“wonderful,with exceptions”

Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Houston, Texas
“wonderful,with exceptions”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Stayed at Swept Away for our 35th wedding anniversary. We booked almost a year in advance and paid for a Oceanview Verandah Suite, the most you could pay for a room. When we arrived, our room did not have a view of the ocean unless you stood on a chair in a far corner of the balcony. We talked to several managers and after 3 hours we were given a beachfront verandah room for 3 days and moved to another room for the remainder of the trip. Be warned that if you book a room that says it has a view 0f the ocean, you may not get that view. Also, you cannot ask for a certain room number. It is the luck of the draw or as the managers said," You book a room catagory, not a room. Some of the much less expensive rooms have ocean views but you cannot book those rooms either. After taking a tour of Sandals Negril we discovered that you can book a specific room there. You get what you request there and also what you pay for. All of the rooms are beautiful and look new.
The food and drinks were excellent at Swept Away and the staff ( not the managers) went above and beyond to make you happy. The beach was awesome and the activities were all great. We loved everything about the resort except the rooms. They really could use some work. The bathtubs were old and chipped and the furniture was worn and has definitely seen better days.
If the room condition and view does not matter to you, I would stay at Swept Away. And who knows, you may be one of the lucky people who get a good room. But if you want a guanteed beautiful room, this is not the place for you.

1 Thank mawb14
Jamman, vice president of Operations at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Thank you for your review I am sorry our room and view from your room did not match your expectation. Your first room allocated is just two years old.

All our rooms face the sea. However, there are trees planted on our beach and views are rarely unobstructed. Beach Front Verandah rooms cost more than Ocean Verandah rooms as you had booked. The most expensive room is our Great House Jacuzzi Suite room.

We do not guarantee any room, but will of course do all possible to facilitate requests. This is standard resort policy and reduces disappointment if a request is not honored.

Our rooms are unique in design all are suites with very large balconies and reflect the casual elegance of Negril and Jamaica.

Thank you for your comments they can only help us improve our service standards. I am delighted that you did enjoy other aspects of your vacation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 July 2010

This place was absolutely AMAZING!!! When we first decided to go here I was a little leery because this place is completely different from any all inclusive resort I have stayed at before, but when my travel agent said I wouldn't be disappointed, she was right and I owe her big time! All the bad reviews you read about this place, please take with a grain of salt because I am a very picky traveler, and I was really overall impressed with this place. I typically go on 2-3 all inclusive trips a year, so I have a good basis for comparison.

The Pro's:

-This place has some of the best staff on board! Some places I have stayed at in the past, the staff could be really rude and snobbish, but not this place. From the moment you arrive, the staff makes you feel right at home.

-Martini Bar was a nice touch. If you go there, you won't regret it. Winston and Oral were great, and all the others who's names I don't remember! They not only make good martini's, but keep you laughing the entire time you are sitting at the bar.

-If you like Thai food, the Lemongrass is the place to go! We ate there twice because we enjoyed it so much!

-The Sunset Bar located on the beach rocked! Ruel, Shawn, Denloy, Marlene, & Bobbygay are truly assets to this place! It didn't matter if we were lounging on the beach or sitting at the bar, they all made sure our drinks were full at all times!

-The beach is of course breath taking. We spent all are time there from sunrise to sunset.

-Take advantage of all the free activities they offer at this place. We did the sunset cruise, paddle boats, knee boarding, & snorkeling and had a blast doing all! We heard the scuba lesson and dive were fun, but opted otut of that because of my fear of deep water and fish. Snorkeling was fun, but still way out of my comfort zone.

-Our room was amazing! I usually NEVER and I mean NEVER accept the first room they offer me. I am a HUGE upgrader, so when I didn't have a single complaint about our room or location, my husband was shocked! We stayed in an atrium suite. Those do not have televisions or a minibar, but that didn't bother us at all. It was great having all those windows to let in the natural light and great sea breeze. I will definitely be staying in that room category again when I go back next year.

Con's:

I really only have two complaints about this place, and neither of these con's would deter me from returning next year.

-The food overall was just okay. I have had better food at other resorts. I was still able to find something everyday to appease my appetite, and of course my husband never went hungry because he liked everything he had.

-The pools were nothing special, but again you don't go to Negril to hang at the pool.

Our overall experience was great! I usually come home from a resort and say I liked it, but I probably won't return, but I cannot say that about this place. Not only were we surrounded by a great staff, but we also met a lot of other great couples while we were there. Now I can see why people keep returning to this place each year, as we will be going back with a group of friends next Spring/Summer! Thank you CSA for all the great memories and future ones to come!

4 Thank bradycarson
Lake district uk
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We travelled to Couples Swept away Negril on June 13th, we has an amazing holiday, so I would say just book it, you will thank your lucky stars you did.

We were in the minority as most of the guests were from America, however we found many of the guests very friendly.

We were celebrating our 40th year of marriage which was a little different from the many honeymoon couples and couples getting married in the resort, at no time did we feel out of it.

Ou room was amazing, room 2118 (Antrim Room), I think it was one of the best for location.

Food in all the restaurants was very good, but mostly we enjoyed Patois, lovely relaxing, amazing staff, and excellent food.

Over all we did not do much, just relaxed and enjoyed, so, what ever your age , I would say go th Couples Sweptaway, one of the best hotels we have visited, and we have visited many.

2 Thank Nicelady123
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband and I went there for our 18th Wedding Anniversary and we were told that we would get individual 1/2 hour massages when we booked our trip. However, when we checked in we were told "sorry this is only given to honeymooners." The maid service is awful. We constantly had to call for wash cloths and face towels at least three straight days. The best part about the trip was the staff at the swim-up. They are fabulous and very friendly. I will not go back ever again.

2 Thank rejoice9
Jamman, vice president of Operations at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, 2 July 2010
I am so sorry we did not exceed your expectations. Please be advised that we do not offer free massages for anniversaries. Complimentary Spa services are offered to our returning guests and honeymooners only. Please advise your travel agent of this.
West Jefferson, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2010

This resort is worth every penny! Bring bug stray for the nights and if you smoke cigs-bring them, 10$ a pack. I previously read other reviews that commented on the bus ride from the airport (not good). We thought it was great though; got to view of the real life in Jamaica. We had non-stop service from happy employees everywhere we went. Food, entertainment, and other couples were all great as well. I wouldn't spend the money on a beach front room, nature covers up the views. The grounds were beautiful and clean. Everything was perfect for our honeymoon; we are planning to go back in the future. Tons of entertainment, we didn't even leave the resort. The cat. cruise was the best ever, take it. Read the reviews it helps!

1 Thank Caronam
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We were there for a wedding. It is a beautiful resort. The food was really good, service good and staff so accommodating. The rooms were beautiful with heavy mahogany shutters, private porches for each room, very tropical. Sounds at night were delightful. It is beautifully landscaped. Very helpful keeping you supplied with bottled water, wine, whatever you wanted. Tips were offered but none were accepted. The rooms were very appealing; however, there seemed to be some little something wrong with every room. We changed rooms twice. We ended up in a room which had a toilet which wasn't working properly and a phone that worked occasionally. I thought all in all it was a very good value. And I think the staff would all be heartbroken if they thought they had failed in anyway.

New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We went for a wedding/vacation. We had the best time. The service was amazing and the staff was very friendly and very helpful. Room service was great. Our room was clean and made up very proptly everyday. It was about and hour and a half from the air port and we had the best driver ever. He was very entertaining and before we knew it we were at the resort.. I don't think i really have anything bad to report. The only down side was that the service at the bars/resturants was kind of slow but to the up side of that, the alcohol was very strong and the food was amazing...So if your considering going to couples swept away Negril I would defintely recomending going!!!!

1 Thank frstonscene
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Hedonism II
#17 of 81 in Negril
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!