“Honeymoon from Heaven”

Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Dublin
“Honeymoon from Heaven”
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Myself and my husband stayed at Couples in July 2008 as part of our Honeymoon for 10 nights. I was blown away with how gorgeous this place is.

I was a bit worried initially with the fully inclusive option, as with food I can be a bit picky. But there were so many choices I didnt have a problem. I loved that we didnt need money with us at all... not for drinks, tips, nothing... it was so relaxing.

The beach was amazing, loads of beds and floats for everyone... The restaurants -especially lemon grass and feathers, were also amazing... and our room was lovely and airy and had a lovely view of the complex and the ocean.

I would reccommend this hotel to any couple wanting a romantic relaxing holiday... Id go back tomorrow

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank joeyd79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,426)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Charleston SC
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My husband and I have vacationed in Negril before, but this was our first trip to Couples Swept Away. We wanted this vacation to be just absolutely relaxing - great room, great service, beautiful location. Couples Swept Away definitely delivered.

We stayed in an Ocean Verandah room on the first floor. Not right on the beach but we had an ocean view. We could walk off of our patio, down a short path and plop down on beach chair. Being able to leave and enter our room from the patio made the room feel to us more like a little bungalow rather than a hotel room. We had a full bar in the room - great for a drink in the evening on the patio before heading to dinner.

The food was very good - we preferred Patios over the others because of the ambiance and the menu. It's focus is food with an island flair and the restaurant has an open and airy feel to it. We ate at all the restaurants and didn't have a disappointing experience in any of them - but Feathers and Lemongrass require reservations and we just didn't feel like hassling with that since there were other good choices. We just went when we felt like it!

In order to feel a little better about all the food that we were eating, we did take advantage of the fantastic sports complex right across the street. Even if you choose not to workout, at least go check it out! They have a lap pool, clay and hard tennis courts, racquetball, cardio and weight room, a running track- most everything you could wish for. We did something different everyday which made it a little less painless. Something about working out surrounded by tropical foliage doesn't make it so bad!

We also booked spa treatments. FYI - even if you don't use the spa, there are steam and saunas in the locker rooms down at the sports complex. The spa was nicely appointed and we each enjoyed our swedish massages. The spa's steam rooms have little lights on the ceiling so it feels like you are looking up at the night sky. A minute detail, but one that I thought was very cool.

In a nutshell - the best things about Couples Swept Away for us: awesome room, beautiful beach, and quiet (no kids and no all night parties going on in the rooms). If there are any improvements it would be that the service was sometimes slow. Definitely island time.

13 Thank LilCharlestonSC
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 1 May 2009

We went to CSA for our honeymoon after reading several reviews on Trip Advisor. We went here because we read about good service, decent food, and beautiful beach. CSA delivered on all of the above. We arrived Monday afternoon in Montego Bay. Unfortunately, our luggage didn't arrive at the airport with us and customs and jamaican airport personnel weren't very kind or helpful with this. We really needed some Red Stripes and we got two each in the Couples lounge at the airport and some more at our rest stop on the bus ride to the hotel. After about a 1.5 hour bus drive, we arrived at the resort and we were greeted with champagne. We were quickly checked in and escorted to our quaint garden veranda room. We discovered a beautiful relaxing porch, clean room and bathroom. I did pack a bathing suit in my carryon, which was recommended in case the luggage didn't arrive. We went straight to the pool and got a snack and drinks at the bar. Just a note, jamaican ketchup is weird! I am bringing my own ketchup on my next visit. Anyway, we laid at the pool and relaxed for a while before exploring the resort. Everything was quiet and calm and beautiful! The staff was extremely accommodating and kind. Our five day trip was spent relaxing on the beach or at the pool and eating really good food everyday! We really enjoyed the Palms food and ate there for almost every meal. Patois was okay and so was Feathers. We are a buffet type couple as we like to eat quickly and get on with our day, so the Palms worked well for us. Kemoy, our server at the Palms for dinner, was great! He was so friendly and kind! The only day we had bad food was the beach party on Friday. I'm not sure what happened, but it wasn't very good. Definitely try some jamaican treats and step outside the box! There's a wide variety of food to choose from in each restaurant. All of the seafood was fabulous! I also enjoyed mimosas every day at breakfast! YUM! There was so much to do including waterskiing, snorkeling, tennis, massages. We also went cliff diving at Rick's...watch your bikini top and your neck. Mine still hurts a bit, but it was definitely an experience. The shopping trip to Times Square and downtown Negril wasn't very exciting and we were hassled a bit by the locals to buy trinkets.

This is a beautiful location with lots of activities and pretty good food for a good price. I would definitely recommend CSA to anyone!

7 Thank luluva
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Our trip to Couples Swept Away was absolutely the most spectacular beach vacation ever. The rooms were gorgeous, large, and clean... and surrounded by lush vegetation or sitting in the sand, steps from the ocean. The food was fresh, creative, inspired, delicious. Our favorites for lunch were Sea Grapes or the Palm. The fresh snapper, veggies, and sweet potato chips were so tasty and the made to order Chicken Caesar salad at the Palm was better than any 5 star restaurant! Our favorite dinners were found at LemonGrass (SCRUMPTIOUS) and the Friday night beach party (authentic Jamaican food). I prefered The Palm's variety for breakfast, my partner prefered a lighter breakfast of room service fruit and coffee delivered to the room. Actually, I enjoyed both, every morning. Ha. The service was unsurpassed. The staff were always helpful and catered to our every need. Too many to list here, but be sure I named our favorites on the comment card! They were the reason the vibe is so relaxing and peaceful. The beach was the most beautiful I've ever seen, and I've seen alot. In fact, we never got in the pool once. The sailing, snorkeling, and catamaran cruises that were all included, were fantastic! We loved having the option to lay on the beaches all morning, have lunch, and go sailing on a whim, just the two of us. For free. And the local Jamaicans down the beach made the trip even more memorable than imaginable. We loved walking down (facing the ocean, turn left) the beach and even had a drink at a local bar/house for rent with a tree swing in the front. Our overall experience was incredible.

We have always loved to travel and explore the world, seeing new cities and new cultures, but this trip has actually made us want to return to the very same resort and have this very vacation over and over again... It was supurb.

Oh, we went for 5 days and returned Easter Sunday (April 12, 2009). We highly recommend flying TimAir's 15 minute flight directly to Montego Bay, especially on your last day... it gave us 2 more hours at CSA and great views of Jamaica from the air. Worth every penny.

19 Thank MissPlanner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 May 2009

We took our first trip to Jamaica and our first all-inclusive vacation over Inauguration Weekend (1/16 - 1/20) to get away from the crowds in Washington, DC. Never have I been so impressed with my accommodations! I could spend hours writing a glowing review of Swept Away and still not do it justice...

Just got back from another all-inclusive stay in Mexico, and after staying here I'm afraid the standards Swept Away established will be hard to meet at other resorts.

Location: A bit of a haul from the airport, but Swept Away has a lounge in the terminal where staff hand you beers while you wait, and your shuttle driver makes sure you stay liquored up along the trip with stops to a roadside beer stand. When you get there, no need to leave the resort unless you want to check out the famous Rick's Cafe, known for it's cliff diving -- everything you'll want and need is on-location at Swept Away.

Food: Excellent. Filet mignon at Feathers is amazing. Lobster night is a must, no matter which restaurant you choose. Everyone vies for the two restaurants that require reservations (Lemongrass and Feathers), but the Palms impressed us with their food options every time and we actually preferred eating there. Palms is also the best for breakfast and lunch. Sea Grape has an amazing Caribbean take on sushi and superb avocado soup.

Service: Unparalleled. Staff are friendly, helpful, and honest. Made our vacation exponentially more enjoyable. When you're on the beach, they bring you a little flag that you raise when you want them to bring you a drink or some food from Sea Grape. I think I miss that the most...

Rooms: Freaky mirror set up over the bed (we laughed about how it made it look like a face), but 2nd floor room was the best. Patio opened up to a lush green canopy, shower was fantastic, and room was always immaculately clean.

Beach: Modest but beautiful. Powdery white sand, warm calm waters. There are guard towers along the beach that are intended to discourage those who are not guests from crossing onto the resort campus. However, a few peddlers have "agreements" worked out with the guards to walk the beach unhindered, and you'll be asked 10 - 20 times a day (and often by the same person) if you'd like to buy some weed or trinkets that the peddler "made himself". A simple "no thanks" is usually enough, and often times these guys are really friendly and enjoy just chatting with you about Jamaica and its culture.

Activities: All free on site! Loved the snorkeling excursions and windsurfing... unfortunately the current was too strong for kayaks when we were there. Do the catamaran trip to the caves but watch out as the waves there can cause you to slam into the rocks if you aren't careful. Beach chair cushions double as floats in the water at the resort -- brilliant. Movie night on the beach The guests at SA tend to be married or honeymooning couples, and on average a little older (40s, 50s) but we found a few 20 and 30-somethings to hang out with. We didn't really go to the nightclubs or casino at all as the staff said they catered to the older crowd and we probably wouldn't find them all that exciting. I was fine drinking at the beach bars with the staff or on my room balcony with the boyfriend :)

We will DEFINITELY be coming back. No doubt about it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Alexis M
Chicago
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The bus ride to and from was more exciting than any other roller coaster ride I've been on. The roads are narrow and the drivers are insane. It was funny because all you hear about Jamaicans is they are all about respect. Yeah they don't respect a damn thing when it comes to driving. It's kill or be killed. Couples swept away was very nice. We stayed in the new part of the resort. we had a stocked bar in the room. Great views of the ocean. The landscaping of the property was amazing. the beach was perfect. Dotted with palm trees that provide shade for those that did not want to fry in the blazing sun. the beach was also dotted with beach bars. You can take a flag with you out to the beach and when your ready for another drink you simply jam the pole into the sand and one of the staff will come out and take your order. They also have someone walking around offering you a cold scented wash cloth and fresh fruit. They only thing I didn't care for was the constant harassment once you stepped off CSA property I could do without that. people wanting to sell you everything you could possible imagine. I would have like to walk the beach but you really can't enjoy it because of the wolves. We took the shopping excursion offered by the resort and as soon as you walk into a store you have someone hounding you to buy this or buy that. you can't simply browse in the store with out someone noticing what your looking at and then approaching you with the sales pitch. We stayed mostly on the resort property and believe me they have a lot of property. with all the trails it's easy to get lost. CSA has everything you could possible want and more. The staff have one purpose and one purpose only and that is to make your stay the most memorable and pleasant vacation you ever had. I'd have to say they do a good job. I did notice a few guests being impatient with the staff and to be honest some times you have to wait but in the end you are on vacation and time has very little meaning. the resort operates 24/7 and I do mean 24 hours a day. I never made it past 11pm . my wife and I set up at the pool bar earlier and we just let the day and the stress slip away as we were surrounded by sights and sounds and people doing the same.

8 Thank bernatzt
St. Louis
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We returned to Swept Away last week and it was one of our best trips there ever. We arrived near two in the afternoon at Sangster Airport in Montego Bay and after a bit of confusion with the luggage we were off to the Couples lounge and that first “Welcome home mon” and a cold Red Stripe or two.

We just missed the shuttles that were leaving by a minute or so, but it was no problem. We sat back and relaxed and soon we were off to Swept Away. It was pouring rain when we landed and that had some to do with the luggage issues at the airport and the road to Negril had a lot of water on it and the bus ride this year took a lot longer than we had experienced before.

There is no better feeling than when you step off the arrival bus and the first thing you hear is I remember you mon welcome home. We received our glass of champagne and went to check in and everything went very quick and smooth. We received our Romance Rewards check at that time and the rest of the package came a bit later to our room.

To once again see all the smiling faces we know and to receive a warm welcome home and hugs by many of the staff is just another reason we just can’t see going to anywhere other than Swept Away for our vacation.

We stayed in a Beachfront Veranda Suite this year and we were taken to it very quickly after check in. What a wonderful view from the third floor. Because it was late afternoon / early evening we went to Seagrapes for a snack of chips and dip because we had the repeat guest dinner that night. The chips and dip are still are good as ever.

After the snack we went to the room to unpack and get ready for the dinner that night and much to my surprise I had not packed my long pants for dinner at Feathers. DOH !!! first time I have done that. So it was off to the logo shop and I bought a pair at a very nice price.

The Managers Cocktail Party was very nice with all the snacks available and if your drink of choice wasn’t there it probably isn’t available..lol. We met many old friends at the party and made some new ones there too.

The dinner itself was wonderful. From start to finish we were very pleased with the meal presented to us.

For those of you that have been to Swept Away what can I say about the beach that hasn’t been said. It was large as ever with just a tad bit of erosion at the middle toward the north end, but no more than last year. Loungers and floats were all over and a lot of the floats were being replaced when we were there.

To lie on the beach and fall into the vibe there is so special. You hear the sounds you know: the waves breaking, the vendors and musicians going up and down the beach, the ever present cigarette man, the man with the megaphone advertising the hot hot hot reggae party, and of course Elvis.

Elvis was well, but said the economy has had it’s effect on the vendors on the beach because as folks were still coming to the resorts they were spending less on offsite shopping and activities.

During the week we dined at all the restaurants and all were good. The Patois Patio seemed to be our favorite one this year and the service there was excellent both for lunch and dinner. That was probably due to our room location being on the south end of the resort and at time we just didn’t want to walk to the other end for dinner.

Lemongrass was very good although I found it to be a tad less spicy than before, but that was fine. We enjoyed a very nice meal there.

We had lunch at the Cabana Grill and the jerk chicken plate and sandwich were the best I have had at Swept Away. It had some real zip this year. The lack of the media noche sandwich from previous years was a bit of disappointment to me and I hope it finds it’s way back to the menu.

The food at Feathers was outstanding, however I found the service to be a bit lacking from earlier years. The flair that was once part of the dining experience was not there and after waiting 25 minutes for an after dinner coffee we just left without it. This was the only negative thing in dining we had all week.

If you like an omelette for breakfast you have to go see Nicholas at the Palms. What a great guy and will fix you up real quick with items you select.

The food at the Friday night beach party was so varied and good you probably could not try it all. I had the jerk chicken and pork and pepper shrimp and was really happy with it. We didn’t stay for much of the show as we had seen the show before and were just a tad tired that night.

We visited Ultimate at the piano bar a night or two and he is still the great entertainer. We did not stay for the entertainment at the Aura lounge after Ulti as we tend to rise early and after a long day in the sun we are usually ready to rest by the time it opens.

Mr. Philip Ambrosley was still there tending to the grounds at Swept Away keeping them beautiful as always. If you have the chance to speak to him please do, as he is a true treasure at Swept Away.

My wife loved the spa and went there a couple of times and loved the hot stone massage.

We had an issue with our room safe. It didn’t work, no lock on it. While it didn’t get resolved while we were there we just secured our items in another way and everything was fine.

House keeping did a great job on our room keeping it very nice for us however the time each day it was done varied from early in the morning to late in the afternoon. I wish that could be more consistent with the timing.

When we were checking out and getting ready for the trip to the airport, we received our Romance Rewards departure pack, which was very nice for the ride back to the airport.

A location can provide a scenic vacation. Having a staff that makes every effort to give you a memorable time is outstanding. The slogan in Jamaica “once you go you’ll know” definitely applies to Swept Away.

Mr. Bowleg, you and all your fine staff provided us with a wonderful vacation and we can’t wait to get back “home” to Swept Away again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!