“Most romantic beach vacation ever!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Nashville, TN
“Most romantic beach vacation ever!”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Our trip to Couples Swept Away was absolutely the most spectacular beach vacation ever. The rooms were gorgeous, large, and clean... and surrounded by lush vegetation or sitting in the sand, steps from the ocean. The food was fresh, creative, inspired, delicious. Our favorites for lunch were Sea Grapes or the Palm. The fresh snapper, veggies, and sweet potato chips were so tasty and the made to order Chicken Caesar salad at the Palm was better than any 5 star restaurant! Our favorite dinners were found at LemonGrass (SCRUMPTIOUS) and the Friday night beach party (authentic Jamaican food). I prefered The Palm's variety for breakfast, my partner prefered a lighter breakfast of room service fruit and coffee delivered to the room. Actually, I enjoyed both, every morning. Ha. The service was unsurpassed. The staff were always helpful and catered to our every need. Too many to list here, but be sure I named our favorites on the comment card! They were the reason the vibe is so relaxing and peaceful. The beach was the most beautiful I've ever seen, and I've seen alot. In fact, we never got in the pool once. The sailing, snorkeling, and catamaran cruises that were all included, were fantastic! We loved having the option to lay on the beaches all morning, have lunch, and go sailing on a whim, just the two of us. For free. And the local Jamaicans down the beach made the trip even more memorable than imaginable. We loved walking down (facing the ocean, turn left) the beach and even had a drink at a local bar/house for rent with a tree swing in the front. Our overall experience was incredible.

We have always loved to travel and explore the world, seeing new cities and new cultures, but this trip has actually made us want to return to the very same resort and have this very vacation over and over again... It was supurb.

Oh, we went for 5 days and returned Easter Sunday (April 12, 2009). We highly recommend flying TimAir's 15 minute flight directly to Montego Bay, especially on your last day... it gave us 2 more hours at CSA and great views of Jamaica from the air. Worth every penny.

19 Thank MissPlanner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 May 2009

We took our first trip to Jamaica and our first all-inclusive vacation over Inauguration Weekend (1/16 - 1/20) to get away from the crowds in Washington, DC. Never have I been so impressed with my accommodations! I could spend hours writing a glowing review of Swept Away and still not do it justice...

Just got back from another all-inclusive stay in Mexico, and after staying here I'm afraid the standards Swept Away established will be hard to meet at other resorts.

Location: A bit of a haul from the airport, but Swept Away has a lounge in the terminal where staff hand you beers while you wait, and your shuttle driver makes sure you stay liquored up along the trip with stops to a roadside beer stand. When you get there, no need to leave the resort unless you want to check out the famous Rick's Cafe, known for it's cliff diving -- everything you'll want and need is on-location at Swept Away.

Food: Excellent. Filet mignon at Feathers is amazing. Lobster night is a must, no matter which restaurant you choose. Everyone vies for the two restaurants that require reservations (Lemongrass and Feathers), but the Palms impressed us with their food options every time and we actually preferred eating there. Palms is also the best for breakfast and lunch. Sea Grape has an amazing Caribbean take on sushi and superb avocado soup.

Service: Unparalleled. Staff are friendly, helpful, and honest. Made our vacation exponentially more enjoyable. When you're on the beach, they bring you a little flag that you raise when you want them to bring you a drink or some food from Sea Grape. I think I miss that the most...

Rooms: Freaky mirror set up over the bed (we laughed about how it made it look like a face), but 2nd floor room was the best. Patio opened up to a lush green canopy, shower was fantastic, and room was always immaculately clean.

Beach: Modest but beautiful. Powdery white sand, warm calm waters. There are guard towers along the beach that are intended to discourage those who are not guests from crossing onto the resort campus. However, a few peddlers have "agreements" worked out with the guards to walk the beach unhindered, and you'll be asked 10 - 20 times a day (and often by the same person) if you'd like to buy some weed or trinkets that the peddler "made himself". A simple "no thanks" is usually enough, and often times these guys are really friendly and enjoy just chatting with you about Jamaica and its culture.

Activities: All free on site! Loved the snorkeling excursions and windsurfing... unfortunately the current was too strong for kayaks when we were there. Do the catamaran trip to the caves but watch out as the waves there can cause you to slam into the rocks if you aren't careful. Beach chair cushions double as floats in the water at the resort -- brilliant. Movie night on the beach The guests at SA tend to be married or honeymooning couples, and on average a little older (40s, 50s) but we found a few 20 and 30-somethings to hang out with. We didn't really go to the nightclubs or casino at all as the staff said they catered to the older crowd and we probably wouldn't find them all that exciting. I was fine drinking at the beach bars with the staff or on my room balcony with the boyfriend :)

We will DEFINITELY be coming back. No doubt about it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Alexis M
Chicago
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The bus ride to and from was more exciting than any other roller coaster ride I've been on. The roads are narrow and the drivers are insane. It was funny because all you hear about Jamaicans is they are all about respect. Yeah they don't respect a damn thing when it comes to driving. It's kill or be killed. Couples swept away was very nice. We stayed in the new part of the resort. we had a stocked bar in the room. Great views of the ocean. The landscaping of the property was amazing. the beach was perfect. Dotted with palm trees that provide shade for those that did not want to fry in the blazing sun. the beach was also dotted with beach bars. You can take a flag with you out to the beach and when your ready for another drink you simply jam the pole into the sand and one of the staff will come out and take your order. They also have someone walking around offering you a cold scented wash cloth and fresh fruit. They only thing I didn't care for was the constant harassment once you stepped off CSA property I could do without that. people wanting to sell you everything you could possible imagine. I would have like to walk the beach but you really can't enjoy it because of the wolves. We took the shopping excursion offered by the resort and as soon as you walk into a store you have someone hounding you to buy this or buy that. you can't simply browse in the store with out someone noticing what your looking at and then approaching you with the sales pitch. We stayed mostly on the resort property and believe me they have a lot of property. with all the trails it's easy to get lost. CSA has everything you could possible want and more. The staff have one purpose and one purpose only and that is to make your stay the most memorable and pleasant vacation you ever had. I'd have to say they do a good job. I did notice a few guests being impatient with the staff and to be honest some times you have to wait but in the end you are on vacation and time has very little meaning. the resort operates 24/7 and I do mean 24 hours a day. I never made it past 11pm . my wife and I set up at the pool bar earlier and we just let the day and the stress slip away as we were surrounded by sights and sounds and people doing the same.

8 Thank bernatzt
St. Louis
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We returned to Swept Away last week and it was one of our best trips there ever. We arrived near two in the afternoon at Sangster Airport in Montego Bay and after a bit of confusion with the luggage we were off to the Couples lounge and that first “Welcome home mon” and a cold Red Stripe or two.

We just missed the shuttles that were leaving by a minute or so, but it was no problem. We sat back and relaxed and soon we were off to Swept Away. It was pouring rain when we landed and that had some to do with the luggage issues at the airport and the road to Negril had a lot of water on it and the bus ride this year took a lot longer than we had experienced before.

There is no better feeling than when you step off the arrival bus and the first thing you hear is I remember you mon welcome home. We received our glass of champagne and went to check in and everything went very quick and smooth. We received our Romance Rewards check at that time and the rest of the package came a bit later to our room.

To once again see all the smiling faces we know and to receive a warm welcome home and hugs by many of the staff is just another reason we just can’t see going to anywhere other than Swept Away for our vacation.

We stayed in a Beachfront Veranda Suite this year and we were taken to it very quickly after check in. What a wonderful view from the third floor. Because it was late afternoon / early evening we went to Seagrapes for a snack of chips and dip because we had the repeat guest dinner that night. The chips and dip are still are good as ever.

After the snack we went to the room to unpack and get ready for the dinner that night and much to my surprise I had not packed my long pants for dinner at Feathers. DOH !!! first time I have done that. So it was off to the logo shop and I bought a pair at a very nice price.

The Managers Cocktail Party was very nice with all the snacks available and if your drink of choice wasn’t there it probably isn’t available..lol. We met many old friends at the party and made some new ones there too.

The dinner itself was wonderful. From start to finish we were very pleased with the meal presented to us.

For those of you that have been to Swept Away what can I say about the beach that hasn’t been said. It was large as ever with just a tad bit of erosion at the middle toward the north end, but no more than last year. Loungers and floats were all over and a lot of the floats were being replaced when we were there.

To lie on the beach and fall into the vibe there is so special. You hear the sounds you know: the waves breaking, the vendors and musicians going up and down the beach, the ever present cigarette man, the man with the megaphone advertising the hot hot hot reggae party, and of course Elvis.

Elvis was well, but said the economy has had it’s effect on the vendors on the beach because as folks were still coming to the resorts they were spending less on offsite shopping and activities.

During the week we dined at all the restaurants and all were good. The Patois Patio seemed to be our favorite one this year and the service there was excellent both for lunch and dinner. That was probably due to our room location being on the south end of the resort and at time we just didn’t want to walk to the other end for dinner.

Lemongrass was very good although I found it to be a tad less spicy than before, but that was fine. We enjoyed a very nice meal there.

We had lunch at the Cabana Grill and the jerk chicken plate and sandwich were the best I have had at Swept Away. It had some real zip this year. The lack of the media noche sandwich from previous years was a bit of disappointment to me and I hope it finds it’s way back to the menu.

The food at Feathers was outstanding, however I found the service to be a bit lacking from earlier years. The flair that was once part of the dining experience was not there and after waiting 25 minutes for an after dinner coffee we just left without it. This was the only negative thing in dining we had all week.

If you like an omelette for breakfast you have to go see Nicholas at the Palms. What a great guy and will fix you up real quick with items you select.

The food at the Friday night beach party was so varied and good you probably could not try it all. I had the jerk chicken and pork and pepper shrimp and was really happy with it. We didn’t stay for much of the show as we had seen the show before and were just a tad tired that night.

We visited Ultimate at the piano bar a night or two and he is still the great entertainer. We did not stay for the entertainment at the Aura lounge after Ulti as we tend to rise early and after a long day in the sun we are usually ready to rest by the time it opens.

Mr. Philip Ambrosley was still there tending to the grounds at Swept Away keeping them beautiful as always. If you have the chance to speak to him please do, as he is a true treasure at Swept Away.

My wife loved the spa and went there a couple of times and loved the hot stone massage.

We had an issue with our room safe. It didn’t work, no lock on it. While it didn’t get resolved while we were there we just secured our items in another way and everything was fine.

House keeping did a great job on our room keeping it very nice for us however the time each day it was done varied from early in the morning to late in the afternoon. I wish that could be more consistent with the timing.

When we were checking out and getting ready for the trip to the airport, we received our Romance Rewards departure pack, which was very nice for the ride back to the airport.

A location can provide a scenic vacation. Having a staff that makes every effort to give you a memorable time is outstanding. The slogan in Jamaica “once you go you’ll know” definitely applies to Swept Away.

Mr. Bowleg, you and all your fine staff provided us with a wonderful vacation and we can’t wait to get back “home” to Swept Away again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2009

This is a 4 star resort with 5 star staff. We stayed for 10 days from 11 April 09. The weather, regardless of rare tropical showers on 2 afternoons, was superb and the location on Negril beach is excellent. We had an Ocean View Verandah suite (3214) which was neither a true ‘suite’ (all rooms are called ‘suites’) nor had an ocean view – ‘ocean glimpse’ would be more appropriate. Having said that the ‘suite’ was well positioned behind the widest part of the lovely beach with beautiful gardens and an open jacuzzi in front – although this can be noisy from loud residents bathing/socialising at all hours – particularly those from North America. The beach is immaculate and cleaned meticulously every day. There is ample provision of recliners though there could be more permanent thatched parasols for those who want more shade. Recliners were tidied up each day and the beach environment was thoroughly tidy for the start of each new day. The sea was beautifully clear, clean and safe.

The transfer from Montego Bay airport was nearly two hours and the Couples Swept Away airport reception room, used whilst waiting for other passengers to collect their bags, was pretty basic. Official red capped airport porters are used by Couples staff to handle your baggage then they hassle you for tips before loading your cases onto the minibus prior to transfer. Our return transfer to Montego Bay was 2.5 hours following a tropical shower in Montego Bay, which brings traffic to a practical standstill because, apparently, the roads cannot deal with the quantity of water. We made the check-in with 10 minutes to spare!!!

The resort itself is well spaced out along the coast and road noise is not a problem if you do not have rooms that back onto the road. The gardens are immaculate and replanting and maintenance is on-going but low key. Some buildings and public areas are getting a bit ‘tired’ and in need of refurbishment not just redecoration. Our own ‘suite’ was a little staid but was reasonably roomy and the bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom was large enough but in need of modernization. The mini-bar was excellent with a good range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks including spirits and wine. Ice cubes were replenished, alongside the mini-bar, daily. One small improvement could be the provision of crackers, nuts and other ‘nibbles’.
Wi-fi worked without any problems in our room. Air conditioning was very efficient. Most mornings there was smoke and smells that invaded the resort – this was explained as seasonal and due to local farmers burning sugar cane in nearby fields.

Included tours such as the catamaran cruise and the glass bottom boat trip were excellent. The catamaran cruise would cost you 50 US$ each if booked privately – true you do not stop off at Rick’s Café but it was no great loss. We also booked and paid for a tour to YS Falls, Appleton Distillery and the Black River Safari – all excellent.

The sports activities – sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling, tennis, squash, etc. are excellent. The Watersports Team is superb and muscle bound Maurice is a great guy.

The choice of restaurants is really wide and varied. A la carte dining is offered in all but the Grill, depending on the time of the day – The Palms is the main restaurant and at breakfast and lunchtime offers a very good and varied buffet. In the evening, its a la carte service is very good. The ‘fine dining’ restaurants – Feathers and Lemon Grass are excellent with Feathers just having the edge, even if the décor is a little somber. The Patois Patio is the weakest of a good choice overall. Some previous reviewers commented unfavourably on the house wine available at all restaurants. We live in France and know our wines – both the red and white wines, including the ‘champagne’ (actually a Blancs de Blancs not from the Champagne region) included in the package price, were good. There was no need to look at the wine list and pay ridiculous prices for so called higher quality wines. The house wines were more than acceptable.

The stars of Couples Swept away are the staff. The service is genuinely personal and attentive. We found that calling staff by their name brought added value to the service and, with a very few exceptions, tipping was clearly not expected – as in line with the hotel’s policy. All staff were genuinely interested in your day, your needs and ensuring that you were making the most of your holiday. Reports in previous Tripadvisor feedback of surly or unresponsive staff could not be more opposite to our experience. From Andre, at the Concierge desk, to Maurice at the Watersports – service and relationships were outstanding. There are too many to name specifically but particularly special staff during our 10 days included
- Andre & Delano – Concierge desk
- Rohan, Horace – Beach Bar
- Dayna and Nicholas – room service/mini-bar
- Keith – security
- Phillip - gardener

The weather was invariably very good in the mornings and clouds approached from inland as the day progressed – occasionally a tropical shower interrupted the sun bathing but the weather was so good a break from the sun was timely. Occasionally, we wondered over to the sports complex in the afternoon and found the pool area practically deserted and so enjoyed even quieter afternoons by the pool. On the beautiful beach hawkers were common but not invasive and security throughout the resort was excellent. When we walked along the beach out of the ‘grounds’ of the resort we were always counted in and back by the security team, often passing the time of day about the weather or about their personal Jamaican history. At all times conversations between staff and guests were respectful, yet open and engaging.

One major improvement required is the provision of courtesy rooms for your last day. We stayed for 10 nights, arrived at 20.00 and checked out at 11.00 am on our last day. As our flight was at 1905 we were not to be collected until 1500 – we enquired about a courtesy room but this was not hotel policy, apparently. We had to make our own arrangements for the rest of the day by staying over at the sports complex using the showers and lockers there. This is the first time that we have stayed in a hotel of this quality that has not provided courtesy rooms as a matter of policy. We were not impressed especially as our first day amounted to only four hours when we had actually paid for 24 hours.

An exhibition, in one of the lounge areas, of photos of previous guests who have stayed over 20 times reflects Couples Swept Away’s clear popularity. For us, as there is a whole world out there still to discover, we are unlikely to return in the very near future. Overall, we had a great time, thoroughly enjoyed Jamaica and its people and found Couples Swept Away as a good base for a holiday.

6 Thank Gordon E
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 29 April 2009

We went on our honeymoon!!!! 3 days before you go go to www.couples.com and sign up for the Romance Rewards, you'll get free stuff depending on the length of your stay!
Make sure you have your flight information on you so you can fill out your departure information when you check in.
Bring a copy of your marriage certificate and keep it in your purse or carry on to show them when you check in, you get a free 1/2 hour couples massage and it is heaven!!!
Upon arrival you get a glass of champagne, your information and your room keys.
We got room 4208 a Verandah Suite and it was awesome! It was close to Patois Patios Restaurant, Feathers, the business center, the gift shop, pool and swim up bar :)
All the food was amazing!!! Even the snack bar by the pool which is open until 5AM was great!
You'll have a great time they have so many things that are included it's ridiculous!

5 Thank superbeetle100
Columbia
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I love this resort, the native people and the staff treat you very well. This was our second stay at Swept Away. We are planning to go back and get married on this property. We stayed in a oceanfront suite and it was fantastic! Our Headbord was the ocean (after you open the shtters)! This was truly a "let the outside in" expereince, down to showering and taking in the oceanfront. The furnished balcony was awesome, we could see the sunset and the guest as they walk along the path but most of them could not see us, so it was great for sun bathing. The food is great, the drinks are great and the bar was fully stocked in the suite. There is a club on the property for nighlife that plays great dancing music if you are into dancing and having a great time. There is wonderful lounge furniture in the club so it's like relaxing in your recliner while this possibly wild party is going on all around you. I like to call this also my home away from home. I want go home at least once a year. We can truly go here and take a reality break from life and appreciate the finer things life offers all of us. Not sure if I can stay any place else due to my expectations of the accomdations.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ghop2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!