“Beat my expectations!”

Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Chandler, AZ
“Beat my expectations!”
Reviewed 13 May 2005

After getting back from Couples Swept Away, I decided to come to tripadvisor and read other peoples reviews. What a dissapointment! I am shocked at what other "vacationers" had to say about Couples Swept Away, if they are indeed vacationers.

I had been to the Couples message boards dozens of times over the past few months waiting patiently for our vacation time to arrive and had high expectations. The great food, the wonderful service, the relaxing atmosphere... finally our turn came. We went from April 23-30, 2005.

Upon my 2:15 arrival, I realized this would be a vacation like no other. Fresh off the bus from Montego Bay, I was handed a cool towel to wipe my face and hands and a very cool glass of champagne. A great way to start! Check in was fairly quick. No problems. We received our room keys right away. Our bags were taken to our room at the same time we received our keys.

Our room was a very nice, clean, cool, second level garden suite. We had a king size bed, a nice sized bathroom with a shower only and a nice sized balcony with a sofa, a lounge chair, and a coffee table. We had an air conditioner which kept our room very cool. Everything we used in our room worked great - the CD player, the phone, the blow dryer, the shower, the toilet and the shudders. We had an iron and an ironing board, but never used them. The room safe was a little small, it was about a 15x8x8 or so box with a removable lock. I admit, I didn't like having to carry a safe key around all the time, but you already have to carry around a room key (on a convenient "necklace"), so no big deal. Our room was close to the main road, so we did hear some traffic, but not enough to deter me from staying in the same room when we go back next year. I've included a picture.

The restaurants were all very good. We ate at each of them. Feathers was an ellegant dining experience. I say experience, because that's exactly what you will do, experience your evening. It takes some time to eat there because that's how fine dining works. We had an 8:30 reservation, but in our excitedness we ended up over in the sports bar around 6:30 for cocktails. We let Feathers know that in case someone cancelled their earlier reservation, we would like to eat sooner. We were seated at 7:40. The menu had a few different choices. The food was excellent. We left at 9:45, not due to slow service - that was excellent.

I personally didn't care for the Veggie Bar as I don't like vegetables, but they do serve unique chips and salsa that was good and great jerk chicken. Lemongrass was also very good. I'm a picky eater so I don't stray too much from the normal steak and potato, but I tried the teriaki chicken and it was fabulous! The buffet style breakfasts and lunches served in the main dining room never left me hungry. Great varity of different things to eat. All good.

The entertainment was okay. I didn't go there for the entertainment, so there was nothing to be disappointed about. The best night of entertainment was by far the beach party. It was great. Music, dancing, fire eating, limbo. All good!

The beach is the best I've been to. All white sand. It was a little smaller than I expected - the beach only extended out to the sea about 100 feet or so. I heard that Ivan did a number on their beach, I couldn't tell. The beach extends widthwise for what seems to be forever. From what I could see each time I went out on the dive boat and on different excursions on the water, Swept Away had the longest beach. I was very impressed with the whole property. I've included a picture.

The staff is wonderful. I never once walked by a staff member who didn't smile the biggest smile and say good morning, or hello, something. I'm not typically a nice person and I found myself smiling a lot more than usual.

The activities kept us busy. Scuba was included and that was important to me. I dove six times the week I was there and availabilitywise, could have gone much more. The dive boat never had more than 10 people. The divemasters were fun and showed us a lot of "stuff". The hobby cats were fun also.

The beach bar was a little slow, but who cares when all you have to do is put a flag in the sand and wait for someone to come by and serve you.

We will definitely go back to Jamaica, Negril in particular. After boating around the bay and looking at the other resorts and their beaches, and the incredible stay we had, we won't go anywhere else but Couples Swept Away!

25 Thank blprestangen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 May 2005

Goodness, I really hate to add my 2 cents but really fell I must.I have read many posts about SWEPTAWAY on this review board and on the Couples mesage board and I need to give my opinion.

The employees at Couples are lazy.They do not give good service unless tipped.

The service at check in was bad.No one seems to care at all.I realize the faithful guests call this laid back.This is not laid back.We paid a nice price for service.We were downgraded from a suit that we had reserved 6 months in advance.They were not willing to try to help us.They were rude.

The employees at the restaurants were slow and not attentive at all.Like earlier posters said,we several times had to do the employees work.

The road to Feathers was ok.Not to busy and they had a guard to help you.I choose not to cross a road.

The bartenders were ok.Not fast but ok.Nothing special.Drinks came a little slow.Might need a tip jar to help matters.

Rooms,grounds and beach were nice.Nothing special.Especially for the money we spent.

I sadly have to agree with the other negative posters.DO NOT VISIT CSA.

Sorry, Couples message board posters but I spoke what you all call THE TRUTH.

84 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North Carolina
Reviewed 12 May 2005

I would have given an excellent review, but they failed on a few items. These items are as follows:
- They did not have our rooms right upon arrival. We were suppose to get a beachfront with amenities and we spent the first two days trying to get in the right room.
- They told us they had internet access and we carried our laptops to the resort. When we got there, they only had access in the business center for wireless connections meeting their specs. So we could not use our laptops.
- Service was terrible. You could always get your drinks faster if you went and ordered and brought them to your table. Maid service was often very late in the afternoon.

Nevertheless, the spa, fitness facilities, excursions, and natural settings thoroughly made up for all the shortcomings. If I had not seen the sunset on the first night, I would not have had a chance to enjoy everything else.

I encourage everyone to go to Swept Away and spend as much time as you can on the beach and at their spa and fitness facilities. It is a great way to relax and enjoy those you love.

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank checknc
illinois
Reviewed 9 May 2005

We stayed at CSA for a week in April. We spent more on this vacation than any other trip we have taken. After researching this resort on their message board, we thought we had picked the perfect spot.
Wrong! Service was terrible other than one evening waitress that we met half way through our week. Our Atrium suite was nice, but it needed updating in the bathroom-permanent mildew stains on the shower floor. The ocean was beautiful, but the vendors hitting you up every 1/2 hour to buy something was annoying. I was approached to buy drugs daily and even with the security guard standing 10 feet away. Food was just average. Nightly dinner always took at least 2 hours due to slowness of staff and length of time between courses. Drink service was the worst I've ever seen. Bartenders never even spoke and several times just walked away when there were many people waiting in line. A soda can not be had at this resort before noon unless you know the right person to ask. The waitresses will tell you NO! If you take your own glass up to the smoothie guy at breakfast, he will get you one but it's like a secret that they don't want anyone to know. There are no self serve machines at this resort. Check-in at the resort took over 3 hours since our room was not ready. They kept telling us "relax, you're in Jamaica". That was fine for the first hour, but after that and about 6 people telling us this, we were annoyed. Not one employee at this resort ever greeted us unless we spoke first. They all seemed to just not care. We did notice that repeat guests were getting the royal treatment. I can only assume that they had tipped big in the past. We followed the no tipping policy stated in all their brochures. The only part of this resort that I thought was really good was the water sports hut. They were friendly, efficient, and we took advantage of all they had to offer. It was very easy to just walk up and get a Hobie Cat every day at any time and they always remembered our names. Beach drink service was nice if you only wanted the first drink. After that, it was a long time between rounds and at least 20 - 30 minutes coming back with your drinks. We made the most of this vacation and did have a pleasant week, but we will probably never go back to Jamaice and would not recommend this resort to anyone unless it was a fraction of the price. We travel several times a year to beach destinations and usually stay at all-inclusive resorts so were are not naive and we understand "island time" but this was the worst service and most disappointing resort that we have been to. I can't believe how many rave reviews this place gets..there must be a lot of people that have just not been anywhere else.

86 Thank rat59
NC
Reviewed 6 May 2005

My husband and I were at Couples Swept Away the last week in April. We found everything met or exceeded (in many cases far exceeded) our expectations. From the Couples lounge in the Mo Bay airport to the bus ride to Negril (I highly recommend the bus trip over flying into Negril..unforgettable in my opinion)..everything started off well. Once we arrived at the resort we were greeted nicely and were in our room in ten minutes. Our Atrium room was fine, complete with an oceanview that we appreciated in the hammock. But the real attraction here is the incredible beach. Beautiful, well kept..you could not help but relax. Always plenty of chairs, never sat close enough to another group to hear a conversation (unless I wanted to of course). Uncrowded. In fact, at times it seemed as if we had most of the resort to ourselves. I really liked the older section myself, but keep in mind I have not had the opportunity to stay in the new. I think the older section was nicer for the close proximity to everything we needed..I knew they were ready to take me skiing every morning when I heard the boat crank up! The incredible peace was broken only by the sound of a popping cork every now and then. If you want to truly get away and relax this is the place for you. Only negatives: its so hard to leave and you will come back spoiled.

23 Thank jenn_sam
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 May 2005

Our party of 8 visited CSA the second week of December 2004...
Had uncessary problems at the get go..

#1..Couples lounge is small,well used and has employees that do not give good service must less great service..Three members in our group had to ask two times before we got a drink at the Couples lounge at the airport.
#2..Check in at the resort was SLOW..Staff seemed to care less..Were not service minded..
#3..One hot tub was broken and stayed broken all week..No one worked on it..It just happened to be the one closest to our room..
#4..To much noise and ugly construction..We did not pay to look at or hear this..
#5..Bartenders were really SLOW..Really slow..A tip placed in the right place helped but we read no tipping allowed..RIGHT!
#6..Food was so so..Breakfast was the best meal but again, slow or no service..Asked several times for an item and usually got it half the time..
#7..Stayed in the old rooms and they stunk..Complained about this and was told, you are in Jamaica!!
We agree with the earlier poster..Couples message board posters are very misleading..How about liars??

We will never return to any Couples resorts..

• Stayed December 2004
84 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 6 May 2005

We thought CSA was the perfect place for our honeymoon. We had very high expectations and they were exceeded. We stayed in a Beachfront Suite and it was so wonderful to be right on the beach. We were in one of the rooms with a smaller balcony, but that was okay. We found the beds very comfortable and had no problems with water pressure or heat, even right before dinner time. Our room looked right over the beach and it was so relaxing to hear the waves at night.

I have traveled quite a bit and I thought the resort, in general, was one of the nicest I've ever been to. The grounds were kept clean, the beach was big and beautiful, and there were so many activities included in the price-- waterskiing, snorkeling, scuba diving! Plus their sports complex looked really great (although my husband and I had no interest in using them ourselves!!)-- tennis, raquetball and squash courts, an olympic sized pool.

The staff was incredible. Everyone was nice and served us with a smile. Yes, sometimes service was slow-- but as everyone reminds you, you're on Island Time, mon! Relax and enjoy your surroundings... Clyon at the martini bar was exceptional. I already miss his chocolate martinis, they were sooo good! He knew which drinks my husband and I liked by our second night there and we enjoyed going up there every night for a drink and a chat. Marshall was our snorkeling guide and he was so knowledgable. He'd identify different fish, coral, and plants for everyone. He brought up sea urchins, cucumbers, shells and more for us to see from the bottom of the sea. Josh was our scuba diving instructor and he was so patient and really took the time to make sure we all knew what we were doing and kept us safe. Ultimate Chocolate at the piano bar was amazing! He knew every single song and we had fund during the singalongs and also during the Guys Vs. Girls "Name this Song" game he played one night (I kicked butt at it!).

The food, overall, was pretty good. Feathers was amazing! My husband grew up on a farm in MN and still thouht the beef at that restaurant was the best he'd ever had. We also thoroughly enjoyed the coconut panna cotta there-- yum!! Lemongrass was pretty good-- I really liked the noodles with chicken, but I wish they changed up the menu more- it was the same every night. The breakfast buffets were excellent-- anything you could ever want was available: pancakes, waffles, made to order omelettes, eggs, fresh fruit (I love papaya and mango!), pastries, bagels, toast, you name it! Most of the dinner buffets were pretty good as well, but nothing too outstanding. I definitely made my share of trips to the dessert tables-- the banana fritters on the night of the beach party were delicious!

The guest coordinators/entertainers were never pushy about activities going on but always made sure you knew what was happening and seemed very sincere in getting to know the guests. We particularly enjoyed meeting Deborah and Alex and Richard. One night there was a beach party with a huge buffet, live music-- reggae and an amazing steel drum band, contortionists, fireaters and more. It was very fun and so nice to eat right on the beach there. They had the disco that night as well, across the street and it stayed going until the last person left. The movie on the beach looked cool, but we weren't interested in the film they were showing while we were there. We had fun on the sunset cruise to Pirate's Cave-- the rum punch was really strong though, so be careful!! We did jump off the cliff-- Husband did a great job, me not so much. No permanent injuries but I did bruise my leg a little bit (got a little nervous and must have kicked a little right before I hit the water). It was a fun experience though!

We never had a problem finding a lounge chair on the beach and never had to reserve one early in the morning either. The bugs were pretty bad there for me -- they like me here in MN too and just like in MN, they left my husband alone. I even had bug spray with me!

We received a free half hour massage each for being honeymooners. It was sooo relaxing-- my husband had never had a professional one before and he loved it! I also did the deep pore cleansing facial and loved it. I was so relaxed I fell asleep during it :) We did this our last afternoon there and it was a great way to end the trip.

I think you'd really have to be hard to please to not have a good time at CSA. I've read some of the negative reviews and one, the member from Indianapolis, I don't think he/she was even at the same resort-- literally! There is no swimup bar at CSA (not yet at least) but that was one of the nice things there? Doesn't make sense. I can see why people go back time after time-- we were already planning our next trip during our first day there! Even the guests we met were great-- we met people from Northern Ireland, Austria, Chicago, WI, MI, FL and all were so nice and friendly. I highly recommend this resort and cannot wait for us to be able to go back.

24 Thank MNHoneymooner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!