“Best Vacation Yet” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Vacation Yet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for our birthdays. We had never been to Jamaica before and did a tone of research before making our choice of where to stay. Thank God for that. When we arrived at the airport we had to be driven about an hour to the resort. As we made it close to our destination, we made several stops to drop the other travelers off to their locations and each stop made me cringe. I was so prepared to ruff it after seeing the other locations. Boy was I relieved. We were greeted with champagne and fresh damp clothes.. room was fresh and clean,bright and open. The beach beautiful cleaned daily and huge... The resort offered everything. I could go on and on...but you get it. .. lol! Thinking of going back in March.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Dennis A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,394)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We just returned from our 7th visit to CSA and, in my opinion, the resort keeps getting better!

We traveled with another couple who we introduced to CSA a couple of year ago. This was their 3rd trip back. Our arrival was uneventful…pretty much the same routine as in previous years. We arrived around noon on a Friday and the Immigration line wasn’t long; we waited maybe five minutes. Our luggage was already unloaded and waiting for us. We went to the Couples Lounge for Red Stripes and waited about 40 minutes before the shuttle was ready. We did rent a Jamaica phone from one of the guys in the Lounge for a very reasonable price. I think it was perhaps $35 for 500 minutes. I really glad we did because in previous years I’ve had no cell reception and with the rented phone I was able to call home once a day to check in and not worry about how much it was costing. The ride to the resort seemed extremely long this trip, and, we didn’t make any stops.

Upon arriving at the resort, we were given the customary cold towels and champagne. Check in was quick. We love the Greathouse and I asked for our favorite room. It was available. The room that our friends requested was not available and they were given one with a horrible view of the building next door. They called the front desk and were able to change to a room with a more desirable view. Before going to our rooms, we went over to the concierge’s desk and made reservations for the catamaran, Lemongrass, and the repeater’s dinner with no problem.

After unpacking, we walked down to the Beach Grill and ordered burgers and jerk chicken. The chicken was wonderful. The burger is different from what I remembered in previous years; the patty itself was huge with a very weird texture. I asked one of the gentlemen behind the counter if the meat was 100% beef and he assured me that it was. I didn’t care for it. Later on during the week, I had a veggie burger from Seagrapes that was exactly the way I remembered it to be. The texture was very close to what you would expect from a beef burger and the flavor was good. I actually preferred it over the “real” beef burger from the Beach Grill.

We ate breakfast at both Patios and the Palms most days and the meals were what I remembered. I personally love the omelet stations and the pancakes. We had dinner at the Palms, Patios, and Lemongrass. All of the meals were very good. I had an exceptionally good pork chop dish one night at the Palms, a wonderful sirloin with mashed potatoes at Patios, and the Pad Thai and the tasting platter were wonderful at Lemongrass I particularity loved the lamb kabobs! One thing to keep in mind about Lemongrass…the temperature of the restaurant is extremely hot since its outdoors. There is a nice cold room off to the left as you come into the restaurant that has a pool table. We took refuge there when we felt the need to cool off.

Our room was always cleaned pretty early and done exceptionally well. Our mini-bar wasn’t stocked when we arrived but someone came promptly to do it after called the front desk. Every day it was stocked with what we requested. We didn’t like that they now place 16oz sodas and juices in the miniature jugs. It was too much was wasteful. My only complaint is that we often drunk all the water that was in the frig. It wasn’t a problem to request more but since they don’t keep it refrigerated its hot when it’s delivered…sucks if you’re dying of thirst.
We spent a few mornings across the street at the fitness center. I didn’t do much working out but did use the lap pool and the hot tub. Ricardo was working the bar and he is as wonderful and engaging as ever!

The green flag service was non-existent the entire time we were there; never saw one! However, we were always close to the bar and didn’t mind getting our own drinks, plus, it always a pleasure talking to Colleen.

We spent a day off-resort doing the Black River tour and had planned to go to YS Falls. However, it was a Monday and we didn’t realize that the Falls were closed. Instead, we took a boat to the Pelican Bar. It was a lot of fun. We ate a lobster dish there and had a couple of Red Stripes. We book the rip with Elvis and his son drove us in Elvis’ car. The price was very fair. It was nice to do something that we’d not done in all the years we’d been going to CSA.
I’ve read a number of reviews commenting on the renovations and the service at CSA. Here’s what I experienced; the service was top-notch. Not once did I encounter anyone who wasn’t friendly and accommodating. A number of the staff know us since we’re been returning a number of years but there are quite a few new faces and those people were extremely nice. As for the construction, we saw it going on in the building next to the Greathouse but never heard a sound. Had we not saw the workers we would not have known that construction was occurring.

We love CSA and would recommend the resort to anyone looking for a nice, relaxing, clean, place to vacation with great food and wonderful staff. We hope to returning soon!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank t4me2
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
t4m2, thank you for the continued support and referrals. We are pleased to know that you have continued to enjoy your time with us in Jamaica and we look forward to welcoming you again
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon after we got married at secrets st.james Montego Bay. We had 30 family members as guests at the wedding and wanted to have time to ourselves to explore another part of Jamaica. We read great reviews about couples and saw a lot of pictures that made it look so nice. Not the case. It is very dated, built in the 50's and looked like it hasn't been updated since. When we first arrived in our room the walls were cracked, the trim was hanging off the walls, and the bathroom was gross. The tiles looked like they haven't been cleaned ever! The food was decent but that couldn't make up for the poor resort. The beach chair pads were old and cracked and dirty. The pool was a joke. The maid service only seemed to come when we were trying to take a nap, and one day we didn't have our drinks refilled until 830! It is hot in Jamaica in August you would think this would have been taken care of often. The food was decent like I said, but menus never changed except for the crummy buffet, so by the third time at the one restaurant you didn't need reservations for it was kind of old. The reservations were a joke too; you only had one chance to eat at feathers the entire stay and there weren't tons of people there at the time of our stay. All of this, no room service, and crappy selections is what we got coming to couples. We would go to our room and laugh every night about what we left at secrets!! At one point we almost cried. There we're come nice things like the beach, and the stars at night were amazing, but by day this place was downright depressing. They did offer more water sport service but reserving this was a joke as well. You only got one shot to do the major things like catamaran tour and the glass bottom boat. It was sad, by the time our reservations came around we didn't feel like doing it anyway, expecting it to be as bad as the rest. The piano bar smelled like a litter box with a little mold in it too. The events they had were a joke, no lie a jokey joke!!! We had some really cool shows at secrets in Montego Bay and we left it all for this place that people say good things about!? We didn't see what they did, secrets was by far the better place and it was cheaper as well. We still scratch our heads about that one. To sum it up...don't go here if you want a nice modern clean fun exciting resort!!!! Don't say I didn't tell you!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Courtney C
Couples Swept A... M, Operations Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Courtney thanks for taking the time to post your experience and we are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. Our property which first opened in 1989 and expanded in 2005 has been undergoing some renovations which will recommence in May of 2014. Being in Negril with the largest stretch of the 7 mile beach, our property features our beach more so than our pools of which we have 3. Our housekeepers do regular service from 9am to 5pm after which turndown service is given however specific service times can be requested if this is preferred and our menus change twice per week in all of our 6 restaurants. We do appreciate the feedback and use these reviews as tools to improve our service.

David Ebanks
Operations Manager
Hutchinson, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

My wife & I just returned from a 5 day, 4 night trip. We have a been to multiple tropical resorts & locations & this is by far is our favorite so far. We choose an Atrium Suite ( Room 1221) and loved it. The patio & hammock were an excellent add on for us. I am an early riser and my wife not so much. So, I would just sneak out and listen to the birds chirping while I was swaying in the hammock. Great way to start the morning. Then, head over to do some laps in the pool. The lap pool isn't really long, but its still nice to get the blood flowing in the morning. We had great food at every meal, even the buffet's. Feathers & Lemongrass are a must. Very high end food & liquor selection. Beach & activities were great. We did the glass bottom boat, snorkeling, paddle boarding & the catamaran trip. We recommend all activities and they are all provided at no additional cost.
This was a fantastic getaway for my wife & I. We love our children dearly but every set of parents needs time to re-charge the batteries every once in a while in a kid free environment. We are very thankful that we choose Couples Swept Away for our destination. We met couple's from their 20's to 60's. and everyone was just layed back and having a great time. We will definitely cone back to CSA!

Room Tip: We specifically chose an Atrium Suite because there was no TV to distract us from relaxing. Also, th...
2 Thank IHeartTravel767
IHeartTravel767, Couples Resorts has always been known to offer rest and relaxation and that seems to be just what you received. Looking forward to having you spend some more time with us.
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I could go on and on and on about how much we loved it at Couples Swept Away!! Such a relaxing, beautiful place with that "No Worries" atmosphere that everyone needs! The ride to the resort is a little long but it's neat (and sad at the same time) to see how Jamaicans live as you go through all their little towns. You'll see lots of poverty, but also all the beautiful shorelines and mountains! The shuttle driver is a little crazy and they drive on the opposite side of the road- so it's quiet the adventure! We were originally a little concerned about our safety outside of the resort but after being there and meeting the people- I don't think there's anything to worry about. Tourism is what supports their economy and they would never do anything to an American to jeopardize that! We had a beachfront verandah suite and it's definitely worth the extra money to have the beautiful beach view! We were on the top (3rd) floor and had a end room. Definitely the best if you don't mind walking up the stairs! In fact I would request Room 4321 if you happen to get a chance The room is very comfortable but is a little outdated.....but no worries, the view makes up for it! You aren't in the room very much anyways! You should make dinner reservations as soon as you arrive for the 2 fancy restaurants because they fill up fast. Feathers was our favorite, but Lemongrass was also good if you like Thai food. The other evenings you can eat at Palms or the Patio without reservations. Palms serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets. The patio serves breakfast & dinner and maybe even lunch off of a menu. The cabana grill is open from 11am-5am I believe and has awesome jerk chicken. Seagrapes is open for lunch starting at 11am and has awesome healthy foods like homemade hummus, etc. We usually ordered room service for breakfast around 7am and then we also hit the breakfast buffet around 9am lol. If you want a little cabana on the beach you will need to reserve one pretty early in the morning....we usually ran down around 6am and put our towels and flip flops on one, so that we had some shade throughout the day. We did the sunset catamaran cruise and the glass bottom boat tour- both are included. The glass bottom boat tour goes everyday at 9:00am and you can only reserve it one day in advance. The catamaran cruise was my favorite and is easier to reserve. The bartenders throughout the resort are awesome and will make anything that you request! Overall the service from the staff and the breathtaking view is what makes this resort a step above the rest!! Oh and don't even get me started on how wonderful the food was- some of the best I've ever ate!! You will not be disappointed at Couples Swept Away! P.S. you must try a Bob Marley shot :)

Room Tip: Beachfront Verandah Suite is definitely worth the extra money. 3rd end rooms are the best! Ask for...
3 Thank JBWood33
Hi JBWood33, no worries indeed in Jamaica... Good to know you had a great time and we appreciate your feedback.
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Well we just got back from a week in Couples Swept Away Negril and we can't say enough good things about this place.
ALL of the staff are friendly, efficient, knowledgable, and always asking if we are enjoying ourselves or what can they do for us. These employees truly know what customer service is about.
There is so much to see and do on the resort that really there is no need to leave unless you have something specific in mind(more about that later). And the best part is that most of the activities are included. Unlike other "all-inclusives" we have been at. Waterskiing, paddleboarding, kayaking, scuba diving(if certified), glass bottom boat, tennis with lessons, squash with lessons, racquetball with lessons, etc... I can tell you right now that one week is NOT enough time.
If you're like me and there are certain things off resort you just have to see(Appleton Estates anyone?), the people at the booking desk are very helpful and patient. Just be warned. Don't do the three in one trip to Black River, Appleton, and YS falls. Not enough time at any of them because they are all worth seeing.
The room we had was not beachfront, however we had a good view of the ocean, and an amazing view of the sunsets every night. Excellent. And clean and never any problem getting towels, etc.
Now to the food. One word...Awesome! None of the food could be described less than good, and at the Lemon Grass it was very good. And at Feathers? Absolutely fantastic out of this world crazy good(get the idea?) The last two are the upscale dress up restaurants but truly worth it.
I know I seem to have nothing bad about this place and you might think I'm too easy a reviewer, however if you have read any of my previous reviews you will see I have no problem calling places out. If you are an adult and a couple, GO HERE!
It is just that simple.

Room Tip: don't pay the extra for beachfront as most of the rooms are smaller and you are just paying for...
2 Thank Wadero1965
Wadero1965,your review is appreciated and its good to know you had a great time with us. We do look forward to having you vacation with us again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We actually stayed in January 2012, it just doesn't give you the option.

We stayed for 10 nights at this lovely hotel and looking back a year on I wish I was there again! There is nothing major I can complain about, everything was the top quality that you expect without being pretentious.
The weather was brilliant, around 30 degrees everyday with a heavy shower or 2 here and there which cleared up. The beach was beautiful, white sand, exceptionally clear warm sea and palm trees galore. There were plenty of sunbeds and with the hotel owning quite big section of the beach we certainly didn't feel like we were 'on top' of anybody else.
The all inclusive aspect was fantastic with great quality food served in several eateries throughout the day with enough to cater for everyone's taste. We particularly enjoyed the breakfasts which were out of this world and filled us up til evening! We had a basket of pastries and toast and a medley of fruit before even attempting a cooked breakfast. The drinks waiter service on the beach is a great idea....we'll at the time anyway.... All the staff were courteous and genuinely interested in wishing us a good day.
We enjoyed taking a wander across the road to the sports/health complex were it was quieter. After swimming a few laps of the pool, we played a game of table tennis and pool followed by a freshly made smoothie.
The rooms were very comfortable, modern but decorated in an authentic way with dark woods and crisp white linen. We had a large veranda with steps leading down into tropical gardens. The rooms were always kept clean and towels changed at our request. The stocked mini-bar was a huge bonus with unlimited amount of water/fizzy drinks and alcohol (top brands). All we had to do was fill out a card each night with what we wanted on it and leave it outside. I could go on and on, brilliant!

Room Tip: We had the 'standard room' on the ground floor which didn't have a sea view but was very...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CrawfMerc , thank you for your review. Its great to know that one year later and you still remember the impact we had on you. We hope that you will return and spend some time with us again soon..
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#9 of 84 in Negril
#16 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,171 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!