Couples Swept Away was everything my wife and I had hoped for in a honeymoon and more. We had such a great time, we can't wait to go back!
The Airport and Shuttle Ride
The airport in Montego Bay is quite modern and the debarkation process through customs went smoothly. We were quickly in the lounge having a red stripe and awaiting our shuttle to the resort. The shuttle ride was a little over an hour. There aren't really freeways in Jamaica, but the ride over was scenic at times, mostly following the coastline and slowing down through a few towns on the way. A note on the airport, when returning to our flight home, the airport has a decent food court with a Subway, a Wendy's and a Domino's Pizza, there is also a Margaritaville near the back gates.
The Room & Resort
When we arrived at the resort someone was there to unload our suitcases, and a cold cloth was provided along with a glass of champagne. The grounds of the resort are very lush. Beautiful hibiscus grow everywhere, under the shade of palms, coconut, banana, and almond trees to name a few. We had booked a Garden Veranda Suit, and from reading the reviews on this site I had planned on requesting an upgrade. I decided to see the room first and after seeing it we were very pleased with it. Our room was on the 3rd floor and from our patio we could see the ocean between the palm trees. On a side note, at night the sporadic noise from the road was quite loud in our room, however both my wife and I were very exhausted and slept quite well on the comfy mattress. We were very happy with our Garden View Veranda room, there were no bugs except a few sugar ants on the patio, but nothing concerning at all. I was actually quite impressed by the lack of bugs around the property considering how tropical it is and all the open air restaurants and bars.
The Activities & Beach
What can I say, the beach is absolutely gorgeous. Everything you've read/seen in pictures and more. My wife and I love beach vacations, and have been to our share of nice beaches throughout the Caribbean, but this place certainly is one of the best. The sand is white powder and no large rocks to try to cross at the crystal blue waters edge. The water was very smooth the whole time and we never experienced any strong currents.
As for the activities, there were plenty of things available. All the included beach ones listed on their website and then and then an excursion list. I did the deep sea fishing excursion (was $125 per person extra booked at the resort and VERY worth it!) We left out at 06:30 from the beach right infront of our resort and within 20 mins or so we were about 400 ft deep and trolling lures. Our crew (captain and deckhand) were awesome! They made not catching fish still fun. There was an ice chest full of red stripes, bottled waters, and sodas. Luckily, the action got better towards the end of the trip and after a few break offs, we did bring in a nice black fin tuna. We also rented a jetski from one of the peddlers on the beach, it was $60... and we had a great time cruising up and down.
The security on the beach were always visable, and the whole time my wife and I both agreed that we felt safe. The peddlers can be insistent, but the security kept them moving, and if you chose to purchase something from one of them, the security would still come close as to watch the transaction. If you go off the resorts beach, the peddlers are more prevalent, but a simple no thanks does the trick.
The Food and Drink
The food was surprisingly good. Much better than I had expected. You have to try a beef patty and have a ting (jamaican soda). I fell in love with that stuff! As for the restaurants, my wife really liked the choices at the sea grapes cafe. The fish tacos were delicious, and we would have to get some sweet potato chips and their hummus dip! Patois was great for both breakfast and dinner! I loved the banana stuffed french toast. I also really liked the smoked marlin dip appetizer and the fresh made pizzas. We ate at Feathers twice, and I enjoyed the baked snapper, and the shrimp and coconut ceviche. Oh and of course I have to mention the delicious jerk chicken.
Like everyone else had stated, the alcohol selection is top notch and the bartenders don't make weak drinks. The bartenders were all probably the most friendliest of all the staff.
So now it's been 2 weeks since we have returned home from our stay at CSA, and we are still missing it. We enjoyed Jamaica so much, and Couples resorts were exactly what we had hoped for.
A tip, there is a small mini mart directly across the street from the resort and they have sun block for a more reasonable price than the $20 there at the resort. Bring small bills for exact change though, they take USD but will make change in Jamaican dollars. Infact, before you leave the US, make sure you have small bills available.
**Side Rant. Yes, the people of Jamaica are mostly charismatic, but be realistic, not everyone is going to be in a great mood all the time just like everywhere else. Are the airport security bright and chipper at your home airport... doubt it... Yes, the vendors are pushy, but they're just trying to make a living, treating them with respect goes a long way. The resort, and most of Jamaica, seem to be big on conservation and recycling (evident by all the bins for plastic/glass/paper everywhere). Makes sense, it is a small island and resources are scarce and importing is expensive so conserving and recycling are probably a necessity, on that note yes the maids do turn off your AC when you're not in the room, it's called conserving energy. Don't be the entitled American, it's not that big of an inconvenience, the room is small and will re-cool down quickly. And finally, yes, the views on marijuanna are very lax in Jamaica, if you are so uptight you're worrying about what the next person on the beach is smoking then maybe Jamaica isn't for you, I'm sure there is a nice beach somewhere in Florida for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immediately upon entering Couples Swept Away, you realize that you have arrived in paradise. Exotic flowers bloom amidst acres of green—on seven miles of the purest white sand beach in Negril, Jamaica. Dotted among the tropical gardens—open-air cafes, small pool enclaves and fresh fruit oases are yours to discover. Never crowded or hurried, the resort offers an intimate tranquility and when desired, total seclusion. All rooms embrace a quiet elegance with island cedar furnishings and pure white linens. Plantation shutters open onto private verandahs with views of gardens and azure sea. Breezy open-air restaurants engage candle-lit lanterns and billowing white curtains to strike a romantic note. While the pristine 10-acre sports complex encompasses every imaginable activity, the superb spa serves as a haven of relaxation. Couples Swept Away simply captures your heart and soothes your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Priceline, Destinology, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Couples Swept Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Hotel Negril
- Jamaica Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Resort
- Negril Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Jamaica
- Couples Negril