After getting back from Couples Swept Away, I decided to come to tripadvisor and read other peoples reviews. What a dissapointment! I am shocked at what other "vacationers" had to say about Couples Swept Away, if they are indeed vacationers.
I had been to the Couples message boards dozens of times over the past few months waiting patiently for our vacation time to arrive and had high expectations. The great food, the wonderful service, the relaxing atmosphere... finally our turn came. We went from April 23-30, 2005.
Upon my 2:15 arrival, I realized this would be a vacation like no other. Fresh off the bus from Montego Bay, I was handed a cool towel to wipe my face and hands and a very cool glass of champagne. A great way to start! Check in was fairly quick. No problems. We received our room keys right away. Our bags were taken to our room at the same time we received our keys.
Our room was a very nice, clean, cool, second level garden suite. We had a king size bed, a nice sized bathroom with a shower only and a nice sized balcony with a sofa, a lounge chair, and a coffee table. We had an air conditioner which kept our room very cool. Everything we used in our room worked great - the CD player, the phone, the blow dryer, the shower, the toilet and the shudders. We had an iron and an ironing board, but never used them. The room safe was a little small, it was about a 15x8x8 or so box with a removable lock. I admit, I didn't like having to carry a safe key around all the time, but you already have to carry around a room key (on a convenient "necklace"), so no big deal. Our room was close to the main road, so we did hear some traffic, but not enough to deter me from staying in the same room when we go back next year. I've included a picture.
The restaurants were all very good. We ate at each of them. Feathers was an ellegant dining experience. I say experience, because that's exactly what you will do, experience your evening. It takes some time to eat there because that's how fine dining works. We had an 8:30 reservation, but in our excitedness we ended up over in the sports bar around 6:30 for cocktails. We let Feathers know that in case someone cancelled their earlier reservation, we would like to eat sooner. We were seated at 7:40. The menu had a few different choices. The food was excellent. We left at 9:45, not due to slow service - that was excellent.
I personally didn't care for the Veggie Bar as I don't like vegetables, but they do serve unique chips and salsa that was good and great jerk chicken. Lemongrass was also very good. I'm a picky eater so I don't stray too much from the normal steak and potato, but I tried the teriaki chicken and it was fabulous! The buffet style breakfasts and lunches served in the main dining room never left me hungry. Great varity of different things to eat. All good.
The entertainment was okay. I didn't go there for the entertainment, so there was nothing to be disappointed about. The best night of entertainment was by far the beach party. It was great. Music, dancing, fire eating, limbo. All good!
The beach is the best I've been to. All white sand. It was a little smaller than I expected - the beach only extended out to the sea about 100 feet or so. I heard that Ivan did a number on their beach, I couldn't tell. The beach extends widthwise for what seems to be forever. From what I could see each time I went out on the dive boat and on different excursions on the water, Swept Away had the longest beach. I was very impressed with the whole property. I've included a picture.
The staff is wonderful. I never once walked by a staff member who didn't smile the biggest smile and say good morning, or hello, something. I'm not typically a nice person and I found myself smiling a lot more than usual.
The activities kept us busy. Scuba was included and that was important to me. I dove six times the week I was there and availabilitywise, could have gone much more. The dive boat never had more than 10 people. The divemasters were fun and showed us a lot of "stuff". The hobby cats were fun also.
The beach bar was a little slow, but who cares when all you have to do is put a flag in the sand and wait for someone to come by and serve you.
We will definitely go back to Jamaica, Negril in particular. After boating around the bay and looking at the other resorts and their beaches, and the incredible stay we had, we won't go anywhere else but Couples Swept Away!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immediately upon entering Couples Swept Away, you realize that you have arrived in paradise. Exotic flowers bloom amidst acres of green—on seven miles of the purest white sand beach in Negril, Jamaica. Dotted among the tropical gardens—open-air cafes, small pool enclaves and fresh fruit oases are yours to discover. Never crowded or hurried, the resort offers an intimate tranquility and when desired, total seclusion. All rooms embrace a quiet elegance with island cedar furnishings and pure white linens. Plantation shutters open onto private verandahs with views of gardens and azure sea. Breezy open-air restaurants engage candle-lit lanterns and billowing white curtains to strike a romantic note. While the pristine 10-acre sports complex encompasses every imaginable activity, the superb spa serves as a haven of relaxation. Couples Swept Away simply captures your heart and soothes your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Priceline, Ebookers, Destinology, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Couples Swept Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Hotel Negril
- Jamaica Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Resort
- Negril Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Jamaica
- Couples Negril