“It's rating changes throughout the resort.”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Wisconsin
“It's rating changes throughout the resort.”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

First Impression: Lobby was nice and open with a view of the gardens. We were greeted with a wet towel and wine. Check in was easy and they gave us the ground floor we wanted. Our luggage was quickly taken to our room. It was pleasant. 10/10 for 1st impression!

Garden Verandah Suite: Room 1103- This room did have an old Jamaican feel to it. The room had brown tile floors, white bed linens, and flat screen. The floor had a dirty look to it. I ran a white towel to see if it was dirty and it didn't pick up any dirt. Still though, it wasn't appealing. The shower was a walk-in. No tub, three windows in shower. When you looked out it was stairs coming down from outside. The people would have had a view if we didn't close our wooden blinds. Housekeeping kept reopening them. It was awkward. We requested our mini-fridge to be refilled and they didn't do it. I had to call the front desk and it was refilled within 5 minutes. It isn't checked by housekeeping otherwise. Closet doors were crooked/ broken and our buffet door to our mini fridge wouldn't close. walkout patio is very nice. Request a ground floor so can walk right out of your room. We had a cushioned couch like thing and a cheap lawn chair and a lamp. 6/10 for rooms. They aren't the most romantic places for a honeymoon.

Grounds- The grounds are magnificent. When I say grounds I mean plants, sidewalks, sand. The buildings do look old. Again, I can't decide if it was suppose to feel old or not. The room building are all a crisp clean white. The resort buildings are this green color that look dirty. 8/10 for grounds only because some of the buildings could use some TLC.

Pools- There are 3 pools on this property. I wouldn't get in any of them. The white rim around the pool was dirty. It needed a fresh coat of paint. The water in the pool was dirty too. There was dirt, sand, and who knows what else in the bottom of the pool and settled in the corners of the pools. The ocean was cleaner in my opinion. The pools weren't kept up at all. I only saw about 5 people in them for our entire stay. This needs improvement. 1/10 for pools. They should be spotless in my opinion.

Restaurants- We ate at the buffet a lot and the menu was changed daily. It was good food. We had breakfast every day and it was good. The desserts were not my favorite. Lemongrass was just o.k. I wouldn't go back or rave about how good it was. It was one of those meals where when you were done eating you wanted to go eat somewhere else. The fish tacos were probably my favorite at the vegetable/organic stand. This was probably my favorite hut. They had endless amounts of soft served ice cream too and it was custard like. So good. I'd give the restaurants a 7/10. Their presentation was always above and beyond.

Bars: Get your drinks during the day. No huts are opened once the sun goes down. The place goes quiet. I wasn't for sure where I could go to get a late night drink at this place.

Ocean: The ocean is beautiful. The water is clear, clear, clear and the sand is a light tan. Not as white as Barbados sand. :) There are hardly any waves. They have lots of activities and lots of chairs to lounge with rafts to take into the ocean to float on. That was my favorite part. They also had beach service and handed out green flags but we didn't use it. I saw lots of people getting their own drinks and food instead of using the green flags. I wondered if they weren't getting service? 10/10 for the ocean!

Entertainment: The piano dude is pretty cool. It's more of a sing along show which is SO uncomfortable at 1st but they don't make you sing. They will come up to you and all you have to say is no and they'll keep walking. The piano guy is an awesome piano player along with the singer. You sing current and popular songs. It was fun. We were there for New Years. The resort threw a great party! Lanterns were my favorite! They have beach campfires which are super nice too. Chairs all wrapped around, blankets, beach bar, live music. They also had dancers and steel drums/other instruments in the buffet restaurant. That was interesting. I felt like the fun died fast. The entertainment was suited more for 50's and older. There were lots of younger couples who would've partied if this type of entertainment was offered. I felt like I was at a supper club some times. Also, it would have been helpful to have a board w/ the days/nights events.

Concierge- They were helpful. Got us where we needed to go. Make sure you visit Jamaica outside of this resort. This place has so much to offer. We went to Ricks' Cafe-$40 round trip (personal taxi), and Mayfield Mineral Falls ($120 personal taxi, we bartered with him), and Craft Market (about a mile walk down the beach). We wanted to eat more off site but it didn't happen.

Exercise Place- This is across the street. They have a guard to help you across . The spa and salon looked nice. The exercise place was good too. They have an outdoor track and tennis courts. Plenty to keep you entertained. Open bar and tv in the sports bar too. It was like a whole new world on this side of the resort. 8/10 only because of the dirty lap pool.

Would I revisit this resort? Probably not. My husband and I are in our late 20's and want something more upbeat. It was nice but for $2200 Monday-Saturday, my expectations were a bit higher than what was given. I understand Jamaica is not America but rooms, pools, buildings could be spiffied up a bit more. Looking at the big picture it looks very nice but when you got in and started looking at the nooks and crannies of the place I started to be disappointed.

I got a good tan and the Jamaican people are always amazing. Jamaica remains our favorite caribbean island but we will continue to look for the resort that pleases us, delivers and prepares 100% and for not such a big chunk of change. Overall resort rating 6/10

Room Tip: Ask for a floor level room. You'll appreciate being able to walk out and not have to deal with s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Natalie R
Couples Swept A... M, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Natalie thank you for your insightful comments which have been forwarded to our management team to address deficiencies in their areas. Our beach and pool bars close at 6:30pm as our guests move to the dining areas. Our Main Bar in Palms (at the buffet) opens from 10am to 11pm, our Martini Bar from 6pm to 11pm, Patois Bar 6pm to 11pm and Aura Bar where the disco is from 8pm to 2am. Our clientele varies during the year as we tend to have a younger crowd in the summer and fall and a more mature group in the winter and early spring. Finally our property by design lends itself to a more rustic Jamaican feel and the lithichrome paint that is used in many areas around our property enhances that rustic look and feel. We are glad that you enjoy Jamaica and hope that you would come again.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Great location! Highly recommend if you want to relax. Food was very good and the beach is great. Make sure to do the catamaran ride and swim into the caves. The tennis instructors are very good. Only downside is the distance from the airport as the bus ride is approx. 90 min

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jeancout7
FL Panhandle
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I made a return visit to Couples Swept Away 12/15/2013 to 12/22/2013 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This was our second stay at CSA and it was as wonderful as our first stay last year. We were excited but anxious due to some poor reviews to see the Ocean Verandah Suites now that the bathrooms have been renovated.

We booked the Club Mobay arrival service the week before our trip as we were scheduled to land on Sunday afternoon around 1:30 p.m. We arrived on time and our Club Mobay representative met us and whisked us through all the lines and we checked in at the Couples lounge in approximately 15 minutes (longest time waiting was for the luggage). We spent less than 5 minutes in the Club Mobay lounge before we were taken to our shuttle and were on our way. We had a lovely trip to the resort (approximately 1 hour 15 minutes) and we were the only couple on our shuttle, which I am sure is an exception rather than the rule. After arrival at CSA, we were greeted by Collin, whom we remembered from last year and he remembered us as well. What a beautiful smile to greet us back home. We were given sparkling wine and a cool cloth and then we proceeded in our check-in process. This went smoothly. The only delay we had was that we requested our same OVS room as last year and they were waiting for the room to be inspected before taking us to it. No problems at all. We received our Romance Rewards gifts and resort credit voucher and we were pleased that the T-shirts were the correct sizes we needed. Once our OVS was ready, Collin took us to our room and we began to settle in. The first thing I did upon getting to our room was take photos of the new bathrooms to post for other potential guests to see. Almost everything else was as I remembered from last year. I do think there were some minor cosmetic changes with lampshades, bed coverlet, curtain and verandah cushions but nothing else was renovated really other than the bathroom.

BATHROOMS: We had read there were issues with the design of the showers and that there had been a lot of flooding, lack of drainage, etc. We actually took plumbers putty and weatherstripping with us in case we had a flooding issue. There were no issues with our newly renovated shower other than some overspray from the showerhead. We learned to angle the showerhead slightly away from the shower opening and this helped prevent some of the overspray and still provided us with more than enough shower stream for bathing. We used the terrycloth shower mat right up against the metal drain and we had no problems with water flowing out of the shower at any time. We definitely enjoyed the new configuration of the shower over the tub from last year. The entire bathroom was done in white tile. The sink and toilet were also new. It is a shame that Couples did not take the renovation further and provide adequate lighting and storage for the new bathrooms. As much as I was looking forward to the bathrooms being renovated, it looks like rather than make an investment to improve the overall guest experience, the decision was made to do a very basic bathroom renovation.

FOOD: I felt the food was better this year than last year. Perhaps that was because I was willing to try more foods this time around. One of the highlights for me was the lionfish in Feathers. I will definitely schedule Feathers more than once next year. The banana stuffed French toast was wonderful in Patois. The omelet stations in the Palms were great with Romeo and Camala. Keisha, who is perhaps our favorite person at Couples, was working the waffle station on this visit since Romeo was in training for the omelet station. Monique and Ramone were excellent servers in Palms. We never had to wait for drinks in the morning or evening at Palms and this was a much better experience than last year. Seagrape’s service seems to have improved in speed and the food is very good here. The fish tacos and snapper sandwiches are wonderful and it goes without saying that the sweet potato chips and dips are wonderful. We also loved the Cabana Grill for late lunches and late night snacking but wonder what happened to the sweet potato fries that we enjoyed last year. Lemon Grass is still one of our least favorite venues although it is a lovely restaurant. The food just seems to lack authenticity and was rather bland.

BARS: My husband was eating ice cream down by the beach bar and ordered me a Dirty Banana. Omar suggested that if he wanted an awesome Dirty Banana he should bring some of the soft serve ice cream to the bar and Omar would hook him up. Dirty Bananas are awesome but Dirty Bananas with ice cream are even better. We loved Omar and Chevel and they went out of their way to make us happy. We tried the Dirty Bananas, Snake Eyes, BBCs and Hummingbirds, etc. We also went to the martini bar for the first time and Damion hooked me up with 5 or 6 different martinis that night. I think my favorite was the Key Lime martini. Great service and conversation with Damion.

A LITTLE DISAPPOINTMENT: I think we took our last catamaran cruise this visit. We had a situation that arose that was stressful. The kids that jump off the cliffs where the catamaran stops for swimming were getting too close to the boat and asking for money and one of the deckhands was continually screaming at the kids not to climb up in the boat and that he was going to *f* them up. He also was loudly discouraging guests from giving them money for their jumps and tricks. There was also open smoking of marijuana on the boat which I was surprised by. I do wish that neither of these events had happened. I did not speak to Couples about the experience since I know this is a contracted service. We will just choose not to go on this excursion again.

The Friday night beach party was a disappointment this year after being stellar last year. It seemed to be more unorganized than I remember from last year. It was very dark and I could not see what I was eating after sitting down from long buffet lines and drink service was spotty. I hope I can convince my husband that we do not need to attend this next year. I would prefer another Feathers dinner or perhaps dinner off resort over this.

FINAL IMPRESSION: The water was amazing as was the weather. The staff made the stay very special. The rooms are still very comfortable overall. Food was exceptional this visit. Drinks were strong always…sometimes too strong even. It is still a very special place to us and we are booked for next December and can’t wait to go back for our third stay. We feel our money is very well spent here.

2 Thank PanAnna
Denver, CO
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had been to Couples Swept Away in 2006 and followed that up going to Couples San Souci the following year. We liked both resorts, but it was such a hassle to travel from Denver to the Caribbean that we decided to go to Mexico instead. After 5 years going to a great resort in Mexico, we decided to do something different and go back to Jamaica and to CSA.

Having experienced the resort 7 years ago and then experiencing it this year we got to see the differences that had occurred over that time frame. There were changes and not all of them were for the better, but overall, CSA swept us away.

Couples resorts are all inclusive resorts on steroids. They not only include food, drink and non-motorized water sports, but motorized water sports as well as snorkeling, glass bottom boat tours, catamaran cruises, golf, scuba, and coaching in tennis and other sports and even include the ride from the airport to the resort.

FIRST, A LITTLE ABOUT THE RESORT ROOMS: Couples has over 300 rooms in over 40 buildings. Some buildings were the original buildings (Atrium rooms) with screens and wood shutters. They have very large porches which can be almost the same size as the room itself. They appear to be great for relaxing and watching the ocean if you are beach front. They rooms are located in two story buildings and have 3 to 4 rooms in most buildings. The other kind of rooms are newer built in the last 6-8 years and are designated as verandah suites. Their porches are large, but not as large as the Atrium rooms. These are found in three story rooms and have four rooms per floor. Again a lot of people love to sit on their porches to relax and watch the waves especially if they are in the beach front rooms. We’ve stayed in the Verandah Suites both times. This time they had newly refurbished bathrooms with an interesting concept for the shower. About 1/3 of the shower has glass and the rest is open into the rest of the bathroom. It has a drain designed to keep the water in the shower. It’s an idea that didn’t work. I don’t think they tried it with people in the shower as a lot of water bounces off you and into the main part of the bathroom. So you end up at the end of a shower drying off and throwing the towel on the floor so you don’t slip. The rooms are large with brown woods and white linens. They are very well kept with maid service daily as well as turndown service each night. We generally get the lowest cost room and stay longer. We did that at CSA and will do it in the future there as well, but if I were going to go to a higher level room, CSA might be where I would do it to get a beach front room. You really can’t get closer to the water than at CSA with the beach front rooms.

SECOND, LET’S LOOK AT THE FOOD. CSA has good food, but limited choices. There are four main restaurants, a vegetarian restaurant and a snack bar. Not being a vegan, I won’t review the vegetarian restaurant and a snack bar is a snack bar. Two of the four other restaurants require reservations (Feathers and Lemon Grass). Palms is a buffet style restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and requires no reservations. Patois Patios is an order off the menu restaurant also open for BLD and requires no reservations.

Feathers is the most highbrow of the restaurants and we ate there three times. When we were there 7 years ago, Feathers was located across the street by the athletic facilities and we remember it as wonderful. The open air style was really nice and they had live music (cello, harp, etc.) made it seem elegant. The new Feathers is in the Great House which is by the rooms on the south end of the resort. It is air conditioned which would be a great thing in the hottest time of the year, but it seemed to have lost its elegance to us. The food was the best there, but I did miss the old Feathers.

Lemon Grass was my wife’s favorite. It is outdoors upstairs above the Palms buffet. It really is lovely and overlooks into the Palms and the stage or overlooking the ocean, the beach and the buildings on the north side of the resort. We really liked the patio portion of the restaurant with tiki-torches lighting up the tables. The food is Asian and has choices of meats and sauces that the meats are cooked in. My wife was looking forward to the green curry. You choose the meat you want, the sauce you want and the spices you want (mild, hot and hold the door). One of the guests recommended a dessert they had at the Lemon Grass called Chocolate Chili. We probably wouldn’t have ordered it if he hadn’t, but you taste this very chocolate brownie and all of a sudden WOW – the hot hits.

Patois Patios was not there seven years ago, but is a great addition. It actually is probably the prettiest venue they have at CSA. The food was good for dinner as was the service, but we found the service to be marginal at breakfast and lunch. The repeaters dinner is there on Monday night (so Patois is closed to those not going to the dinner) and it was fantastic with surf and turf.

We ate at Palms for Breakfast and Lunch, but not dinner.

The biggest shortcoming of the food at CSA was not the quality, but the variety. Generally they have four entrees at each restaurant. Upping that number to six would make a big improvement in my opinion.

THIRD… THE BEACH. The beach is the crown jewel of CSA. It’s gorgeous. I remembered how nice the beach was intellectually, but forgot a lot of the specifics. First the beach seemed to be deeper than it was 7 years ago. Second, although I remembered the beach didn’t get hot and burn your feet, I had forgotten how soft the sand was. It’s like walking through powdered sugar. CSA and the Beaches Resort next door to it have the best beaches I’ve ever seen. There are plenty of chairs and a good amount of shade next to the walkway that spans the beach.

There are two bars on the beach and one very close by the main pool. The have flag service which we only used one time.

One of the things I forgot about was the bees. There are lots of bees that are attracted to the sweet syrup in many of the drinks so you find them at the bars and when you have a drink on the beach you may also have a visit from them there. I know CSA tells their bartenders not to fill cups the guests bring with them, but while we were there they were. Actually a cup with a cover would be a good idea to keep the bees from buzzing your drink. I’d suggest CSA sell a cup with their logo, etc. and allow the bartenders to fill them.

Saving seats on the beach is forbidden before 6 AM. The guards and employees are instructed to pick up towels etc. that are left on the chairs before that time. This is another rule that is sometimes enforced and sometimes isn’t. It seems reasonable and they should probably try to enforce it.

FOURTH, THE STEROIDS. I mentioned that I call Couples an AI on steroids. We don’t golf or scuba dive but took advantage of a lot of the other things you could do. We went on the glass bottom boat tour (worth your while) and snorkeling where we went to the Mexico area of the bay and saw an old cannon and anchor on the bottom of the sea. We did see a couple of Sting Rays, but not as many as the last time we were there.

The catamaran cruise (aka as the booze cruise) is a lot of fun but varies by the people on the boat. We went a couple of times and one time it was singing and dancing on the way back while the other time it was more subdued. You go out to a spot near the cliffs where there are kids diving and asking for money and you can swim into a cave by the shore. The catamarans have a sliding board with is fun to use to get into the water (although you need to go in first to get wet so you slide well). When we came back, we got some of the best sunset photos ever. It really was beautiful.

Other activities you can do include Hobie Cat sailing, wind surfing, water skiing, kayaking, tennis, racquetball, etc. You can get lessons in almost any of these so if you want to learn a new skill or get better in one, it’s all there for you.

FIFTH ENTERTAINMENT. We really enjoyed the Xmas even cocktail party with the staff singing Christmas carols. There was good entertainment most nights and we really enjoyed the piano bar in the great house. Ultimate Chocolate and his singer were both outstanding! (they perform from 9-11 about five nights a week).

SUGGESTIONS. One problem we see at most resorts in the Caribbean is the cigar smoker. Somehow these people think that they are on vacation and they have the right to stink up the beach, the catamaran, etc. and if you don’t like it, “tough” because they do. A little courtesy on their part would go a long way.

On one of the Catamaran cruises, we were blasted by the smell of a cigar. I finally found the source and two twenty somethings were on the bow with their legs of the edge of the boat smoking their cigars. Now I assume they liked that location so they would get the fresh sea breeze in their face, but didn’t think about how everyone behind them was getting smelly sea breeze in their face. Anyone with a cigar on this kind of cruise should go to the stern of the boat where they won’t bother anyone else. Have some common courtesy.

We had another person on the beach who we called cigar man. I never saw him without a cigar either in his hand or mouth. I figure he must have gone to his verandah first thing in the morning and lit up a cigar. Every so often when the wind was blowing our way we would smell the stench he was sucking down into his lungs. Again, if you are one of these people, have some common courtesy.

I started off by saying the reason we hadn’t been back in so long to CSA was because of the hassle it was to get there from Denver. After this trip all we can say and what I named this review is, “it’s worth it.” We highly recommend CSA.

10 Thank goodspkr
Couples Swept A... M, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and we are glad that you were able to return after 7 years! We are happy that you were able to do so much and that you had a wonderful time, our staff really do take pride in their work and try to deliver the best service possible so that your vacation is memorable. We will certainly look at your comments/suggestions and hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again and welcome you home to Couples Swept Away.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We recently spent a week here. If you are a beach lover, none better. Beach is long, great for walking,with warm water for swimming as much as you want. Water sports available. Many lounge chairs, towels as needed, great bar service. All positive. However, property needs a facelift ( modernizing, painting etc.) water pressure in the shower quite minimal. Soap offered once. Had to ask for a small second bar. Body cream bolted to wall( was that really necessary) etc. the gorgeous beach allowed us to forgive many small things and we did relax . entertainment was first rate. Meals were good with many options. Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: The property is quite lush and beautiful so I don't think a bad location really exists. Wish at...
3 Thank arlenes44
Couples Swept A... M, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you spent Christmas with us as we were more than happy to have you. We are going through a phased renovation which has started with the rooms, our amenities should be replaced as they are used so I am sorry that your attendant did not replace your soap accordingly and the lotion being put in a holder that is attached to the wall was only to match the body wash and shampoo/conditioner that is also attached to the wall in the shower.
Our friendly staff and good food along with our excellent beach and activities are the reasons why we have such a large following of repeat guests and we hope that you will one day be among them.
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Fine stay until they wouldn't take us back to the airport without paying another $60 even though the "all inclusive" includes round trip. Before you book, get them to send you an email specifying the return trip is included because management is in on the scam (they know you have no other options once you're there).

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank A16ross
We are not sure what were your circumstances as all oversees bookings have transfers from and to the airport included. Where it would not apply is if you checked out and instead of leaving for the airport you opted to stay somewhere else for a night or two and then try to come back and get our transportation to the airport. Because of insurance regulations we can only transport guests who have just checked out, any one else would have to be a paying passenger. We also do not provide this 'included' transfer for anyone who has booked as a resident at our local rate.
Good to see however that you enjoyed your stay, please come back again.
Lake Barrington
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We just returned last night from our second visit to Couples Swept Away. This vacation exceeded the last! Everything was perfect...room on the beach, employees, food, dinner on the beach, beach bar, etc. We can't wait to go back next year!!! The only bummer was coming home to 8 inches of snow!

Room Tip: We've only stayed on the beach. It's worth every penny!
2 Thank Peaker_11
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Peaker_11,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay.

Great to know you enjoyed your time with us and we were able to exceed your expectations. Our paradise island of Jamaica welcomes you anytime and we hope that you will try to stay as warm as you can until your next visit with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!