot nights when we were too hot to eat. Besides that, the beach is beautiful but we spent a lot of time in our rooms during the day because the heat and humidity was just so bad. At least the rooms have AC! The food is decent and Feathers and Lemongrass were our favorites. The liquor options aren't bad but they give you drinks in small plastic cups. We were in a garden verandah room which had a nice patio but it is true that you definitely hear the birds and frogs and one particular bird would wake us up in the early morning hours. By the end of the trip sunburned and bug bitten, we were ready to get back to home and plan a more luxurious vacation. Not a bad place, just a little too rustic and outdoorsy for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends