“Everyting cris wid CSA mon!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Houston, TX
“Everyting cris wid CSA mon!”
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Couples Swept Away was everything my wife and I had hoped for in a honeymoon and more. We had such a great time, we can't wait to go back!

The Airport and Shuttle Ride
The airport in Montego Bay is quite modern and the debarkation process through customs went smoothly. We were quickly in the lounge having a red stripe and awaiting our shuttle to the resort. The shuttle ride was a little over an hour. There aren't really freeways in Jamaica, but the ride over was scenic at times, mostly following the coastline and slowing down through a few towns on the way. A note on the airport, when returning to our flight home, the airport has a decent food court with a Subway, a Wendy's and a Domino's Pizza, there is also a Margaritaville near the back gates.

The Room & Resort
When we arrived at the resort someone was there to unload our suitcases, and a cold cloth was provided along with a glass of champagne. The grounds of the resort are very lush. Beautiful hibiscus grow everywhere, under the shade of palms, coconut, banana, and almond trees to name a few. We had booked a Garden Veranda Suit, and from reading the reviews on this site I had planned on requesting an upgrade. I decided to see the room first and after seeing it we were very pleased with it. Our room was on the 3rd floor and from our patio we could see the ocean between the palm trees. On a side note, at night the sporadic noise from the road was quite loud in our room, however both my wife and I were very exhausted and slept quite well on the comfy mattress. We were very happy with our Garden View Veranda room, there were no bugs except a few sugar ants on the patio, but nothing concerning at all. I was actually quite impressed by the lack of bugs around the property considering how tropical it is and all the open air restaurants and bars.

The Activities & Beach
What can I say, the beach is absolutely gorgeous. Everything you've read/seen in pictures and more. My wife and I love beach vacations, and have been to our share of nice beaches throughout the Caribbean, but this place certainly is one of the best. The sand is white powder and no large rocks to try to cross at the crystal blue waters edge. The water was very smooth the whole time and we never experienced any strong currents.
As for the activities, there were plenty of things available. All the included beach ones listed on their website and then and then an excursion list. I did the deep sea fishing excursion (was $125 per person extra booked at the resort and VERY worth it!) We left out at 06:30 from the beach right infront of our resort and within 20 mins or so we were about 400 ft deep and trolling lures. Our crew (captain and deckhand) were awesome! They made not catching fish still fun. There was an ice chest full of red stripes, bottled waters, and sodas. Luckily, the action got better towards the end of the trip and after a few break offs, we did bring in a nice black fin tuna. We also rented a jetski from one of the peddlers on the beach, it was $60... and we had a great time cruising up and down.
The security on the beach were always visable, and the whole time my wife and I both agreed that we felt safe. The peddlers can be insistent, but the security kept them moving, and if you chose to purchase something from one of them, the security would still come close as to watch the transaction. If you go off the resorts beach, the peddlers are more prevalent, but a simple no thanks does the trick.

The Food and Drink
The food was surprisingly good. Much better than I had expected. You have to try a beef patty and have a ting (jamaican soda). I fell in love with that stuff! As for the restaurants, my wife really liked the choices at the sea grapes cafe. The fish tacos were delicious, and we would have to get some sweet potato chips and their hummus dip! Patois was great for both breakfast and dinner! I loved the banana stuffed french toast. I also really liked the smoked marlin dip appetizer and the fresh made pizzas. We ate at Feathers twice, and I enjoyed the baked snapper, and the shrimp and coconut ceviche. Oh and of course I have to mention the delicious jerk chicken.
Like everyone else had stated, the alcohol selection is top notch and the bartenders don't make weak drinks. The bartenders were all probably the most friendliest of all the staff.

So now it's been 2 weeks since we have returned home from our stay at CSA, and we are still missing it. We enjoyed Jamaica so much, and Couples resorts were exactly what we had hoped for.

A tip, there is a small mini mart directly across the street from the resort and they have sun block for a more reasonable price than the $20 there at the resort. Bring small bills for exact change though, they take USD but will make change in Jamaican dollars. Infact, before you leave the US, make sure you have small bills available.

**Side Rant. Yes, the people of Jamaica are mostly charismatic, but be realistic, not everyone is going to be in a great mood all the time just like everywhere else. Are the airport security bright and chipper at your home airport... doubt it... Yes, the vendors are pushy, but they're just trying to make a living, treating them with respect goes a long way. The resort, and most of Jamaica, seem to be big on conservation and recycling (evident by all the bins for plastic/glass/paper everywhere). Makes sense, it is a small island and resources are scarce and importing is expensive so conserving and recycling are probably a necessity, on that note yes the maids do turn off your AC when you're not in the room, it's called conserving energy. Don't be the entitled American, it's not that big of an inconvenience, the room is small and will re-cool down quickly. And finally, yes, the views on marijuanna are very lax in Jamaica, if you are so uptight you're worrying about what the next person on the beach is smoking then maybe Jamaica isn't for you, I'm sure there is a nice beach somewhere in Florida for you.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
12 Thank z28r4cer
chitownshandi, Director of Sales at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 18 May 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and were able to check out Jamaica by sea. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,438)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My husband and I are frequent vacationers, having stayed at many large bling bling hotels in many beautiful locations. We always rely on Trip Advisor for accurate and honest feedback about potential resorts and locations.
We’d been following the reviews of CSA both here at the Couples website and believe we did our homework thoroughly.

We understood that the transportation to the hotel was an hour and a half, therefore, we chose to book Tim Air which had us arriving to CSA before the other guests even left the Montego Bay Airport. I do encourage ( even if for one way) that you look into this service. It’s an awesome and unique way to see this beautiful country. You don't get this chance any other way. Keep this in mind ..you do not tip at CSA....you have free access to unlimited snorkelling, sunset cruises, shopping trips and so many more perks ,that this extra cost( Tim Air) well makes up for any additional costs that you’d be paying at other resorts!
We did tip the baggage handlers who saw us through to our take off as well as tipping the pilot for his wonderful service.

We understood about the room choices and the amenities that came with each level and decided to book an Ocean View Veranda Suite. A room that has a TV,minibar,all comfort amenities and a balcony with a view of the ocean. Our second floor balcony had a couch, coffee table and chair. If we had a first floor veranda, I would be more apt to sit out on it but didn’t bother on 2nd floor. The room was comfortable, very clean, well stocked and the Maid service was outstanding. Never did we lack for anything.
A future preference might be a Beach Front Suite, in the older, 2 story section on the ground floor. Simply for the ease of stepping onto the beach and not having to play the palapa game.

We understood that the food was fantastic and it was. From the Jamaican Patties to the finest cuts of beef and seafoods,each meal was cooked with passion and with pride. I encourage others to taste unfamiliar foods and fruits...it was simply a feast for the senses and this is one of the reasons we will return here.
To date, I have yet to hear of any tourist, in any location of the world starving to death while on holiday.

We understood the beach to be one of the worlds best...and it is.
Up to the neck in water and still see your toes beautiful in fact...have fun in the warm, calm tropical waters and I hope you get to see the starfish, stingrays and other fish we saw while floating on the numerous pads available for use.
7 mile beach is a public beach....CSA does not own the waters edge and of course locals will try to sell their wares. A simple no thanks suffices, but don't you always come home wishing you just bought that one thing you saw and liked but didn't?
After doing some calculations, we discovered that less than 5 percent of the hotels guests will have access to a palapa.
Since we are early risers....we enjoyed swimming to the sunrise and used the palapa the entire day( I never once dipped a toe in the pools)...please don't be the type of guests like the couple we saw who put their towels out before 5 am and never even used their “reserved” shade until noon.
I wish CSA management would place courtesy cards in the rooms reminding guests that it is not fair to assume claim if you are not there to enjoy it.

We understood that this was a quieter location than some of the other resorts and it was…it was just what we were looking for and we got exactly that.

Great food, great service, a perfect location,…where if you need anything, you simply just need to ask.
CSA was exactly what I expected it to be and in some ways, a wee bit more, yes, we’ll be back ( hopefully in January) simply because, we know a good thing when we see it, and CSA was a sweet surprise!

2 Thank fitzx2
chitownshandi, Director of Sales at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Hello and thank you for your review of Couples Swept Away. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and are coming back in January. A return guest is an outstanding testament to our product. Your review hits on some of the fundamentals for a successful vacation - comfortable room, quality food and amazing beach. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.
Andi Conway
Director of Sales and Marketing, Couples Resorts
Coplay, PA
Reviewed 12 May 2010

I have used Tripadvisor faithfully for the last 4 years....every trip I have ever gone on....it has never steered me wrong until now.

Let me start by saying that I believe that our expectations were way too high....I falsely assumed that it would be Shangri-la because of the sheer number of people who are repeat guests. It is definitely a certain clientele. I will keep it simple...Bad Points and Good Points...

Bad first...
Ride from airport is accurately described...long and dangerous...take a nap, then you can avoid looking at the truly impoverished people as you are about to eat and drink to excess!!!

Resort is very dated....we had an Oceanview verandah suite...great location...smelly room. I am a girl who loves the musty smell of a motel at the Jersey Shore from summers as a little girl....this room choked me!!!! It was bad....they nicely moved us to a second room that was a little better.

The check in people were efficient...not over the top welcoming like I had expected.

Too many vendors on the beach...yes sure you just need to say no thanks however, I didn't want to do it at least 3 times an hour....and i had to tell them just as many times that I didn't "smoke". That was supremely annoying...About 75% of the guests I saw smoked at least cigarettes if not more. (One couple actually smoking pot on the beach 5 feet in front of us!!!) I don't want to seem like a prude....but really?

Minibar could not be stocked as we wanted it...now if everything is included...and they serve coconut rum at the bars....why shouldn't I be able to have a bottle in my room?

Food at Patois and Seagrapes was awesome...everything else kinda mass produced....felt like I was at summer camp.

Rained just about everyday....no fault of Couples.

Good Points:

Beach very pretty in morning until about 1200 or 1300. Not best beach I've ever been at but lovely.

Some of the staff was over the top friendly....they really made of the rude ones (you know who you are mister concierge....piano bar singing ...long pinkie nail) fade away...

Blazing pianos is great....

Nightclub was fun

Internet lounge free and easy!!! Great to keep in touch with home

Best Coffee

In closing...my husband descibed it as "pretend" luxury...on paper it sounded good however living it was a different story....it just came up a little short! Would I recommend it to anyone? It depends on who the person is!!! To my family....no, but to my girlfriend I used to party with...sure!!!

6 Thank love-all-beaches
UK
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We had 4 nights in CSA and then moved onto Royal Plantation - the reason is for our first time to the Caribbean we wanted to experience as much as possible and so thought 2 hotels would do the trick. The travel was abit much - after flying to NYC from the UK for 3 nights first, then flight from NYC to Jamaica, then drive to CSA and then drive to RP mid way - but worth it I think.

CSA - well - we looked into CSA over a year ago - but were abit woried about some comments some people had made about it being abit... too risky lets say - I did my research on both TA and couples board - and everyone was so helpful from day 1 - first feeling - friendlyness! We booked an ocean verandah and although realised may not get a fab view of the sea we knew we wanted a mini bar in the room and a tv. We wanted a high quality all inclusive - adults only as late 20's and no kids and didn't want to be around running kids etc on holiday.

We were abit worried about Couples beforehand and I would guess even before we got there - because we had never been to the Caribbean or Jamaica and knew no one who had been to a couples. But don't worry - if you are feeling the way we did - you have nothing to fret about. CSA is amazing. From the chilled bubbly and cold clothes given to you when you arrive, to the service, the food, the variety, the beach, the trees, the rooms, the people, the sea and generally everything. Its all perfect!

The only thing I didn't like was when we arrived at Montego Bay ariport - I had ead to tip the baggage people so had cash. We tipped the guy who watched our bag as we had a drink, and he then told us to tip the guy who took the bags to the bus etc. We started to feel a never ending tip list. The guy who took our bags to the van must of walked 1 min to the bus and demanded a tip. He did not put the bags in the van (the driver did) so not sure why tip was needed. We did feel we had to - he stood at the bus entrance with his hand out. We tipped a few dollers. Then because 1 couple did not - he shouted at them in front of a bus of people about why they hadn't tipped him etc and really went on. We felt intimidated to see this and embarrassed for the couple. I think this maybe one off - hopefully - but is something couples should address if use these people. We then had to tip the driver but he was not forceful just mentioned once that tips are welcome.

Also for the Management at CSA - when we arrived we went to the grill to catch a snck as late - and were going to have a drink at the bar next to it - but husband came back saying dirty looking - glasses not being washed - saw the bartender pick up dirty glass wash for few seconds under water and put new drink in for someone - YUK! We never had a drink from here - but the others seemed fine. Maybe this could be checked?
Anyway end of rant!

I burnt terrible the first day we were there and the lovely people near us the next day gave me sympothy and painkillers an were so nice. They were from the US and Canada I think - and it was nice to sit in the same spot under the trees in the shade with them a few days in a row. We had a joke and I was surprised at how nice strangers were - this is something we felt again and again in Jamaica - we were positively surprised at how lovely and friendly the guests and staff were.

The food was lovely - we liked breakfast in both the palms and patois p - also lunch at palms was nice. We loved the live music - these guys are very talented and are better than the evening entertainment we had when we went to Royal Plantation. They are truely fantastic! One day we went for lunch at patios ad ordered but my husband became suddenly ill and we had to leave as he was being sick in the toilets - so we needed to go back to our room (took a few hours and then it passed) I exlained to the staff we culd not wait for food and apologised - but they were so nice - genuinly concerned for my husbands health and even prepared our food and sent it to our room for us! Little touches like that made our stay what I wanted it to be - once in a lifetime! Loved lemongrass and feathers - the food was brilliant at both - loved the shared platter at lemongrass - you must have this. Also at feathers - liked it being air con - tok us a while to find it the first time! The lobster bisque was soooo nice there and the drinks. Service was immpecable. We are quite fussy about food and honestly can't say we had a bad meal or drink - it was restaurant quality and loved everybit!

The beach drink service - fantastic - one guy made me laugh - always joking about the way my brittish accent said "water" - always full of smiles and good drinks!

Beach - beautiful - clean - large - inviting! The sea - out of this world! Shade - was worried about this before went - and never did get a palapa - but the shade from the trees was good - more tropical! Did mean we had to keep moving the loungers though - my bit of excercise haha!

Beach confire - MUST DO! Brilliant pictures and so romantic. Cat trip was OK - wished we had of made the snorkling trip - but did it last day and had to cancle as husband became ill that afternoon so missed it :(

What else can I say - if you are new to Couples, or to Jamaica - GO!!!! Now - don't worry - you will love everything! Its the only 1 place I have ever visited I want to go back to! So thats saying something! Will advise everyone I know to go - its worth every penny!

One final thing - suggestion really - would be nice if had glasses for sparkling wine drinks etc on the beach as had to have these drinks from tumblers which wasn't the same. Mind you made up for it with the martinis and the drinks from palms! Always quality, always good and not one mosquito bite in site!!! Sprays worked then! As normally I get eaten alive - was so happy not to be covered in red spots!

Thank you CSA for making the holiday what I wished it would be - romantic - worth the money - memorable and treasured! THANK YOU!

Claire & Ady UK

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank clairebear22
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We had a fantastic time at CSA. The staff did their best to take care of us. There are some policies that could be improved though. The whole reservation system for Feathers and the other one is a pain. Having to report the room numbers of potential dining partners when you are calling from the bar by the beach and after ten drinks is too regimented. We could never get into the restaurants at the times we wanted and then when we finally did the number at our table was wrong and one couple had to sit across the room. Perhaps you need another restaurant choice since after five days people do get tired of Palms for breakfast and dinner. The beach towel return thing is silly. Nobody is going to steal the old things, and the threat to be charged is rather rude. Wash cloths seem to be impossible to get - what's up with that. Four nights out of six I had nothing to wash my face with???? Overall, the place is great these are just little things that could be improved. As far as music on the beach till 10:30 at night, we think that if that is cutting into your romantic time maybe you should go to a private island or sleep on the beach during the day and get over it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank daytripper1117
Definitely not Jersey
Reviewed 11 May 2010

There was a loud wedding reception 1 night of our 7 night stay, and that lasted no longer than 1.5 hrs. The average age of the 25 person group was 45 and it had no resemblence of spring break at all. Spring breakers don't go to bed at 10:30pm like this resort does (a very fair time for vacationers).
To the staff......PowerCouple_10 said you were going to sugar coat their review and you sure did. Stating that you will make changes and apologizing for the wedding guests is dissapointing. Simply send PowerCouple_10 a cold towel and a bottle of champagne and be glad the complainers are not coming back to your wonderful resort.

• Stayed April 2010
5 Thank AntiPowerCouples
Port Ewen, NY
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Just Go! Met many all fun people like couples from a Utah, High Point, NC, Indiana, Iowa, Boston, Georgia, California., Washington, Michigan and a couple moving to Mexico across the border from El Paso. All good people. The really great people are the staff at CSA. I do not want to mention names because that would be a failure on my part for not paying attention to name tags. No request was ever too much. For food I could live at the Cabana Grill. The Snapper Sandwich, The Jerk Chicken and The Pulled Pork were as good as any I have ever had. And that is just the pool bar grill. The other restaurants from The Palms for casual, Patios for Jamaican, Sea Grapes for Healthy, Lemongrass for Thai to Feathers for Elegant food. The extras water skiing and all the rest what is included are great. You can do as much or as little as you like. The entertainment varied from night to night. I thought it was good. The gardens you just cannot describe them unbelievable.The workout center and the beach is what you go for. The beach is phenomenal and the workout center had two great guest instructors. From Erin the yoga / Pilates woman to Kim the Spin and Boot Camp guy.If you want real fancy and glitzy rooms do not go the rooms are good but the beach and staff are absolutely fantastic. One more thing five couples on the mini bus back to the airport. Couple number one ninth trip to CSA. Couple number three seven trips to CSA. That says it all. Just Go.

2 Thank tcbboat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!