“Quality has really slipped”
Review of Hedonism II

Hedonism II
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Negril
The Villages, Florida
“Quality has really slipped”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Quality at this resort has really slipped the last few years. Food has gotten much worse, entertainment is questionable. Yes, it is very relaxing when at the beach, but the pool/hot tub area gets pretty crazy. Music at the pool was VERY loud - not very relaxing. We have been going to Hedo for 20 years and don't think we will be back - at least not until they upgrade and go back to top notch service.
The only really outstanding part of the stay was, as usual, the diving. The dive shack staff is OUTSTANDING!!! They are the most caring, professional staff of the entire resort. If we DO return, it will be due to the efforts of the dive staff.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Polish first
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Superclubs has basically run this property down to the ground. For the 5 star prices a person pay per room they should at least expect a decent room with amenities that work. On this recent visit, the room phone was out of order and it was an inconvenience because friends we vacationed with were unable to reach us without a block long walk. Despite notifying the Housekeeper of the problem within an hour of arriving nothing was done.

The shower water temperature is hit or miss. Either burning hot or ice cold. In this day of compact Instant hot water heaters it is unacceptable to be a roll of the dice when you want to take a shower. On only one day was the temperature just right.

The resort is now under New Ownership as of about 6 weeks ago and with what we heard would be an immediate 10 Million infusion into upgrading the resort hasn't happened! With over 270 rooms it's debatable whether this infusion will do more than add a coat of paint and some minor upgrades to a resort that needs a 40 million dollar upgrade. One of the bar staff said that Management has doubled the stock of liquor on hand but despite this effort they ran out of a few brands that were never replaced much like past visits. Not a good sign at an all-inclusive resort!

Most of the staff that the guests had built up relationships with over the past 10-20 years have been released so that is just another reason to not bother coming back. Dollar for Dollar, a Desire resort is a much better experience as they charge the same 5 star prices, but you actually see and experience a clean well managed resort that is worthy of it's star rating and operates as a couples resort only without the ogling (wally's) single guys which on this trip was especially annoying for the ladies in the hot tub.

The staff do try their best to be attentive to the guests needs. Mold in the bathrooms is unacceptable at any resort. We also experienced 3 resort-wide power outages that has never happened in numerous past visits.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank westendguy
Kirkland Lake, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I would go back in a heart beat! My husband and I find everything we could ever want in a vocation. Laughter, relaxation, great food and drink, water sports, dancing, work outs, great friends and hot sex. The staff are amazing and make us feel like royalty. Lorna is an amazing manager who always gave us a hug and shared some laughter with us while making sure we had everything we needed. Andrew is a top notch cook, and still took the time to come pool side to give me a hug and make sure everything was alright. Justin and Lance go all out to look after our water sport activity, so was another sweet young fellow. They teach you everything you need to know to have fun and be safe. We were amazed with all the activity. Jerome, from the garden, will even take the time to do something special for me. We love the bar tenders, servers, housekeepers, and especially Rosalind who gives an amazing message. We love the swimming pool and water slide. It's like being at a huge playground for kids, just for adults! Nightly entertainment is always enjoyable and has changed up several times since we started going in the past 3 years. We totally miss Fifty, but luckily we still have our Diva Winsten, and precious Hennasea. After doing the research on other adult resorts, I can't seem to find everything like Hedo can, so I often say to others, "why spend twice the money to have half the fun anywhere else?"

Room Tip: Don't worry about which room you select, you won't be in it much! We've been all over t...
7 Thank CrazyGlue701
Stevensville
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My first trip to Hedo II. Took my netbook to be able to write emails etc. But I did not use the netbook because of the outrageous price for WIFI. Any other hotel or motel I have ever staying in for the past 2 years offered complimentary WIFI. But not Hedonism II. The price is just $15 per day for WIFI. Oh did I tell you they do have special deal just $90 for the week. This is way to much money for just to be able to send and receive a daily email from your room. They do not charge extra for air conditioning, TV, pool, and towels etc. So why charge extra for WIFI? It should be included.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
12 Thank Carl B
USA
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We were at Hedo from March 22-28th for our 4th visit. We traveled with Venus Couples. Carol and David were great. They did an awesome job of communicating the events of the week without pressuring anyone to be in a certain place at a certain time. Going with a group is the way to go. It doesn't mean that you are obligated to participate in any of their activities, yet it allows you to get to know others while you are there.

The recent ownership change has certainly improved staff morale! We couldn't have been more pleased with the service, food, entertainment and weather! Our room was always clean and we saw some rooms getting a makeover. We were told that all rooms will be finished by New Years. Food in main dining room was plentiful. Salad and pasta bars were great! Friday night gala was impressive, complete with lobster and sushi. There was even a side station for festival and fried fish one week night. The fish was incredible! Good quality and variety on the buffet for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was good as well. Mimosa and bloody mary ingredients available every morning on the buffet. Kimola provided us with excellent service each morning! Martino's was good. Service was as well. Munasan was excellent.

The bar service was excellent at the main bar. Nude pool bar was busy and a little slow at times, but nothing worth complaining about. Some new entertainment staff since out last visit. The main stage evening shows were the best we have seen in years! The show on Wednesday night was absolutely incredible! Many compliments to the entertainment staff!

The grounds and beaches were well manicured.

The most appreciated change in our opinion was the piano bar. Eldon continues to do a fantastic job behind the bar! He knew what we were drinking and even brought us new drinks a few times as we enjoyed the music. His service was exceptional. New piano player, Kamar, was fabulous. Since our first visit to Hedo 3 in 2006, we have always wished that the piano bar could be a combination of hedonistic and relaxing. Kamar does just this. He is extremely talented. He is professional, yet he did a great job of adding a hedo twist to some of the songs. It was very clear that he was there for the enjoyment of the guests. We really hope to see him when we return! Best piano player we have ever seen at Hedo!

As far as the overall feel and dynamic at Hedo, it is what you want it to be. Take the plunge if you have never been. It truly is an experience of a lifetime. We did take Tim Air this trip and it is definitely worth considering! If you have never done the bus ride, you should because it allows you to see the beautiful country of Jamaica. If you have done it once or several times, Tim Air is a great way to get to the resort very quickly!

3 Thank travel2jamaica
Atlanta, Georgia

50 is gone.
There, I said it.
This is not good. Must TRY to replace him (good luck). Other guests were also very disappointed. With out him the slant amongst the staff runs a bit more to the 'sweeter' side of life than I want on my vacation....other than that. The place ROCKS

People are always super nice (guests, staff. local, cab drivers, etc...)
this is a vacation for those who want to let it all go. Do whatever the heck feels good. Food is great, drinks are great....if you want to let loose, go.

2 Thank gwiz8675309
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Well here is our trip report of our vacation at Hedo II. This was our 13th time to Jamaica and 8th time to Hedo II.
This was a very different vacation for us as we left Toronto on Feb 10, by Feb 11 my wife was in MoBay Hope, a private Hospital. She developed a blood clot in her leg and one in her lung. This was a near fatal condition and she was in the ER for 8 days. During this time I was traveling back and forth from Hedo II to the hospital in MoBay everyday by taxi. As anyone who has been there will know its a 80 min drive one way and costs $100.00 one way.
Well to make a long story short, I met one of the bartenders and upon hearing my troubles promptly called a good friend of his who is a taxi driver. Johnny (the driver) said he would do the drive for $120.00 round trip everyday. He went so far as to get me hooked up with a cell phone with minutes on it for as long as I needed it. I could now call the Hospital and speak with my wife anytime, call him when I needed a ride (he stayed in MoBay all day till I called for pick up.
The Hospital was awesome, which is a good thing to know when traveling.
OMG as far as the resort and the fantastic staff goes I have to thank them for helping me get through this hell. (yes I thought I was going to loose my wife of 22 years, my best friend)
Now as far as the manager at Hedo II , this woman is an angel. Lorna Clarke did everything and anything to help. From personally packing our things and sending them to MoBay and attempting to arrange a place for me to stay in MoBay. Unfortunately there were no rooms available so I had to return to Hedo. I had breakfast with her every morning, she called me everyday to see how things were going. Lorna made arrangements with the Chef of Hedo to have a sandwhich tray prepared for me every day so I didn't have to buy lunch.
After 8 days my wife was released from hospital but had to spend a week at the resort to get her strength back so she could fly home, but she was restricted to a wheelchair, no pool, no hot tub, no drinking, you get the idea. Well Lorna gave us the resorts wheelchair to use for the week even tho it is the only one they had. Our vacation was a 7 day trip but we were there for 15 days, even though the resort was over sold, Lorna would not even consider relocating us. She even moved us to a room that was close to the main bar and buffet so it was easier to get around pushing the wheelchair (not wheelchair friendly)
To sum things up, we are more in love with Hedo than ever before and the staff and Lorna are fantastic.
Now the bad part, the ownership changed during our stay; awesome new owners but we found out shortly after we got home, that our amazing new friend, Lorna Clarke was let go along with several of our new found friends, including the bartender that helped us find the taxi driver. We heard that 128 people were let go. Not sure its true but if it is, its unfortunate that all of those people lost their jobs. Especially Lorna who had been with Hedo II for many many years and truly loved this property and her job. Her amazing attitude, caring nature and willingness to help, turned a terrible situation into the realization that there are good people who really care and want to do nothing more than to make sure you are happy and comfortable, regardless of the situation. Lorna was there was for us everyday, both for me while I was on my own the first week, and for both my wife and I during the 2nd week when she was back at the resort in the wheelchair. We can't say enough about how amazing she is and can't believe that she was let go from Hedo II. We will be back to Hedo II as we love it and need to make up for the vacation we didn't have but will be sad when Lorna won't be at the resort to greet us. We will visit with her, just not at her home away from home.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple