“Couples Swept Away - A Review From a Previous Sandals Guest”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Gainesville, FL
“Couples Swept Away - A Review From a Previous Sandals Guest”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

OK, so let me start by saying this was our first trip to a Couples Resort. We have previously been to Sandals Whitehouse and one of the most frustrating things before we booked was trying to find traveler reviews of Couples from travelers who had visited Sandals before. So, not only will I give an in depth review of Couples Swept Away, at the end I will also give you my take on how this resort compares to its competitor. If you find my review helpful, please be sure to click the helpful button at the bottom so more travelers have easy access to it!

We visited Swept Away from July 11-16. I'm no stranger to all inclusive resorts, but this was the first Couples we have visited. Overall it was a good trip and our group had a lot of fun, but with any business, there is plenty of room for improvement at this resort. I truly hope that management reads this review and uses it to improve their resort, because they really are not that far away from being in the top tier of all inclusives in the Caribbean.

---FIRST IMPRESSIONS---
So once we got through Customs, we went to the Couples lounge to wait for our bus. The staff there was very friendly and they offered water and beer. We were there for about twenty minutes before we went out to the bus. Remember that the airport workers who take your bags to the bus are NOT with Couples, so it's customary to tip them $1 per bag. Normally they would bring a big bus but because we were the only ones checking in, we got a minivan. The driver was a great driver but he really didn't do anything to help "welcome" or "enhance" the drive (about an hour and a half). On the Sandals bus, they stopped half way for drinks and snacks and the driver was talking to everyone, having a good time, and pointing out things along the trip. No big deal, we just talked amongst ourselves, but it would have been nice to get a little something out of him.

Next we arrived to check in, and this part was pretty poor. The other couple we traveled with had never been out of the country or to an all inclusive, and I feel like with the way check in went, if we were not there to help them, they would have had a really bad experience. After putting our credit card on file, we were handed a map, a few things were pointed out, and we were pretty much left to "figure it out" on our own. With a large all inclusive resort like this, normally someone would come out and give a 5-10 minute talk about how dinner reservations work, talk about water sports, the activities, be welcoming. For us... nothing. Just handed a map and that was that. So we headed to our rooms and went out to explore.

---RESTAURANTS---
So for dinner, there are pretty much 4 restaurants to choose from, well strike that, it depends on what night of the week you are in. One of the strangest things I've ever seen at a resort like this... the top two restaurants actually close one night a week. The top two restaurants (Feathers and Lemongrass) are among the best food I've had at an all inclusive, yet the sad part is you'll only get to eat in them about 50% of your stay (if you're lucky). They don't let you make reservations for your entire trip at once and each of them close one night a week. So the rest of your stay, you're forced to eat in the lower tier restaurants like The Palms. You'll be able to find food at this resort pretty much every minute you are awake though, as they have a snack counter with burgers, fries, sandwiches open until 5am. Dinner reservations can only be made at the two top restaurants for 6:30pm and 9:00pm, so make sure as soon as you check in that you make a reservation for each of them (the concierge desk closes at 7pm which is where you make the reservations). As I mentioned, the food at Lemongrass and Feathers was great... make sure you ask to try a few different things. The Palms was one of the worst service experiences I've had at an all inclusive. We ate there for breakfast each morning (they have a decent buffet) and for dinner two of the nights. The morning staff was decent, but the night staff was terrible. Not only did they not have the go above and beyond mentality that many on the resort have, most of them were appearing to be downright angry that they were working. They gave us attitude if we asked for something as simple as a drink and just didn't seem to care about making the guests happy. Management really needs to clean house with the staff in the Palms and get a manager in there that can make sure the rest of the Jamaican (and Couples) hospitality is portrayed correctly.

---WATER SPORTS---
The water sports offered at CSA (Couples Swept Away) are fantastic, one of the best things in the resort. You can use the hobby cats, paddle boards, kayaks, etc pretty much all day. They also have several scuba and snorkel trips throughout the day that are free (unless you don't have a scuba license, then there is a small fee for a quick resort course). The snorkel trip was fantastic, they have several reefs that are only a 4 minute boat ride away, and you get to see tons of stuff. The water is clear and calm. Julian loves his job and does a great job on these trips. We also did the nigh snorkel which was REALLY cool, but they never once mentioned that it was $35 a person until just before we got on the boat - so don't be surprised if you sign up for it. They mentioned there was a fee if we did not show up but never mentioned there would be a charge if we did show. You'll get back from it at about 8:20pm so if you rush you can shower and make a 9pm reservation at one of the top restaurants. The final thing we did is the catamaran cruise. This leaves at about 4pm most days and was a must do for all couples. It's a mix between site seeing, booze cruise, and cave swimming. You go up the coast and get to see a bunch of stuff on the way to these AMAZING caves that you can swim in... one of the coolest experiences ever. Bring a snorkel and mask for sure! On the way back, the boat turns up the music, dancing begins (if you want), and everyone just enjoys themselves. Plenty of room on the boat to just "hang out" if you aren't wanting to party.

---BEACH AND POOLS---
Nice and simple... as every other review mentions, it's one of the nicest beaches you'll ever see. Some guests complain they can't get the local vendors to go away, and in my opinion, that's an exaggeration and their own fault. The beach is very wide and there are 4-5 "levels" of chairs from the ocean to the resort. The beach vendors only ever say anything to the row closest to the water. Also, it's the same 5-10 guys and girls going up and down the beach, so if you tell them no thank you, they remember you and leave you alone. We stayed in chairs near the bar and under some trees and never once had a vendor come bother us... we did get some Pot sellers motioning to us to come to the water to come buy, but as soon as you shake your head they move right along. The pools are nothing special at all at this resort... a rectangle with some water to jump into. Not many people were ever really using them, as everyone was on the beach. It would be nice if they put down some fresh paint and cleaned up the pool area though. We normally are "pool people" but even we were on the beach every day - it's just that nice. They have a huge swimming area and you can see your feet throughout it because it's that clean.

---THE STAFF---
At CSA I felt like 30% were ALL STARS, 40% were doing their job with a smile and were very nice, and 30% were down right terrible and should be only working "behind the scenes". I would say overall, the biggest areas that need improvement staff wise are The Palms and those involved in making the first impression a memorable one. The best overall departments were Entertainment and Water Sports, with the Beach Bars being a close 3rd. The all stars that I would like to name (and I hope CSA rewards them for this) are:

Beach Bar - Garnett , Georgette, Jodi - We loved these three because not only did they make tasty drinks, but they were teaching everyone to dance, remembered our names, and were playing local island music the whole time. They always were loving their job and the guests which made it a lot of fun to be with them all day.

Entertainment - Andre, Rosalyn, & DJ Gemini - Andre is the best dancer I've ever seen at a resort, period. He and Rosalyn make a great team both on the dance floor and around the resort as well. They remember who you are and really bring life to the resort. Rosalyn is a fantastic dancer as well and she really made the catamaran cruise a lot of fun. DJ Gemini did a great job in the club... great mixes!

Club Bar - Shavanna - We only got him one night because he went on vacation but he was the life of the party. GREAT shots and really interacted well with the guests. He's a ball of energy!
Water Sports - Julian - Did a great job on the snorkel and night snorkel trips. Very friendly, very patient, did a good job making sure everyone had a great time.

Lemongrass - Itecia, Tony Ann - These two gave the best service we had in the restaurants. Very nice, gave you what you wanted, and most importantly... they SMILED and enjoyed themselves, which was a rare occurrence from the wait staff on property.

Without these 10 staff members, this visit would have been a bust. There were a lot of bad apples working (many of them in The Palms, but a few scattered all around), but these All Stars allowed us to look past the bad apples, really enjoy our stay, and have us talking about them days after we return. Out of the 10, I'd have to give top top honors to Andre, Rosalyn, and Garnett. All ten were phenomenal and these three really just were having such an amazing time each day, there's no way you couldn't follow suit. Have them train others on the resort, let them lead. It doesn't take a lot of effort to be nice or to go out of your way to help a guest, and this crew really gets it. They are the foundation for this resort and I applaud them! One other recommendation in the entertainment department would be to gut the Casino. Most of the machines don't work and it's a creepy environment. Gut it all, put 2 pool tables, a ping pong table, some dart boards in there and make it into a pub atmosphere. It would be a great compliment to the night club and would vastly improve the biggest eyesore on the resort.

OVERALL... Couples Swept Away is a great resort and is well worth the money we spent. I would give them a 3.8 star rating overall. If they cleaned up four simple things:
- Palm staff overhaul
- All restaurants open every night
- Better night entertainment
- Better first impression greetings

Clean up these 4 things, and I'd easily rate them 4.5-5 stars on a return visit. Was very happy with what we got vs what we paid. One tip, book the Mobay VIP lounge at the airport for your return trip. You can do this at the resort or through your travel agent for $30. It's comfortable, tons of couches, free fast wi fi, unlimited drinks and bar, food, etc. Well well well worth the $30. You can read below to compare my stay at Couples vs my stay at Sandals.

OK, so as I said earlier, before we booked we had a hard time trying to find some reviews on Couples from those who had previously been to a Sandals. When traveling to Sandals, I recommend only going if you can afford a room with a butler or a club level room, because they have the ability to make dinner, water sport, and excursion reservations for you. If you go without a butler or club level, I would not be happy because you can't reserve anything really... you have to wait in line at the restaurants as you would if showing up to a busy restaurant in the main land... and that wait could be an hour or more. Couples does not have a butler service level, all guests are on the same tier. By going to Couples instead of Sandals with club level, we saved about $1500 over the five days, so that should be taken into consideration. The water sports at Couples was way better than Sandals. The quality of food at the top two restaurants of Couples was better than at Sandals, but at Sandals, all restaurants were consistently good. At Sandals, all restaurants were open each night, which was a MAJOR plus. With the club level, we got to eat where we wanted, when we wanted, throughout the entire stay. The first impressions were much better at Sandals, as they had someone give us an overview of the resort and it was nice that the bus from the airport stopped halfway in for drinks and snacks. The room we got in Sandals was newer and cleaner, but none of the rooms you'll find in Jamaica are going to be "5 star" type of Las Vegas or NY rooms. The Sandals rooms had better fit and finish and were close to an American standard 4.5 stars. The Couples rooms were clean and had everything they needed, but the fit and finish needed updating, especially in the bathroom... closer to a 3.0-3.5 star American standard. They are quaint and not made to be stayed in for a long time - get out on the beach mon!

I would say the grounds were pretty comparable in the two, maybe a slight advantage goes to Sandals. The beach is WAY better at CSA but the pools are WAY better at Sandals Whitehouse - so it depends on what you like. When it comes to the staff, it's a tough one to call. At CSA I mentioned that I felt like 30% were ALL STARS, 40% were doing their job with a smile and were very nice, and 30% were downright terrible. At Sandals Whitehouse I felt like 5-10% were ALL STARS, 80% were doing their job with a smile and were very nice, and very very few were downright terrible and should be only working "behind the scenes". At Sandals we never really encountered too many terrible staff, but also didn't have as many all stars as Couples did. So, pick your poison. Sandals wins for consistency and less bad apples, but Couples wins for having the most all stars on their staff, though they had so many bad apples it was tough to over look it. Night entertainment was better at Sandals. When there they had a steel drum band with beach party, a beach dessert night buffet, a comedian, etc. At Couples, they had some cheesy island singers on stage for an hour or two a night and that was about it.

Overall, here's the way I personally would look at it. I would give my Sandals trip 4.8 stars. I would give my Couples trip 3.8 stars... BUT, Couples was $1,500 cheaper over the 5 days, so that's a handicap that has to be weighed in. To me, Sandals just has a little bit of an edge in most categories. Rooms are a little nicer, staff was consistent, grounds were a little nicer, entertainment was better, etc. They just seemed to have their act together a little bit better. IF the extra $1500 doesn't bother you, go Sandals all the way... BUT if you'd rather hold onto that cash, you'll be very very happy at Couples, just prepare yourself with some of the tips and reviews I've mentioned.

I'd like to thank Amy McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services 888-449-3563 for helping us with the travel plans... look her up and use her... they really help when booking a resort like this - and her services are FREE. I really hope you found the review informative. I'd love to be contacted by CSA if they want more specifics of how they can improve (Room 3315, checked in 7/11/14).

Please mark this review as helpful if you agree!

140 Thank justin j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,426)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Greenville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Couples Swept Away from July 25th through August 2nd. This was our second trip to the resort.
Pros: The beach is by far the nicest beach I have ever seen.. The beach is wide, sand is super soft, the resort has a long stretch of beach. The water is very calm, clear, and warm. You can float on one of the rafts for hours..
Rooms are not fancy but I really liked them. They remodeled the bathroom and it 'Looks' nice. We stayed in a beachfront ground floor room and we were steps from the beach.
Watersports: large selection and good instructors.we tried the paddle boards, sailboats and snorkeling.
Food: not a huge selection at feathers and lemongrass but what they did have was excellent. The palms breakfast ,lunch, and dinner buffets were very good. There was always something new to try. Fresh fish is available at every meal. Be sure to try the stuffed french toasts at the palms they had a different one each morning banana, strawberry, ect... Don't forget to have Keasha make you an omelette she is an amazing chef and ask for Orrin at Feathers he will take good care of you.
Security: they were everywhere, friendly, and watched over all of the guests.
Cons:
Maid service :when the room was cleaned they did a good job but the time it was cleaned was inconsistent sometimes after 4pm
Shower. It would not drain. Had to lay four rolled beach towels outside the shower to prevent the bathroom from flooding. It was never fixed
Employees: some are just going through the motions( most are very good).. This was disappointing
Shade: the towel game is played here. If you want a palapa you need to be out before 6am. I saw people reserving them as early as 4:45 am and they didn't return to the beach for 4-5 hours resort policy is first come first serve. I guess if you wanted to you could put your stuff out the night before.

I would recommend this resort and we will return..

Room Tip: We liked the beachfront first floor room.
11 Thank vman09
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We just got back from CSA and I already want to go back ! We met so many wonderful guest and staff there. We were greeted at the airport with a Red Stripe beer and "No problem Mon". Check-in was a breeze and we were given a cold glass of champagne to enjoy through out the process. We stayed in the Atrium suite which was so peaceful and quiet. It did not have a TV but I didn't fly all that way to stay in my room and watch TV! We did take advantage of some of the excursions and water sports. My favorite excursion was the Appleton/YS Falls/Black River tour. It took a whole day but I feel like I saw a lot of Jamaica and the culture. I also enjoyed kayaking with my husband in the morning. The water is so calm and crystal clear. It was just amazing and peaceful. The only suggestion I would have with participating in the water sports is to do them in the morning if you can. Once the parasailing boats and other activities get started, it gets a little "rocky" out on the water and might make the calm ride on the water a little rocky!
The Food !! We ate at every restaurant and rarely didn't like something. The menus change almost daily and it is really hard not to find something you don't like. Make reservations for Lemongrass and Feathers! They both offer amazing food and the view at Lemongrass is wonderful!
The staff !!! We met the most amazing people. "Chevel and Mae" at the beach bar were incredible! They both had the biggest smiles and were sooooo sweet! If you didn't like a particular drink, "No Problem!" They would take it with a huge grin and bring you back something else. I loved talking to them about the resort, Jamaica and what the resort had to offer.
"Huit" was part of the Activities and Entertainment group. He was very friendly and full of information about the resort. He was always checking on us and making sure we were having a good time. "Roxanne, Beckaroo, Antoinette" were some of our favorite servers at the Palms and Patois. BIG SMILES everyday and night! I loved their friendliness and they would ask about what we were doing for the day. It was like catching up with a friend. "Kurt" is the MAN at the piano bar. We would see him almost every night and he would greet us with a huge welcome and check on us throughout the evening.
My husband and I traveled with another couple and all agreed that we can not wait to go back. It was just simply AMAZING!

Room Tip: Our Atrium suite was near The Palms which had loud bands every night. We loved it but you may want...
5 Thank Kimbo624
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My new bride and I went to couples swept away and had a fantastic time!!! The resort is very clean and well maintained and the beach is to die for!! Crystal clear waters and plenty of sun to soak up on the great beach chairs!!! The rafts that were with every beach chair was a great plus also. The staff was very friendly some of them would offer you weed but all you had to do was politely decline and there was never any problem. The food was fantastic and the two reservation restaurants lemon grass and feathers were both very very good. Make sure to be there for lobster night (Saturday night). The room was great also. It had been recently renovated because the unit infront of ours was being remodeled while we were there. They arent anything to brag about luxury wise but who goes to Jamaica to sit on your room all day. All in all we had a great time on our honeymoon and we hope to go back in the near future. Great place to go for the quality and the price. I highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: "Rooms closer to beach are quieter" Make sure to get a second or third floor room.
4 Thank Will S
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After researching reviews for an all inclusive getaway somewhere in the Caribbean, we ended up at Swept Away because of all the consistently great reviews. Clientele were young newlyweds to couples celebrating 30+ year anniversaries and getaways. You could lay quietly on the beach or party at their swim up bar. 2 Pools on either end of property...one quieter than the other. Loved all the included water sports, sailing, water skiing, glass bottom boat, snorkeling, catamaran "booze cruise," paddle boards, and kayaking.
They have a great athletic center with hard-tru and clay tennis courts (including free lessons,) squash and racquetball, weights, spa, etc. There is also golf, although we did not play.
Dinners were good. We liked the Lemon Grass the best. Make reservations for Lemon Grass and Feathers right when you arrive. Also the Catamaran.
There is nightly live music and entertainment at both ends of the hotel premises.
Rooms were clean and very nice. I felt like I was in an upscale tree house! ;-) They also will stock your room with whatever you want.

Room Tip: Atrium Rooms have no tv. All areas have wi-fi. Garden Rooms can be on the street side and might be n...
8 Thank kachus
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Couples Swept Away in April 2014 for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. To say we enjoyed it would be a massive understatement.

As soon as we had arrived in Jamaica and had collected our luggage we were shown to the 'couples lounge'. As well as complimentary Red Stripe (other refreshments were available) the lounge provided a place to sit and relax during the short (ten minute) wait before being transferred to the hotel. The transfer was direct (no drop offs at other hotels) and when we arrived at CSA we were greeted with a glass of champagne and a cold towel. Concierge was closed when we arrived however the gentleman who checked us in escorted us to our room and carried our luggage. He wouldn't even allow me to carry my hand luggage and told me "now you're here the weight is taken off you"!!

Our room (3302) was classed as a 'garden view' room. It was next to the road so we could hear traffic but this didn't bother us at all. The view from the large balcony stretched across the gardens and jacuzzi to the Caribbean sea. The room was spacious and very clean, and the bed was huge!! There was plenty of storage space; tea / coffee making facilities; digital safe; ceiling fans inside the room and on the balcony; air con; alarm clock with I-pod docking station; large TV; toiletries (shower gel, shampoo, body lotion, shower cap); sewing kit; hairdryer; and a fridge / mini bar which was stocked daily with Red Stripe, bottled water and fizzy drinks. There was a maid service twice daily; once during the day to do the usual and then again in the evening to turn down the bed, change the towels (again!) and do anything else that needed doing.

The rooms are located in many buildings (rather than in one huge block of concrete) which are scattered within tropical gardens, pools and jacuzzis, and skirted by a stunning beach. The beach is idyllic: soft white sand, palm trees and warm blue water. There are daily water sports however there is no pressure to engage in any of the activities. There are bars on the beach and each morning a waiter / waitress would bring fruit kebabs to where we were lying, followed by water or fruit juice, a cold towel and a flag. When in need of another drink you simply stand your flag up and someone comes over and serves you! There are two pools and a beach so areas were never overcrowded and loungers were readily available throughout the day. The loungers have a very comfortable overlay which also doubled up as a floatation device to lie on in the sea. Local people visit the beach to try to sell stuff but we were not hassled at all. A simple "no thanks" was enough. There were security guards on the beach to ensure that non residents did not access the grounds. The security also supervised transactions when guests decided to purchase items from locals. The presence of security created a sense of safety during our stay and was not imposing at all.

The sports complex / spa / lane pool is on the other side of the road and there was a security guard to escort you safely across the road! We found this pool very relaxing to lounge beside. We had a couples massage which was just lovely.

The food was amazing. The Palms restaurant served a buffet breakfast and lunch, and there were chefs who prepared food on request (e.g. omelettes, waffles, pancakes, fish). The Palms also served dinner which was sometimes a buffet and at other times a menu / waiter service. There was entertainment at The Palms every evening. We loved Exodus, the resident band, and the steel drums band is not to be missed. The Patois has a menu / waiter service for lunch and dinner. There are two a la carte restaurants (The Lemongrass and The Feathers) which require reservations but had availability whenever we wanted to go. The service in all of the restaurants was excellent. There were also pool side cafes for a light bite at lunch time, and an ice cream machine that you could help yourself to throughout the day. The selection of drinks was very good. I've never been to an all inclusive hotel that serves champagne, never mind a one that serves it at breakfast!!! And I would definitely recommend the papaya smoothies.

The only negative aspect about our stay at CSA was leaving to go home. We loved every moment and brought home memories which will last a life time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Lisa O
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was our second time here!!

Ground transport from Montego Bay Airport - you go to the couples swept away lounge area after customs. There is where you get your first Red Stripe Beer! Coldest ever!! It's on tap...all you want before departing!!

Upon arrival at check in, Champagne!! Get checked in and then you begin your vacation!!

Rooms are fully stocked - beer, wine, liquor, waters, soda - You'll need to check off the beverage list what you want and then they will stock the frig...these are full size bottles of Rum, Vodka, Wine, Champagne, etc.

Be careful booking your room...some do not have TV's

ALL food/beverages is included 24/7 and we never had a bad meal!! Even at breakfast you can make your own mimosa or bloody mary! There is always alcohol!! Waffle/pancake station is awesome!

Activities/Excursions are included: 3 swimming pools, 5 jacuzzis, swim up pool bar, paddle boards, beach volleyball, windsurfing, scuba, snorkeling, sunset catamaran boat cruise ( you get to dive off and swim in the caves), water skiing, Hoby cat, kayaking, beach party, etc.

Check the daily schedules for other fun activities: hat making, jewelry making, Jamaica cooking and more!

Spa is extra but depending on the time of year, you may get a free massage in your package. Fitness Center w/10 tennis courts. Aerobics, kick boxing, Pilates, yoga!

Lay on the beach and when your drink is empty, stick your flag in the ground and they will come running to take your order! You don't have to leave your chair!!

mid morning, staff brings fruit kabobs to you on the beach, mid day, cold, wet towel to wipe your face! ( this was not every day from what I can remember)

The padding on your lounge chair is your float for the crystal, pristine water where you can go under and find starfish right at your feet!!

There is a swim up bar that is fun to sit at when the afternoon, pop up shower comes your way!

6 different restaurants on site from five-star to a veggie bar! Jerk Chicken and the Red Snapper sandwich was some of our favorites at the Cabana Grill...Also, the Jerk Burger was incredible!!

All of the staff were perfectly attentive and so wonderful! Every wish was granted now matter the request

It's an incredible place to go! All Inclusive, couples only!!

The photos that show on the website for Swept Away are true and it all looks like that! No wondering! You will not run out of things to do or you can do nothing at all!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beach front veranda suite and it was AWESOME! We had a corner suite and it was larg...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Michelle M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!