“Just when you think you can't improve upon Perfection.............”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Just when you think you can't improve upon Perfection.............”
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Hi there !! I'm Doreen with Uniglobe Wings Travel in Allentown, Pa .......
I do alot of weddingmoons for both small and large groups to predominantly Couples Swept Away. Well, it was MY turn to get married and I brought 15 of our friends with us, all but 2 having never been to Jamaica let alone a Couples Resort.
I don't know where to begin .....
First of all we are ALL coming back same time next year and the group will be bigger. I cannot begin to tell you how damn PROUD I felt listening to ALL of our friends go on and on and on about how they NEVER ever even DREAMED that they could experience a resort as perfect as Couples Swept Away. It seriously almost made me cry with happiness. There were SO many people involved in this entire process from when I began making these arrangements, starting with Tequila. Let me tell you something.....this girl has got it GOING ON !!! She is nothing short of amazing. Nothing was a problem. everything was taken care of to perfection. You have a wonderful enthusiastic loyal employee in her....trust me.

Debbie the state side wedding coordinator .... AMAZING !! Nothing was a problem for her to find out for me. She was definitely on her game for me as well as for my other weddingmoon couples !!! Tamika and her partner in crime at the resort were like 2 little NINJAS going between weddings EFFORTLESSLY !! I now know first-hand why all of my brides, myself included, are easily put at ease once they arrive there and have their consultation ..... they have a calming way about them and they both exude professionalism. I cant see anyone else pulling off on a daily basis what they pull off. It was 30 minutes until my wedding at 4pm and it was raining.. I mean POURING! ..... do you know what they did for me ??? THE JAMAICAN RAIN-DANCE !!!!! 5 minutes later the sun broke through and I was walking over rose-pedals down the freshly raked sand to my husband to be. Tell me THAT'S not going above and beyond !!!!!!!

Ricardo gave me the exact room that I wanted, right in front of the wedding gazebo on the beach, came to my wedding and reception to meet my friends, and just handled everything to perfection. Howard Senior was there for support as well as Karen Lanigan. All of the important people that I have known for years and have grown to love professionally as well as socially. I felt like a queen.

The food was to die for, the cake was so very special and the cold hors de voures were like a work of art. Every day after our reception, my husband and I were thanked for providing them live mento band music whilst they got ready to go out for dinner ..... you can tell just how much effort goes into everything that everyone does there. It's so damn refreshing to have a place like this that I, personally, can call home as well as bring my friends to each year ...... and, as well, its fantastic knowing that my clients will be treated like royalty.

My sales rep, Mike Tighe, is the BEST !!!! everyone put a good word in for me and everything came together fabulously.
I also would like to recognize each and every one of your employees from the houskeeping staff to the groundskeepers, waiters, waitresses, entertainment, good lord ....EVERYONE WAS FANTASTIC !!!!!!!! I asked to have the e-mails of the most important people in this company so that I could personally thank you, Randy and Gary, for providing me with the best vacation ever !!! I don't think i could possibly express to you any better than I have just how joyous I am and how Proud you should be of everyone involved in the Couples family ...... and I mean EVERYONE !!!!

Thank you so very very much again and please see that everyone who should see this letter has an opportunity to know just how grateful I am for making the most important day of my life the most memorable one. Of course my new husband feels the same. :-)

I love you all very much,

Doreen Bonczek (formerly Cappellini)
[--]

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank DOREENCAPPY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Myself and my husband stayed at Couples in July 2008 as part of our Honeymoon for 10 nights. I was blown away with how gorgeous this place is.

I was a bit worried initially with the fully inclusive option, as with food I can be a bit picky. But there were so many choices I didnt have a problem. I loved that we didnt need money with us at all... not for drinks, tips, nothing... it was so relaxing.

The beach was amazing, loads of beds and floats for everyone... The restaurants -especially lemon grass and feathers, were also amazing... and our room was lovely and airy and had a lovely view of the complex and the ocean.

I would reccommend this hotel to any couple wanting a romantic relaxing holiday... Id go back tomorrow

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank joeyd79
Charleston SC
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My husband and I have vacationed in Negril before, but this was our first trip to Couples Swept Away. We wanted this vacation to be just absolutely relaxing - great room, great service, beautiful location. Couples Swept Away definitely delivered.

We stayed in an Ocean Verandah room on the first floor. Not right on the beach but we had an ocean view. We could walk off of our patio, down a short path and plop down on beach chair. Being able to leave and enter our room from the patio made the room feel to us more like a little bungalow rather than a hotel room. We had a full bar in the room - great for a drink in the evening on the patio before heading to dinner.

The food was very good - we preferred Patios over the others because of the ambiance and the menu. It's focus is food with an island flair and the restaurant has an open and airy feel to it. We ate at all the restaurants and didn't have a disappointing experience in any of them - but Feathers and Lemongrass require reservations and we just didn't feel like hassling with that since there were other good choices. We just went when we felt like it!

In order to feel a little better about all the food that we were eating, we did take advantage of the fantastic sports complex right across the street. Even if you choose not to workout, at least go check it out! They have a lap pool, clay and hard tennis courts, racquetball, cardio and weight room, a running track- most everything you could wish for. We did something different everyday which made it a little less painless. Something about working out surrounded by tropical foliage doesn't make it so bad!

We also booked spa treatments. FYI - even if you don't use the spa, there are steam and saunas in the locker rooms down at the sports complex. The spa was nicely appointed and we each enjoyed our swedish massages. The spa's steam rooms have little lights on the ceiling so it feels like you are looking up at the night sky. A minute detail, but one that I thought was very cool.

In a nutshell - the best things about Couples Swept Away for us: awesome room, beautiful beach, and quiet (no kids and no all night parties going on in the rooms). If there are any improvements it would be that the service was sometimes slow. Definitely island time.

13 Thank LilCharlestonSC
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 1 May 2009

We went to CSA for our honeymoon after reading several reviews on Trip Advisor. We went here because we read about good service, decent food, and beautiful beach. CSA delivered on all of the above. We arrived Monday afternoon in Montego Bay. Unfortunately, our luggage didn't arrive at the airport with us and customs and jamaican airport personnel weren't very kind or helpful with this. We really needed some Red Stripes and we got two each in the Couples lounge at the airport and some more at our rest stop on the bus ride to the hotel. After about a 1.5 hour bus drive, we arrived at the resort and we were greeted with champagne. We were quickly checked in and escorted to our quaint garden veranda room. We discovered a beautiful relaxing porch, clean room and bathroom. I did pack a bathing suit in my carryon, which was recommended in case the luggage didn't arrive. We went straight to the pool and got a snack and drinks at the bar. Just a note, jamaican ketchup is weird! I am bringing my own ketchup on my next visit. Anyway, we laid at the pool and relaxed for a while before exploring the resort. Everything was quiet and calm and beautiful! The staff was extremely accommodating and kind. Our five day trip was spent relaxing on the beach or at the pool and eating really good food everyday! We really enjoyed the Palms food and ate there for almost every meal. Patois was okay and so was Feathers. We are a buffet type couple as we like to eat quickly and get on with our day, so the Palms worked well for us. Kemoy, our server at the Palms for dinner, was great! He was so friendly and kind! The only day we had bad food was the beach party on Friday. I'm not sure what happened, but it wasn't very good. Definitely try some jamaican treats and step outside the box! There's a wide variety of food to choose from in each restaurant. All of the seafood was fabulous! I also enjoyed mimosas every day at breakfast! YUM! There was so much to do including waterskiing, snorkeling, tennis, massages. We also went cliff diving at Rick's...watch your bikini top and your neck. Mine still hurts a bit, but it was definitely an experience. The shopping trip to Times Square and downtown Negril wasn't very exciting and we were hassled a bit by the locals to buy trinkets.

This is a beautiful location with lots of activities and pretty good food for a good price. I would definitely recommend CSA to anyone!

7 Thank luluva
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Our trip to Couples Swept Away was absolutely the most spectacular beach vacation ever. The rooms were gorgeous, large, and clean... and surrounded by lush vegetation or sitting in the sand, steps from the ocean. The food was fresh, creative, inspired, delicious. Our favorites for lunch were Sea Grapes or the Palm. The fresh snapper, veggies, and sweet potato chips were so tasty and the made to order Chicken Caesar salad at the Palm was better than any 5 star restaurant! Our favorite dinners were found at LemonGrass (SCRUMPTIOUS) and the Friday night beach party (authentic Jamaican food). I prefered The Palm's variety for breakfast, my partner prefered a lighter breakfast of room service fruit and coffee delivered to the room. Actually, I enjoyed both, every morning. Ha. The service was unsurpassed. The staff were always helpful and catered to our every need. Too many to list here, but be sure I named our favorites on the comment card! They were the reason the vibe is so relaxing and peaceful. The beach was the most beautiful I've ever seen, and I've seen alot. In fact, we never got in the pool once. The sailing, snorkeling, and catamaran cruises that were all included, were fantastic! We loved having the option to lay on the beaches all morning, have lunch, and go sailing on a whim, just the two of us. For free. And the local Jamaicans down the beach made the trip even more memorable than imaginable. We loved walking down (facing the ocean, turn left) the beach and even had a drink at a local bar/house for rent with a tree swing in the front. Our overall experience was incredible.

We have always loved to travel and explore the world, seeing new cities and new cultures, but this trip has actually made us want to return to the very same resort and have this very vacation over and over again... It was supurb.

Oh, we went for 5 days and returned Easter Sunday (April 12, 2009). We highly recommend flying TimAir's 15 minute flight directly to Montego Bay, especially on your last day... it gave us 2 more hours at CSA and great views of Jamaica from the air. Worth every penny.

19 Thank MissPlanner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 May 2009

We took our first trip to Jamaica and our first all-inclusive vacation over Inauguration Weekend (1/16 - 1/20) to get away from the crowds in Washington, DC. Never have I been so impressed with my accommodations! I could spend hours writing a glowing review of Swept Away and still not do it justice...

Just got back from another all-inclusive stay in Mexico, and after staying here I'm afraid the standards Swept Away established will be hard to meet at other resorts.

Location: A bit of a haul from the airport, but Swept Away has a lounge in the terminal where staff hand you beers while you wait, and your shuttle driver makes sure you stay liquored up along the trip with stops to a roadside beer stand. When you get there, no need to leave the resort unless you want to check out the famous Rick's Cafe, known for it's cliff diving -- everything you'll want and need is on-location at Swept Away.

Food: Excellent. Filet mignon at Feathers is amazing. Lobster night is a must, no matter which restaurant you choose. Everyone vies for the two restaurants that require reservations (Lemongrass and Feathers), but the Palms impressed us with their food options every time and we actually preferred eating there. Palms is also the best for breakfast and lunch. Sea Grape has an amazing Caribbean take on sushi and superb avocado soup.

Service: Unparalleled. Staff are friendly, helpful, and honest. Made our vacation exponentially more enjoyable. When you're on the beach, they bring you a little flag that you raise when you want them to bring you a drink or some food from Sea Grape. I think I miss that the most...

Rooms: Freaky mirror set up over the bed (we laughed about how it made it look like a face), but 2nd floor room was the best. Patio opened up to a lush green canopy, shower was fantastic, and room was always immaculately clean.

Beach: Modest but beautiful. Powdery white sand, warm calm waters. There are guard towers along the beach that are intended to discourage those who are not guests from crossing onto the resort campus. However, a few peddlers have "agreements" worked out with the guards to walk the beach unhindered, and you'll be asked 10 - 20 times a day (and often by the same person) if you'd like to buy some weed or trinkets that the peddler "made himself". A simple "no thanks" is usually enough, and often times these guys are really friendly and enjoy just chatting with you about Jamaica and its culture.

Activities: All free on site! Loved the snorkeling excursions and windsurfing... unfortunately the current was too strong for kayaks when we were there. Do the catamaran trip to the caves but watch out as the waves there can cause you to slam into the rocks if you aren't careful. Beach chair cushions double as floats in the water at the resort -- brilliant. Movie night on the beach The guests at SA tend to be married or honeymooning couples, and on average a little older (40s, 50s) but we found a few 20 and 30-somethings to hang out with. We didn't really go to the nightclubs or casino at all as the staff said they catered to the older crowd and we probably wouldn't find them all that exciting. I was fine drinking at the beach bars with the staff or on my room balcony with the boyfriend :)

We will DEFINITELY be coming back. No doubt about it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Alexis M
Chicago
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The bus ride to and from was more exciting than any other roller coaster ride I've been on. The roads are narrow and the drivers are insane. It was funny because all you hear about Jamaicans is they are all about respect. Yeah they don't respect a damn thing when it comes to driving. It's kill or be killed. Couples swept away was very nice. We stayed in the new part of the resort. we had a stocked bar in the room. Great views of the ocean. The landscaping of the property was amazing. the beach was perfect. Dotted with palm trees that provide shade for those that did not want to fry in the blazing sun. the beach was also dotted with beach bars. You can take a flag with you out to the beach and when your ready for another drink you simply jam the pole into the sand and one of the staff will come out and take your order. They also have someone walking around offering you a cold scented wash cloth and fresh fruit. They only thing I didn't care for was the constant harassment once you stepped off CSA property I could do without that. people wanting to sell you everything you could possible imagine. I would have like to walk the beach but you really can't enjoy it because of the wolves. We took the shopping excursion offered by the resort and as soon as you walk into a store you have someone hounding you to buy this or buy that. you can't simply browse in the store with out someone noticing what your looking at and then approaching you with the sales pitch. We stayed mostly on the resort property and believe me they have a lot of property. with all the trails it's easy to get lost. CSA has everything you could possible want and more. The staff have one purpose and one purpose only and that is to make your stay the most memorable and pleasant vacation you ever had. I'd have to say they do a good job. I did notice a few guests being impatient with the staff and to be honest some times you have to wait but in the end you are on vacation and time has very little meaning. the resort operates 24/7 and I do mean 24 hours a day. I never made it past 11pm . my wife and I set up at the pool bar earlier and we just let the day and the stress slip away as we were surrounded by sights and sounds and people doing the same.

8 Thank bernatzt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#18 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!