White Sands Negril
CocoLaPalm Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$99
  • Pool
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$193
Hedonism II(Negril)
US$767
  • Breakfast included
Negril Tree House Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$148
Orbitz.com
Xtabi Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$484
US$469
Bookit.com
All reviewsbeach sideone bedroom apartmentdaily drink specialsprivate poolsun deckbudget hotelpattiesfull kitchensecond homefront officebeach barhome away from homemini fridgerooms are basiclaid backbeach securityseven mile beach
Reviewed 6 December 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week at the White Sands and found it to be perfect for our needs. We booked at the last minute through Travelocity and got a fabulous deal - airfare for 2 out of Detroit and 6 nights at the White Sands for $821!!!

The hotel is located on what seemed to us to be the best section of the beach. The beach is wide there and seemed to be the most calm on windy days. The section is also a sort of midpoint in terms of the character of the beach, if not geographically. South of the White Sands the hotels and restaurants get a little funkier and Jamaican, to the north it becomes more Americanized and the all-inclusives dominate the beach. The section around the White Sands is sort of between the two in character, not TOO funky, not very Americanized. We thought it was just right :-) There are lots of restaurant and bars within walking distance.

Our room was on the Gardenside, across the road from the beach. The rooms on the beach side do not have a view of the beach, and overlook the driveway. The grounds across the road are very lush and nicely kept, our room was on the ground floor with a nice little patio looking into the gardens. It was very simple but roomy and clean. The bathroom was a little worse for wear but clean. As other reviewers have mentioned, the towels are pretty minimal but adequate.

We rented a kitchenette room, thinking we'd have some breakfasts in, but didn't use it at all because there are so many easy food options within walking distance. The grill at the White Sands is ok, we had a couple of breakfasts there. They are slow but the cook chopped the vegetables for my omelet from scratch. Besides, it's the Caribbean - just chill! As mentioned, the bar specials are good.

We had a great time and felt the White Sands was a terrific value. But be forewarned, this is a place to drop off the planet for a while. No TV, no phones, no dressing for dinner. If you want luxury, this is not the place. This is just a very laid-back beach getaway for a very good price.

We have a beach trip to Costa Rica planned for March but are thinking we may cancel that and come back to the White Sands - we loved Negril and could spend about half of what we would to go to CR.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Casitagirl
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I recently stayed at White Sands (Aug 9-14 08). The experience was pretty OK. The hotel is very basic as you would expect. It's somewhere to lay your head and house your belongings. I was there with my daughter. The resort is quite safe. At no time did we feel intimidated or threatened by any of the locals nearby. In fact, it was the exact opposite. People were very kind and helpful.

The lady ( There are 2 but the larger of the 2 ladies is the one who is most often on reception) on the front desk is a phenomenon all to herself. If you're expecting common courtesy and a happy smiling face, then brace yourself.....misery does have a name a face!

The owner of the hotel and his nephew also work there and they are extremely friendly and more than helpful. The rooms are cleaned everyday and the linens changed on your bed/s. Towels are also provided. If you are one of those people who is always super prepared and carries your own towels, do not change now.
Some of our towels had seen much better days...

To sum up, Clean, tidy, friendly, courteous. The hotel is actually split into 2. One side on the beach side of the road and the other across the road in beautiful gardens with a pool. The other hotels have music playing at nights so the garden side is the quieter of the 2. You only have to cross the road to get to the beach anyway, and what a fabulous beach it is!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Cinthdacizer
Reviewed 6 August 2008

This was my sixth visit to Jamaica, my second to Negril and the first visit to the island for my twelve year old nephew. We spent three great nights at Toby Resort in Montego Bay and then were to spend three nights in Negril at White Sands. The first impression at this property was not a positive one and set the tone for what was about to come. The office was very small and dark and the clerk asked my name and gave me a wrinkled sheet of paper with property details. I confirmed we had a deluxe room on the upper level and she said yes. We were given a key to room D3 and she summoned Henry to help us across the road with our luggage. We climbed the stairs, Henry opened the door and my jaw dropped. Now...I knew in advance the rooms had no TV or phones and that was not an issue. But the room was very dark, unappealing, very uninviting and worst of all was near 100 degrees. I shuttered to think what the standard rooms must be offering if that was a deluxe. I gave an Academy award winning performance in hiding my disappointment from my nephew but knew instantly staying there would spoil our great vacation together. So I told him we were going to explore and see what else was available despite the fact that the room was prepaid. On a 2004 visit to Negril I had stayed next door at CoCo LaPalm and went there to inquire but they had no rooms availalble to due to the upcoming Emancipation Day on August 1st. They recommended we try the For Real Resort next door and they said they had two nights accomodations but not three, again due to the impending crowds converging on Negril. So out of pocket I paid for two nights at For Real and my vacation was salvaged. The room, staff, property at For Real was just that...For Real!! (Seperate review of that property to follow). We did go back to White Sands for our final night but we had had so much fun the entire week that we were able to endure that final night. I am a seasoned traveler who has been in the hospitality industry for 25 years and have stayed at all types of properties with all kinds of ratings. My biggest disappointment overall is that White Sands is 180 degress from the traditional Jamaican hospitality, even the bartender and waitstaff had major attitudes which was the first time I had experienced that in all six of my visits to Jamaica. The only thing positive I have to say about this property are things over which they had no control...the wonderful beach, crystal clear water and amazing sunset. This property does not deserve any stars let alone two.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
9  Thank WBNVA
Reviewed 1 August 2008

We chose White Sands because of its mostly positive reviews, price, and location. This doesn't compare to staying at an all-inclusive, but it's a great value. The owner and the housekeepers were very friendly.
We arrived at night and so it was dark and we were a little unsure, but it's actually a great location. It opens right onto seven mile beach and is beautiful. The room was basic but clean and had a/c. The restaurant/bar is convenient for a drink and right on the beach. On the beach some people might be annoyed at being approached about buying gonja all the time. About half the people you walk by will offer it and the other half are selling water sports- many people offering both (which did get a little annoying happening all the time). Anyway, the sand is pretty white and the water is clear blue. White Sands had floats to take in the water. We took a jet ski close to Booby Cay, the island that's farther down the beach.
Negril is a good place for a beach vacation and White Sands, while nothing luxurious, is a great place to stay for the price.

• Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank globo8
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Like most on this blog, I booked for price and location. That was in September 07. I returned in December 07 and May 08. I stayed at the White Sands all three times usually ending each one-week stay with a couple days up on the rocks after beach burnout.

The White Sands is by no means the Ritz-Carlton but as a vacation value, it's hard to beat. The section of beach the hotel occupies is among the best and the equal of any of the all-inclusives. I have yet to stay on the beach side of the resort because the garden side is much quieter and peaceful and only a two minute walk to the beach. Walk either way down the beach for great eating, bars and beach. $5 will get you a cab ride to just about anywhere you need to go. Cut the deal before you get in the cab and look for a red license plate.

The bar has 1/2 price specials daily and both Tony and Paul will take great great care of you. Ledon, the beach guard keeps a watchful eye on the beach hustlers and you don't have worry about your stuff while in the water. I am not their most frequent visitor but Francis and most of the staff call me by name.

Last December when I left a couple expensive camera lenses in my room, Francis the manager had me on the cell phone before I was halfway to the airport (too late to turn around) to inform me. He was willing to ship it back to the U.S. for me but I told him to please just keep it until my return. Last May I got my lenses back and never had a worry about it. Its a family run resort that has been here for decades and many of the guests are return customers.

The staff are all friendly but not in an insincere in-your-face manner. Laid back is an apt summary. I am a big water lover and the water is pristine. For $20 you can take a glass bottom boat out to a small reef for snorkeling. Bring a beach towel.

I'll be there for my fourth time this September and look forward to seeing everyone there again. A superior value.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank BAKslider