“Absolutely amazing. We all will definitely be coming back.”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Rochester, NY
“Absolutely amazing. We all will definitely be coming back.”
Reviewed 29 December 2009

To sum up, this resort was AMAZING. First of all, I loved how it was not one of those super-tall monstrosities that you see in Cancun or somewhere like that. The rooms were more bungalow-style, with just a couple grouped together, and everyone gets their own private back porch.

The food was great. It was a nice combo of American and Jamaican cuisine. You never had to eat the same things for any meal as there was always some variety. If you do like seafood though, this place cooks some amazing fish. The breakfasts were always great because they had whatever you could be in the mood for: eggs, omelets made to order, pancakes, danishes, some of the freshest fruit you'll ever have, and a variety of real Jamaican breakfast foods as well.

I stayed in one of the cheapest rooms and I was still so close to the beach. The beach and the water there are so beautiful. Even my friend's mom who travels all the time said that this resort had the most beautiful sand and water that she'd ever seen. Each beach chair had a raft on top so you could float out in the water or sit out in the sand. There were bars along the beach as well so you didn't have to travel far to get a drink.

I really loved how this resort sort of caters more to people 25ish and older so there weren't any loud frat boys puking or anything like that. I'm 28 and my friends and I were among the youngest people there. The atmosphere was very relaxed and mature, but not boring by any means.

After dark when the beaches were closed, there's a pool and two hot tubs, as well as a place that serves late-night type food (burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, etc) until 5am. And since it is a couples resort, most people go back to their rooms after dinner so those places were pretty much vacant.

I felt incredibly safe here. I know that Jamaica can be a dangerous place but Couples managed to keep unwanted people out while not making us feel like we were in Fort Knox.

There is a lot included with your room, not just food and drinks, but also snorkeling, a catamaran ride, water skiing, etc. A bunch of my friends took advantage of the skiing, and we all went on the catamaran which was really fun. The only thing we wound up paying out of pocket for was night-time snorkeling, which was really fun and different (and only $35).

It was just such an amazing place and all of my friends who came said they will be definitely going back. It's great if you're going with a wife/boyfriend/husband/girlfriend because the rooms are so secluded and you really feel cut off from everything. But going with friends was still a great time too. Amazing place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
8 Thank getinmybellykelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,447)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Houston
Reviewed 29 December 2009

This will be in your top 5 destination list once you've filled up your bucket list and laying in your hospital bed about ready to cash in. When memories start flashing swiftly before your eyes you're gonna come to a screeching hault and think...."Boy I had fun at Couples Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica"......and then.............fade to black. Don't miss out.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Slee357
Chicago
Reviewed 29 December 2009

My husband and I went to Couples Swept Away (CSA) to get married on December 5th. While I was weary making wedding plans for a resort I had never been to, my worries were quickly dissolved when we arrived.

The staff was nothing short of amazing. The gentleman that brought our luggage to our room, Webba, called us the day after the wedding to congratulate us! The entertainment staff remembered us and used our names everytime we saw them. They made sure to get people in our party involved and even pulled us on the dance floor to make sure we were having fun.

The food and drinks were out of this world. Talk about gormet - I have NEVER had such a tasty Pina Colada in my life. The rooms, the gardens, the beach, the pool and activities were beyond spectacular.

The wedding coordinators made sure everything went smoothly and exceeded our expectations and made it just perfect. I know many brides say that their wedding was perfect, but what are the odds they said "I do" on the beach at sunset.

Lastly, the guests of this resort are friendly, fun and polite. We made many friends while there and many strangers celebrated out weddinng with us while we were there.

My husband and I like to see new places and travel to new destinations, but we will definately go back to Jamaica and CSA.

3 Thank wanderlustfullife
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 December 2009

My husband and I have been to several All-inclusives in the Caribbean, but this one is the very best! The customer service is the best we have ever experienced. Everyone, from the wait staff, maid service, and maintainance staff was friendly and efficient. We choose to have a beach front room. It is a little more expensive, but it sure is nice to walk right from your room to the beach. We pulled the beach chairs right up on our porch. No more having to save beach chairs and drag everything down to the beach. It really is nice. The room is stocked with beer, wine, liquor, mixers, and non alcoholic beverages as well. Even though we were on the first floor near the main side walk, it was very quiet at night. The food was excellent. We ate mostly in the buffet, since, as vegetarians, we found the best selection there. Always plenty of choices, we especially loved the pasta bar for dinner. We did eat one night at the Thai restaurant and it was also excellent. For meat eaters, there are plenty of choices. I sometimes get grossed out at places, but never here. The restaurants, public bathrooms, our room , the grounds and beach were kept very clean. It is a public beach so if you choose to walk you may get approached by vendors, we just said no thanks and went on our way. There are security guards, so we never felt unsafe. We are not late night people, so we did not participate in any of the activities or saw any of the shows, but I can assure you, if was like any of the other features of the resort, it was probably very good. Check out the sports center across the street. We were surprised at how nice it was. Lap pool, very nice area with lots of treadmills, weights, lots of tennis courts, raquetball, exercise room, very nice spa, and juice bar. We just looked at everything. Unfortunately, we didn't partake! Once again, the best part of our experience was the customore service. Like I said, we have be to several resorts, but this is the ultimate experience and I would highly reccommend it. It's worth every penny!!!

6 Thank lainaj7
frank1212dc
Reviewed 25 December 2009

If there's one thing for sure, its that everyone has preferences that show up in the diverse reviews found here. Here is one man's opinion. BTW if background has anything to do with it we are late 40's, from DC area, professional with two teenagers-basically normal college educated couple.
It was our first getaway alone since bringing up our kids. We had such high hopes that we would have chosen a great place. If it had been disappointing, it would have been devestatating as it was our one shot to be alone for a week. The stars aligned and both kids were in camp together. I can say that CSA did not disappoint! My wife and I have very similar ideas of a vacation(thank god). We were looking for an all inclusive(to take the stress our of spending money, tipping, rationing our drinks). We wanted to be as close to the beach as possible with a beach view. We wanted to relax and be by ourselves but still be in an active place. We wanted a place to be romantic and a little naughty, sexy and adult with no kids around. We wanted the food to be good but didnt have to be high cuisine. We wanted good service, a/C, internet, etc. We wanted a beach to walk on, a sunset, and watersports. Basically, we wanted a relaxed, no hassle place to rest and recharge our batteries after 20 years of childrearing, career changes, and a recession. OK, now. pay attention. CSA fit the bill for all of the above. Review complete! Go if you want the same as we did.
As for special memories, the verandah in the morning was great. We'd wake up when room service knocked at 9am and we'd take it out to the verandah and watch the beach wake up. Towels already staked out on the best spots. One of life's mysteries as to how the always were there. Did people really wake up at dawn to put them down? Later, my darling, daring wife sunbathed topless a few times. Very memorable. Taking floaties out near the ropes and did same. Tame compared to C/O but just our speed for a few thrills. Next, the sunsets were great. We took the bottle of wine from the room with the icebucket and sat by the water till the sun went down. Finally, getting drink services at teh beach with the green flags was a treat. Oh yeah, there is a soft ice cream machine near the beach. For us, its these little things that made the difference for us, not the restaurantes, rooms or buildings. The key is, they were fine, didnt get in the way of our enjoyment of the intangibles that CSA offers.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
14 Thank vagabond3025
Las Vegas
Reviewed 25 December 2009

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at CSA last year, and couldn't wait to return for our first anniversary. My only fear was that my memories of this resort were too positively skewed because of it being our honeymoon and all, and that I would have too high expectations this year. I didn't want to be disappointed. My worries were totally unfounded. This year was just as fabulous! Okay, to be honest, the first day, I was a little let down because the room we got wasn't great. Last year we stayed in a beachfront veranda, and we loved hearing the ocean at night. This year, we tried to save a little money, and got an Atrium suite, and the room we got was very close to the road, and in need of some renovation. But I let the front desk know that I wasn't thrilled, and in true Couples style, they moved us into a much nicer room the next day. Still an Atrium, but closer to the beach, and in much better condition. Next year, we'll try to save up for a beachfront suite! Anyway, everything was fantastic-amazing food (I want a Seagrapes cookbook!), wonderful watersports (went diving everyday-the dive team is the best!), the most beautiful beach, sunsets to die for, the friendliest people...I don't have enough time to say how great this place is. But if you want more specifics, just send me an email-I promise to respond. Shout out to Clover - the nicest staff member ever! I'm homesick, and counting the days until next visit already. No place compares to CSA!!!!!

8 Thank tropiclover
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 December 2009

We just returned from vacation this past week. My husband and I can see why people go back year after year. We have stayed at several all inclusives in Mexico. We are already talking about our trip next year to CSA. This is one of the best places to stay for relaxing on the beach, enjoying the ocean, watersports, exercising, and going to the spa. We travel a lot and this place really held up to our standards, and the price was terrific. Well worth the distance traveled from LA. There was so much to do that we didn't have time to do it all.

Big pluses-No tipping and they are very clear about this right when you get there; almost all water sports including waterskiing, scuba diving (my husband had his PADI card already so this was free-they'll also certify you there as well), hydrobikes, Hobi-kat sail boats, snorkeling, kayaks, were included in the price (jet skiis not); 10 acre sports complex, working with a pro for tennis (my husband had 3 30 minute appts. times with one) and time with a personal trainer -all included. Great equipment-Cybex, classes every hour for exercise and for the mind; Swedish massage that was as good as any I've had; Great variety in food;transportation to places off of the resort; computer lab with about 10 computers though the rooms are wireless which was nice fo my netbook.

Room-Initially we were given a standard room which was fine, but it didn't have a TV and mini-bar. We would have survived without it because we were so busy, but it was nice to have when we got upgraded later in the week to a Garden Suite with a TV and mini-bar. If you want a TV in your room, check to make sure yours has one. Our second room was near the nightly entertainment (Palms) and this did not bother us in the least. Bring your iPod loaded with your favorite tunes because your will find an iPod clock radio in the room.

Service-We had terrific service. Everyone wanted to make sure we had everything we needed. If they didn't have it, the staff was going to make sure we got what we needed. The staff was all friendly and helpful. Jamiacans seem to be very happy people and it certainly rubs off on you. They are also very watchful of those staying there. We had gone too far from their view when we took the Hobi-Kat out sailing and they came out to get us when we disappeared from their site. All the service at the meals was great. The Cabana was a little slower than other places we ate--but hey--it's Jamica-no worries.

Food-We loved the food in the many restaurants. We ate at Lemongrass (Thai) twice-everything was terrific, Seagrass (next to the beach and healthy) with the best veggie burgers and fish tacos. We ate at the Cabana a couple of times for the jerk chicken which was excellent. Feathers was a beautiful restaurant with steaks, chops, fish more formal-delicious and excellent presentation (the dessert tree was a highlight-9 mini desserts for two people). Palms had the buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast was good, but I'd skip it to feast on lunch and dinner specialties (churros, fried bananas-Yum..). On Friday, they had a Caribbean Beach Party next to the ocean which had all of the Jamaican specialties and Sat was Lobster Day. Soft ice cream right on the beach--hard to resist each day so I didn't. Make reservations for Feathers and Lemongrass when you get there-avoid Friday because they seem to have events happening. For a romantic evening you can have it by yourself on the beach.

Drinks-Many bars with a daily special drinks and one bar just for healthy smoothies with no alcoholand a daily special. You could have drinks delivered to you on the beach with the posting of a flag. Martini bar, rum bar and dacquiri bar at beach party.

Entertainment-Fun dancing in the Palms with excellent local entertainment. The show lasts 2 hours each night with dancing, singing and dancing lessons to continue at the club/bar lounge if you wanted to. Casino was not busy because of the other entertainment and because of that it didn't pay out.

Beach-beautiful with warm water and each person gets a flotation raft of their own to take out and relax in the water.

Excursions: A van takes you wherever you would like to go. We did not do any excursions except go to Rick's Cafe for the diving and sunset. There was a nominal $15 a person for the round trip.

9 Thank ceisen1037
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!