“Home Away From Home”

Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Columbia
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

I love this resort, the native people and the staff treat you very well. This was our second stay at Swept Away. We are planning to go back and get married on this property. We stayed in a oceanfront suite and it was fantastic! Our Headbord was the ocean (after you open the shtters)! This was truly a "let the outside in" expereince, down to showering and taking in the oceanfront. The furnished balcony was awesome, we could see the sunset and the guest as they walk along the path but most of them could not see us, so it was great for sun bathing. The food is great, the drinks are great and the bar was fully stocked in the suite. There is a club on the property for nighlife that plays great dancing music if you are into dancing and having a great time. There is wonderful lounge furniture in the club so it's like relaxing in your recliner while this possibly wild party is going on all around you. I like to call this also my home away from home. I want go home at least once a year. We can truly go here and take a reality break from life and appreciate the finer things life offers all of us. Not sure if I can stay any place else due to my expectations of the accomdations.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ghop2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

Third time in Negril....first time at Couples Swept Away. I'll try to make this review as short as possible.We stayed at Couples from 7th, April--21st, April. Weather was beautiful.We were in the Great house verandah suite....great view of the ocean. The staff went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.I did not hear one person complain about anything. As a matter of fact we can see why there were so many returnees.We will definitely recommend this hotel and we can't wait to return.I don't want to mention names of the staff just because I may forget someone or because some of them have some unique names.....but they all provided EXCELLENT service.For the people on this site who complained about staff not being friendly.....maybe you should try saying hello more often. BIG-UP for all the staff.Thanks Couples for making our stay an experience to remember.

Wally/Marcia/Jessica/Marsha

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank WallyMon
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

My wife and I are relatively new to the All-Inclusive resort scene, but we have been two Bahia Principe properties before our recent trip to Couples Swept Away. We wanted someplace a little more intimate that BP and something where children would not be under foot all the time. CSA fit the bill and then some. I'd have to say it was the best experience we've had so far.

First of all, the people of Jamaica are exceptionally warm and friendly. We made friends with everyone we met and enjoyed the hospitality they brought to their work. As for the accomodations, the rooms and the views were spectacular (we had a Beachfront Verandah room....highly recommend the extra cost) and really didn't mind that we were on the third floor. The views of the Caribbean were just spectacular. The food was extraordinary. We ate at the gourmet restaurant twice (Feathers) and were impressed not only with the quality of the food but their willingness to address my wife's food allergies. The Thai restaurant was equally amazing. Probably the best pad thai I've ever had. Then of course there are the buffetts, and the quality (and quantity--whoa!) of food at the Palms was equally impressive.

As for entertainment, my wife and I are pretty sedentary people especially later at night, so we never really availed ourselves of the nightlife at the Bahias. Here however, we took the advice of many TA posters and went to see Ultimate Chocolate in the piano bar, just to see what he was like. We not only wound up staying until he finished, we went back two more times. The combination of his electric piano virtuousity and his wonderfully charming and entertaining style is not to be missed. Try your luck at his "battle of the sexes" night on thursday, where you engage in friendly contests over naming his songs with only one chord to work with. This sort of entertainment may seem tame to younger audiences, but anyone who appreciates good music and musical talent will enjoy seeing Ulti....don't miss him.

I think we've found a home away from home at CSA....we've already been trying to figure out when we can return next year. I highly recommend it to everyone...but especially to those who want a more intimate atmosphere away from the little ones. Go, enjoy; you won't be disappointed.

9 Thank uncleagt
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

We went to Couples Swept Away March 14-21, 2008

Having not gone on a real vacation since we met, 19 years ago, and spending literally weeks researching resorts all over Jamaica, my wife and I decided on CSA for our “16 years after the fact” honeymoon. The bottom line up front is that is was absolutely spectacular, we would recommend it to anyone and we can’t wait to go back!

The bad: Be careful going anywhere in Negril during the US college spring break. There was a crazy, super-loud concert about a ¼ mile down the beach the night we arrived. It was so loud, it sounded like the “band” (and I say that because it just sounded like a bunch of screaming to me) was actually on my balcony. They literally played until dawn. I realize that this had nothing to do with CSA, but it was a hellish first night.

The good: The concert was a one time deal and we spent the rest of the week in a perpetual state of relaxation and romance.

- The room: We stayed in room 2230, beachfront suite. I cannot say enough about it. We loved the open, louvered window concept and the huge balcony, literally steps from the beach. We spent many an hour just relaxing there watching the many couples in love walk by and enjoying drinks from our fully stocked mini-bar. The accommodations are so private at CSA. You really feel alone and so tranquil. We looked all up and down the beach at other resorts and they just seem so crowded together – even more expensive places like Sandals. The room was always clean, the bar always stocked and the staff always so friendly. A big thank you to our maid Nadine!!

- The grounds: Everything was exquisitely manicured and clean. A small army of employees are constantly taking care of this place. You can walk in any direction and everything is so beautiful and well thought out.

- The beach: Simply the best beach in Negril. My wife and I walked the entire stretch and nothing compared. We never lacked for space. There was always a chair available and we loved that the cushions could be used as floats. The security guys take great care of you and nobody bothers you. The beach bar was quick; the staff was friendly and the drinks were tasty and plentiful. The water was so incredibly clear and warm. CSA has a crazy amount of all included water sports that I did my best to take advantage of: water skiing/knee boarding/wakeboarding, hobie cats, windsurfing, sea kayaking, paddle boat, sunfish. Awesome! And the guys are really cool, showing you how to do everything if you don’t know. We also went on the glass-bottom boat (included) and saw an enormous stingray! The guide was hilarious. You can also go snorkelling and/or scuba if you want, but we just wanted to chill. One day we rented a jet-ski (just off the resort) for an hour and cruised around to Rick’s and the cliffs area. Very cool and less crowded than the daily party boat that takes guests over there for free.

- The restaurants: Absolutely top notch! Everything was fresh and delicious. We would generally get a small continental breakfast delivered to the room around 7:00AM, get dressed and go get a hot breakfast either at The Palms (buffet) or Patois Patio (a la carte). The menu at Patois was awesome. Be sure to try the Caribbean Eggs Benedictine if they have it on the menu! Lunch was either buffet at the Palms or a burger/jerk sandwich at the Grill. Dinner was a la carte at both the Palms and Patois. Excellent! We prefer Patois for eating, but the Palms is more lively afterwards, with live music and dancing. We also ate at the Lemongrass, which served up some great Thai food. My only complaint there would be the selections of wine. The house wine (a decent Chilean Cab) got a little old after a while and the other selections were way over priced. A truly minor gripe though. They also have a great martini bar at the Palm with dozens of delicious selections. We went to the piano bar to see the pianist we read so much about in other reviews. He was great and we ended up playing “Name That Tune” in a big group.

- The people: Everyone at the resort and around Jamaica in general was absolutely great! They were always smiling and we really loved the accent. We walked the beach everyday and visited several little local shops. Be sure to visit Carlene, just about 50 yards South of the resort, if you want to buy local jewellery (which we surely did too much of)!

Conclusion: I have certainly gone on long enough, but I could say so much more about this absolutely dream vacation spot. If you want to really connect with your loved one and just have a truly pampered relaxing vacation, chose Couples Swept Away. You won’t regret it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank joanpotvin
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

Me and my boyfriend (21 and 27) spent at Couples Swept Away 10 days and didn´t want to leave. We were just amazed by this hotel. Very nice staff, beautiful beach with guards who permit the beach vendors to go there, but if they are intrusive they send them away. Great restaurants with tasty meals. Our favourite was The Patois Restaurant, we were there almost every breakfast and the most of dinners. Feathers was also good but too posh for us and there was so cold because of the air-condition. The Palms didn´t captivared us so much, but it touched it up by a wonderful buffet which was there just one day and was much better than the every-day one. Then there is Lemongras, which is thai, and is good, but we are just not used to thai food, so it´s not their fault we didn´t liked it so much. Bars are also great, you can even order just "something" and they give you really very good drink. I tried lots of coctails and there were just few I didn´t like. There is also the Aura Lounge Bar, don´t forget to go there. Every night except Sundays there is Blazing Piano. The pianist is such a funny guy. He either plays the beginning of some song and you have to guess what it is or from where it is, or myou can just sing with him some songs, he gives you the lyrics and you can even sing with the microphone if you have the courage to do so;-) The garden is amazing, every day maintained, with a whirpool, a crocket ground, small lakes and bridges, and you can easily get lost there, but it´s not so big that you wouldn´t finally find the way;-) Now the room. I would like to say that what is written in some reviews here is not true in my opinion. The rooms are very spacious, beutiful, with a really big bed, nice big bathroom and big mirror, spacious terrace where you can relax, they are clean, the maid comes twice a day, once in the morning or during the lunch to clean your room after night and second time in the evening to prepare your bed for night and give you some more towels if needed. I also read here that people weren´t satisfied with a fact that there was no TV or minibar. But do you really need a TV on your holiday? I don´t think so, because there is so much to do in Couples Swept Away, that you wouldn´t have time to watch it, if there was one. And the minibar, well, it isn´t there, but you can bring anythink that you want from the bars, even the food. And are you really so lazy to go there and bring it on your own? But it´s still better to drink it in the bar;-) And some people also wrote that they were dissatisfied with the noise from the street. We had a room near the street and haven´t registered almost any noise. It´s just that if you want to find something bad, you will allways find it, but if you want to enjoy it, at Couples Swept Away you won´t find anything wrong. Now the watersports section. The guys are so friendly and patient. You can try everythink, they will explain to you how to do it and then let you try. You can do sailing, cayaks, waterskying, pedal, snorklling, windsurfing, they have also a glass bottom boat and a catamaran. With that catamaran, it´s a wonderful trip, they take you to the lighthouse, you can see also Rick´s Cafe, then they let you swim in a place with caves, where you can also swim, or slide from the boat, and then they take you back with a beautiful sunset. We saw also some dolphins on this trip.
We also rented a car on our holiday even if it´s not recommended by some travel agencies. But it´s true that Jamaican drivers are crazy. We rented an island cruiser, it´s a cute cabriolet and we went even to Blue Mountains, which are so beautiful, we were in a local restaurant just near the road and the people were also very nice and gave us a really big portion of food just for 10 dollars for both. We went also to The Pelicans Bar, I really recommend this, you can´t miss it. It´s a bar in the sea, the owner, Floyd, built it by himself, you have to reserve it in advance, and he will give you a wonderful fresh lobster which he would catch for you that day. This was the best meal I have ever had. And a wonderful experience.
This holiday was the best I have ever had and I would recommend it to everyone.

17 Thank Monca77
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

We stayed at Couples Swept Away for two weeks in April '09 and it exceeded our expectations in every way. The grounds are stunning, the food is amazing, the beach is spectacular and the facilities are first class. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and there wasn't any sense of 'hierarchy' that you get with some guests in other resorts.

We were so glad to get married there during our stay. The wedding team on site were amazing (despite our previous poor experience with Thomson Weddings in the UK) and the on-site photographers (Aquasun) did a brilliant job!

I'd recommend the resort to anyone who wants to sample Jamaica, witness some truly stunning sunsets, enjoy a few watersports and be truly pamperred for a holiday. As they say over there... "Nooo problem, mon!"

5 Thank JMFinch
Portadown,Northern Ireland,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

The hotel and staff were absoloutely fantastic.The food was prepared to an excellent standard every day at every mealtime.The choice of restaurants was excellent though definetely make sure you visit the Lemongrass thai one.Fantastic.The whole place is based around romance for people looking to spend time with each other so anyone who complains about not having a TV in their room is not on this holiday for the right reason!My wedding was absoloutely amazing and the service we got from the wedding co-ordinator was second to none.The free cruises and snorkling and scuba diving were all brilliant too.My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks and his parents and 2 other family members came for the first week.They didnt want to go home and still talk about it.His parents are talking anout going back next year for 2 weeks.The entertainment was great with romantic movies on the beach,beach parties and talent shows.All in all,I couldnt say enough about this amazing holiday/hooneymoon.I'll never forget it!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
12 Thank pinkychick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!