“White Sands- Terrible!!”
Review of White Sands Negril

White Sands Negril
Ranked #23 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 11 December 2004

We booked to go to White Sands about 10mths ago, I did everything possible to see what this place was like. We booked a garden view with kitchen.

Upon arrivial we found it was more like a basic travel lodge than a hotel. The room was so dirty and smelt of gas, it was dark and needed a complete re-vamp. We complained to Francis very nicely and he moved us to the sea view rooms accross the rd. This was not much better, we had to sweep the floor as it was full of dirt, there was no tea/coffee making facalities, no tv (most guest houses even have tv;s in the rooms) and no info on the island. No phones in the room. The ac was poor and the lighting so so poor. The electric was soooooo slow when drying our hair , other hotels are just like the uk and england. Which we found out when we moved hotel.

We decided to leave after 3 days when our deposit was up, because on the 2nd night a guest next door brought home some ladies and they were up all night playing music and shouting, etc, until the security guard burst into the room and threw the women out.

Francis did not seem bothered when we told him and even allowed the man to stay on extra days, I guess it was because this hotel was empty compared to others in Negril.

We found so may other places to stay right near White Sands for the same money and they were fantastic places , right on the beach such as MARIPOSA. This is like a top class hotel compared to White Sands and its even cheeper per night.

The locals told me that they too have had many complaints about White Sands.

On nice note I have to say both HENRY AND DONAVAN were fantastic and it was a shame we had to leave them behind.

Maybe Francis could take my comments and do something about White Sands, the swimming pool was empty the whole time as it was dirty and there was a dog running about the place lose all the time. The food in the bar was bad and the bar area was so depressing you would not want to stop there for a drink.

I was not looking for first class, I know you dont spend time in your room on holiday but you do have to wash and sleep there and I would not sleep in a shed at home so why do it abroad.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 30 November 2004

I stayed at White Sands based on the previous reviews and the site says it was voted best value in Negril. It was alright. I stayed in a room that had a gorgeous view! It had a pretty large area right outside the room with a table and two chairs. I overlooked the bar and that beautiful ocean!
I would stay there again, but think the rates for the room were a bit steep for the basic hotel. (we paid $84 per night for 2 people) I think if you are paying around $50 per night, that would be reasonable.

The room had one of the window air conditioners. It just didn't seem to cool the room very well. There was also a ceiling fan. The room had a vaulted ceiling. There were slats in the doors to the balcony and the windows. Although they were shut as tightly as they could be, the warm air still seeps through.

During the heat of the afternoon, after being out on the beach, I like to take a shower, relax with the air conditioning and catch the news on tv. There was no television in the room. This also made life pretty boring when it rained.

There was a small grill/restaurant, but it was closed when we stayed there. It was attached to the bar. This was a nice, small, relaxed bar. They have a television there.

There is also no telephone. Not that I would normally need one, but it would be nice to have a contact number in case an emergency happened at home and someone had to contact me.

It is right on the beach and in walking distance to a lot of restaurants and bars.

4  Thank sherryva
Reviewed 15 November 2004

We had a great time at White Sands....and the surrounding area, though it was too short as a long weekend. Can't beat the price. Took a taxi from the airport. If you just feel like relaxing, everything you need is there - food, drink, water, and sun. If you want to venture out, mopeds are easy. Great relaxed and family friendly atmosphere and the dirty bananas are a signature beverage.

1  Thank iiieeeva1
Reviewed 1 September 2004

My friend and i stayed at White Sands for a few days, however on the day we were to return home our flights were cancelled due to Hurricane Charley.We would like to say thanks to Francis his family and staff for the wonderful services that was provided and for making our stay enjoyable , we are looking forward to our next visit to jamiaca and White Sands will be our home away from home . Nuff Respect Carlene and Suzie

3  Thank passion45
Reviewed 26 August 2004

What the rooms lack in amenities the Staff and Owners make up for in charm and kindness. I spent August 16th thru the 23rd at White Sands and have so many positive things to say about the Hotel and Negril. I loved it so much that I will be back in Negril the first week of February. When people say that you are treated like family, they are not kidding. As a Woman traveling alone, you have to be really careful and not once was I afraid at White Sands. There were so many wondferful people staying at the Hotel who had been staying there for years. All of the positive reviews are true and I would like to thank all at the Hotel, especially Sammy!

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank RobinsGirl
Edmonton, AB Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2004

Spent a week in Negril at the White Sands Hotel. Francis and his family run a hotel that really understands how to make thier guests, from all over the world, feel comfortable and welcome! There are a variety of rooms to choose from. It's private, clean, and most of all a place where you can go for a stress free holiday.

• Stayed: January 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 19 August 2004

I recently returned from Jamaica where I stayed at the White Sands in Negril. (Aug 2 thru Aug 10, 2004) I was part of a group of four, two co-workers and my sister. (This was my second time there, the first time was a group of 14 in June of 2000. 8 of us stayed in the villa and absolutely loved it.) The family that runs the hotel are very friendly and eager to make you feel at home. It was my sisters first time being away from her 4 boys and we were able to rent a cell phone from the hotel. Being able to call them gave her much comfort. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. We took pictures of all of the fruit trees and plants. After seeing the pictures everyone wants to go there. This is an excellent value for the price. Being part of a group of women traveling it is very important to feel safe where ever you stay, and I felt safe there. There is a feeling of family looking out for you. This will definately be where I stay on my next visit. Thanks Frances, Henry, Patrick, Ethel, Tiny, and the rest of the family and staff for making our stay so wonderful and a lifelong memory.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member