“Good Times...”

Ranked #22 of 81 Hotels in Negril
New York
“Good Times...”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

My wife and I escaped the cold in New York City for a sunny trip down to Jamaica. It was our first time to the island so we did a fair amount of research before our trip using trip advisor etc. We read the reviews for White Sands and felt encouraged as we wanted a chilled out holiday and didn't need an all-inclusive place. We booked a beach side room and we were all set.

We did a follow up check of the reviews at the beginning of 2010 and were alarmed to read the review of the folks who were robbed. It was cause for concern and we thought we would cancel our reservation and stay somewhere else. We initiated a dialogue with the managers expressing our concerns and they were forthcoming with what occurred to the previous guests and included their response to trip advisor. They also told us that there are safety deposit boxes at the hotel's office. So, we decided to still stay at White Sands.

We also arranged our transport from Montego Bay to Negril through the hotel and this was executed flawlessly through Paradise Vacations. Our driver, Garfield, who actually owns Paradise Vacations was great and told us about the history of the places we were going through. He was a great introduction to Jamaica....If you are lucky enough to drive with Garfield, just bring up some West Indies cricket and you'll be in for a treat!

Our deluxe room at the hotel was very nice and spacious and very clean. We were happy with the proximity to the beach. Some folks have mentioned the "busy" road between each side of the hotel for going back and forth on each side of the properties. Yes, there are some cars...and yes they drive on the left hand side (like in Australia where we lived before NYC), just look both ways and you'll be fine...It seemed like a country road compared to streets in New York or Sydney.

The stretch of beach in front of White Sands is very pretty and you can choose to bake in the sun or stay in the shade. The water is very clear and blue (like the photos) and gentle with very small waves so its not too rough for kids. We found the various beach vendors to be friendly and if you didn't want anything that they were selling you just say 'no thank you' and they left you alone. We loved the Jamaican pattie men who come down the beach around lunch time as well as the jerk pork man. The people at the hotel were lovely and the security man on the beach was great. He really looked after you.

We had a great time in Jamaica and will definitely be back. We would recommend White Sands to anyone who wants a low key vacation on the beach and just wants to zone out for a while.

If you are worried about your valuables and cash, just use the safety deposit box in the office, which is free and keep your hotel room door locked. You won't need that much cash each day anyways as everything is pretty cheap. As with any traveling around the world whether you're in London, San Francisco, India or Jamaica just keep your wits about you and look after yourself.

Thanks White Sands management and employees for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for your review.

We look forward to hosting you when you return.

White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 January 2010

My home in Negril

I have been to Negril 11 times and have stayed at a variety of inn’s, inclusives, hotels etc.. At White Sands, I have found my home. My wife and I took our 4 daughters who each took a friend so there were 10 of us for 10 days (Christmas through New Years weekend). The management and staff at White Sands have hospitality down to a science! Friendly, no hassle, respectful… every need we had was quickly and efficiently attended to and at the same time our privacy was fully respected. No heavy handed extras or selling as I have experience at some places. The entire property (grounds) and rooms were very clean and in great shape. There is a feeling of family and belonging that every guest shared openly. The staff have all been there for years and years which says a lot to me about how a place is run. Almost all of the guests (and the place was full) were multiple repeat “White Sanders”. We have taken our daughters with us to Negril many times and I have never felt safer at any property I have stayed at in Jamaica. I think the magic that makes this place so special is that it is run by a family who is Jamaican and who knows Jamaica and who knows how to make sure their guests have a great Jamaican experience. I have truly found my special place and will never stay anywhere else in Negril!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank negrillive
Thank you for the fantastic review. We look forward to hosting you when you visit us next.

Reviewed 14 January 2010

I have traveled to Negril once per year for the past 3 years, spending time both on West End and the Beach. I prefer the beach but love the restaurants on the West End, especially Catcha Falling Star.
I found White Sands by all the great recommendations on Tripadvisor. It was a great place, with the best beach location in Negril in my opinion. I like small hotels when I travel and White Sands is run by a great family. Very laid back, inexpensive, nice clean rooms, few amenities, no TVs, but this is OK with me. They had one at the bar but I prefer the music to TV. They have WiFi on the beach which is great.
This is a great place, especially for the price they charge for rooms. Very affordable.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dante77
Thank you for your wonderful review.

Kindest regards,
Oregon
Reviewed 16 December 2009

We rented the White Sands Villa for a family trip during Thanksgiving. It was one of the worst experiences of our lives. The robbers came into the VILLA in the middle of the night in the same room my son was sleeping. Do not stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sylviagoodman
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 11 January 2010
The security and safety of our guests is paramount at White Sands and we are constantly challenged with managing the wishes and desires of our vacationing guests with the realities of running a hotel that has rules and policies that are in place to protect property and clients.

After the party reported the incident to our front office we investigated the matter and found the group did not adhere to our stated hotel policies.

The first policy they violated was that they allowed non registered guests into their villa. All clients checking into White Sands sign a guest registration card agreeing to the policy that only registered guests are permitted inside rooms. The policy is put in place to protect all guests on property as well as to protect White Sands.

In addition, when we investigated further we learned that these non registered guests were men in the community who have a reputation for taking advantage of unsuspecting tourists

While investigating the matter further we also learned that the party admitted they lost a set of villa keys and that they never reported the missing keys.

When we made a physical inspection of the villa there were no signs of any forced entry and the clients told us they never saw anyone enter or leave their villa.

As a hotel we open our doors to tourists and we expect tourists to follow basic hotel rules and to act responsibly. The policies we put in place are set up to protect our clients and our property. This group made choices while on holiday and as frustrating as it may be for them to admit, these choices cannot be ruled out as having caused the very problem they allege to have happened.

We have been receiving tourists for 40 years and do our best to serve our clients on a daily basis.

Michael Russell
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I have been to Jamaica 3 times inthe past year and have done the resorts and all inclusive and lived as a tourist but there is something amazing about living as a local. White Sands offered just that. The full kitchen was awesome..the shopping experience in the local grocery stores and cooking food for myself. No surprises no mystery meats. I loved the one bedroom apartment. Very spacious, very clean bathroom, wonderful natural heated pool on the garden side. Lots of freedom and welcoming staff. I feel like it's the only places I'll ever stay when I go back again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank LolaSkye
Thank you for your fantastic trip report, we look forward to hosting you again soon.

miami
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Hotel was clean, grounds well kept however watch the painted floors(outside especially stairs) as they are extremely slippery when wet, in my case it rained(not a fun experience to slip and fall) the hotel did their best to accommodate me.Overall was a good stay, but note ther are no TV in room so bring a computer with DVD if you want to watch something.

The highlight of my trip was Beach Road Seafood which has amazing lobster dish, ACKEE AND SALT FISH IS THE BEST ANYWHERE. Fresh hot steaming food and vegetables, roots and other indigenous fare sooooo delicious.

The food is always fresh try the fresh juices, they are different but delicious, I wish I was there now.

Made friends with the chef, so I know I can always get some.

Negril is nice, the beaches are glorious and if you catch a sunset or two with your special someone it is spectacular.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Great travel advice. Always bring a book!

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in Negril.

Regards,
United States
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Francis and his crew were great!
They took us to some great jerk chicken the first night and I thought this was a etter value than RIU. The beach is great, the staff was friendly and everyone didnt make you fell like you were being hustled.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Torontotraveller66
Thank you for the wonderful review.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit.