First Impression: Lobby was nice and open with a view of the gardens. We were greeted with a wet towel and wine. Check in was easy and they gave us the ground floor we wanted. Our luggage was quickly taken to our room. It was pleasant. 10/10 for 1st impression!
Garden Verandah Suite: Room 1103- This room did have an old Jamaican feel to it. The room had brown tile floors, white bed linens, and flat screen. The floor had a dirty look to it. I ran a white towel to see if it was dirty and it didn't pick up any dirt. Still though, it wasn't appealing. The shower was a walk-in. No tub, three windows in shower. When you looked out it was stairs coming down from outside. The people would have had a view if we didn't close our wooden blinds. Housekeeping kept reopening them. It was awkward. We requested our mini-fridge to be refilled and they didn't do it. I had to call the front desk and it was refilled within 5 minutes. It isn't checked by housekeeping otherwise. Closet doors were crooked/ broken and our buffet door to our mini fridge wouldn't close. walkout patio is very nice. Request a ground floor so can walk right out of your room. We had a cushioned couch like thing and a cheap lawn chair and a lamp. 6/10 for rooms. They aren't the most romantic places for a honeymoon.
Grounds- The grounds are magnificent. When I say grounds I mean plants, sidewalks, sand. The buildings do look old. Again, I can't decide if it was suppose to feel old or not. The room building are all a crisp clean white. The resort buildings are this green color that look dirty. 8/10 for grounds only because some of the buildings could use some TLC.
Pools- There are 3 pools on this property. I wouldn't get in any of them. The white rim around the pool was dirty. It needed a fresh coat of paint. The water in the pool was dirty too. There was dirt, sand, and who knows what else in the bottom of the pool and settled in the corners of the pools. The ocean was cleaner in my opinion. The pools weren't kept up at all. I only saw about 5 people in them for our entire stay. This needs improvement. 1/10 for pools. They should be spotless in my opinion.
Restaurants- We ate at the buffet a lot and the menu was changed daily. It was good food. We had breakfast every day and it was good. The desserts were not my favorite. Lemongrass was just o.k. I wouldn't go back or rave about how good it was. It was one of those meals where when you were done eating you wanted to go eat somewhere else. The fish tacos were probably my favorite at the vegetable/organic stand. This was probably my favorite hut. They had endless amounts of soft served ice cream too and it was custard like. So good. I'd give the restaurants a 7/10. Their presentation was always above and beyond.
Bars: Get your drinks during the day. No huts are opened once the sun goes down. The place goes quiet. I wasn't for sure where I could go to get a late night drink at this place.
Ocean: The ocean is beautiful. The water is clear, clear, clear and the sand is a light tan. Not as white as Barbados sand. :) There are hardly any waves. They have lots of activities and lots of chairs to lounge with rafts to take into the ocean to float on. That was my favorite part. They also had beach service and handed out green flags but we didn't use it. I saw lots of people getting their own drinks and food instead of using the green flags. I wondered if they weren't getting service? 10/10 for the ocean!
Entertainment: The piano dude is pretty cool. It's more of a sing along show which is SO uncomfortable at 1st but they don't make you sing. They will come up to you and all you have to say is no and they'll keep walking. The piano guy is an awesome piano player along with the singer. You sing current and popular songs. It was fun. We were there for New Years. The resort threw a great party! Lanterns were my favorite! They have beach campfires which are super nice too. Chairs all wrapped around, blankets, beach bar, live music. They also had dancers and steel drums/other instruments in the buffet restaurant. That was interesting. I felt like the fun died fast. The entertainment was suited more for 50's and older. There were lots of younger couples who would've partied if this type of entertainment was offered. I felt like I was at a supper club some times. Also, it would have been helpful to have a board w/ the days/nights events.
Concierge- They were helpful. Got us where we needed to go. Make sure you visit Jamaica outside of this resort. This place has so much to offer. We went to Ricks' Cafe-$40 round trip (personal taxi), and Mayfield Mineral Falls ($120 personal taxi, we bartered with him), and Craft Market (about a mile walk down the beach). We wanted to eat more off site but it didn't happen.
Exercise Place- This is across the street. They have a guard to help you across . The spa and salon looked nice. The exercise place was good too. They have an outdoor track and tennis courts. Plenty to keep you entertained. Open bar and tv in the sports bar too. It was like a whole new world on this side of the resort. 8/10 only because of the dirty lap pool.
Would I revisit this resort? Probably not. My husband and I are in our late 20's and want something more upbeat. It was nice but for $2200 Monday-Saturday, my expectations were a bit higher than what was given. I understand Jamaica is not America but rooms, pools, buildings could be spiffied up a bit more. Looking at the big picture it looks very nice but when you got in and started looking at the nooks and crannies of the place I started to be disappointed.
I got a good tan and the Jamaican people are always amazing. Jamaica remains our favorite caribbean island but we will continue to look for the resort that pleases us, delivers and prepares 100% and for not such a big chunk of change. Overall resort rating 6/10
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immediately upon entering Couples Swept Away, you realize that you have arrived in paradise. Exotic flowers bloom amidst acres of green—on seven miles of the purest white sand beach in Negril, Jamaica. Dotted among the tropical gardens—open-air cafes, small pool enclaves and fresh fruit oases are yours to discover. Never crowded or hurried, the resort offers an intimate tranquility and when desired, total seclusion. All rooms embrace a quiet elegance with island cedar furnishings and pure white linens. Plantation shutters open onto private verandahs with views of gardens and azure sea. Breezy open-air restaurants engage candle-lit lanterns and billowing white curtains to strike a romantic note. While the pristine 10-acre sports complex encompasses every imaginable activity, the superb spa serves as a haven of relaxation. Couples Swept Away simply captures your heart and soothes your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Couples Swept Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Hotel Negril
- Jamaica Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Resort
- Negril Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Jamaica
- Couples Negril