“Five trips here and we are ..coming back!!”
Review of Hedonism II

Hedonism II
Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was our fifth trip to Hedo, we stayed from April 17th-24th. Our check-in was handled quickly and professionally however we were put in a gardenview prude room and had paid for gardenview nude. We were told we would be moved the next day which we were by 2pm. This was alittle upsetting because after a long day of travel you just want to get there and settle in...we could not unpack and had to search through our luggage to find all the items we needed to get us through until the next day. We were put way down in a room by the road when all we wanted was to be close to the nude side because that is where we spend most of our time. We have to say the standard rooms are much more bright since the drab gray & white is gone..new paint and bed linens, flat screen tvs and refrigerators are a big improvement.

Much improvement with the food as well. Lots of choices, and delicious desserts! Kudos to the new food management team! Austin and Jacqueline at the egg/omelet stations always made our mornings with their bright smiles and Jamaican greeting!! The new cushions to the dining area brighten it up as well!! Extra new choices at the nude grill since last year and Dwayne at night is always eager to please whether just chatting or making you a snack!! We never ate at the other grill so we cannot compare.

We really enjoyed the beach party this time...first one since we started going....but they could have done without the red paint....very messy!

It was great seeing Scumba, Alicia, Marlene, Sheldon, Cashwayne, Tiesta, Jermaine, Michelle and some of the other new bar staff...sorry if we forgot your names. Hedo really does have wonderful friendly staff working for them!!

Agustus raking the beach...always happy and always has kind words...keep up the good work my friend. The grounds were beautifully groomed, all debris picked up and all workers doing a great job! Denise(our housekeeper) kept our room very clean and tidy the whole time and we always enjoyed talking to her and hearing her stories and we would share ours with her as well...your housekeeping staff work very hard and Peta-Gay always greeting you with a lovely smile and kind words kept the main washrooms spotless!!

Oh and we cannot forget to mention Serena...always full of smiles and compliments!! See you next time!

The entertainment staff are amazing as always! We always look forward to see what Winston has in store to entertain us...they are all hard working and are of Las Vegas caliper!! Keep up the excellent work everyone and thankyou Ash for the special dance on Lingerie night!!

One issue that was taken care of with professional expertise and we wish to thank Michael the night manager and Donna Grant from the bottom of our hearts and Fed Ex as well is the fast and safe return of my husband's wedding band. We arrived home after a 3 hr drive from Toronto airport to find my husband had left his wedding band in the safe in our room....what a sinking feeling he got....he quickly called the resort...we believe it was Michael who was able to quickly retrieve the wedding band and keep it safe and then Donna took great care in handing it over to FedEx who took care to getting it the the airport in Montego Bay where it was flown back to Canada and then delivered to our home by FedEx in one week...A HUGE THANKYOU to all involved! We were never so happy to have this sentimental piece of jewellry back in our possession...thankyou all again from the bottom of our hearts!!!!

My husband and I were both thrilled to see all the improvements the new ownership is making to this jewel in the Caribbean! The newly renovated rooms are beautiful and we are sure we will see more improvements on our next vacation in Hedo!

Despite all the negative reviews, after all you are in Beautiful Jamaica and Rome was not built in a day! You have to go with an open mind....and where else in the Caribbean can you hang loose and have fun...like others have said it is" Walt Disney World " for adults!

Sorry if we forgot to mention anyone on their commendments until next time.......we cannot wait to hear those familiar words "Welcome Home!"

T&R
Ontario, Canada

5  Thank Rhonda S

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I always start with the good, and changes since our last trip 4 years ago.

Bus ride to Negril is still just horrible, Hedo cant do much about that, (but the best of friends normally start on the ride.

Mobay VIP, we where supposed to have it upon arrival with the Premium Room Package, (normal Jamaica mistake) Had it leaving, speeds thinks up a bit nice snacks and drinks before the plane.

New room did not change in size, the large shower takes up a little more space. Very clean. In room bar/frig needs a little help. Its a 1/2 size bottle of Goose, rum, and a bottle of champagne daily. 4 bottles red stripe, waters, cokes, grape juice. Mood lighting for me was take it or leave it. A/C was only out about 12 hours during our trip (the upgraded room have newer A/C units but are still connected to the old system) Did not have a problem with hot water (surprise) Telephone and the Wi-Fi worked almost perfectly. A fairly good Wi-Fi connection allowed for Skype calls home via email (FREE) No more need to get a calling card or go to the lobby.

Food Nude Beach- Greatly improved with Jerk all day ( I believe they only close 7 p- 11p) Burgers, fries, queso's, nachos, about every flavor of Jamaican patties all day. Pizza at midnight, with the full menu.

Main Dinning Hall - only ate once full quality was good

Martino's (Pastafarri) great food and service not a lot of change there.

Liquor- Many upgrades here. Grey Goose Crown, Jack. and I did not see it running out like in years past

Property Maps. Be sure to check a current one, since they continue to remodel the rooms. I did not complain however my premium room was 2129 which is about as close as you can get to the prude side. Do your research, because premium comes at a price.

I do not know if this is good or bad, however could be important to your trip. you can still book through hedo ii, however travel agents have took over and get the best rates. We used Char Travel, I think Tom's travels is another big hitter. Research the hedo ii website for events and try to find a week which fits your lifestyle. The travel agents bring there own DJ's make there own parties. So more than ever make sure you go during a time the events appeal to you. Everyone makes friends at hedo but it can be more difficult if you are not part of that group. (We had no trouble making new friends but I see it could be a problem)

Nude pool and Hot tub- Temps were good all week, seems like a lower occupancy week, but the nude pool was packed all day. I am not sure I saw a prude all week, but I may have missed a few.

Security still very visible, but unlike the past they seems a bit more laid back day and night on the PDA (depends on your taste). and they seemed to keep a lot of the black market stuff off the resort. It was actually nice not to have dealers bothering you every time you step out of the room.

Ok I will end on this note. TIPPING staff will get them fired. The staff is very upfront about this and adhere to it. In years past it had become a issue for they quality of service. We were always tippers even though it was "NOT ALLOWED" It is strictly enforced now everyone seems to get the same speed and quality of service.

Room Tip: Study the new Premium room map its is changing weekly. Just because you think you have the best or...
3  Thank sccple43
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Everyone was so happy and friendly. It was such an amazing time for me. Definitely going back. Wonderful surroundings and friendly staff. Warm greeting and really enjoyed the feeling of being at home.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My fiancee and I stayed at this resort for one week in April 2014. We did as much research on this resort as we could before booking and going there, including reading previous and any new reviews that would come up on here. After reading about all the people who have been there 5, 10, 20 times, we thought there must be something amazing we are missing out on.

I will preface this review with the details that I am in my late twenties, my fiancee is mid-thirties. On average, we were probably 20-30+ years younger than the majority of the other guests - we saw maybe a handful of people the entire week who might have been closer to our age but otherwise, everyone was in their 50s or older. There were a few couples who reached out to chat and were very nice, but for the most part, nobody really talked to us so we did our own thing. One couple did say that there is a "young swingers" week that would obviously be likely to have more people our age. However, we are not swingers and I gathered the impression that this was why nobody spoke to us. There were two large groups during the time we were there so I'm sure this was another reason we felt like the odd ones out because almost everyone else knew each other either from their clubs they were were part of at home or they had all been there together on previous visits.

We booked an oceanview room on the prude side for about $2000. I am fairly certain that there is going to be lots of the older, repeat guests who are not going to happy about this review but people need a legitimately honest review from the eyes of younger, first time guests!

When we arrived, it was early afternoon so it was not busy with other people checking in or out. Check in was fast and they helped us with our bags to the room which was only a short walk from the main dining room which was handy.

ROOMS:
The older rooms are decrepit at best. We were extremely disappointed to find that none of the older rooms have balconies! So even though we paid for "oceanview", in order to really enjoy it, you just sit on a little couch with plastic pillows looking out a window. These older rooms are not in any way "luxury accommodations" like other people have indicated.

This is the first all inclusive resort I have been to where they do not stock the mini fridge with any water or beer or juice. I asked the front desk if our room just got missed accidentally by housekeeping and they said "no but we can stock it for you for an extra $15/day". So heads up, if you want bottled water, they're $1 each at the gift shop instead.

The bathroom was really run down. One side of the sliding glass doors didn't work properly. There was something wrong with the drain so when taking a shower, the bathtub would fill up almost half full then drain slowly later. I spoke with the front desk 3 times over the first two days to have maintenance look at it but it never got fixed.

On day 3, we had one of the staff members track us down saying that they needed to switch us rooms. Apparently our bathroom was leaking down into the first floor suite! So we went to the front desk and sat around for 20-30 minutes while they figured out what to do with us. They eventually came out and said they were switching us to a garden view nude side room. I know that technically the nude side is worth more but it shouldn't be - they are exactly the same. I wasn't happy with this as we had paid for oceanview (even though it wasn't great, it's still something). So we waited another 30-40 minutes for the front desk manager to come out, who agreed to put us in one of the nice, newly renovated oceanview rooms on the nude side (again, nude side or prude side, no difference - a room is a room, they really shouldn't be charging different rates for anything besides oceanview or gardenview).

I should note that we didn't have any issues with the AC as other reviews have mentioned. I did bring a can lysol spray just in case, but it wasn't necessary. However, don't bring any with you either way, save the space in your luggage, because even if you do find that there is an issue, they sell the stuff in the gift shop. Also, water temperature and pressure were never an issue.

These renovated rooms are a WORLD of difference from the old ones, really no comparison. Nice new furniture, very modern, beautiful bathroom, large balcony with comfortable, over-sized wicker lounging furniture, large mirror on the ceiling with neat LED recessed lighting. These are the type of rooms one would expect for paying $2000+ for a vacation. However, to actually book and pay in advance for these rooms is a shocking additional $260US PER NIGHT more than they charge for the older ones... and still no stocked fridge. Ha! Although we were extremely happy and grateful to be in one of these rooms, I would never actually pay what they try to charge, highway robbery in my opinion.

RESORT:
As for the rest of the resort, it is just your typical, all inclusive beach resort really. The prude side is really quiet so you will always find open loungers over there. Nude side however, the regulars pick their chairs when they first get there and put various items on them for their entire visit so that nobody else uses them for that week. Some had personalized towels clipped to them, others had Canadian flags stuck to the back. Every single room on the main floor had lounge chairs pulled right up to their patio so that nobody would use them and when they were ready, they could just walk out and move the chairs to whenever they wanted later on.

The food was alright, nothing spectacular but not terrible either. I did notice they had a really large selection of premium liquor including grey goose for anyone who's into that.

The shows in the evenings are hit and miss. There was one night in particular that they had someone singing what sounded like elevator music. I do feel bad saying this as all of the entertainment staff are extremely talented and clearly put in lots of hours of practice and rehearsals. But it sometimes was just not what we expected for a place that is supposedly such a great time and known to be a non-stop party. There were definitely other nights where the shows were really good - on the dom theme night specifically, they had great music with impressive acrobatics.

I was disappointed to find that any time we went to the nightclub or there was music playing on the beach, they were just playing your average top 40 or 90s music - all the same stuff I hear on the radio at home everyday. Jamaica is known for their upbeat, rhythmical dancehall and reggae music so I was expecting and hoping to hear mostly that for the week! They clearly cater to the general age of the crowd to which we were the odd ones out.

The nude side pool and beach were clearly where it is at. As this was our first time at a resort of this nature and given the very obvious age difference between us and everyone else, it took us a few days to gather the courage to actually strip down and make our way over there to see what the fuss was all about. Everyone at this resort preaches about how it is non-judgmental and you can do or not do whatever you please; we were mortified when we walked over and got stared down and oolged by what felt like the entire beach and pool. Maybe it was just clear that we were newbies, but nevertheless, extremely uncomfortable. There are definitely some very questionable things that go on over on this side in the pool, and not just at night time either - it goes on all hours of the day too so be prepared.

Lastly, the staff at this resort are amazing. 99% of them are so nice and friendly, always happy to help or even just stop and chat (the other one percent were some of the daytime bartenders - there was one in particular who just seemed really unhappy to be at work and to pour a drink, almost like we were inconveniencing them). One of the young EC's who was a newbie, Tanelle, (she told us she had only been there for a month or two) sat by the pool with us one day just talking with us for a couple of hours. There was also one of the water-sports guys, Lancelot, who sat by the pool with us on another day just chatting about life and would always stop to chat whenever we saw him. Everyone says hi when they pass you and they seem to always be smiling.

I know that this place says they have a strict no tipping policy, obviously due to the fact that the majority of people aren't wearing any clothing so have nowhere to keep anything. However, the people in Jamaica make next to nothing compared to what we have and they work so hard. We found out that a lot of these resort staff make the equivalent of around $100US a week, and minimum wage there is a measly $57US per week. So we still tipped here and there when we could as it is always, always appreciated.

In closing, I have to say that I know I won't be back to this resort. Although we had never done nude before, that wasn't the issue as I would be comfortable to go somewhere else and do that again. It is more to do with the fact that there was almost nobody our age or anyone that we really had anything in common with and also that I feel they charge way too much money for what the actual amenities of the resort offers. This is only a 3-3.5 star resort and they should be charging accordingly.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms are the only way to go but still not worth the money they charge for them.
35  Thank meesha780
HedonismJamaica, Director of Sales at Hedonism II, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Since your review, much of the resort has been renovated and the food and beverage service and offerings vastly improved.

We hope you give us another chance to count you among the thousands of happy Hedo guests.

Randymon
DOSM
Hedonism II

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our second trip this year back to Hedo. The first one was in July 2013 and was full of customer service nightmares. This time was a completely different story. We were greeted immediately by everyone at the Front Desk with a "Welcome Home" and Lorna's warm welcome set the tone for the impeccable service we received from the Front Office team throughout our stay. Lorna was personally involved with getting us checked in. Her dedication to hospitality never ceases to amaze me. WOW! Randy has come so far and even remembered our name each time we saw him. Hats off to the strides you have been able to achieve in setting the tone for a superb arrival experience and Front office customer serrvice. Checkin was painless and our room was nicely touched up with fresh paint and upgraded bedding. Latoya was our housekeeper and was magnificent. She takes such pride in what she does and her smile simply makes your day. Martino's has definitely stepped it up a notch and Felycha provides a fine dining experience that is memorable. Samantha at the concierge was very helpful and knowledgeable. We were sad to hear about Delroy but everyone at the nude bar really made him proud. Diondra shines in hospitality and at her craft as a bartender. She just makes you feel valued and welcomed. Austin and Jacqueline made my morning everyday at the egg stations with their genuine hospitality. The entire entertainment staff was great. Winston, Nick, Ash, Monique were awesome. I am particularly impressed by Eaton and Fabian who in their own right are amazing. They made us feel like family and always kept a smile on our face. I do not have a single bad thing to say about any of the employees at Hedo- they are dedicated to making your stay perfect. Hats off to making a difficult job look easy.
HOWEVER, My compliments stop at the employees. With the exception of Lorna, not a single person from management extend any kind of courtesy or even a hello. We would see the different management memebers in the dining room and in the lobby but all were too busy to say hello and couldnt be bothered with a guest. Donna Grant was more focused on getting her morning coffee than saying hello to a guest or stopping to help us. (This occured on two seperate occassions) Delano, the director of sales, was always out and about but never returned a hello or even a smile. We saw him several times in the dining room and twice by the front desk. Very disappointing. The worst offender of them all was the Front Desk Manager who was snippy and couldnt be bothered with taking care of a guest let alone greeting them. It seems that management is more consumed with the process of the resort rather than the guests that fill it. They treated us as if we were an interruption of their day. It was embarassing to see that the resorts LEADERS lead by such poor example. The entire management team, with the exception of Lorna, could take a lesson from the staff and their dedication to hospitality and the guest experience. The staff and Lorna made us feel welcomed and valued. Great physical improvements by the ownership. Perhaps a better process for beach towels and having fresh ones more readily available would be helpful (they always seemed to be out of them). Nude beach grill and prude grill hut had great improvements- loved the additional choices. Kudos to all except for the management who cant be bothered with their guests. Mr Levee, you may want to work on the sour faced managers that roam your resort. Sincere compliments to Lorna and the rest of your staff.

Room Tip: H Block Garden View is well priced and conveniently located to all
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank StellaJ1117
Reviewed 20 April 2014

It never seems to amaze me the amount of work that the new ownership has put into this place.. We were there last Sept and see so many improvements in such a short period of time... Okay so we left on the AC flight out of Toronto, and it was perfect...arrived at the Montego Bay airport with the sun shining and the beers flowing... Although there were 4 other planes besides ours we breezed through customs. This time we decided to treat ourselves and use TimAir for the12 minute flight from Montego Bay to Negril ... Hit abit of rain but never the less, it didnt matter as we left the snow behind in Toronto..lol...

Arrived at the resort and was greeted like it was a home coming from Lorna at the front desk...she always has a smile on her face no matter what.. Check in was smooth and painless as always.. Room was ready and waiting for us... a complete redo of the rooms, nicely painted all white ( got rid of that drabby grey), new mattresses, beds now have a duvet with teal and gold classy looking accent cushions, and new flat screen tvs. the room was spotless and clean. O'jell was quick to whisk our bags to our room, chatted with us once we reached the room about what the weather was like back home, how the family was..welcomed us home as always...it took us no time at all to hit the nude swim up bar, to have Scumba and his great bartenders serve us up a few cold ones..visited with old friends, met some great new ones.. Headed to the dinning hall for dinner. Had an amazing, out of this world roast beef with the best Yorkshire pudding I have ever tasted. The food has always had some taste but the meals have been over the top, with flavour and such...AAA+++ to the chefs.. The desserts were lined up and where over the top... It was as if you hated to actually cut I to it...I heard that they received new baking ovens, and they have been putting them to good use..

After dinner we were entertained with all NEW entertainment on main stage. Kayne (Kayon), Ash, Fabian, Eaton, Dianna, Denise, and the rest of the entertainment staff, many new ones that are just as great.. A new DJ, they call DJ Shampoo...lol...not sure of his real name. And who could forget about Winston, sings like there is no tomorrow everything from, Elvis to opera and everything in between..

Headed to the piano bar where the place was hopping, "Kamar" doing what he does best.. Everyone there was was in the grove dancing and singing while "Eldon" kept our drinks flowing.. Most nights the piano bar was packed right up until closing

Michael the night manager, always around making sure things were the way they were suppose to be..

Each morning we were greeted by "Jackie" at the omelette station... Always with a smile, you can really tell she loves her job and takes great pride in what she does..

We had reservations at Martino's and noticed that the service has stepped up a few notches, and the meal was great. Didn't get a chance to do Harry Sans but it was always packed..

The nude beach grill was always busy with the great jerk chicken, grilled cheese and bacon, a lot of new items on the menu... They actually have a menu on the side of the grill now.. Mark Reid is a great asset to this area..

The grounds were kept great as always, they were even picking weeds out of the flower bed by the spa.. Grass was cut, sports guys had the beach front raked every morning and again in the afternoon. For some reason we noticed that there seemed to be more sand on the beach this time than before... Everyday the sports guys had lounge chairs piled in the pathway as they scrubbed them down with bleach to keep them nice and white.. There were so many lounge chairs that there were NO issues with saving them..all lined the beach front and pool side.. Noticed alot more umbrellas this time on the beach.... Talking about umbrellas, each room is now equipped with a nice size red and white umbrella to get yourself from your room to where you need to be on those rainy days..

Cleaning staff were always friendly and talkative, Derek was seen every morning scrubbing the hand rails of all the balconies.

It always amazes me how many things change in a short period of time when we return... The new owners are working like crazy to do up grades, and to some maybe the small thing smear nothing but it's really the small things that I notice... Of corse they have been doing major renos, such as the ocean front nude side, new suites. All new hot tubs and all new wicker chairs and loungers..

Although our experience this trip with the resort was excellent or experience with Air Canada was a different story... As I mentioned in the beginning of this review we took the Tim Air over to Negril...in the past Air Canada has forgot to pick us up...actually 3 times in a row, this time we we had the experience of dealing with the rude disrespectful Air Canada rep. When we first arrived in Montego Bay, I spoke with an AC rep and they said not a problem, just meet your rep by the name of "Oneil" in the lobby of the resort Saturday morning at 11 am.. So we did, to find a lazy rep practically laying on the bench in the front lobby. When I introduced myself to him, and extended my hand to shake his, he didn't extend his..ok I thought maybe its a germ thing... I get it...but when I asked him what it time the shuttle would be picking myself and husband on Friday morning, his reply was why are you asking me, go to the front desk and get the AC book and look it up yourself... My husband and I were taken back, but I looked it up and was on my way.. When we were suppose to be picked up Friday we found out we were delayed, not a problem I thought...every time we returned thinking we were getting on a bus, nothing came and we had to call Air Canada ourselves... It wasn't until the third trip to the front lobby did we finally see our rep "Oneil" .. His cell phone placed to his ear chatting it up, we waited about 15 minutes before I politely said, excuse me, that's when he rudely stuck his hand in my face and began to shake it at me as he walked away and continued to carry on his conversation on the phone.. It wasn't until I went to the front desk and asked if they could call Air Canada for me, to find out our shuttle would be at the resort to pick us up at 7:45pm. By the time we reached the airport NOTHING was open, and the air conditioning was shut off.... by the time we arrived they pushed our flight time back three times so instead of originally leaving at 2:30 in the afternoon we were now leaving at 12:35 am... I understand delays, I'm sure it's a part of everyday life for the airplane world but a representative like Oneil, I really think the airline should rethink who they have representing them...I for one always used Air Canada, but I promise that this airline will never get another penny out of me, I work to hard to be treated like I don't matter. And I am sure that that any other airline company would be very happy to take my money with a smile and have a rep who takes pride in their position..

For a resort to have taken such great care of us after we checked out, I can't begin to say thank you... Although we felt like we were stuck between paradise and going home... They made us feel as if this was just an everyday occurrence..Delano, the sales manger even made a few calls on our behalf to see what was going on...who does that? THIS PLACE!!! the only place where once you visit for the first time you are now apart of a family you never knew you had...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cwoodfun
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Do you like luxury accommodations, beautiful beaches and people watching? This is the place for you. You can get a day pass just to visit. it is well worth it. great bars and excellent food. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple