“Laid back and low key” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Laid back and low key”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Came in on a Friday and left on a Tuesday. Secluded, clean and very relaxing with the essentials for a functional getaway. No need for a TV or fancy gadgets although there is WiFi. We stayed in a garden side room (which was preferred) with just a quick cross of the street to 7 mile beach. Daily drink specials at the bar that provide plenty of variety and flavors of the Caribbean while not skipping out on the alcohol. This was our first time in Jamaica and between the staff, locals as well as transportation and guides we felt very welcome and safe. I would absolutely recommend this place to someone who is looking to get away, especially as a couple, where there are no distractions from the outside world and you get to experience Jamaica in its fullest.

The only negative, if you can even call it that- more like nitpicking is the transparency of the walls, more so the windows. You can sometimes hear into the next room but really didn't pose an issue.

2 Thank Matthew W
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
You hit the nail on the head...Laid Back And Low Key is who we are and what we are all about !!

Thanks for the feedback and we look forward to hosting you when you return.

White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lima, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The BAD: My sister, the boys and I are checking out today. Our Beds were HARD.
THe GOOD: We will stay again! NO BUGS in our room!!
We brought our teen boys with us for this visit to Jamaica so we rented a standard and kitchenette on the garden side. The set up met our needs and was clean with a great staff. Lloyd picked us up at the airport and took us to the supermarket. We cooked most meals in. Ate at White Sands Breakfast one morning and it was good and no one walked away hungry! We went on a sunset catamaran dinner and snorkel tour and to SeaStar Resort for dinner and show. Nice bar on the beach. Negril Peace Officers patrol the beach heavily so we always felt safe.
We will visit Negril again and would definitely stay here again.
This is not a 5 star New York property but this is a clean safe solid 3.5.If you need something.... All you have to do is ask and someone will get it for you.

Room Tip: We chose Garden side rooms and walked across the road to go to the beach. The rooms are more quite o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank aNwElNad
Sounds like a movie !! ....The Return of White Sands....Round 2...Haaa

Glad you and your family had a nice time here. Lloyd is a great driver and a wonderful introduction to Jamaica for those who are first time visitors. He can fill you with all sorts of local knowledge during the drive along the coast from MoBay to Negril.

A sunset catamaran ride is a must while you are here, glad you experienced it.

Come back soon, we look forward to sharing our beach with you !!

Cedar Grove, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hello!
My stay was during 4th of July week.

I took advantage of the groupon deal and stayed 5 nights. I did not upgrade to a beachside room, I chose to stay in the garden side. For under $40 dollars, I honestly feel it's a great deal for what I've paid. (Considering I live in NJ and you couldn't even get a motel room for that price.)

What I got:
-Clean Room
-Double Bed (mine wasn't hard, it was actually quite comfortable)
-Two bath towels with one towel for the floor for stepping out of the shower. (no hand/facial towels)
-STRONG AC (the quiet kind too!! none of that old leaky air conditioning units that keeps you up at night.)
-Three mini bars of soap.
-Mini Fridge
-Balcony
-Wi-Fi in rooms and on beach.

I did my research prior to my arrival and knew what to expect. I brought my own beach towels and if you don't want to bring your own, theres a gift shop next to the property on the garden side that sells everything under the sun. I brought my own toiletries which I generally do anyway.

There is housekeeping everyday.

I absolutely felt I got an awesome deal and to be on a beach front property is a plus! But I echo the other reviewers, this is a no frills hotel and don't expect any bells and whistles.

Although this was a trip for me to decompress, it was great to have wifi throughout the entire property.

So yup, this property got everything I needed to make this stay enjoyable!

4 Thank Sapphirina
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Glad you agree with 90% of guests who visit us. We are known as offering the best value on the Negril beach and we are proud of it. Simple, clean, fun and laid back.

That was our first Groupon offer. Not sure if we will do it again, so glad you were able to take advantage.

We very much appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed trip report.

Hurry back, we look forward to hosting you.

Catonsville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Well when I first walked into my room I thought this place was a dump. After a few days though I realized it was perfect, between the room being so inexpensive, close to the beach, decent bar on property and helpful staff. Don't always judge a book by it's cover. You are on 7 mile beach by the way!

Room Tip: Try to book the building on the ocean side this way you avoid having to cross the road to get to the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Glad we eventually won your heart.

Look forward to hosting you again.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel have been proposed to us by an agency : we checked the website of the hotel which was not so bad and customers comments on trip advisor : as usual there were very bad comments but a lot good. We decided to book it.

What a disappointment ! First impression was bad : the place looked old and not so nice. The welcome at the reception was not warm at all. We had one of the best room : beach side, D1 : big but charmless. This is for our feelings.

Now the facts.
Beach is beautiful but as everywhere in Negril.
No noise at night.
Room was clean.

But :
No beach towel, no safety box in the rooms (safety box are all at the reception in a little shelve that I did not trust). Resort is divided in 2 parts separated by a road with quite a traffic. We stayed in the beach part : no garden there : a narrow alley to reach the beach where you have concrete constructions and an ugly sun deck (check on the website : why would someone need a sun deck next to a beautiful beach). To go to the swimming pool from the beachside (or reach the beach from the garden side) you have to cross the road : not very secure with children.
No dinner proposed.

We looked around the first day and had the feeling that they were many other places at the same price (or cheaper) more charming than this resort which seemed to us the less nice.

We quit this resort the second day and move to another.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Definitely seems like you would be better served by finding another property.

Hope you enjoyed Negril.

Accokeek, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stole a deal off Groupon for this resort. I stayed 3 days. I chose to go with a smaller resort because I knew I wouldn't stay on the resort much. There wasn't a television, but who needs a television in Jamaica? While the room was spacious, it didn't come with much besides a small fridge. The bed was as hard as sleeping on the floor. But I guess after years of sleeping on a memory foam mattress, what could I expect? When I first pulled into the resort I was like "Oh no". From the outside it is an eye sore. But again, the inside of the room makes up for it. It was actually larger than the rooms I stayed in on the much larger resorts. I noticed a lot of the people on the resorts looked as if they vacationed the entire summer there based on the low rates. Its right in the heart of Negril. Just make sure that despite the advice given, exchange your money into Jamaican. The staff at the main office was EXTREMELY helpful. Suggesting good eats (Sweet Spice has the best oxtails EVER) and letting you know how not to get beat by the "taxi's" (every person that is a taxi aint a taxi). All and all I would stay again if I was going to stay for an extended period of time.

Room Tip: There are no rooms with a view of the ocean. Take whatever room you get because you are still going...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelinTJ17205
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Glad you took advantage of the Groupon offer. Not sure if we will do it again.

Glad the staff was extremely helpful and you will be coming back.

We look forward to hosting you.

Temple Hills, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the White Sands June 27-30 because of an amazing deal we got through Groupon. This was my fourth trip to Jamaica but my firs to this resort. I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised. Once you're done and tired of the all inlcusives with bad to mediocre food, less than personable service, and obnoxious crowds come on down to Negril and enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of White Sands. The staff was awesome. Jennifer and Ariel at the hotel restaurant were great. Henry and the staff at the front desk made us feel right at home. Our room was always spotless thanks to Andrene. The beach was clean and not crowded and the hotel itself is in a great location near restaurants and night life, but far enough from the crowds that they are not intrusive. I could not have asked for a better more relaxing weekend get away. I will definitely recommend to friends. As a side note...i noticed several females vacationing alone. I see this as a testoimony to the friendliness and safety of the hotel and the area in general.

Room Tip: Save a few dollars and stay on the garden side. You have to cross the street to the beach but since...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melanie3845
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Love the title of your review...So true !

Another Groupon winner...good to hear you took advantage of our offer.

Glad the staff was 'awesome' and made you feel right at home. We love taking care of our clients.

Having a relaxing Caribbean vacation is one of the best things to do in life. We look forward to making your life more relaxing in the near future.