“Second stay”

Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Negril
D.C.
“Second stay”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at White Sands back in 2004 and just got back from my second stay. Glad that I made the decision to return. I stayed in one of the 1br apartments. Plenty of space, great shower, close to the beach, great food and drinks at the beach bar. I'll be staying at White Sands when I return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank john m
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Wow, you have incredible self-restraint to have stayed away so long! Thank you for allowing us to host you on your second trip. Our one bedroom apartments are one of the most spacious apartments on the beach, glad you liked the new shower. We renovated all the apartments a few years ago and everyone loves him. Nothing like a big walk in shower to relax and. I hope you will return soon as we look forward to hosting you on your third visit. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just back from White Sands and it was a wonderful place to stay
Great location and wonderful, friendly staff. Our room was kept immaculate
thanks to Nora. Would go back there again.
I was sorry to leave.

Room Tip: We enjoy rooms that are close to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank airedalemom06
I am glad you had a wonderful time at White Sands Negril, I will definitely tell Nora that you give her the highest remarks! I agree that our location is wonderful and we hope that you will be back soon to share a cocktail with us at sunset. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I would absolutely return here. Thought it was funny to read a review about their hard beds. Literally just got back, stayed in G13, slept like a baby every night and took many drunken/inebriated showers without slipping or falling in the "slanted" tub. If you're not the Princess and the Pea, you will be FINE staying here. Rooms are super spacious and clean, staff is absolutely amazing and helpful.

The beach is steps away, the patio a perfect place to people watch and relax. I'm not a resort-y kinda a gal, so maybe that's why I enjoyed my stay here so much. It's quiet, quaint, and very low key. Want a five-start resort experience, go to Hawaii. Want a real Jamaican vacation? Book White Sands.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mira C
I could not have written a better trip report if I tried, thank you so much for taking the time and we greatly appreciate your kind words. I am glad everyone at white Sands took great care of you, we certainly are, as you say, quaint and very low-key. We like to think that we offer a true Jamaican vacation, glad you agree with us! We look forward to sharing a sunset you soon. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The first time I visited Jamaica, I stayed in Negril at White Sands. 13 years and four trips later, I STILL stay at the same family run hotel with an amazing staff. Not that I'm not adventurous--because I am. But having been up and down the 7-mile stretch of beach, I've seen all the hotels and none make me want to make a change. For one, the same family-run style of service is exactly the same as it was when I went as a college kid on spring break. The property is clean, well maintained and has the perfect amount of amenities without turning into an all inclusive. Two, their staff is AMAZING. Top to bottom, seeing the same familiar faces makes you feel like family--and they take care of you like family as well. Perfect location, great bar (and bartenders) and perfectly reasonable room rates.

I hope that in another 13 years I'll be sitting at the bar talking to Tony or Paul and remembering our youth.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank AnthonyBejarano
Thank you so much for your loyalty and taking the time to write such a nice trip report. You certainly have spent many years walking our beach and it makes me very happy to know that you continue to support White Sands Negril. I am glad you feel welcome and enjoy our family run property. Our staff, and especially Tony and Paul, look forward to taking care of you on your next trip. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Merrill Wi
Reviewed 22 March 2012

After a fairly tough year with a lot of dearly departed's two Moms & two very close accomplesses
we needed a break. So for 18 days we lived very comfortably at The White Sands Hotel with a wonderful crew that consisted of the wait staff,grounds staff and security that made waking up in
the morning great. We realize that some of those out there like more attention when on vacation
although there are time when peace and solitude is what your after. This time was one of those
and we had a wonderful vacation, so when we got home we were totally refreshed.

Thank you for letting me ramble on and I hope your vacation is great also. Benny + Lupie Cliff

Room Tip: Garden rooms are Quieter and cooler, There are also rooms with kitchenettes for those who cook. also...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Benny-Cliff
I am glad your stay at White Sands Negril allowed you to decompress and relax after a stressful year having lost loved ones. It warms my heart to know that the time spent at our property allowed you to enjoy yourself and return home totally refreshed. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Cheers, White Sands Negril
Duluth, MN
Reviewed 16 March 2012

DISCLAIMER...THIS HAS BEEN POSTED BUT UNDER MY OTHER ACCOUNT THAT I'M GOING TO DISABLE. MICHAEL-thanks for the response....I'm going to be printing that out and keeping it!!

So, let me start by saying I have been staying at this hotel since 1994. In nearly 20 years of going to Negril I have skipped a few years AND have double up some years. I've been down there with friends who have stayed at other hotels so I have had the opportunity to see other places. My first time in 1993 was at a different hotel on the beach and friends stayed on the cliffs.

Ok, back to White Sands....Garden side of the hotel (across the road from the beach) I have stayed in rooms G12, G28, G11, my sister stayed in a garden side room but I don't remember the number. Of ALL of these rooms, hands down...G12 is my all-time favorite and second choice would be G28. G28 is larger overall and at the end of the building so no traffic by your back door. BUT it is closer to the road with no trees to minimize the road noise. Turn on the AC or fan and block it out. G12...oh G12 what can I say about this room?? it's heaven. Big tree in the front of the property that provides much "wildlife" viewing - Lizzards and birds mostly but I love it. Out back (again, at the end of the property so no walk by traffic and more room for a clothes line) flowers and trees and some incredible Dr. Bird viewing. A view of the Morass from the back and because of the cement detail in the shape of stars, a great sunset photo op.

I do NOT spend much time in my room so the fact that it has a fridge, a shower, a bed and a deck is basically all I'm looking for. Garden side is nice, quiet, relaxing, and friendly and there is something about being on "that" side of the road. It provides you the chance to meet the hotel staff coming and going as well as interact with locals on the road.

Now, I have stayed beach side my last two trips and now I'm torn. I've stayed in D4 twice and this last trip I stayed in D2. D4 is nice and I would be happy with that room again. Oh hell, I think all of the rooms would be just fine. I have never stayed in any of the apartments but have looked at them and had drinks with some fun Canadians staying in an apartment so they gave me a tour and they are nice rooms! So, D2 is one of the first two deluxe rooms closest to the beach. D1 & D2 do have a bit of an ocean view. My neighbors staying in D1 invited me over for coffee one morning so I could check out D1. D1 is larger in size and the deck is larger and has a great view of the bar area/ocean. D2 however, was just as good! As i've stated....I'm not up for sitting around in my room so the fact that the bed is comfortable, there is a fridge and a shower...i'm a happy camper.

I usually eat breakfast at the restaurant on site-eggs, bacon, coffee, and it was like 8-10 bucks depending upon how many cups of coffee I had. I usually do "beach lunch" which is one of the following depending upon who's coming by: patty from patty men, coco bread, jerk pork guy, lobster guy (one lobster guy is pretty aggressive so be warned) or leftovers from the night before. The drinks at White Sands bar are priced similar to the states....$3.00 for a rum and Pepsi. $4-$5 for the yummy blended ones. They do a two-for-one special that draws guests from surrounding hotels.

The hotel exchanges money for you for a percentage..that's up to you how you want to do money. I'm of the mindest that it's right there and it's hot out and I don't want to go to town or do busy work on vacation so I willingly and gladly let them do it and take a cut. I ALWAYS take a safe in the office. Would never NOT do that. I should stress I've NEVER had my room broken into or anything like that happen at this hotel.

They take US$ at the bar but you may get your change back in Jamaican. I guess, if we had to do it right now we'd go down with a wad of 1's, 5's & 10's some 20's to pay for our drinks/bar tab. This probably would have saved us some money. But, I hate saying that. I am in a foreign country-I should use the currency of where I am.

Ok, now the people....I cannot say enough about the employees of White Sands as well as the Jamaicans that are regulars there. I've known many of the employees at White Sands for years and in a way we've grown older together. I have often found the best places to eat by asking the "guys" where we should go. Never been disappointed yet. They've turned me on to some of my all-time favorite places to eat down there. The staff in the kitchen - Chef, Jennifer & Maureen are the best start to my day. Tony and Paul the bartenders are the best end to my day. In between are the all-stars like Henry, Mousey, Everton, Leedon, Power, and ALL of the housekeeping staff! White Sands is NOT a swanky place but that is part of its charm.

A recommendation: when the newspaper person comes by, buy a paper and read what's going on in Jamaica. This opens the door to some incredible conversations with Jamaicans about what's happening in the country you are choosing to visit and spend money in. There are two newspapers....the Gleaner and the Observer. I prefer the Gleaner but if it's not available, the Observer will do.

My ONLY problem/complaint with White Sands is that it would appear that too many have fallen for its charms like I have and I have been informed by management that it's a crap shoot if I'll be able to get a room when I want one. I expect this serious situation to be somehow remedied. I'll await your resolution Mike.

Kind Regards,
Shari Green

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shari
A simple thank you seems entirely inadequate for your loyalty and friendship to the White Sands Negril community, but I sincerely thank you for your kind words and support of our little piece of paradise. As always we look forward to hosting you again and sharing our sunsets with you. Cheers, Michael
traverse city MI
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Just returned from our 2nd visit to White Sands. They have been doing lots of improvements. New air conditioners on the beach side, new doors and windows on the beach side as well. While we were there we got a new mattress in our room! ( beach side as well ) The rooms are clean and basic. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Tony the bartender rocks!!! Would love it if you could have a coffee maker at an additional charge. One down side is our water was shut off every night till about 7 am. Couldn't figure out if it was White Sands or thru out Negril.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the beach and on the garden side are quieter. Ask to be far from the road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tcbabe
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Thank you for such an honest and nice review. The water situation is a temporary thing. Jamaica has been going through a bit of a drought so the National Water Commission was shutting off water in the entire Parish of Westmoreland each night recently to refill their main water tanks. It is a temporary measure.

Glad you like enjoyed your stay. Our staff is fantastic and I love it when they are given praises by our guests. They deserve all the praise. Thank you for your second visit, we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Cheers, White Sands Negril