“I love White Sands...”

Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Indianapolis, Indiana
“I love White Sands...”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I have stayed at WS off and on since 1997, and I have become close personal friends with most of the staff, including Francis and Henry. I mention that, because those two literally saved me from a huge catastrophe the day of my departure my last visit in February. My entire stay this time was as usual, FANTASTIC, and since I travel solo-it was very cool to hook up, and hang out with some of the same guests I met last trip. I swear, every guest I have ever met at WS is a repeat visitor...that should say a lot if you are considering staying there. I can't add much to all the positive things everybody else has already said, except in a friendly way, question all the 'hard' beds comments...are you kidding me? Personally, by the time I consume many of Tony and Paul's cocktails, I’m usually fast asleep not long after my head hits the pillow-I guess I've never had time to do a mattress analysis! LOL Okay, I'll cut to the chase regarding Henry and Francis saving the day. Like a complete idiot, and I still feel stupid for doing this, but what the heck-I'm surely not the first one… but...my day of departure, I went to the office and checked out without cleaning out my safe, which means I left WITHOUT MY PASSPORT...Even worse, I didn't realize my stupidity until we were only a half hour outside of Mo Bay, when I reached in my pocket for something else, and grabbed...you guessed it-my safe key! After telling my longtime driver of my predicament, I can now look back and laugh at the memory of the look of complete horror on his face..."You're going to miss your flight now, mon!" I've known Henry forever, and (luckily!) had his cell number memorized, so I called him and told him what I had done. NO PROBLEM...HANG TIGHT, and I'll call you right back...reassuring words from my longtime friend…He ran over to the office; sprint is probably a better word; and told Francis. Immediately a driver (Power) was dispatched to drive toward Mo Bay with my passport. My driver and I were to drive as fast as possible back to Negril; the plan being that we would keep in contact, and meet along the way...which is exactly what we did. The fast action by Henry, Francis, and Power (I hate to think how fast Power had to drive), allowed me to exchange their key for my passport, and believe it or not-I made my flight with plenty of time to spare! I can never thank Francis, Henry, and Power enough for springing into action and saving my day! Thanks again, guys see you next year!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank HoosierHick
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Thank you so much for not only allowing us to host you again, but for taking the time to post that rather exciting trip review ! Wow…you must have been a bit stressed. I am so glad the White Sands family was able to help you. I agree with you, I don’t want to think how fast the drivers were going to make sure you got your passport on time…I bet you could have used one of Tony or Paul’s cocktails after you made your flight on time ! Francis, Henry, Power and all the staff will always do everything we can for all our guests. And it is probably why, as you so rightly stated, you see so many repeat guests at White Sands each year. We treat them well and they come back year after year. It is a very symbiotic relationship that we cherish. We look forward to sharing our beach with you again soon. Cheers, White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My husband and I wanted to stay in a hotel/apartment that was as close to how everyone in Jamaica lives. We didn't want to stay in a big all inclusive hotel because we actually wanted to experience the culture..My husband read the reviews on tripadvior before booking.So..we were picked up from the airport in Montego bay by a taxi that the hotel hired. He was quite friendly and welcoming. I will say that sometimes you feel like you are living life on the edge when you are riding in the taxis because they drive really fast and crazy. The staff at the hotel welcomed us and were quite friendly. The room that we stayed in was ok. The hotel definitely needs to redecorate and become more modern. It did not have a tv, so if you are expecting a tv, microwave, working fridge, and a cool air condition....umm don't come here. I didn't mind those aspects, though it did get kinda hot during the day. The hotel told guests not to have the air conditioner running for long periods, which was kinda annoying. The room had a nice view of a garden on the patio. The beds were kinda hard. The bathroom was just ok...had a good working shower. There were maids that cleaned everyday. The hotel had a nice bar. The bartender and the woman cooking the food was kinda arrogant and rude at times...They didn't want to prepare our food at times....so we were forced to walk to other hotel restaurants to eat, which is what we did 90% of the time. There are tons of hotel restaurants on the beach. Nightlife was horrible. There was nowhere that was close by accept this club highly known for prostitution and drug usage. The beach was great. The water was so clear. I would recommend this place to people who want a short getaway from home and who aren't looking for much. This place was dirt cheap so you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quetique
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for taking your time to write such a long and detailed review. We are often described as good value for money so it is nice to read that you consider our rates dirt cheap. We always want to make a vacation at White Sands affordable to anyone. Suggestion…on your next visit book a One Bedroom Apartment. They are in the building that is closest to the beach, downstairs. All rooms have
TVs and they are the units that are the most recently renovated. They are quite large with glass block walk in showers, living room, dining room & kitchen. Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to hosting you again. Regards, White Sands Negril
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Can't begin to say how great this place is. The staff are warm, friendly, and very accommodating. The location is fantastic, as long as your ok with a 30 second stroll to the beach. Walking down the beach can be a bit of a challenge with all the beach vendors wandering around, but they all seem to know they are not allowed here which I great when you need a break from them. Talk to Henry, he is the ultimate concierge and can direct you to all the best places, and can arrange transportation as well, if needed.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Gary D
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
You said it all in your first sentence. Thank you for the kind words. We are very proud of our staff, they are what keeps guests coming back year after year. Henry Brown is definitely a great resource and will always steer you in the right direction. We look forward to hosting you again. Regards, White Sands Negril
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Love it!!! Henry rules!!!! Great toilet seats too!!! Worth every penny!!!

• Stayed May 2011
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
That has to be one of the most unique and funny reviews I have ever read. Henry Brown is definitley a gem and too many guests want to adopt him every year. Sorry, we are keeping him !! We look forward to hosting you again. Cheers, White Sands Negril.
London, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I had an absolutely wonderful time at this resort. The people where amazing,friendly and very helpful. We had a great breakfast at the grill every morning and, being a public beach, there was wonderful fruit juices being sold right there!!

We did have a bit of an issue with some of the pedlers, but the security seemed to have complete control over the situation.

The beds are hard, as you may read on many of the reviews, and my comment is..............."and"?? you are in jamaica and surrounded by the most amazing views you will ever see, you are staying at a clean and safe resort....get over it!!

I feel like i got more than my money's worth and fond memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you to francis and to all the wonderful and welcoming staff at White Sands Negril!!
I hope to see you all very soon!!
Love from
"The crazy canucks"

Room Tip: Book the one bedroom apartement!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Fantastic to read you had a wonderful time at White Sands. Our One Bedroom Apartments are our most recently renovated rooms. They are one of the largest you will find on the beach and the only units that have TVs.
Beds are a difficult thing. Some like ‘em hard, some like ‘em soft. We do our best. I am just glad you have wonderful memories.
Francis and the entire staff will be here when you return, which we hope is soon! Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2011

When you first arrive you might find room small but it will grow on you. We stayed beachside and had no issues with front desk being across street. Loved the beach bar and after one of the daily special drink you will feel the "No Problem" vibe. Great sunbathing area and nice reggae music from the bar. Breakfast is fabulous - try the veg omelette or banana pancakes. Nice security guys and they will make sure vendors do not disturb you while relaxing . No phone or tv in room but your in Jamaica to relax and getaway ! Negril 7mile beach is beautiful!!! Staffs always greet and smiles-making us feel very welcomed to white sands. No hairdryer or iron but didnt check with front desk. Stayed one week and did not want to leave. Gem!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
The standard rooms on the beach side are our smallest rooms on the beach side. We price them accordingly so it is a trade off on price vs. size. I highly recommend booking a Deluxe Room on your next trip. They are all located in the building closest to the beach and because it will be your second trip, we will give you our ‘Repeat’ guest rate.
Glad you liked the vibe of the beach and ‘experienced’ our great cocktails from the bar. Next time see if you can squeeze in a 14 day stay, that way you really get to live Island Style !
Cheers, White Sands Negril
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Booked two rooms on the garden side for myself and family. My room was good, spacious and clean (except for a few moldy spots in the shower). The second room was also good but had issues with the shower. Told management and it was fixed the next day.

Service was slow in getting meals but food was good.

Overall for the price I paid it was a good value and if I am on a budget on my next trip to Negril, would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for the review. Describing us as good value and letting us know you would stay here on your return trip is a wonderful endorsement. We look forward to hosting you. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril