“No frills, basic, not for a first time visitor, but worth the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Sands Negril

Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Accokeek, Maryland
“No frills, basic, not for a first time visitor, but worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stole a deal off Groupon for this resort. I stayed 3 days. I chose to go with a smaller resort because I knew I wouldn't stay on the resort much. There wasn't a television, but who needs a television in Jamaica? While the room was spacious, it didn't come with much besides a small fridge. The bed was as hard as sleeping on the floor. But I guess after years of sleeping on a memory foam mattress, what could I expect? When I first pulled into the resort I was like "Oh no". From the outside it is an eye sore. But again, the inside of the room makes up for it. It was actually larger than the rooms I stayed in on the much larger resorts. I noticed a lot of the people on the resorts looked as if they vacationed the entire summer there based on the low rates. Its right in the heart of Negril. Just make sure that despite the advice given, exchange your money into Jamaican. The staff at the main office was EXTREMELY helpful. Suggesting good eats (Sweet Spice has the best oxtails EVER) and letting you know how not to get beat by the "taxi's" (every person that is a taxi aint a taxi). All and all I would stay again if I was going to stay for an extended period of time.

Room Tip: There are no rooms with a view of the ocean. Take whatever room you get because you are still going...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelinTJ17205
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Glad you took advantage of the Groupon offer. Not sure if we will do it again.

Glad the staff was extremely helpful and you will be coming back.

We look forward to hosting you.

White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Temple Hills, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the White Sands June 27-30 because of an amazing deal we got through Groupon. This was my fourth trip to Jamaica but my firs to this resort. I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised. Once you're done and tired of the all inlcusives with bad to mediocre food, less than personable service, and obnoxious crowds come on down to Negril and enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of White Sands. The staff was awesome. Jennifer and Ariel at the hotel restaurant were great. Henry and the staff at the front desk made us feel right at home. Our room was always spotless thanks to Andrene. The beach was clean and not crowded and the hotel itself is in a great location near restaurants and night life, but far enough from the crowds that they are not intrusive. I could not have asked for a better more relaxing weekend get away. I will definitely recommend to friends. As a side note...i noticed several females vacationing alone. I see this as a testoimony to the friendliness and safety of the hotel and the area in general.

Room Tip: Save a few dollars and stay on the garden side. You have to cross the street to the beach but since...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melanie3845
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Love the title of your review...So true !

Another Groupon winner...good to hear you took advantage of our offer.

Glad the staff was 'awesome' and made you feel right at home. We love taking care of our clients.

Having a relaxing Caribbean vacation is one of the best things to do in life. We look forward to making your life more relaxing in the near future.

Teaneck, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I just came back from an 8 day stay at the White Sands with my husband and 5 year old. We rented a 1 bedroom apartment which was steps away from the beautiful 7 mile beach. We had a full kitchen, LR, DR, full size bathroom with 2 sinks, BR with 2 beds and 2 beds in the LR (fyi- the beds are not comfortable.) and a patio. This place has many room options to rent so due your due diligence. They have a bar with 2 for 1 drinks and restaurant which serves breakfast and lunch. The staff is plenty and the security does watch your things for you. We rented a car so we traveled all over Negril and ate up the cliffs several times. You can walk to places which may seem far to non walkers but its the islands way of life. If you are looking to be pampered stay at a all inclusive if not this is a wonderful place. You can sit and or walk on the beach and buy fresh fruits, patties, pastries etc. Give it a try, your vacation is what you make of it.

Room Tip: Splurge on the 1 bedroom right on the beach
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Glad you had a nice stay with us, we try our best to keep you happy.

Thanks for the recommendation and for taking time to write your review.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

What an awesome stay this was! The location was great right on 7 mile beach where they have their own bar to have breakfast and lunch in. Chairs and area for just laying out on the beach. You have boat rides and other water activities available to you. There was a great restaurant down the street just a few minute walk away with the best grilled lobster, It was night time so I didn't see a name to it but it had a sign on sidewalk with menu items. What a pleasant surprise that was. I would love to come back here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Great to read you had an 'awesome' stay with us. Nothing makes us happier than reading a review like yours.

Glad you would love to come back because we would love to host you.

Looking forward to sharing our beach with you again soon.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

4 of us stayed here at the 2nd leg of our Jamaica trip. I'll admit, the place was so cheap that I was a little nervous about what to expect. Granted, there are not TVs or fancy tubs but it gave us everything we needed.....a bed, wifi, AC, a mini fridge, bathroom and even a little balcony. And it was very very clean. It's right on the beach. Great location and the people were very nice.
We were barely in the room anyway. The place is right on 7-mile beach so we spend most the time there. There was a bar that had pretty good specials. A limited kitchen but you could walk along the beach or the road to find food. There is a big club right up the road. There are also some smaller spots along the beach and Margaritaville is a couple minutes up the beach too.
Negirl is a very simple place. It's very relaxing. It's enjoyed better without all the bells and whistles.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that the hotel is on both sides of the road. So for some of the rooms you have to cros...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmpressD
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks...we think we do a pretty good job at what we do and glad you agree.

Glad you loved our location and the staff treated you well. We try our best to please.

Come back soon and enjoy some more sunsets with us !!

Cheers
Fayetteville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay at White Sands. The staff was very helpful, kind and informative. I met a group that stayed at another hotel which was 50% more than what I paid and all they got for that was a tv... I don't watch much tv. I had a fridge they did not - the fridge came in handy.

Being a woman and being there alone I felt safe and had a wonderful time. My next trip I will be staying in the same place if I am in Negril.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Carolyn S
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking time to write a review.

We have TONS of single women who stay with us, they all love it hear. Glad you felt safe, you always will.

Wonderful to read you will be staying with us again when you travel to Negril, we look forward to hosting you whether you are solo or with friends.

Just come... !!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've stayed here twice. Once on the garden side and once in the apartment, beach side. Both experiences were good. No complaints about either. The staff is friendly and the food is pretty good. Prices on rooms and food are reasonable. I like the happy hour drink specials and prices. The bartenders (Tony and Paul) are both nice guys. If you like staying on the beach then you may want to consider White Sands. Keep in mind that they DO NOT have Tvs in the rooms unless you stay in the apartments or Villa. It wasn't a major issue for me but I know for some it can be.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are somewhat larger.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danger1105
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Wonderful to host you for a second time, thank you for writing a travel review.

Glad the staff treated you well and you enjoyed the food. And yes, the Happy Hour drinks are pretty darn SPECIAL !! Tony and Paul take care of everyone. Best bar on the beach....for sure.

Looking forward to hosting you for trip #3.