“Well Worth the Time and Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Maryland
“Well Worth the Time and Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

My boyfriend and I went in mid July for about 7 days and we absolutely loved it... As soon as we got out of the van from the airport, we were greeted w/ Champagne and cold face towels. We didn't have to carry our luggage, they take care of everything for you.

The amentities at Couples are great. A full blown fitness room, in addition to instructors to teach you swimming and/ or tennis... Yoga classes, pool table, ping pong, and even a running trail. True athletes and fitness buffs will appreciate the amentities. We worked out every morning... Couples also has a spa, which is very relaxing. The overall sports complex has a rating of 10+ in my book. (The resort even has its own crossing guard to stop traffic to get you across the street)

The restaurant service was great. There is normally one bad apple to ruin the trip, but everyone in the dining rooms was very respectful... Considering its an all inclusive trip, you can order as many things as you want off the menu and they will bring you EVERYTHING... LOL. During the trip, we booked a private dinner on the beach. Our server was very nice (which may even be an understatement)...

A few of the surrounding resorts didn't look to savvy, so Couples is definintely more curb appealing... The location of the Couples Swept Away location is not in a "lively" part of Jamaica... There's Rick's Cafe, but we didn't really see any nightclubs (except Maragritaville)... So if you're looking for clubs, etc, this location is not where you want to be. However, Couples does have about 3-4 other locations in Jamaica.

To wrap up my review, because I can go on and on about Couples, I would recommend this resort to anyone. It's very secure, clean and the staff demonstrates and acts on good customer service morales.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank CarrMel84
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 9 September 2009
Hello and thank you for your time and effort to write about your summer getaway at Couples Swept Away. It was great to see you really made use of the sports and fitness center area. Its the largest in the Caribbean, and very popular with the guests that want to maintain their fitness regime or try new things. And best of all it's all included! Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
hove, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

We’ve just returned from 2 weeks in Jamaica, the first week of which was spent at CSA. We’re both 37 and from the UK; although we’ve travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean this was our first visit to Jamaica.

We quickly got through immigration and proceeded to the Couples lounge in the arrival hall. It’s worth noting that if you are among the first to get off your plane/collect your luggage, you’ll still have to wait for the rest of your fellow guests for the transfer (not too bad – it doesn’t take that long and there is draft Red Stripe).

It took us a little over an hour to get to the first drop-off (Couples Negril) but more than an hour and a half to travel the short distance on to CSA! (There was a mental reggae carnival on and the road was jammed – we were told that this is the norm on a Saturday night in August).

Our room was a garden suite and we were very pleased with it – quite plain but very clean and comfortable. The mini-bar is re-stocked daily and the patio area has a nice sofa and chair for relaxing (we were on the ground floor and had a partial view of the sea). The only thing that could have been better was the water pressure in the shower. We were never bothered by the ‘road noise’, even when we arrived with the big party going on behind the resort. There was decent TV with a wide range of channels to choose from and this came in handy when the rain arrived (lunchtime onwards, pretty much every day while we were there – something to do the geography around Negril? The same wasn’t true at Montego Bay during our second week on the island).

Probably the best thing about CSA is the beach – possibly the best I’ve seen, anywhere in the world – lovely, white sand and perfectly clear, warm water. The floating cushions from the sun-loungers are a nice touch and the flag service for drinks is cool, although, to be honest, you’re never more than a short walk from one of the bars.

All the bars were excellent with a wide variety of premium brands and an extensive cocktail menu. Service was good – we never had to wait for more than a minute or so (although this might be different if the resort is more than half full). I thought the self service area on the beach where you could help yourself to Red Stripe, soda and ice cream was a good idea. The pool bar was pretty lively, especially towards the end of the day when people seemed to congregate before heading back to the rooms to get ready for the evening.

The only restaurant we didn’t try was Feathers (I didn’t have the necessary shoes – open toed sandals and trainers aren’t acceptable, which seemed a bit odd as there didn’t seem to be any dress code at all in the ‘regular’ options – shorts, T-shirts & flip-flops were the norm). The food in general was OK but not as great as many of the reviews here suggest. Lemongrass was perhaps the best but it wasn’t as good as an average Thai restaurant back home. Still, it is all-inclusive and, as I say, it was generally fine. Being from the UK we found the complaints about portion sizes very odd – how much do you want to eat?! – besides, you can always get more, especially when so much of the stuff on offer is from a buffet.

We enjoyed Ultimate Chocolate (a sort of piano-karaoke) and the beach party (re-located into Palms because of rain) was fun with the usual entertainment, limbo dancing and steel drums. The weekly ‘Managers Cocktail Party’ was interesting. We never made it to the nightclub or casino (although having seen the latter I think that the word ‘casino’ is a tad over the top – just a remote roulette and some slot-machines).

The sports complex is amazing and well worth crossing the road for. Tennis lessons are included in the package and freely available but the heat makes any concerted exercise pretty demanding. While we were there we never saw anyone else in the gym, lap pool, jogging track or using the tennis courts (again, this may be because the resort was a long way short of full). My wife did use the spa and said the massage was excellent and good value for money.

We went on the catamaran cruise (pretty good), tried snorkelling (not too impressive) and took out a Hobi-cat a few times after a very brief lesson.

The staff at CSA were mostly very good. One thing that we found confusing was tipping. We were specifically told that we shouldn’t tip any of the staff at CSA but, having read reviews on TA, I knew to tip the driver on the transfer from the airport. Next, I felt the chap who showed us to our room and brought the luggage was expecting a tip so he got one too. Later, on the catamaran cruise, we fully expected to tip the crew and were amazed to see that hardly anyone else did (incidentally, on my way to the tip jar, one of the crew came up to me and said, “You enjoy the trip? Then put something in the box”). My wife wasn’t sure about the massage (some past reviewers have said this is an extra and should be treated as such, i.e. pay a tip) but didn’t feel there was an opportunity to offer anything. I was happy to give football shirts to the staff that I felt were particularly good, especially if they supported the same team as us.

It is definitely worth going on the orientation walk (twice daily, starting at the concierge desk) within a day or two of arriving.

Overall, CSA was a good 4* hotel and we’d be happy to recommend it – there is a photo gallery above the concierge desk dedicated to ‘returners’ (one bloke we met was on his 31st trip!) - but we usually prefer to try new places.

Hope that helps; cheers!

10 Thank max_woof
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 4 September 2009
Hello and thanks for taking the time to write about your recent trip to Couples Swept Away. Your candid and honest thoughts are much appreciated by management and guests. Overall, I was pleased to see you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to welcoming you home again.
North Tonawanda NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

My husband and I spent a week at CSA 19-26 August.
Overall, CSA probably fell a bit below my expectations for the price we paid, but I would stay there again.
As mentioned, when you arrive at Montego Bay, you are directed to Couples Headquarters in the airport. They greet you with Red Stripe, Pepsi, and water as you await your transfer to the resort.
The drive is a good 90 min. if you do not get stuck in construction as we did on the return trip, which took two hours. I rather enjoyed the drive. The driver was informative and pointed out sights along the way.
Upon check-in, the men are told to get the luggage as the women are directed into a posh lobby and given champagne as paper work is filled out. You are guided to the room and your luggage arrives later.
We booked a beachfront verandah suite and were a bit disappointed. The room was on the third floor and our view was obstructed by a large but beautiful palm tree. The room itself was clean but the bathroom was rather tired with obvious wear and tear. We also had a problem with the drain which we had fixed.
Wednesday is crafters day. I bought a nice pair of hand made sandals and some pottery. Definiftely wheel and deal with these vendors. Do not feel presssured. They are trying to make an honest living and I respect that. Just stick to your price.
The booze is top shelf. I do find it interesting that others mentioned the possible 'watered down' booze. Funny, I told my husband the same thing. I am not a big drinker, but to not even feel a buzz after two to three cocktails seemed odd.
The staff here is wonderful. I never felt so taken care of in my life and we have stayed at alot of places. it was very relaxing. Our housekeeper, Beverly, was the best.
I also had trouble with the food. I am a picky eater who basically just wants a nice piece of grilled fish and some rice. Everything is very fancy and you have to ask for things to be prepared a certain way and maybe they will fix it for you. There are six restaurants. We enjoyed The Palms for breakfast and dinner. We did eat at Feathers two nights. The filet was wonderful and the treatment superb. We had snacks at Cabana and thought the food was good and served quickly. Sea Grapes has good veggie entrees and self serve ice cream and soda.
The fitness center is number one. Nice facilites.Nice lap pool and paved running path, treadmills, weights, classes, etc.
Many people who booked here were given credits for spa treatments and the gift shop. We were not.
The watersports were great. The snorkel trips were nice and the dive shop was very thorough in their assessment before they let anyone dive. Yes, it was a bit of a hassle but they are just covering themselves. Shaggy was a great dive master. We also took the catamaran ride and i tried waterskiing for the first time. They were patient. The reef was pristine and the beach was great.
They also have days where you can make jewelry, hats, and baskets. It is alot of fun!
Overall, it was a good experience. Do take baby oil as the 'no-see-ums' are awful! Treat the workers with the respect they deserve. Enjoy the entertainment. Exodus, one of the bands, was just fantastic.
Yes, this place has some areas they could improve upon, but the pluses outweight the minuses.

7 Thank Jeanne-Chiarmonte
chitownshandi, director fo sales and marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 12 September 2009
Hello and thank you so much for your review. Although it wasn't your most perfect vacation, I was please to know that you would go back. It seems that almost everywhere you go there will be positive and improvement items, so your fair analysis and honesty is appreciated. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon!
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts.
East Windsor, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Without a doubt Couples Swept Away was everything my boyfriend and I expected and more. We had been looking forward to our trip to Negril for months, and were pleasantly pampered our whole trip. Upon arrival in Jamaica, we were greeted by the Couples Staff in the waiting area, we loaded up on the bus and took our long journey to Negril. It took over and hour to get to the resort, which really was ok because we were excited. What did make us upset was the severe poverty we witnessed on route to where we were going, which was beautiful. It actually made us feel more thankful that we had the opportunity to go someplace as great as this. Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by staff with champagne in hand. We checked in and were greatly pleased with our room. Our bed was huge, a packed mini bar, that was replenished daily with soda, water, wine, beer, juice and liquor. Our balcony had a couch and table and chair which we sat on all the time while spending time in our room. Our view was of a jacuzzi that we went in nightly with our cocktails in hand. The first moring we were there we had breakfast delivered to our room. We ate out on the balcony and just took in all the luxury of Jamaica. Each day we laid out on the beach and used our flotation devices in the ocean and relaxed. The staff came around with fresh fruit kabobs, cold towels and water. If you were in need of a beverage and did not feel like going up to the bar, you could place a flag in the sand, and a server would come and take you order. In the late afternoons we took advantage of the hammocks that were place nicely between the palm trees and took quiet naps, just enjoying being together in this beautiful place.

Each afternoon we also ate a great lunch. The food was delicious. I highly recommend the fish tacos at the outdoor cafe called Sea Grapes. You could also get a buffet lunch or go to all of the restaurants that were available. Our favorite restaurants for dinner were Lemongrass, which a thai cusine and Feathers, both you need to make reservations for. We also enjoyed the evening entertainment nightly at the Palms. Definitely look out for Clover. We loved her, and she was part of the remarkable staff that made us feel so individually special. One night after dinner we went to a bonfire where a musician played music which was very romanitc and peaceful. We took bottles of wine to our room and enjoyed it in the jacuzzi outside as well.

One afternoon we took the catamaran cruise, which despite the rain, we had a very nice time. We drank run punch and beer and swam in the deep waters of Negril. We met some really nice couples at "Couples" . Everyone was friendly and excited to be on vacation.

The alcohol was great, the food was great, the pools were amazing, but I think we enjoyed the clear ocean the best. I could go on and on forever on how amazing this place was. We are definitely going to be making a return trip and told all of our family and friends what a magical vacation we had in Negril!

5 Thank nbcapece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

The rooms in this place were large and comfortable. They were a little worn and had some water/mildew damage, but I think this is typical of a Caribbean resort. The grounds are beautiful and the beach is nice.

Our first problem came when we tried to utilize the SCUBA diving tours they offer as part of the “all-inclusive”. My wife and I are avid divers, so on our first day we decided to sign up for a dive. We find out we need a signed (by an instructor) dive log proving we have dove within the last year. This is obviously something we don’t have nor were we willing to forge. We were given the option to take a pool refresher course for an additional fee.

The food here is terrible. The only meal I looked forward to each day was breakfast. They had a great fruit selection each morning. The various restaurants they offer are simply enjoyable for the ambiance and not the cuisine. The best dinner was served on the Jamaican food tasting night at the main restaurant. The fancy restaurant has a dress code, so bring nice shoes and kakis for the guys. The snack bar food is somewhere on the level of a little league concessions stand. The mixed drinks are also watered down and nothing but mixes. I guess you can’t expect much from an all-inclusive.

During the summer months, it rains nearly every afternoon. This becomes a major issue when water sports and other activities do not become available until 11:00. We enjoyed the sailboats the most, but when we inquired about a quick lesson from one of the staff, it was implied that it would only be given if we were “generous to him”.

There is an optional “safety orientation” when you first get there. We were told all the things to look out for. This place seemed like a secure place and it was for the most part. I thought it was ironic that the guards in the huts at the beach end where getting high with the locals when we tried to check in as per the safety officers instructions.

If all you want is a place to hang out at a beach, then this is a great place for you, but, if you enjoy activities and good food, I strongly suggest you look somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
10 Thank EnglishTravelers
Starke, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

Some of the negative views had us a little spooked but we were still optimistic because of all of the good reviews. Believe the good reviews. We had a wonderful, romantic, relaxing, honeymoon. We plan to go back and take friends with us. I think people that write bad reviews make 2 mistakes. 1. They are expecting the polish of a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons in their rooms. 2. They act entitled rather than appreciative towards the staff.

Things to know about CSA – All but one of the restaurants is open air. There are plenty of ceiling fans and I personally think it adds to the charm of a beautiful tropical resort. However, people expecting 68-degree air-conditioned dining inside a box will not be happy. There are two types of rooms. The older side was designed to be beach bungalows. There are only four rooms per two story building, screens and wood slats covering windows (no glass), large porches/balconies (some with hammocks), atriums in some buildings, air conditioning, and no TV. The newer side still has the bungalow decor but is more like a hotel room with twelve rooms per three story building, wood slats covering glass windows, smaller but nice porch/balconies, cold air conditioning and flat screen TV’s.

We stayed on the newer side in Beachfront Verandah Suite 3317. The view of the water through the palm trees was amazing. The negative; The room had a few small chips in the tile, a couple of small mold spots on the curtains, some of the caulk and trim work was a little sloppy, and there was an occasional ant on the wall. The positive; The room was clean, comfortable, and had a great tropical feel to it. While the room had minor imperfections, the beach and the resort grounds didn’t. Every morning the sand is raked and any debris and trash is removed. Sidewalks get swept and the grounds are kept looking like a tropical paradise. The water is crystal clear and the beach is immaculate. Two beach bars and a swim up bar at the pool are a great touch to a beautiful property. There were plenty of beach chairs and hammocks for relaxing. With sailboats, snorkeling, water-skiing, kayaks, water bikes, catamaran cruise, and scuba there is plenty to do. The scuba staff is professional and fun. You can walk to the boat, ride to the dive site, dive, ride back in, and be back on the beach in a little over an hour. We didn't exercise while we were there but the fitness center is huge with many tennis courts.

The food was much better than what you would expect at an all-inclusive. I had read that portions were small but I am a big guy and had plenty to eat. I also read that the hamburgers at the cabana grill were awful so I tried the jerk chicken and the pulled pork. Both were great. We enjoyed all of the restaurants with Lemongrass being our favorite. A few reviews said that the staff could be slow and rude. We were friendly and appreciative toward the staff and got smiles and great service in return.

Our recommendations - Tip the beach musicians. They are quite entertaining and will sing a few songs for a small tip. Go on the catamaran cruise and swim at the caves. The cruise is a blast and the caves are gorgeous. Make sure to visit the martini bar upstairs from the Palms where Lemongrass is. The martini menu is thorough and the drinks are tasty. Skip Margaritaville and go to Rick's. Rick’s has live reggae and cliff diving. There is not a whole lot of nightlife so go to bed early and enjoy the beach in the morning before the afternoon showers.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank tw101
chitownshandi, director of sales and marketing at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 12 September 2009
Hello and thanks for your honest and colorful review of Couples Swept Away. I really liked your first paragraph - you hit it right on the head. I often shy away from opportunities to show of the resort in the light of something it is not. I also think that its easy to describe our resorts as what they are "not". They are not pretentious, not mainstream, not high gloss/glam, not large monsterous mega resorts, etc, etc, etc. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Brampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

I decided to go to Couples Swept Away based on the location (Negril, Jamaica) and the great reviews on Tripadvisor.com & Expedia.com. I definitely ended up making the right choice! The accomodations at CSA were comfy, not exactly luxuriously appointed but more than inviting enough to make anyone feel at ease. The housekeeping staff did a great job of supplying clean towels and keeping the room clean. The mini-bar was stocked everyday with the beverages and alcohol that we liked to drink. The restaurants at the resort were good and although the A La Carte portions were small, you could always head over to the buffet at the Palms or Cabana Grill if you still felt hungry. The beach at CSA was magnificent! The sea water was warm and inviting even at sunrise! The staff took great care in keeping the beach groomed and the security that was present kept the vacationers safe. Above everything else, what makes Couples Swept Away special are the staff! They go out of their way to make you feel welcome and at ease all of the time. The outstanding staff members that I had the opportunity to meet were Jackie at the Tour Desk; Latoya and Tracey-Ann at the Cabana Grill; Dane and Shellian at Feathers; Duane Johnson, Fiona, Donovan, Kesha, and Garnet at the Palms; Mackeisha, Tashell, Delroy, Ricardo, Horace, and Mae at the Bamboo Hut. All of these people went a long way to making me feel welcome and relaxed. I would suggest that if you're trying to decide between CSA and another resort, choose CSA because there's plenty of food to be had at almost anytime of day (5 am -7:30 am no restaurants open), I didn't have one watered down drink from any bar on the resort, and the weather/beach can't be beat. Thanks CSA, i'll be back as soon as I can!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nugget319
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Your main point is what we consider the Couples difference and our greatest asset - the staff. They are awesome and unlike other experiences at our resorts and other destinations. Thank you for all the staff shout outs - they will be thrilled to see their names. We look forward to welcoming you home again soon!
Andrea Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,749 reviews

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!