“My 1st time at White Sands”
Review of White Sands Negril

Ranked #20 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My 1st time at White Sands”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I really Enjoyed my stay at White Sands Negril ,! all the Great reviews I read were on point , the Staff is Great here , and the Grounds Rooms and the Bar area I loved it . White Sands is in a Very Good location , I would certainly stay here again , and would recommend White Sands to my family and friends ...Everything went nice & smooth ...1 Love JA

Room Tip: rooms on the garden side are more private and quieter...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank tess1luvnegril
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your time with us, thank you for allowing us the opportunity. I have to agree with you, we are lucky to be located in a great part of the Negril beach.

Thank you for recommending us to your family and friends…they are all welcome.

See you soon on our sands !

White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have visited the White Sands Hotel on numerous occasions. Like most other visits, my room was comfortable, the staff friendly and my stay very relaxing. I have always felt safe during my stay, however, I was rather disappointed (or disturbed - still not sure which) when members of management were somewhat less than friendly. I was at least 7 days into my stay before anyone spoke to me. Even more disturbing was when I saw a member of management purposely ignore 1 of their staff; you would have thought the staff member was invisible. Granted I don't know what goes into running a hotel but between my business and personal life I have spent enough time in hotels to know that being in the "hospitality" business means more than a pleasant façade for the guests. We as guests notice how others are treated as well. Those others include not only the other guests and staff but also the taxi and bus drivers, legal authorities, vendors and walk up patrons as well. That being said, I will visit the beautiful island of Jamaica again and I hope to spend some of the time at the White Sands Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Sullib
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to write your review. Considering you have been here before, you will have been that we are a pretty friendly bunch of folks, so sorry you did not feel noticed when you were here. Not sure when you visited. We did have a few large events here, one especially was a family reunion. This may have added some stress to the mix for everyone. Nonetheless, we always want our clients to feel they are appreciate and I apologize this was not the case with you. Many on our staff have been here 5-10 years, some over 20, so I can say with confidence we treat them well, they like working here and we appreciate all their efforts.

Your words are taken to heart and greatly appreciated.

I do hope when you visit again we will be on our ‘A’ game !!

Levittown, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2013

It's not expensive and it's right on the water. There is a hotel bar/grill on the water they make good food (breakfast and lunch only) but take a long time to prepare. We stayed in two rooms: one larger one with two beds a walk-in closet (great for putting away luggage) and a balcony and the other was the simple deluxe with one bed and balcony. The bigger room was definitely better and well-kept. The single was fine but the bathroom seemed a little beaten up. The garden side of the hotel (the hotel is split by a street with mild traffic - on one side is the beach view the other side is the garden) had cool mango trees, an unmarked pool (not so clean), a pool table free to use, a ping-pong table with no equipment, and two big caged, very angry, blue and yellow macaws.

Staff was helpful. I had to make a few phone calls to the driver I had hired and they allowed me to do that free of charge. It's a good location in that you can get to the cliffs in a cab in 10-15 minutes the cab ride is under 10 dollars. On the other side you can go to the water park (small but fun for kids) which is only 5 minutes away in a cab. There are a shop or two where within a ten-minute walk toward the cliffs where you can buy snacks. We had to buy milk for our 2-yr old so this was good. If you walk on the beach you have access to all the bars and restaurants from all the other nicer hotels. So no need to pay more money elsewhere just to sleep. However, if you're looking for a luxurious resort-type experience; this is not your pick. White sands is an average hotel with average amenities. For us, that was all we required.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are quieter but the beach side is more convenient. Right on the water wher...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jay M
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
So true, we are not expensive and that is why we get voted best value in Negril so often.

I hear you. Slow food has been an issue. We recently hired a new chef, we hope she can turn it around faster. Thanks for your patience when you were here.

Please note our pool is cleaned on a regular basis. I can say with confidence is it clean. As for ping-pong equipment. The paddles and balls tend to go ‘walking’. We have plenty extra equipment in the office if you had asked. Sorry for this, I will go check after I reply to your review and if anything needs to be added to the stock, I will do it.

Love to read your comments about the staff being helpful. They are what makes White Sands such a special place.

Negril is a somewhat of a unique destination by Caribbean standards because it is really 2 resorts in one. We have our awesome beach and we have the cliffs. I always encourage our guests to spend an afternoon or two up on the cliffs at the many restaurants and if they are brave….jump off and enjoy the ocean !

I agree with you 100%, if you are looking for a luxurious hotel, we are not a good fit. There are plenty of places in Negril where you can spend $350 - $700 a night if that is what you want and desire. We are simple and affordable, glad it fit your style.

Thanks for the review and look forward to hosting you again soon.

NEW YORK
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed at White Sands from July 1 to the 7th, our apt was # 4 . I must say the apartment is the reason for my 4 stars, it was spacious and clean . For four adults and a pre teen , we had plenty of room, we were never on top of each other . We did not really eat at the White sands restaurant, we took the taxi into town and purchased what we needed for the week. We cooked most of our meals in the spacious kitchen, it was everything we needed , if you are on a budget taking an apt is a good deal . I must say we enjoyed how close the beach was to our room, we simply came out of our room and walked a few paces to the beach . The water was excellent , the surrounding areas was so picturesque, we spent some of the best part of our stay in the water . I must mention a jewel we discovered at White sands , it is Mr Norman aka Patti man , Patti man is a staple on the beach, he arrives daily with fresh patties to sell up and down the beach , I discovered that Patti man also is a taxi driver and he also does sight seeing . We booked him for a few trips and believe me , he is courteous , kind and patient . His prices were lower than all the other drivers that approached us , and I thank God we found him. Trust me folks, you wont go wrong , he waited for us and took us to places outside of our arrangement for no extra charges . Mr Norman , the beach and my family made this trip great , I do not recommend this hotel for teens especially if they have no one else their age to hang with . And I was not happy about the mosquitos, I believe the hotel can do more to handle the mosquito issue. There are a lot of broken bottles lining the wall , I know these bottles are use to prevent ppl from climbing over to White Sands property , and I appreciate the thought for our safety but when the rain falls , the water is sitting right there in the broken bottles , and this keeps the mosquitos around longer . All in all , housekeeping was wonderful , and the place was clean , relaxing and pleasant . Please try the soup lady, if you are on a budget , she makes the best soup. Her little shop is located across from the club, she sells soup and porridge all day. Ask any of the staff , they will point you in her direction . . Her red peas soup was the hit of our group , could eat some right now ....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NADINEL12
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Glad you enjoyed our One Bedroom Apartment. They are very large units and ideal for families. Very cool that you cooked meals here. All our One Bedroom Apartments have kitchens, but I must tell you that few clients actually cook in them.

We are blessed with being in one of the quietest and best parts of the beach. Glad you liked the view. I have not met Mr. ‘Norman’ Patty Mon, but I have met quite a few other Patty Guys ! Patties are a Jamaican tradition and I hope all guests enjoy them while they are on island.

Your comment about teens strikes me as a bit odd as we do host many families who have only a single son or teenage daughter. I guess it all depends on how each individual child is able to keep busy without other teens to hang with. My teenage daughter has been here solo for the past month and is having a great time catching up on her reading, swimming and taking it easy before she starts university next month. Every child is different, for sure.

I am sorry to say we cannot do anything more about the mosquitos. Whether you live in the, Caribbean, Latin America or Alaska for that matter….mosquitos are here to stay. The bottles that were put on top of the wall were a mistake by the contractor who built the wall. They have been knocked down. But trust me, this does not contribute to the mosquitos in Negril. The only prevention you can do when you travel, or when you are in your own backyard, is to use Off Spray.

The really cool part about your review is how glad you were that you got to meet locals. That is an experience tourists will NEVER get if they stay at an all-inclusive. So for me, this is the part about your review that I love the most. And I hope many people understand just how cool Jamaica is when you stay at a small property and meet the locals. It is what traveling is all about.

Thank you for taking the time to write in, glad you had a great time and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

MN
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have stayed at white sands about 8 times, winter break, spring break, with family or friends and this April i came on my own. Yes a week solo, but no worries, i knew the staff would be there to greet me as many have become like friends over the years, I was warmly welcomed and felt right at home and the other guests i met that week were friendly and fun. White Sands is just that kind of place, a laid back, easy going hotel where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful beach, and all it has to offer. The staff is wonderful, friendly, always ready to help in any way. I have stayed in several different rooms from the one bedroom apartment to the garden style single room, always clean and comfortable. Really like having a fridge, AC and the patio/balcony. White sands is a great hotel for the price, fits my budget, right in the middle of the beach, has all that you need, I have stayed at a few other places, and spent way to much for a bunch of frills and fluff i never used, as i spend most of my time on the beach in the Jamican sun with a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand:) I just booked again for 2 weeks over winter break!!

Room Tip: Garden side has the pool for early morning sunshine:)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BeachesMn
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Great to host you again. Solo, friends, family, no matter. We will always take care of you. Your reasons for liking White Sands and why it is a good fit for you, is exactly what we emphasize as our offering. Clean, comfortable and affordable with a staff that will always be there for you.

Smart to book in advance for winter, we tend to sell out quickly.

Enjoy the rest of the summer and see you when it starts getting chilly up your way.

Independence, Missouri
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have been going to Negril for 22 years and this was our first experience at White Sands. We read these TripAdvisor reviews religiously and carefully and thought it looked like a quaint, affordable place with lots of satisfied vacationers, so we booked a room and headed down for a 12-day stay the first half of July 2013.

I'm a positive person, so I will start with the things we really liked.

The size of the room-- we got a deluxe room on the second floor (D3) on the beach side, and were pleasantly surprised at how spacious yet simple it was. Granted, we do not spend too much time in our room during the day, but it was nice to have the space and cleanliness. It was very accomodating for all of our stuff and we never felt cramped. The bathroom was adequately sized and there is a large walk-in closet for more storage. The room also had a remote controlled, quiet air conditioner, a ceiling fan, and refrigerator.

Our wonderful maid, Peaches-- This may not count as a big thing for some, but she was simply awesome. She was very friendly and always greeted us with a smile. She cleaned our room spotless everyday and was there with a helping hand for anything we needed. We requested a coffeemaker and pillows on day one and got both straight away. The best maid we have had in Negril, or anywhere else we have vacationed for that matter. Give that girl a raise.

The other guests-- White Sands has a small but cozy gathering area around the bar/restaurant/beach area. It's very condusive to meeting people and we met some really great couples and families this trip, which ended up being the highlight of our whole stay here.

The security boxes at the front desk-- Although they are out of sight, which we were a little leary of, the desk attendant and guest both have to use a key to open. This put our mind at ease and all of our valuables were safely kept in the office.

The garden side of the resort-- beautiful plants and flowers, quiet, nice pool and game room. Honestly, I've never considered staying across that crazy highway, but in our opinion, this was the better side of the resort.

We were there during the owners' family reunion. Albeit, the resort was pretty full (and the beach seemed even fuller) they were all very nice people and always made us feel welcome. You can tell from the get-go that this is a hands-on resort, run by people who truly care about their business... and that counts for something.

With that being said, now the not so good:

Bedroom walls-- in a sentence.... You've GOT to be kidding me. As I mentioned, we stayed in a deluxe room, and as far as noises go, there may as well not have been a wall at all. No kidding. With opened slats near the ceiling and the wall itself being paper thin, you could literally hear people whispering, talking, shouting, singing, music, dresser drawers, hair dryers, etc., etc., etc., etc,. We really couldn't move anywhere because the resort was almost full. This one thing put a pretty big damper on our stay at White Sands, and I won't get into the rediculously loud concert that was a few resorts down and our "night of living hell" we had to endure between the decible-crushing loud music noise and the people in the rooms around us that were up ALL night long. Really wish I would have brought my shooting range earphones for this trip. This was probably our single biggest issue with the room/resort.

The north wall-- From what we gathered, there have been a few theft incidents at the resort over the last few years, so the owners acted and put barbed wire and affixed broken bottles/glass shards in cement on top of the wall. So, you walk out on to your vacation room balcony with a view of what looks like a prison wall with spot lamps, barbed wire, and broken glass. Not pretty, but again, we understand that it serves a purpose. On the other side of this wall is an unused/unguarded lot that is basically a bush pathway that many use to get to the beach. It was a bit unsightly for us. Again, we're not first-timers so we are accustomed to the 'element', but I can only imagine how newbs to Jamaica react to this 'view' from your room (see attached pic).

The help-- It was about a 50/50 mixture of those who were friendly and those who simply wouldn't give you the time of day. Not a huge deal though. We go on vacation to have fun and be irie, but by the end of the trip it was getting a little old and this was also a bit disappointing. Granted, it was our first stay at WS and we aren't acquainted with those that work here as we are at other places but still a simple hello or a 'May I help you' instead of 'what do you want??' would go a long way. This type of attitude can and will drive potential returning customers (like us) away.

Waiting for service-- I have been going to Jamaica for over two decades and am more than used to waiting for a meal, beverages, or any other service. It's never usually an issue while we are on vacation, which, to us means no hurries no worries. However, when you order breakfast and don't get your meal for over two hours, this is a bit over the top... even for Jamaican standards. Our neighbors across the way also commented about having to wait almost an hour to be greeted with menus. Needless to say, that morning they got up and ate elsewhere. There was another couple that I heard took 3 1/2 hours to be served breakfast.... and actually waited for it!!

The size of the beach-- quaint, but also crowded. Nice if you are a social butterfly for the entirety of your trip, but no so much so if you just want to relax and have some quiet time. The beach loungers were so crammed together, you could barely move yourself and/or the chair to another spot, unless you were going out into the direct sun. If you got out there a little later in the morning, you probably weren't going to get any shade.

With these negatives having been said, we still realize (and took this into account for entirety of our stay) it's a budget resort and there's only so much money to go around and so much that can be fixed/upgraded, but some of these issues should really be attended to so people like us, who absolutely look forward to coming back to Negril every year, and spent our hard earned money to do so, will consider returning to vacation at White Sands.

Room Tip: Stay on the south side that faces Nirvana. Beware of connected rooms. Thin walls. If experiencing...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BrianAmy
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
I sincerely thank you for taking the time to write a review. Well balanced and thoughtful.
Glad you liked the room and yes, Peaches is an amazing woman. She has been with us for 20 years and takes care of everyone with style and grace.

There was a Moo-Young family reunion recently, hope you were able to meet some of the family. Very nice to hear you did meet some great couples and families. I get emails all the time from first time visitors who say the same thing and actually end up corresponding with these same people throughout the year and usually end up booking their return vacation at the same time. It is a great extension of our family owned and managed resort.

Sorry you felt the room was noisy. The walls are not actually paper thin, they are reinforced concrete block. The issue might be where the cedar shingle roof line meets the concrete wall. I will have to take a look at it to see if there is a way to add more material to this seam to make it more sound proof.

As for the loud concert, they do happen on occasion in Negril at the Waves location on the beach. Many tourists love to attend the concerts, and some are forced to listen to them when they are not even there. Such is your case. They do not happen often but when they do, you will definitely hear them.

It is fairly common practice in commercial applications to use wire on walls for security. I do understand that it is currently not very appealing to the eye but we have not completed the work. The next thing we will do, starting next week, will be to install lush landscaping along the wall, primarily with beautiful bougainvillea plants, to completely cover the wall and wire. We think in about 4-6 months it will be fully covered so you will just see lovely landscaping. In your post you commented how you really liked the landscaping on the garden side. This is exactly what we will be doing along this wall on the beach side.

The issue with the grill is a concern. We are actually in search of a new chef, our current chef left recently and the grill staff has had to do double duty to not only cook but to also serve. This has caused a great deal of stress on the existing staff. We hope to hire a new chef soon, we are currently interviewing. That will allow the wait staff to provide better service to our guests. Your comments are well noted. The goal is to have the dining experience somewhat prompt and enjoyable.

We certainly want to earn your business and hope to host you again on your next trip. Thank you again for taking the time to write in.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at White Sands Negril for the first time which is located in the middle of 7 mile beach and is a great location. Upon arriving we were dropped off at the front desk which is located on the garden side and checked in with no problem. A guy came to help us with our luggage which was carried by an old dolly as we walked to the beach side. The room we had booked was a standard room on the beach side that included no view of the beach/ocean. The room is very basic but clean. AC worked great and we also had a mini fridge in the room. We booked our whole stay (7 days) there but after staying 2 nights we had to get out.

The reasons why we could no longer stay was first and foremost our safety. We felt extremely unsafe and uneasy staying at this hotel. Our balcony overlooked a scary alley way and during our short stay there they were putting a barbwire fence up. While taking a shower the water would randomly turn off, this happened at least 3 times per shower which consist of 15-20 mins. The bar was two for one drinks but the bartender was unfriendly and there was never a spot at the bar (seemed all the locals came to drink here).

Overall our stay at White Sands was not very warm and welcoming. Although the room was clean and the front desk staff and manager were nice we would not stay here again nor recommend it to someone that wants to feel like they are on a vacation. It felt as if we were camping in a foreign country. We did end up getting a refund for the rest of our nights we had booked (which is why I rated this hotel a 3/5 and that our room was clean despite the other downfalls) and moved a couple hotels down to Sandy Haven Resort which was like night and day compared to White Sands!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Samantha D
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. With all due respect I do not understand how you can describe your experience at White Sands as ‘camping’ when you have a room with air-conditioning, a refrigerator, private shower, balcony and daily maid service. I camped at Yosemite in a cloth tent with communal public showers and paid $125 per night. And that was ‘upscale’ camping. White Sands is not camping.

Many people who have posted reviews at White Sands specifically state how safe and comfortable they feel on property. I encourage you to read previous posts. I can assure readers that we do not have any ‘scary’ alley ways. The Standard Room beach side rooms you stayed in overlook a very well landscaped wide walkway that actually used to be the driveway until we eliminated the ability of cars to use it. It is now just a very wide and open walkway.

I am glad we were able accommodate you when you requested to move to another property but I wish you had asked the front desk to show you upgrade rooms. We have Deluxe Rooms as well as One Bedroom Apartments with televisions and full kitchens. The room you booked is the smallest and least expensive room on property.

You stated that White Sands and Sandy Haven are very different properties. I agree with you. It would also have been very helpful if you had also included in your review that the rates at White Sands range from $57 - $138 per night double occupancy; and the rates at Sandy Haven range from $238 - $458 per night double occupancy.

We are known as offering the best value on the beach and we pride ourselves on our simple and clean rooms. On our website we describe the experience at White Sands as…”a laid back, informal resort with none of the trappings of a traditional hotel. It is an ideal vacation destination for the undemanding traveler who prefers the simple ambiance of a family run resort to that of a traditional hotel.”

I do hope you return to Negril, it is the most authentic Caribbean beach towns one can experience. I would gladly offer you a preferred rate in one of our larger rooms to earn back your business if you allow me the opportunity. Just ask for Michael.

Kindest regards,