“Love Swept Away”

Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Dyersburg, Tennessee
“Love Swept Away”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just as the other reviewers stated, Couples Swept Away never disappoints. This was our third visit and without a doubt will be back. From your first encounter at the airport you are treated with kindness and above the board service. Everyone truly enjoys their job and are dedicated to superior customer service. We have tried the other adult resort in Jamaica and without a doubt, CSA wins hands down. The welcome at check in sets the tone and the spoils begin. The outstanding staff makes it really hard to leave. Smiley in Patois was always ready for my husbands aggravating and always came back with a witty reply and a smile. Piano bar was always a good time. Both Feathers and Lemongrass served excellent meals. With our group we always share a bite or two and every entree was great. I recommend the PanThai Noodles, very good. Could have eaten them for every meal. The chef at Seagrapes went above and beyond. Often came out from behind the grill to wait tables or even deliver food. Made sure everything was just as expected. Rarely would you find that in the states. Fish tacos and sweet potato chips were a great lunch.
We found the beach to be just as beautiful as the last time we were there (last year). Very little litter which is hard to control with plenty of lounge chairs. Watersports team always excited to be at work. They do their best to accommodate your every request. I hope the red boat gets in the water soon. Was a bit of a challenge on delivery. Our room was clean and very comfortable. We were never disturbed in the morning by housekeeping. They seemed to understand much needed "adult time" letting us sleep well past 10. Nothing negative all positives. Love you CSA

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank workhardtraveloften

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,446)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our second trip to Jamaica but first time at a Couples resort. It is pricey compared to some other all inclusives, but the fact that so many excursions are included (also the airport shuttle) makes it worth the money. The food quality is also great. The only meal we didn't care for was at the buffet. Everything else was delicious. Patois has amazing banana-stuffed french toast for breakfast and pizzas for lunch and dinner. The food at Lemongrass was great as well. Feathers is the most upscale restaurant. Again, great food and service there but we did feel a little rushed. We also loved our room (Atrium Suite). There is no TV which we did not miss once. The patio is huge. The bathroom was plenty big and we always had clean towels. There are some little ants that crawl around in the bathroom but I don't think that can be avoided anywhere in the Caribbean. One complaint I did have was that we filled out the request form of what we wanted in our mini-fridge weeks before our arrival. It was not stocked when we got there. Why bother asking if it isn't going to be fulfilled? That was a minor detail though. Our overall experience was great. The beach is beautiful. You will get asked to buy things from the vendors, but there is security around if they are a bother to you. We always had something to do here and felt like we should have stayed longer! We would love to go back.

7 Thank chicagolefty
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

First time visit. Stayed for a week in July, which was perfect amount of time, but a hot time of year to go. Favorite things: drifting on chair floater in beautiful clear blue water with a drink; relaxing and mostly peaceful beach; evening sunset cruise that took us to swim in cave with bats and watch cliff divers; seeing giant eagle ray while snorkeling; evening buffet dessert table (and I don't usually eat dessert!); large tropical-landscaped resort that you could (and usually do) get lost in; mostly great and friendly service; decent food with enough variety we didn't get bored; strong top-shelf drinks at most bars; very comfortable bed and pillows; no screaming children or rowdy college kids; no tipping! Not so favorite things: long bus ride to airport on bus without toilet; unair-conditioned and sometimes slow service in restaurants; beach bars closing early in evening so you had to go to unair-conditioned restaurants to drink; a few (not all) unattentive bartenders; swim-up pool bar and jacuzzis needed to be cleaned more often and probably repainted; spent more time in room then we anticipated because it was really only place with AC; traffic noise at night in room near road; no separate ceiling on bathroom in our room so not much bathroom privacy from your spouse. Tips: bring Tervis cup with lid and bendy straws; bring more bathing suits and fewer clothes; bring patience because island time means things happen more slowly; get Mobay fast-track service through airport (worth it); bring your own music for your room.

Room Tip: In room near road, traffic noise at night was sometimes loud. Second floor room avoids noise from wa...
4 Thank Audrey F
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I just spent 8 nights August 8th-16th at Swept Away for our 3rd time. The first visit was our honeymoon, the second was our 5 year anniversary (last year - and we renewed our vows) and this year to attend a friend's wedding and vacation! It did not disappoint! It is truly a special place with MANY special people. This resort is not for those who like "fancy"....it is truly a Jamaican paradise with a very laid back feel. That is not to say that this resort is not beautiful, because it is. The rooms are spacious, clean and nice (rooms are being renovated and i think most are complete). The grounds are full of lush, well kept, landscape. The beach is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I honestly have never been to a beach so beautiful. No seaweed, no rocks - just perfectly blue/green water and sand!
As many other people have said, there are many staff that are rock stars and there are a few who do are just "there". Overall, we think the staff are wonderful. If you treat them nicely, they will treat you nicely. I think some people who complain are just people who like to complain. A special shout out to some of our favorite people - Emeil at front desk is a gem, so helpful and so sweet. My favorite security guard (older gentleman, starts with an "R" - can never remember the full name) who talked to me every single morning on the way to the fitness facilities - one of those perfect gentlemen. Curtis at pool bar - who literally made us laugh every single day! Clayton at Water Sports is the best! The woman at Lemongrass, who is the hostess (don't remember her name, but when you ask "how are you?", she replies with "I am blessed"...love it) is just the nicest lady! There are so many more...wish we could mention them all!
Also, wanted to mention that we used Steve C. @ Beach Bum Vacations who made everything very easy for us. His knowledge of the Caribbean is extensive which really helps when you're trying to plan a vacation and he's always VERY reachable - which is comforting!
I could go on and on about Swept Away....it's truly a special place. We will most definitely be back again! Can't wait for the next time!

Room Tip: beachfront is the best
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
22 Thank TLS0912
Wrexham County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

by far the best holiday experience I have ever had, the staff, the resort, the beach, food & drinks all outstanding, this is a first class hotel and I really didn't want to leave, I will treasure my memories of this place and hope to return sometime in the future, I loved Jamaica, Negril is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank richard l
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from CSA (stayed August 8 thru August 15) and both agreed that it has been our favorite place we've stayed. We are 44 years old and have been to the Bahamas, DR, and Riveria Maya. We stayed in an atrium suite, block 26 room 2125 lower level. Our first room was in block 29 room1232 and we asked to be moved because it was right next to The Palms restaurant and they had entertainment in the evening til around 11:30. It was very loud from our room. We tried to get to sleep by 10:30 so this didn't work for us. However, the view from this room was amazing. We were moved the next day without any problem. Room 2125 was in the middle of the resort and though we didn't have the view, we were very happy with this choice. It was less then a minute to walk to the beach and we were right in front of the sunset bar. The best spot on the beach in my opinion.
The beach is by far the best we have been to and CSA has the best stretch along the way. We took the glass bottom boat past other resorts and they didn't seem as nice...especially Sandals. We couldn't decide between Couples and Sandals and after seeing their beach we knew we made the right decision. We also enjoyed the treatment while at the beach. They brought out cold towels, snow cones, fruit kabobs, and would wait on you for drinks. We chose to get our own drinks since we were so close to the bar but it would be nice if you were further away. The floating mats are on every beach lounger and add so much to your beach experience. Floating on those mats in the ocean is what I will miss most about our vacation! The local vendors were not a problem for us. By the end of the week we knew their names. We purchased a bracelet from Andrea and a CD from one of the musicians named Fire. During the day a simple no thank you was accepted and they moved on, but they were more aggressive at night and it made it difficult to enjoy the beach in the evening.
We walked to Margaritaville one morning to buy souvenirs and it was a short 10 minute walk. There are also other small shops and bars along the way if you want to get off the resort for awhile.
CSA offers a lot of activities. My husband tried paddle boarding for the first time and he loved it once he got his balance! The water sports guys were great and very willing to help. We signed up for the catamaran trip but it was cancelled due to bad weather. My advice would be to schedule it early during your stay so if you get rained out you can re-schedule it for another day. We were not able to do this because we scheduled ours for Wednesday and they didn't offer it on Thursday and we were leaving on Friday.
Overall the food was very good. Nothing was great but nothing was bad either. We really enjoyed the fish tacos at Seagrapes during the afternoons and the lobster on Saturdays was good and included at no extra charge like some resorts do. Patios was our favorite place for dinner but we didn't eat at Feathers or Lemongrass which are the 2 restaurants you need reservations for. This time of year is very hot and humid and my husband didn't want to wear pants as required for Feathers, and we had heard from others that Lemongrass was extremely hot as it is not air conditioned and on the second floor.
We went to the piano bar one night and had a good time. They hand out song books and everyone sings along. It is also air conditioned so a great place to cool off if your hot! We also watched the steel drum band one evening which was followed by the bonfire on the beach. We really enjoyed this evening and it was the best night we had at the resort. We wished they had the bonfire every night. They had a wonderful guitar singer who sang soft romantic music and you could hear the sound of the waves in the background. On a side note, there was a group of very loud English people who I felt were disrespectful as they were standing right next to the singer. We had to move away from them to enjoy the moment. Just thought it was worth saying as I have read some English people refer to Americans as being loud:-)
We took the One Love Bar Crawl which was fun if you want to see the cliffs side of Negril and we also booked a private tour with Big Ship Tours to Black River, YS Falls and Pelican Bar. Dudley was our driver and he was excellent! I would recommend him and this tour. CSA has a tour desk but they don't take you to the Pelican Bar and we wanted to go there. Dudley went out of his way to make stops to experience the Jamaican culture.
If you decide to do either of the tours you may want to bring school supplies for the children of Jamaica. Both drivers will see to it that they are distributed to those that need them.
We took the orientation tour of the resort the first day we got there with Author. He was a nice young man and we learned a lot about the resort. I would recommend taking the tour to find out anything you may want to know.
I hope to return to CSA and would recommend it to anyone going to Jamaica. It is not a fancy resort with lots of marble and fountains. If that is what you prefer then I would look elsewhere. It is more rustic and a place I believe Frank Lloyd Wright would love as it is all about bringing the beauty of the natural surroundings to you. If you appreciate nature then you will love CSA!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank kirbybandit
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This vacation was my our (mine and my wife's) second trip to Jamaica and our second stay at a Couples property. We stayed at Couples Sans Souci last year and enjoyed it so much that we decided to come back again this year, but also wanted to experience the Negril beach and the unique layout of the rooms at Swept Away. Therefore, we chose to book as a split-stay between the two properties with a week at Swept Away and a week at Sans Souci.

The first part of our experience of any note was the booking process. Couples website makes it very straightforward to book a stay at a single property and combine it with airfare for a package discount. However, their reservation system is very limited - the way it functions is by using the dates of your hotel stay at a single property and using these dates to choose the dates of your airfare - which will not work with a stay split between two resorts. Thus there is no obvious way to get the airfare package discount on a split-stay without calling 1-800-COUPLES and working with the human reservation team. I will be blunt about this aspect of our trip - I tolerated it solely because of my on-property experience from the previous year. If I had been a first time Couples customer, I probably would have switched to another resort due to the inefficiency and difficulty securing and confirming my reservation. It almost felt at times that I was pleading with their staff to take my money, and they kept making errors or saying that the right staff to make my reservation were not available. Long-story short, it took almost 2 weeks from the time I first called Couples, for me to complete our reservation. I do not think I will book a split stay with airfare through couples ever again - preferring instead to book the stay well in advance for the best discount, and then attempting to book the airfare through a travel agent.

Once the trip itself was booked, however, everything was smooth sailing. Well, almost. We flew out of Miami and arrived in Montego Bay a bit before 2PM local time. We were dismayed to find that around 5 other flights had arrived just before us, and the line for immigration was backed up well into the room before the large ramp (this makes sense if you have been to Sangster airport before). We took around two hours to clear immigration and customs and really found ourselves wishing we had purchased Club Mobay arrival service. This was particularly important to us because we wanted to try and arrive in Negril before the watersports desk at Couples closed at 4PM so we could reserve SCUBA for the following morning. We arrived well after that time in the evening, so had to try our luck in the morning.

We were brought to our room directly upon arrival - a "Premier Beachfront Suite." So help me it was like that commercial for booking.com: the one where a tired looking husband arrives at a room with his wife and kids (one of whom lost his shoes), and describes how crappy the trip has been, then opens the door to the room and does a fist pump because the room is so awesome. We stayed in a second floor room - room 2235 - which had an unobstructed up-close view of the ocean from the expansive wrap-around balcony on the corner of the building. We walked in right at sunset, and the view was magical. My wife and I probably spent more time on that balcony than in the room itself for the rest of our trip. When we needed shade, and others were griping that they couldn't find a palapa that hadn't been reserved, we'd just head to our own private balcony "palapa". The handful of rooms at Swept Away in this category are totally unique among all the Couples properties, and I will admit, are the main reason we were attracted to this resort in the first place. The room was on the "old-side" of the resort where the rooms do not have televisions (a plus for us) and also do not have glass paned windows - only wooden slats that can be opened for the breeze or closed to keep in the air conditioning. There is another category of room at Swept Away on the "old-side" called "Beachfront Suites" that can be reserved that are just as close to the beach, but do not have the expansive balconies. There is also a third category on the "new-side" of the resort called "Beachfront Verandah Suites" that are also very close to the beach, but in a larger building with much smaller balconies. The buildings on the new side do have television and glass windows. All rooms on both sides have high speed wifi internet which is the mainstay of my video entertainment these days in any case. So anyway, the room here was a definite win.

Our experience with the service here was unexpectedly good. Previously at Sans Souci, we had made minibar requests that were either ignored or messed up. At Swept Away, they stocked our minibar with extra waters, extra diet cokes, and extra red-stripes, and left out all the stuff we did not want. Room service did miss our breakfast order once, but other than that, the minibar and room service was better than we had previously experienced. This included an anniversary present of 16 red roses for our wedding anniversary with a champagne breakfast. Concierge service was helpful - and I was somehow able to reserve a private cruise for our anniversary without my wife finding out about it. I convinced her were were going on the sunset booze cruise where they pack in half the resort like cattle, and then instead I led her out to the owner's catamaran for our private cruise. The cruise included a boat captain and a staff member from couples to assist us, as well as complimentary fruit and cheese plate and beverages. I am not sure which beverages however, as we brought our own bottle of Moet from the duty-free in Miami. Our cruise set sail in a thunderstorm, which we just managed to outflank to the south toward the cliffs. Once there, the skies cleared up and we even saw a rainbow just before a beautiful sunset. We did manage to get in an hour of snorkeling and freediving near the cliffs before heading home.

The highlight of our stay - both here and at Sans Souci - was the SCUBA diving. My wife and I are both certified Advanced Open Water divers who had only gone diving 3 times since our trip to Jamaica one year previously. As noted above, we were concerned that we would be unable to make a dive reservation for the morning due to our late arrival, but it turned out that we were able to be added to the boat simply by asking in the morning just after the watersports area opened. We dove twice every day we were at the resort, and also did an extra night dive with 3 other couples. The diving was fair by our standards - the high points being the crystal clear visibility and warm water, as well as some fairly interesting coral formations and swim-throughs. The fish life on the reef was more diverse than at Ocho Rios, with several turtles, nurse sharks, and large southern and eagle rays spotted over the course of the week. All in all, however, the combination of lionfish invasion and overfishing limit the diversity of the Jamaican reefs. The divemasters led lionfish hunting expeditions on most of our dives and usually killed between 5 and 10 of the little monsters. Sometimes they would feed the chopped up lionfish to a couple of large resident southern rays named Gracie and Priscilla that hung out near where the dive boat was moored. The dive staff were a fun and competent bunch - usually leading separate squads of divers segregated into beginners, lionfish hunters, and certified divers. The trip out to the reef was usually around 15 minutes or so, and dive times were around 40 minutes or whenever the first person hit 1000 psi. Max depth was usually around 65ft, 95ft for three scheduled "deep dives" during the course of the week. The night dive was advertised as a better way to see more of the organisms on the reef, but was not really that much different from the daytime, except for more vibrant colors because of our carrying full spectrum white lights into the depths instead of relying on scattered sunlight. The lack of abundant fish on the reefs in Negril during the day isn't because the fish are less active and sleeping in holes, it is because the fish have been depleted by the lionfish and overfishing as noted above. Still, a bad day diving is better than the best day working - and the diving here has a lot going for it. Think of it as liveaboard diving, without having to sleep on a boat :)

The other highlight of our stay was the beach itself. The water here is that peculiar shade of deep turquoise that other destinations make post-cards out of even if their actual water is nowhere near as beautiful. At Negril, the post-cards are spot on. The bottom is sandy with no rocks, with swimming areas laid out between floating buoy lines. Swimming (including snorkeling) outside the buoy lines is not permitted due to the large amount of boat traffic in the area. Snorkeling over the sandy bottom revealed two distinct types of sea stars - smaller royal starfish and larger cushion starfish. I also saw some sea hares and the aforementioned "pet" southern stingrays. Due to the lack of seagrasses, rocks, or other cover, there are few if any fish near the beach. Walking along the beach to the right (north) one passes several other resorts and then ends up at a public park where the beach remains washed away up to the treeline from Hurricane Sandy. Walking toward the left (south) there are more resorts and some restaurants including Margaritaville. The beach is public up to the high water mark, and vendors and performers walk the beach selling music, cigars, excursions, and a few basically are openly selling ganja. The resort has guards who will chase them away if you seem annoyed, or if they are behaving overly aggressive. Mostly, a pleasant no thank you was enough to send them on their way. Resort guests on the beach were generally in their 30s-50s, obviously all couples, and wearing all manner of swimsuits from one pieces down to skimpy thongs. There were some topless female sunbathers as well, but no au naturel sunbathing at this resort. Overall, the vibe seemed younger, more American, and a bit more party oriented than at Sans Souci.

Food choices at Swept Away were considerably more expansive than at Sans Souci. There were two beach restaurants - Seagrapes and the Beach Grill. Seagrapes was "vegetarian" but really what Americans would call "pescetarian" as snapper and fish tacos were on the menu. The Beach Grill had snapper sandwiches, jerk chicken and jerk burgers. Both had self serve fountain sodas and ice cream and fountain red-stripe beer. There were two restaurants open for breakfast and dinner - The Palms and Patois Patio. The Palms was a combination of buffet and full service restaurant, and Patois Patio was full service only. We enjoyed the fruit and omelets at The Palms, and the eggs benedict and banana stuffed French toast at Patois Patio. The repeaters dinner was also held at Patois Patio and seemed merely standard. The dinner at Patois Patio on lobster night was half a properly cooked and seasoned spiny lobster tail. I am watching my calories, so I resisted the urge to request seconds, but I would easily have been able to request more if I had desired. The reservation-only dinner restaurants were Lemongrass (Thai) and Feathers (Caribbean / Continental). We ate at Lemongrass twice and enjoyed both meals very much - more for the fact that the food was entirely different from anything else at the resort, than because of the innate quality of the food itself. One dish, however, did stand out - the snapper with yellow curry was very well done, with the snapper cooked to just the right tenderness and the sauce complimenting the fish well. We ate at Feathers twice, and the first time was a disaster - they forgot they had given us our appetizer and so gave us a second helping by mistake, neglected to replace our silverware between courses, at one point gave us a random drink of rum cream in the middle of our meal that was intended for another table, and vastly overcooked our main entrée course (beef tenderloin). On the second trip back, things were much better - the steak and lamb were properly cooked, and the service was near-perfect. Overall, while varied compared to Sans Souci, the food selection is still in no way even close to five-star.

The drinks at the bars remained a highlight of the couples experience: the so-called Dirty Banana, Snake Eyes, and the venerable Pina Colada being the mainstay of our bar selection from the beach bars. They did have Glenlivet 12 year at the bars at Lemongrass and Feathers, as well as at the piano bar, which made for a good drink with a splash of water or soda. The manager's wine list was on the pricey side for the wines that were included, which is probably to be expected given the need for the wines to be imported. Most of the better wines were from California, and can be had for much less in the States. We did not tip bartenders, nor did we feel any pressure to do so.

The fitness center was located across the street from the rest of the resort. There are crossing guards to make sure you can cross the road safely. We used the treadmills and the weight area only - which were located outdoors. Because of the heat, we only worked out early in the AM around 7 o'clock. There were only three treadmills and they seemed in high demand. There were some ellipticals and stationary bicycles that seemed easier to come by. There were also tennis courts and an inviting appearing lap pool that looked to be Olympic sized or nearly so. The spa was located nearby, but we did not use it here.

We didn't get to see much of the nightly entertainment because we were often tired out from a long day of working out, scuba diving x 2, and a long afternoon of sunning, swimming, and imbibing alcohol. We did head to the piano bar once and enjoyed the show from Ultimate Chocolate and Jamaica's Last Virgin. We missed the Silver Birds at Swept Away, but saw them later at Sans Souci - they gave a good performance, but I don't think steel drum bands are my "style". Probably the best music we heard all week was from the heavyset beach performer who walks with the limp - whose rendition of Seven Spanish Angels about brought me to tears.

The trip across the island to Sans Souci was originally scheduled for 8:45AM, but we were able to delay this until 4PM so that we did not miss out on a day's worth of scuba diving in Negril. We were the only passengers in our resort-arranged transportation, and did not have to stop at the airport as others have reported. We arrived at San Souci after sunset - I am not sure that I would recommend a drive through the hills of Jamaica after dark for those who become carsick easily. I will review the second half of the stay at San Souci under that resort's heading at another time.

With regard to our stay at Swept Away, however, I can say that our stay here complemented our time at Sans Souci, and that I would stay here again given the opportunity.

Pros:
- Better diving than at Ocho Rios
- Nothing comparable to Premier Beachfront Suites in Ocho Rios
- World class beach - one of the best in the Caribbean
- Thai restaurant adds to food variety

Cons:
- At times, felt like a trip to the Florida Keys with all the Americans
- Food selections generally good, but repetitive

Room Tip: Premier beachfront suites are expensive but have large corner balconies. Not all of these rooms hav...
22 Thank gatordude99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
CocoLaPalm Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
#11 of 81 in Negril

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!