“Beautiful resort. Exceptionally helpful and friendly staff..and fun!”
Review of Couples Swept Away

Couples Swept Away
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We were there for a wedding. It is a beautiful resort. The food was really good, service good and staff so accommodating. The rooms were beautiful with heavy mahogany shutters, private porches for each room, very tropical. Sounds at night were delightful. It is beautifully landscaped. Very helpful keeping you supplied with bottled water, wine, whatever you wanted. Tips were offered but none were accepted. The rooms were very appealing; however, there seemed to be some little something wrong with every room. We changed rooms twice. We ended up in a room which had a toilet which wasn't working properly and a phone that worked occasionally. I thought all in all it was a very good value. And I think the staff would all be heartbroken if they thought they had failed in anyway.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

We went for a wedding/vacation. We had the best time. The service was amazing and the staff was very friendly and very helpful. Room service was great. Our room was clean and made up very proptly everyday. It was about and hour and a half from the air port and we had the best driver ever. He was very entertaining and before we knew it we were at the resort.. I don't think i really have anything bad to report. The only down side was that the service at the bars/resturants was kind of slow but to the up side of that, the alcohol was very strong and the food was amazing...So if your considering going to couples swept away Negril I would defintely recomending going!!!!

1  Thank frstonscene
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My new husband and I traveled to Couple's Swept Away the week of June 13th. We had a shorter honeymoon- and Negril Jamaica was the perfect place for us to be. Things we loved...
- Seagrapes (I did, my husband not so much)
- The swim up bar
- Drinks were delicious
- Massages were WONDERFUL
- Food was out of this world- especially feathers. Oh my! So delicious
- The location and the beach- hard to describe
- The dinner we had on the beach- so well worth it!
- The stocked mini-bar and view from our Beachfront Vere Suite
- What we called our 1st breakfast (the one that came to the room) Coffee was delicious, pastries were magical, and it started our day out right on the deck eating deliciousness.

Things that we didn't love as much (calling them complaints would be too strong of a word)
- Lemongrass: However, my husband and I don't love Thai food so it was probably us as much as the restaurant. The spicy warnings are to be taken seriously, my tongue was on FIRE
- We liked our room, A LOT, however, based on the website, we did think the room would be much larger. We expected that we would have a nice tub, and a fairly large room. That was not the case. Again, this is probably just as much us as it was the resort (but the camera angles on the website of the rooms are misleading)

Things we are glad we knew/wish we knew. Tips for future travelers
- BUG SPRAY!!!!!! We did not have a problem with ants (thankfully) but during the day we got pretty ate up. This is not even kind of a complaint, just a warning to bring bug spray.
- The catamaran cruise is a must. We loved the fun of it, the music, the view, and swimming in the caves. It was pretty awesome.
- We booked feathers the first day we were there (be sure to bring a nice outfit or two) but wish that we had booked it for two nights, because we tried on Tuesday, for Thursday and it was already full. No wonder, it is delicious.
- we kept food out of our room, i didn't see one aunt.
- Sunscreen, that sun beats down. I had to re-apply every few hours
- Best drinks (in my opinion) hummingbird, peaches and cream and purple rain
- If you are on a honeymoon- DO pay to do the dinner on the beach. TAlk about once in a lifetime.
- Water is awesome. Clear. Exactly what you think it will be.

Couples Swept away was magical. We are not people that will have the means to travel a lot- but we have made a commitment that we will try to go back for our 10th year anniversary. YAY!!!

2  Thank travelgirrl2
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We travelled in June for one week to CSA and loved every minute of it!

I laugh when I read some reviews on here as people complain about such silly things.

I see people complain about the transfer and how long it takes. Yes it is an hour an a half transfer time but that is to be expected if you don't like transfers that long then I suggest you stay in Montego Bay as everywhere else you are going to have between 1.5-2 hrs transfer each way. This is a big improvement from what it used to be now that they have the highway finished it is a nice smooth drive. They drive very fast but I don't worry as that is just the way it is and they know what they are doing.

The other complaint I read was about towels and reservations. All hotels require you to keep track of your towels if they did not do this can you imagine how many towels would be stolen or lost in a year? Also for reservations...at this hotel only one restaurant needs them and we had no problem at all getting into Feathers so again no biggie. As for the activities they do this so that they do not have a ton of people show up and be turned away each day. This way you know when and what you are doing in advance and can plan accordingly. They do tell you this at check in time and again if you go on the orientation so I am not sure how people did not know this...as well as it clearly states this on the Couples website as well.

Ok enough about what the complainers say...I just wanted to clear those things up.

This hotel is fabulous!! I have now stayed in Jamaica nine times and this is probably my favorite so far!

The grounds and beach are gorgeous. Extremely clean. The rooms are basic nothing too fancy but comfortable. The staff is unbelievably friendly and the food was excellent (except for the Palms but that is buffet so I didn't expect much and only ate there once).

Patois was our favorite restaurant for sure. Every morning they have different breakfast specials and smoothies that changed as well as the menu choices. I strongly recommend the banana stuffed french toast it was to die for! The pizzas are excellent at lunch and dinner as well.

The Piano bar was a lot of fun as well...most nights it was pretty happening and then right after the Aura Lounge DJ starts playing music...depending on the night it can be pretty rockin!

We went on the Sunset Catamaran ride and that was nice and we went on the snorkelling and that was nice as well. You could also sign up to waterskii, wakeboard, windsurf, kayak etc etc with the watersports.

The Fitness Center is the best I have ever seen in the Caribbean.

I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat! For those that want a super fancy room and all the frills then no I would not say this is for you but if you want great food, great service, with an authentic Jamaican feeling on the best beach there then this is the place for you!

I plan to return next year for sure!!

5  Thank Mexigal4
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I found this resort to be nice but not great. It was louder than I expected after reading advertisements and reviews. Every night we could hear music from the social events in our room.

The food was mediocre at best. The drinks were good and there were defintely a lot of fruity drink options to choose from.

I thought the beach was beautiful and the facilities were nice. Their activity/sport center was a great touch with a healthy juice bar.

I found their reservation policy for certain activities and restaurants annoying since it limited what and when you could participate. No one really explained what needed reservations and what didn't, if you could do an activity more than once, etc.

Little things like having to keep track of your beach towel for the duration of your stay detracted from our overall experience, but it was a nice get away in a relaxed and pretty location.

2  Thank rider808
Reviewed 22 June 2010

What we liked and tips -

*When we arrived at the airport they have a Couples Lounge where you wait for your transfer and get a complimetary red stripe.

*When you check in, you are greeted by lovely friendly, genuinely welcoming and hospitable staff - (and also throughout the stay) - always smiling and singing and polite plus - complimentry glass of champagne on arrival!

*We went for a basic room and had requested a quiet room which was given. As honeymooners however, I think we upgraded to the next one up as we also had sky TV, free mini bar (restocked daily with water, beer, soft drinks, wine, sprits!!!!)

*Honeymoon package - free complimentry 30 min massage each (amazing!) free bottle champagne

*The beach is out of this world - the sunsets were great too

*Don't worry about beach vendors selling souveniors/ busking- they don't hassle you at all really. Yes, they will approach you if you walk along the waterside or out of your hotels private section of beach, even then its nothing really - a simple no thanks will do. On your hotel's beach there are security guards that oversee any sales (as selling cannabis is illegal in Jamaica so I guess they are insuring it isnt taking place on their grounds) also - they will not approach you when you are sunbathing so thats good, but a polite but firm no thank you will suffice - they are just trying to make a living and friendly, not pushy anyway

*Beach buskers will play lots of reggae which is really nice, especially if you like Bob Marley - if you want you can tip them something small but you don't have to - I think they understand that all inclusives people dont often have cash on them.

*Definately do the excursion to Ricks Cafe, Negril, for the cliff Diving/sunset experience! - Even if you just want to watch but take your swinsuit incase as they have a pool, and like me you might just change your mind about jumping in!!!

*Also must do - Dunns River Falls and if you like Dolphins - Dolphin cove both in Ocho Rios - this is bookable at the tour desk on the resort, I wouldn't bother pre-booking til you get there as they day you pick in advance may conflict with something else you wish to do when you arrive. The drive to Ocho Rios is 3 hours each way, but well worth it. The DVD is about £40 and you can buy photo prints or DVDs - this is the same for both Dunns River & Dolphin Cove.

*Also, if it's a romantic /special occasion - see the conceirge in the Lobby where you check in for a private candlelit dinner on the beach we had this its 150/170 dollars depending if you want wine.

* the friday night beach party is fun too - delicous buffet on the beach and entertainment.

*the beach bar with Oshane and Terello was our favourite bar and they deserve a pat on the back for all there hard work. The cocktails, especially the frozen ones when your really hot - were out of this world. With a huge cocktail list so theres something for everyone.

*Adults only resort, no kids woo hoo!!

The Food:-

we were very impressed and relived to not get ill like we usually do on holidays!!!
I am a vege, so with the seagrapes vege cafe I was in my element. Plus the fresh fruit is great yummy in smoothies mmm! we went to Lemongrass for Thai 3 times!!!! and my husband loved all the jerk pork/chicken etc from the grill.

*please note, in Feathers restaurant they expect you to wear a shirt - my husband just took a blazer without shirt and although he was probably the smartest guy in there, they asked him to leave and put a shirt on - he had to explain he had forgotten his shirt and that in fact it didnt say on there notice 'shirt required' just no trainers or sports clothes or flip flops. We were quite embarrassed and a bit annoyed, we understood about the dress code being smart but we were!! Just a misunderstanding and in the end they let us dine - So just to warn you! I have to say the food there was the best of the whole holiday and we wouldve gone back had we had a shirt for hubby !!

*unfortunately as usual, people get up and god knows what hour and 'nick' the best sunloungers with the parasols - we managed to get one by chance on our last day!

Weather:-

hot hot hot - and very humid, thundered nearly every afternoon. The best sun was between 07.30 - 13.00 so my tip would be make an early start and have a 'siesta' in the afternoon - generally the storms were in the afternoon, quite a bit of rain/thunder and lightening (at least no hurricanes though - phew!!) there were a few days we didnt have any rain which was great it wasn't too troublesome, I think you need to give your self a rest form the sunbathing sometimes anyway!

*The sports complex and Spa facilites are worth a visit just accross the road we used them quite a bit - the pool is nice and quiet there, really chilled out and the massages are great !

all in all it is clear that at couples they are a cut above the rest, they staff are fantastic so hardworking, the place is beautiful, the country so hospitable and friendly - you will not be dissapointed!!!

Heres the website for info

The Abbotts

5  Thank mrsabbott26
Reviewed 22 June 2010

This was my second trip to Jamaica. First was with Sandals. Save your money and go with Couples!!! What a beautiful beach. Yes, the vendor traffic is a little higher, but never more than a minor annoyance. The food is outstanding. Lemongrass is a great Thai restaurant. We didn't try Feathers, only because I didn't want to put on long pants. Drinks are good and the bartenders are both friendly and usually quick to refill. Sometimes the bars got a little crowded but they do try to keep everyone happy. There is always something to eat or drink if you want it.

The snorkeling is very good, although there was one trip when several resorts were at the same location but that isn't Couples fault. And one of the very best things that beats the rest of the resorts, is the free scuba! I had never done it before. I went through the 2 hour class and then went out with Franz. It was one of the great experiences of my life. I went out a second time for $50. I don't think that can be beat by any of the other resorts.

We really didn't care for the night time entertainment. We went to the Aura lounge twice and thought it was a little cheesy. Same with the other one. Both had what I will call professional karaoke shows. (People who don't need the lyrics in front of them.)

We took the free shopping trip which was nice for a little while, but became redundant after a few shops. Different stores, same stuff. But we did manage to find all of our souvenirs. We also took walks up the beach and down the beach. Up, you go past Beaches and then some much smaller hotels/bars. Down you go past a lot of different places including Margaritaville. Just be careful as the vendors become a little more aggressive when you're off resort property. And they sell EVERYTHING. But it is a very beautiful walk with great scenery.

We had a Beach Front Veranda and it was very nice. Just keep in mind you are staying in a beach environment that is very humid and the rooms are built accordingly. If you are looking for a 5 star Manhattan style room you will be disappointed when you arrive.The room was cleaned every afternoon. We kept bringing in the sand, they kept sweeping away. The mini bar was always stocked with what we asked for. The bed was soft and comfortable.

Overall, Couples Swept Away is a great vacation spot. I will definitely return to a Couples resort. And I recommend you consider this site if you are going to Negril or Jamaica.

3  Thank dixon_cox2000