“Awesome Vacation!!!!!”

Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Escanaba, Michigan
“Awesome Vacation!!!!!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked this last minute when what we planned to do fell through. We tried the Secret Rendezvous special. We did not know what Jamaica Couples we would get until 7 days prior to leaving and did not know what room we would get. I did not expect much because of this but, WOW! The service was Awesome! The staff was wonderfully helpful. The food was excellent! Our room was beautiful! We got Couples Swept Away and the beach is WONDERFUL! We went on the sunset catamaran cruise. It is a blast! It down poured as we were leaving so we didn't expect much but it cleared as we reached the cliffs so we went swimming into the caves and partied on the boat. The crew was GREAT! We also went snorkeling and on the glass bottom boat tour. Both of which are hosted by Julien and Travis. What awesome young men! They made our vacation! We went snorkeling with them twice and on the glass bottom boat tour once. The guys were so informative, helpful and FUN! As busy as they must be, Julien even remembered us and talked to us later on the beach. Thanks Guys!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a garden veranda room and it was very peaceful. We took the advice of another Trip Advisor a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Angelique L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,426)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Last year, I got married at couples swept away resort. The ceremony was perfect, but there was a lot about this trip that wasn't. Before arriving in Jamaica, I took the time to call the spa to pre-book my services. I was put on hold 3 times and I was forced to book my hair and make up services only an hour before my ceremony. So the morning of my wedding, I went in early to ask if they could begin, which they did. They also told me that I was misinformed about being booked so late in the day, that I could have been booked a whole hour and a half earlier. The woman who did my hair at the spa did not make the experience pleasant. I was not happy with my hair on my wedding day. Had a couples massage on another day which was great. The spa bar had wonderful employees and drinks.

After one too many COCKROACH incidents in our room, my husband and I decided to put in a room change request. This was all very stressful, since this all happened the day before our wedding, and the hotel needed quite a bit of convincing before obliging to help. In the same room, our safe broke, and in our new room, the phone was broken. We made a request to have it changed, but no one came. The new room was beautiful, on the third floor, in a quieter spot of the resort. The last room was on the ground floor by the beach, which was not private and was in a traffic area. I'm not quite sure why they would think this would be a good idea for a couple who requested privacy.

Staff is either very pleasant or rude and unhappy. It always seemed to be a sharp one or the other. Had our rehearsal dinner at Feathers, which was highly enjoyed, but was never able to go back due to their fully booked schedule. My husband and I wanted to have our reception dinner at either the Palms or Lemongrass, but they refused to accommodate us. When we arrived for dinner at the Patois, I wasn't pleased that they had set our table in a busy spot right by the kitchen. There was a gorgeous long table with a bench in a quiet spot, and they kindly obliged that we move there when I requested this. One thing I will never forget; being interrupted as I gave my dinner speech to my small group of wedding guests, by a waitress asking me to hand her my empty plate and dinnerware.

Our wedding planner was very accommodating, especially when my husband and I changed our minds last minute to get married in the garden instead of the beach. I adored getting married in that garden, but getting married on the beach was part of my dream, and couples swept away did not make that option to be desired. The beach ceremony area is NOT private at all. As I watched a ceremony taking place a few days before mine, right in the middle of a traffic area for guests, I could see old men in their speedos only to be sitting 3 feet away, drinking their beer, so close to the archway, they almost seemed to be a part of the wedding. A good portion of Swept Away guests are couples getting married at their resort. Why they wouldn't fence off a more private beach area for their ceremonies is beyond me. We had mentioned that this is why we were making the switch, and they never offered us a more private area (that would have been wonderful!).

Our wedding planner was wonderful. She took the time to meet with us, was very available to us, and attended our ceremony. She came to meet me at my room before the ceremony, and escorted me to the garden. My husband and I hired an officiant since we strictly wanted an atheistic wedding, since we had noticed that in all the resorts' related youtube posts had the same officiant using religious terms. The day of my wedding I was sick with a very bad head cold. Affordable medicine was available to me in the gift shop. The reason I caught this cold was due to visiting the piano bar at the resort with some of my wedding guests that had arrived, and the air conditioning was turned up extremely high (at one point, my guests and I had to sit outside to warm up, away from the party inside). Unfortunately, I can't say that it was worth it, the entertainers didn't leave much for the liking, and attracted a scarce crowd that night. Stick to the live entertainment at Lemongrass...

To end this on a good note, the sunset dinner on the beach (wonderful service) as well as the romantic bonfire (amazing live acoustic guitar talent), were both magical nights that I will cherish and remember forever. The photographer was fantastic, which meant a lot to me since I am a photographer by trade.

Room Tip: Ask for something above ground floor to keep away from bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank SiamesePrincess
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear SiamesePrincess,

Belated congratulations. Thank you for choosing Couples Swept Away as your wedding destination. We were happy to learn your ceremony was memorable. However, it was unsettling to hear about the unfortunate series of events around that which affected your overall experience. Due to the time-lapse between your stay and review, Couples Resorts will not be able to make any immediate inquiries. Nevertheless, all of your comments have been noted for future reference.

Abraham Issa
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The reviews are consistently good so I am holding out hope that day one is an anomaly. But it is now our second attempt at dinner, been waiting 20 minutes for a server to say hello. For that matter, been here since 3pm today and guess how many people who work here have said hello first? Zero. Right now the one word staff answer epidemic is showing no signs of subsiding. Pools are dated. Concrete needs power wash of all power washes and I really just want someone to be friendly and helpful. I'll settle for just one. Tell me why I should request a transfer to CN?

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Michael F
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This morning I got to the beach at 6:30. Every palapa on the beach is being saved with either beach towels, books, sunglasses etc. it is now 7:20 and I am the only person on the beach. According to Joel Nesbeth security on the beach, policy states that one must arrive at the beach by 5:30-6:00AM to secure a palapa. I spoke to one guest who evidently did that, but he stated that he wasn't coming down to the beach until 8:00 or 8:30.
This is our 2nd all-inclusive vacation. Our 1st was to Secrets Maroma Beach in Mexico, a much nicer property than Couples Swept Away. Secrets didn't allow saving palapas when we were there last year.
Basically if you're paying the big bucks here to have an OF room you can roll out of bed at 5AM, secure a palapa and go back to bed to whenever knowing your spot is saved.

FYI, the staff here act like zombies, just going through the motions doing their jobs. Very apathetic, never smiling or wanting to engage guests in conversation. They should take lessons from the staff at Catcha Falling Star on the west end of Negril. We stayed there last week and we were treated like members of their family by every person working there. Truly an exceptional resort.

Couples has definitely lost two guests. We travel too much to spend our money on a soulless shell of a resort

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Hpycmpr99
Abraham I, Owner at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Hpycmpr99,

Thank you for staying at Swept Away. Sorry to hear you had issues finding a vacant palapa. Our policy is that guests must physically be at a palapa between 5:30 AM an 6 AM in order use it for any duration. If only belongings remain under a palapa past 6 AM, these items will be removed and secured so other guests can use it. Sincere apologies for any misunderstanding. I will ensure management monitors this closer in the future.

It was also disappointing to hear that you felt our staff were not very attentive throughout your stay. Couples Resorts will assess and address these issues immediately.

Regards,
Abraham Issa
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We love this resort. This is our 11th trip to Jamaica, and our 4th stay at Swept Away. Our first stay was many years ago before it was part of the Couples collection, and although it has doubled in size from our first visit, we still enjoy this resort. We feel the food improved since last year, especially in the execution. We prefer to stay in the beachfront suites in the older section. We really enjoy the sport facility, and I had two great sessions with Donovan, a personal trainer. The lap pool is clean and quiet, and we love the beach and the water. We are planning a trip back next year with our entire adult family.

4 Thank WindyCityRealtor
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

There is only one thing that keeps this resort from getting 5 stars and that is the rooms. They need a remodeling!! Could see the pipe on the bathtub faucet, mirror in bathroom was peeling its backing. Doors and drawers would stick. The mattress was very good though. And the view was gorgeous. The beach was one of the best I've seen.
We were there for a wedding and would not go at that time of year(end of June) if you hate high humidity. The wedding was on the beach and was very nice. The reception in the Aura lounge was air conditioned. The buffet food was very good and so were the drinks.
Really loved Feathers, Lemongrass and Patois restaurants.The Palm buffet was better for breakfast. Want to thank TripGuy.com for setting it all up for 75 people,great job!!

2 Thank HawaiiloverChicago
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Best rooms, great seafood, relaxed atmoshere and great choice of restaurants and bars. All drinks are done with genuine fresh fruit and original liqueurs. Perfect 5star dining.
Don't miss fitness classes done by international fitness trainers, or enjoy tennis in the many tennis courts available. You can have a squash class. Everything found in the sport complex adjacent to the Resort.
Loved the spot at the best Negril Seven Miles Beach location.

Room Tip: Even the old ones, I would recommend the Atrium Suites, where you can really feel at your jamaican h...
7 Thank Gourmet67_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!