“more than we could have imagined”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 4 December 2013

it has been 25 years since we were in Jamaica for our honeymoon and decided to come back for our 25th. We chose couples swept away because our travel agent told us she's returned 12 times herself .We were not disappointed in any way. The beach was gorgeous .White sand,clear water.You can drift around on those floats for hours.The staff is awesome.Some friendlier than others,but all very helpful.The variety of food was outstanding.Again some better than others but you won't be hungry.The rooms are a bit rustic but that's a good thing.If I want a bunch of marble and pillars I will go somewhere else.The rooms situated in all that greenery makes you feel like your'e actually in Jamaica.Hint: room 3213 ocean veranda suite is sweet.

Room Tip: ocean veranda room 3213 beautiful view and close enough to beach to be convenient.Also its right in...
1  Thank Jstapleton9
Write a ReviewReviews (5,419)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed at CSA 3rd week in Nov and cannot say enough good things about the resort. But just a few hmmms. We were upgraded from beachfront verandah to premium bfv upon arrival. I booked this room back in March through my travel agent, yet didnt find out about the BFV non availability until arrival. Our suite was beautiful, rustic, large, and had a big balcony. However, we couldnt see the ocean for fauna. As the week went on, we noticed that there were ocean views from various room categories, but those rooms were significantly smaller. So when choosing a room, no matter what category, you may or may not get a view of the ocean. But, we loved our suite anyway. Feathers was a disappointment, not from the food, but the 2 staff waiting on us. Our drinks came after we finished our meal, not offered a wine list, too much goofing around. Little things. Lemongrass was excellent as were all of the restaurants. We had room service each day for breakfast, always delivered on time and with a smile. Our maid was GAYNA, and she did the most awesome job on our room all week. Aside from all this resort has to offer, we enjoyed the trip to Couples Negril resort nearby. Leave at 10 return at 4. Mon, Wed, and Fri. You are supposed? to be a member of Couples Romance Rewards to do this. Couples Negril has a completely different vibe to it and is about 1/2 the size of CSA. If you walk the beach one way at CSA, screw Margaritaville and their 4.50$ beers and 29$ tshirts. Lots of fun places to have a beer at a local spot along the beach. If you go to the right, you walk past Beaches and onto a public beach. We did that for the privacy. We didnt find the vendors annoying, better than the D.Rep. Some of the musicians were quite good, go ahead shoot them a few bucks. Catamaran cruise was boff as our new English friends we met on it would say. Do not miss it, doesnt go every day. And the guys on the boat do a great job and are not Couples employees, so slip them a tip. We are in our mid 50's and did not feel out of place at CSA. The entertainment was also great, especially the SilverBirds Steel Orchestra. Some staff could care less, but you get that anywhere. One last thing about Club MOBAY. 80$ pp for the service, for arrival and departure. I would only do this again as a guarantee to get me through the lines quicker. But there were no lines when we arrived nor when we left. So, it wasnt worth it this time. I would do this again, but only on departure. Feel free to contact me. We will return one day, but there are still lots of places to see. Really, Wisconsin? 38 TIMES at CSA?

Room Tip: room 2235 was a premium bfv with an ocean view
3  Thank Argofan
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I spent thanksgiving week in an atrium suite. They put us in a room facing the pool near the Palms restaurant. We requested a room change since we woke up to the clanking of dishes from Palms at 5:30am preparing for breakfast. They were very accommodating and switched us to a quieter room the next day. There was no tv in the atrium room which we knew about, but didn't miss it for one minute. The rooms could have had better lighting, but we didn't spend too much time there. The patio and hammock were very nice. All of the restaurants had great food. We requested room service daily with coffee and croissants. They arrived at the requested times each day. We loved Feathers and Lemongrass for dinners and ate almost daily at Sea Grapes for lunch. The restaurants had decent house wine (included) so we did not feel the need to pay for premium wines.Sea Grapes has great gazpacho, fish tacos, salads, veggie smoothies, sweet potato chips with dips and other healthy options. Janet was especially nice at Sea Grapes. We tried to avoid the buffets, as we tend to over eat. Even though the resort was filled, it never seemed like it was crowded(like on a cruise ship). The cabana beach grill has great jerk chicken at lunchtime only. The repeaters dinner at Patois was very nice. There is nightly entertainment in the Palms at 9pm and a fun piano bar also above Patois. We were never bored, but spent lots of time lounging on the beach with a book.

The bars were abundant and we especially liked Shawn at the Martini bar. Kevin, who did our orientation, made a special point of coming up to us daily and asking how we were doing. The service was overall good, but excellent at Feathers and Lemongrass. Please remember that the islands move slower than in the states, but enjoy...you are on vacation.

There was plenty of sun and shaded areas and chairs on a beautiful beach. We both did lap swimming at the sports complex. I also took yoga, Pilates and Aqua fit classes (which are part of my normal routine) and also to counteract the extra wine and drinks. My husband enjoyed the gym facility with plenty of equipment. We enjoyed the sunset catamaran cruise which was included. We did not make a special trip to Ricks Cafe to see the cliff divers, however, we made a swimming stop on the catamaran and saw our own cliff divers. The catamaran did sail by Ricks.

We have been to Couples San Souci twice before and enjoyed it thoroughly, but we will definitely be going back to Couples Swept Away! There are no tiers of service levels, as with some other all inclusive resorts. Everyone is treated equally well, and we enjoyed it.

Room Tip: If you must have a tv, don't choose an atrium. We loved our atrium room. They have lovely patios...
3  Thank Nancy T
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I just came back from Couples Swept Away. We have stayed at Couples Negril once and Couples San Souci three times, but on our next trip to Jamaica we will be returning to Negril and Swept Away. We had an atrium suite which is very rustic and authentic. We loved it as the windows do not have glass just screens, allowing you to hear all the outside noise, especially the tree frogs. This room category does not have a TV, but other room choices do, so if you are thinking of staying here for the first time, really read and research the room categories.

They had great entertainment with a bonfire on the beach, steel drum band, and various talented singers to compliment the band. There was lots of dancing and if you wanted to dance all night you just move over to the Aura Lounge to the disco.

The beach is amazing with calm clear turquoise water and white sand. You can walk for miles with lots of interesting restaurants and boutique hotels along the way. There are beach vendors, but they are very polite and do not bother you if you just say No Thank you.

The gym and spa across the street are amazing.

The restaurants were all different with delicious food. The best part about this hotel is the staff. They are all so happy and willing to please and accommodate you. Amazing.

All of the Couples resorts are beautiful and different with unique qualities to each of them. We love Swept Away because we love the long beach to walk, the rustic Jamaican rooms with large verandahs , and the overall character of the resort. We love getting coffee delivered to our room every morning (all the resorts have this feature), and sitting on the beautiful verandah starting off our day. If I had my way I would go back to Jamaica twice a year, but we will definitely be going back to Swept Away again.

Room Tip: If a TV is important to you pick a room with the word Verandah in it.
2  Thank turtle040
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We first stayed at CSA in 2012. We stayed there again at the end of October/ beginning of November 2013 and we like it even more. We can't wait to return. I am not sure if it was better the 2nd time because of improvement or if it had to do with the fact that our first stay started right after huricane Sandy had come through the island.

I won't try to repeat too much as so many reviews describe in detail all of the great things about this resort but I will try to highlight what was good and what people should be aware of.

When you arrive, you go to a lounge at the airport and they have beer, wine and soda. Both times, we were there for 15 minutes at most and then we were on our way to the busses. The people moving your luggage are not couples employees and you are supposed to tip them like you would any other baggage helpers at any other airport. There may be two helpers and I would suggest having your money broken down that you can tip both if necessary.

After boarding the bus, it is about an hour and fifteen minutes to the resort. The driver offered to stop at a local bar and get new drinks, but several people on the bus were trying to make it to a wedding, so we kept moving. The driver pointed out local landmarks, most of which involve the movie Cool Runnings. The drive to me goes quickly and you get to see more of the rural life of Jamaica.

The resort is a little rustic, but very well done. They intention of CSA is to try to keep it in harmony with the island. We have stayed in the Great House both times and would continue with that selection. The beach front is nice, but we like the location of the Great House. Both times we could see the ocean from our room. The rooms are again, rustic, but have everything that you could want. Be aware that some rooms do not have tv if you need that. It tells you in the description of the room types whether there is a TV or not.

The food this time was very good and sometimes excellent. Last time I would say that it was good to very good. You must try Seagrapes. Everything there is amazing. It was the first place we ate at and last place before leaving. Feathers is very nice, but you must remember the dress code. I actually prefer lobster night at Patios, though. Lemon grass is also very good, especially the soup and appetizer platter. For those who have been to couples before, there is a repeater dinner which was top notch.

Drinks are also very good. As far as beer, it is Red Stripe or Red Stripe light. There are other beers on the island and I would list that as one area I would love for this resort to change. They have daily drinks and each bartender has his or her own special. The pool bar gets a louder crowd but I had the best drinks and bar service all week from the pool bar staff.

The piano bar can be fun with the Blazing Piano (kind of a piano name that song game). The nightclub is the last place open to get drinks at night and is a fun place to people watch even if you don't want to dance yourself.

And then there is the beach. Fantastic to look at with warm and calm water to get in. There is also a bunch of watersport activities and the boat options.

Finnally there is the staff. Overall, they were very good. Clean rooms and well kept grounds because of the staff. Great meals and dining experiences are also made by the staff. A few staff members didn't work as hard or weren't as friendly as others, but generally, it all depended on how you approached them. Friendly, thankful attitudes were gennerally met with a friendly helpful attitude back.

Which leads to the last point that I would bring up. They are a staff. Just because it is all inclusive does not mean that you should treat the staff any different than you would somewhere else. Hopefully some of the behavior that I saw, is not how some people act on a daily basis. Darn near throwing a temper tantrum as a 50+ year old because a staff member was not cutting coconuts in a lighting storm seemed inapropriate. Guests talking back when a staff member trys to enforce the no smoking policy also seemed innappropriate, especially with the way that I heard them do it. In both cases the staff handled it really well. However, while many guests were laid back, I did see several instances where people seemed really pushy on the staff.

Overall, to sum it up, go to this resort. Relax and have fun and stay as long as you can because 10 days wasn't enough for us.

2  Thank HeadingToNola
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I spent the week of Thanksgiving at Coupes Swept Away on the west coast of Jamaica (Negril). This was our third trip to a Couples resort; the first two were to Couples San Souci on the north shore (Ocho Rios). As with my last review of Couples Sans Souci (April of this year)), if you require acres of marble and granite then you should go elsewhere. We really liked this place, even more than Couples Sans Souci (as we really liked Coupes Sans Souci). We had an "Atrium" room and it was terrific with a large lanai. We had a 1 minute walk to the beach - many of the rooms at the resort were right on the beach. We were fine being back a bit as it was more private. The beach is just beautiful and water is perfect. There are a nice selection of restaurants, the nicest being "Feathers" and "Lemongrass". They require reservations but this was not a problem and we ate at "Feathers" 3 times and "Lemongrass" twice. The other 2 nights we ate at "Patois" and the "Repeat Guest Dinner". We ate all of our lunches at the vegetarian/fish grill "Sea Grapes" (there are several other choices for lunch). We split breakfast between "The Palms" (buffet with omellete station) and "Patois" (plated). Overall the food was excellent, particularly "Feathers" and "Lemongrass". They have an outstanding sports area with a huge gym, lap pool, tennis courts (both clay and hardsurface), and spa - all excellent. The sports shack has Hobie Cats and a Sunfish as well as paddle boards, kayaks, etc. and snorkel trips and diving. There is large selection of bars with top shelf liquor and a terrific Martini Bar as well as nightly entertainment. Lastly, the folks working at Couples are very friendly and interesting to talk to. Overall, an excellent visit and we will be back.

3  Thank sailor_1000_13
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have vacationed in Jamaica on 3 other occasions. I am happy to say, that we have stopped our quest to find the best resort in Negril, and will be repeat guests at CSA in February 2014! Here we go ....

BEACH: The Long Bay beach has lots to offer, beautiful beach with loungers always available any time of the day. Never a dull moment if that's what you are looking for. It is a 10 min. walk to Margaritaville on the beach, lots of water sports available. From paddle boards, paddle boats, glass bottom boat, catamaran sunset cruise, to water skiing up and down the coast every day! All inclusive in your stay!

RESTAURANTS: Lemongrass & Feathers were both amazing. No problems getting reservations. We reserved once we arrived at the resort. Sea Grapes had really good veggie burgers, jerk chicken, sushi and yes the famous sweet potato fries. The one thing that was not available all week to try, was the fish tacos. Not sure if they are still serving this option. We ordered room service (fresh fruit and baked pastries) every morning on our balcony then made our way to the Patois restaurant for breakfast.

RESORT: it's about a 1.5 hour bus ride to the resort. Very rustic, not too big. Tipping included which was nice. The resort honoured my email request and upgraded us to an Atrium Suite near the beach for our anniversary. Very nice. Stocked fridge and a bottle of Appletons was always replenished if needed. On the other side of the street was the athletic club, really good smoothies, and a quiet pool area. Staff really do go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. I liked the fact you didn't have to carry money around and everything was charged to your room were you pay upon checkout.

CONCLUSION: Returning in February 2014 has repeat guests. Can't wait.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank medNorthBay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#15 of 80 in Negril
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!