“awesome bang for your buck! beautiful beaches!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“awesome bang for your buck! beautiful beaches!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just got back from a week at Couples Swept Away, loved it! Went with husband and another couple, will definitely recommend to others. Resort is about an hour from airport in Montego Bay but shuttle ride is pretty interesting glimpse of Jamaica outside the tourist areas. Food was well above expectations for an all inclusive. Lots of variety (fish tacos at beach side café are banggin!) Thai restaurant also really good! They offer a shuttle to a cliff/ocean front restaurant called Pushcart, it was great, stunning views, perfect for watching sunsets. Water sport guys are a wealth of information, TALK TO THEM! Rooms were really nice, we stayed in the Garden Suites, the least expensive but loved them, they are set back a bit from the beach but nestled in really lush gardens, we didn't see any need to upgrade to more expensive rooms. Porches off rooms were soooooo nice, loved sitting out in the mornings to enjoy our room delivered coffee and fresh fruit. One piece of advise...bring your bug spray, that isn't a knock on the resort, just a necessity for that part of the world. We had to buy a bottle of spray from resort and it was 15 bucks, steep but invaluable! Spa was one of my favorite parts, went back for 2 massages, steam room with twinkling "night lit sky" a really nice touch. Great work out facilities too. Overall a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Basic rooms are great, we didn't see a need to upgrade...ocean front had more foot traffic and l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We are completing our 3rd extended stay at CSA, and we are likely to return. We first stayed at CSA in 2007. Our daughter came on our recommendation for her honeymoon four years ago and had a nice time.

Why This Is A Favorite

We absolutely love the beautiful white beach and our accommodations have always been nice. This is not a high rise on a carefully engineered Mexican beach. Rather, it is a series of buildings set in a wonderfully maintained natural setting.

The rooms are comfortable. Some are more Jamaican rustic than others. I believe all are air conditioned. Our room has a private balcony facing the ocean. Others have hammocks and less privacy. Although we have stayed in one of the more modern areas of the property, I really don't know of a bad room on the property.

This is an all inclusive resort catering to couples only. That eliminates many of the games and noise associated with resorts catering to singles and children. This is a really nice place to get away. Knowing the cost up front is nice.

The beach has never been crowded, but we tend to travel in the off season. We can generally grab a catamaran when ever we wish and run the beach. There is a sports complex with an Olympic lap pool, tennis courts, and racquetball courts. The waterfront includes a variety of watercraft, swimming, and snorkeling/diving excursions.

There are two pools on the main resort property, one with a poolside bar. There are two bars along the beach. There are a number of other bars on the property. The food possibilities are diverse. Nightlife possibilities are likewise diverse.

Our Concerns

This property is a real study in contrasts. On one hand there is an exquisite beach that is hand raked daily. On the other hand there are badly deteriorating tile roofs in dire need of repair. The computer business center was repainted one evening, but the pool area appears to be neglected. We do see signs of renovation occurring.

There are exceptional individuals working at CSA, contrasted by many who are just going through the motions. We have really enjoyed a number of the hotel employees we have met. We have not had one totally negative experience. Again, the lack of consistency is apparent.

Our booking was completed months in advance. It took repeated calls to figure out why we weren't receiving follow up confirmation emails. At check in it was clear the booking was still not correct. Online we were asked if there was a special occasion or if we were repeat guests. There was, and we were. Yet, this was missed.

Unlike previous visits, this one has been just a bit off. Check in was not as warm. Our keys weren't coded, but this resolved fairly quickly. Our mini fridge requests for water and diet soda were missed. A broken shower control was fixed promptly.

Reservations for a number of activities are handled through a concierge desk. One young lady serving as a concierge would be better suited as an attendance clerk at your child's middle school. The lack of warmth or hospitality is in stark contrast to many of the other hotel staff, including others working at this desk.

As in the past we experienced a warm welcoming from the members of the hotel staff. As in the past, we did receive exceptional service from a number of the bartenders and wait staff. Marvin and Dwight, although very different, both provided excellent service. We looked forward to visiting with Tracey Ann while she prepared omelets for us each morning.

Unlike the past, it was a bit of hit or miss. It isn't clear if this is due to a lack of training, excessive turnover, or factors unknown to us. Through our efforts to engage we were able to engage with a number the staff. It just seemed to be a bit more effort this time.

The two more upscale restaurants, Feathers and Lemongrass, remain exceptional. Fresh red snapper at the beachside restaurant, the Seagrape, continues to be a lunchtime favorite. Nights listening to Ultimate Chocolate at his piano while he delivers a fun night to his diverse guests will always be a favorite.

A manager's reception and dinner are available to returning guests. The previous general manager went table to table to seek input from the guests. That didn't occur this time and seemed like a lost opportunity.

On previous visits we always looked forward to returning as soon as possible. This time we aren't so sure. We have viewed CSA as a home away from home. The staff has always gone out of its way to make our stay most pleasant.

If we were first time visitors, we possibly wouldn't have noticed the chinks in the armor. The young honeymooners didn't seem to notice. Most of the guests seem to be having a wonderful stay, although we did hear more complaints this time. This is in sharp contrast to the past.

When reading reviews of others, I generally discount reviews of glowing perfection or extreme negativity. My hope is this review will be helpful to others in making their selection of a Negril hotel or resort.

CSA is an old friend. We will consider returning, but may consider other options in Negril.

Stayed June 2014
18 Thank Cary W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at couples for 7 nights. Pick up from the airport was fine we were the only 2 on the bus do it was like a private transfer. Arrived and were greeted with cold facecloth sand champagne. Check in was quick and were soon in our room garden verandah room. Room is rustic Caribbean style. We loved ours with the high pitched wooden ceiling and window shutters. The beach is the nicest I have ever seen the water is clear calm and warm perfect for using the floaties from your lounger. There are vendors going up and down the beach but don't really bother you. Food is great our favourite was Patios for breakfast lunch and dinner. There are loads of water sports included, book the catamaran cruise it's good fun. Staff are very friendly and helpful nothing is a problem. The highlight of the week was the One Love bus your with Lenbert it's a must do!
If I go back to negril this is were I will stay again

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Madmonkey71
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Just came home from a week at this resort. The people are amazing, the food was spectacular, always something to do. The beaches are so clean and peaceful. If your looking for a great getaway they should be on your short list.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael M
virginia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Let me start by saying we have been to Negril several times but this was our first stay at CSA.

LOVED:
The beach is on the wide section of 7 mile and as such you never feel crowded like at some other resorts.
I loved the floats as the water is so calm you can just relax and float around. Always enough on the chairs for everyone and the resort was at capacity when we were there.
I am a bit of a foodie and have to say I enjoyed all the food. Yes even the buffets and I don't do buffets. The Jamaican night was really good. Wish they had Ackee & Saltfish each day.
Trying out the Paddleboard, but it was harder than it looked.
Relaxed vibe of the resort
Rustic, Caribbean feel of the room.
Large patio with great seating
Appleton Rum served and Ting
The new bathroom with the rainshower
Entertainment staff was fun
The ride to the resort from MBJ - love seeing all the locals and the towns you pass thru
Stocked frig and Appleton Rum in room

Not my favorite:
We aren't pool people but did go to the swimup pool bar a few times and there was always a smell from the bar and not in a good way.
One of the beach flag servers (female) really needs to find a new job or be in a position not interacting with people. I thought she was just having a bad day but she was like that on several occasions.
The security guard called a cab for us one night to go to 3 Dives up on the cliffs. Must have been his "friend" I guess the guy didn't know we knew what the real cost should be. It was 3 times higher than what it should have been.

If this is your first time to Negril, yes you can leave the property and yes it is safe. Go to Rick's Cafe. Yes a tourist place but wow what a cool thing to watch the divers. We didn't do the Catamaran but it looks like great fun! The Craft market is fun to experience if you want to buy local wares but Times Square has better t-shirts, etc.If you get a chance go to Mayfield Falls it is great.

We usually book the Oceanfront type of rooms but they were sold out so we were in a Garden View. Honestly it was wonderful, no complaints from me. It was very peaceful and relaxing. We were on the first floor and loved the ease of coming and going through the back patio. If you ask the reception will provide a key for the patio door so you don't have to use the key card at the front door. Like others have said if you want glitzy rooms this isn't the place for you.

This is my favorite all inclusive in Negril for so many reasons. I think CSA does a great job providing an excellent, Jamaican property.

Once you go, you know...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tikihutmom
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent an amazing 2 weeks at CSA in July 2012. There are a few things you need to know to make this trip a success. 1st, you are there to relax. 2nd, the rooms are designed to be rustic Jamaican. If you are looking for glitz and glam, go elsewhere. If you are looking for the best staff, beach, experience then this is the place to be.

The restaurants are all great. We don't prefer buffets so we usually don't do Palms, but it is a great buffet if that is your style. Patois is an awesome place for all meals. Start the day with Banana Stuffed French Toast, enjoy amazing pizza for lunch and then awesome dinner offerings each night. Feathers is a great place to dress of with your SO and enjoy a night of fine dining. Yes you have to dress us, but that's part of the appeal. If you don't want to dress up, no worries, go to one of the other offerings. Probably our least favorite has been Lemongrass, not bad, just not as great as the others.

The beach is why you go to CSA. Imagine in your mind that perfect postcard beach during the day, followed by the best sunset in the evening. You are imagining the beach as CSA. They have plenty of loungers/floaters for all to use. Float in the ocean, relax and enjoy a book. Or if you prefer more activity check out the watersports: kayaks, Hobiecat, windsurfing, paddle board, water ski, snorkeling, scuba diving. And by the way all of that is included in your stay. Want some sports time? Head across the street to the spa and sports complex for tennis, a lap pool, gym, yoga etc.

The spa services are out of this world. They give a great massage and offer some interesting body treatments. My personal favorite is to have a massage done on the balcony of your room overlooking the ocean. Enjoy the sound of the waves as your drift in and out of consciousness.

The staff are very personable and go out of their way to make your stay great. Yes there may be one or two during your stay that aren't having a great day, but who can be in the best mood every day of their life (although I think I might if I worked at CSA every day). Take the time to chat them up. Show them you really care about their culture and lifestyle. The staff here are not allowed to take tips and can actually loose their job (a highly coveted one on the island) if they accept any tip. If you enjoy a staff member you simply mention their name and service experience on your exit survey. These survey's are used to give rewards to employees that go the extra mile.

The rooms here are amazing in my opinion. Again, it is rustic Jamaican, but that is what we love. We open the shutters hear the tree frogs and ocean. It is the most romantic place we have ever been and can imagine.

Overall this is the best beach resort we can image and our looking forward to our 3rd trip in just under 2 months.

Room Tip: If you want to really experience the Jamaican beach, get an atrium style room. You can open the shu...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KevinRies
Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Sorry this is a bit long but we just got back from 6 days at CSA and after reading HUNDREDS of reviews before we left, I wanted to make sure and post about our experience for others who may be looking for advice. I hope it’s helpful! Also, feel free to contact me for any more info or anything I may have left out. We visited from Sat, May 3 – Friday May 9.

We chose this resort because we wanted romance and couples only. We did not want a non-stop party atmosphere and we wanted a gorgeous beach.

First and foremost – Room Choice: DON’T FRET ABOUT YOUR ROOM! As MANY people have posted before me, YOU CANNOT go wrong w/ any room at CSA (from what we experienced). We asked for a 3rd floor ocean view and we got a first floor Ocean View – it was fantastic! We were located RIGHT next to Patois and the pool / bar / grill – it can get a bit noisy during the day and into the evenings. I am a person who NEEDS peace and quiet to relax so I thought this would bother me. The few times I felt annoyed about it, I told myself I’m on vacation and need to just relax my way and let others relax their way. It was usually pretty quiet by 10pm or so and though we are very early risers and early to bed, we did not have a problem sleeping - except for one night when there was some kind of party going on. I bring ear plugs with me when I vacation just for that purpose so I popped them in and I was totally fine. Our room was small’ish, but clean and the bathroom had a nice shower, lighted mirror, etc – the balcony was nice and spacious too. We were only about 100 yards from the beach so upgrading to a room right on the beach would not be worth it for us. We were located on the other end as the Palms and the Lobby so if it matters to you to be more central for getting around, you may want to ask your TA about that. Again, pick a room and go with it, you’ll love what you get. Bring Z-Quil or earplugs in case you need them (road noise, tree frogs, late night partiers), my guess is, you won’t need them.

We did not choose Club MoBay on the way down (this, after MUCH DELIBERATION!) We got in on a Saturday, the wait was about 1 hour and at first I kicked myself when I saw all these other folks going to the front of the line, but you’re in Jamaica, just chill and relax, you’ll get there! (Just as a side note, we DID purchase Mobay on the way out “just in case” and the non MoBay people got thru the line just as quickly as we did
- but it was nice for peace of mind. Again, either way, you won’t be disappointed whether you choose it or not. Go w/ your gut.

As far as staff friendliness, the reviews I read that said some staff are SO WONDERFUL and some are just ok and some act as if they do not want to be there is spot on. I think this would be true no matter where you travel. We were just kind to everyone and we got a lot of nice back. In my opinion, the people of Jamaica are warm, welcoming and sweet. It’s normally the culture there. Things do move at a slower pace, you will want to remember this DAY 1 so you don’t get yourself all worked up when your food doesn’t arrive immediately or it takes a while for someone to take your drink order. Go with it.
The beach vendors, for my husband especially were pretty annoying for the first couple of days. Until we figured out they can’t go in the water and they can’t venture into the seating area of the beach. If you’re walking along the beach, chances are, you’ll be approached several times. We were always very polite but my advice, don’t engage and don’t stop to chat (our mistake). You want to be nice and respectful, but they will keep you talking for a very long time. Just a “no thanks, not today” is all you should give them. I did buy some bracelets and a wood carving from a couple of vendors and got to actually want to talk w/ them on the beach when I saw them. They are interesting and fun; but just know this is an unavoidable part of this vacation and you’ll be good to go.
Restaurants: We really liked Lemongrass and it was worth making reservations for. We are not big Thai eaters; but wanted to “try everything” and we’re glad we did. I would NOT bother w/ Feathers – the staff was NOT friendly and the food was nothing to write home about (and it smells strange in there, musty or something). Maybe we got an off night, but for the effort of dressing up, I was hoping it would be a really great experience. This was probably the only downer of our trip. The Palms is always good. Usually a buffet which can get kind of old, but it was convenient and just nice to hang out there. We did not try Seagrapes though I wish we had, the timing just never worked out. We did try the Grill twice and the food is ok – nothing great, but when you just want jerk chicken and onion rings, it’s ok. Our favorite though was Patois – we feel we got the best service there (Monique and Eureka were our faves). They have a nice little bar and the food and service are great – plus it was right next to our room, so….

Excursions: We were there celebrating our 20th anniversary and my college graduation so we wanted to do some special stuff. We booked the Swim w/ the Dolphins at Dolphin Cove (see Jackie at the tour desk, she’s awesome!) The excursion was fun, not my IDEAL bucket list “swim w/ the dolphins” but I can say I did it and did enjoy myself. We also did the Negril Shopping Trip – THIS WAS NOT WORTH IT AT ALL! Don’t waste your time. They drive you to a “mall” which is basically 4 jewelry stores and 5 souvenir shops – all the stuff you can find from the beach vendors at the hotel. Our entire shuttle group said it was a huge waste and they wish they would not have gone. The one excursion I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND (and I know it’s pricey people) but I cannot stress enough, The PRIVATE SUNSET CATAMARAN cruise was AMAZING. THE best, most romantic and fun thing I could’ve ever hoped to enjoy on this trip! This is booked thru the concierge and the captain of the boat is with Couples. (I am at a loss for his name) but he and the Dive Master take you out on the boat for 2 hours. Up the entire coast, stopping at this place and that for photos, snorkeling, whatever you want to do – it’s your trip. Then the way back, you’ll get champagne, he’ll take photos of you and your honey with the sunset. My hubby and I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed this part of our trip. Something we’ll always remember! Also, we boarded our private boat the same time as EVERYONE ELSE boarded the crowded, hot, (free) catamaran. I’m sure it was fun – I’ve heard it’s a great time – but it’s a booze cruise and just not our style. Loved it!

The other things worth mentioning, you’ll see a few resident beach dogs and cats – I loved them, they made me miss my pups a little less. Floaties for the ocean are SO AWESOME, take advantage of those and float around in the beautiful, pristine teal blue water.
I planned this trip forever ago and seriously worried myself to the point of ridiculousness ahead of time about did I book the right room, pack the right stuff, bring enough shoes, etc. Don't worry -- go with your gut, get the stuff you need to planned and the rest will fall into place. This will give you more time to just look forward to your trip. We didn't plan anything in advance, we just waited til we arrived, got a feel for everything, then planned what we wanted to do. Space it out, don't cram too much in and leave the day before you leave completely open to relax.

Above all, enjoy, relax, have fun and enjoy Jamaica – One Love! It was our first trip but MOST DEFINITELY will not be our last! The most difficult choice for next time is - back to CSA or try another resort in Jamaica!

Room Tip: YOU CANNOT go wrong with any room choice! Dont stress about this!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Riplee04
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!