My wife and I escaped the cold in New York City for a sunny trip down to Jamaica. It was our first time to the island so we did a fair amount of research before our trip using trip advisor etc. We read the reviews for White Sands and felt encouraged as we wanted a chilled out holiday and didn't need an all-inclusive place. We booked a beach side room and we were all set.
We did a follow up check of the reviews at the beginning of 2010 and were alarmed to read the review of the folks who were robbed. It was cause for concern and we thought we would cancel our reservation and stay somewhere else. We initiated a dialogue with the managers expressing our concerns and they were forthcoming with what occurred to the previous guests and included their response to trip advisor. They also told us that there are safety deposit boxes at the hotel's office. So, we decided to still stay at White Sands.
We also arranged our transport from Montego Bay to Negril through the hotel and this was executed flawlessly through Paradise Vacations. Our driver, Garfield, who actually owns Paradise Vacations was great and told us about the history of the places we were going through. He was a great introduction to Jamaica....If you are lucky enough to drive with Garfield, just bring up some West Indies cricket and you'll be in for a treat!
Our deluxe room at the hotel was very nice and spacious and very clean. We were happy with the proximity to the beach. Some folks have mentioned the "busy" road between each side of the hotel for going back and forth on each side of the properties. Yes, there are some cars...and yes they drive on the left hand side (like in Australia where we lived before NYC), just look both ways and you'll be fine...It seemed like a country road compared to streets in New York or Sydney.
The stretch of beach in front of White Sands is very pretty and you can choose to bake in the sun or stay in the shade. The water is very clear and blue (like the photos) and gentle with very small waves so its not too rough for kids. We found the various beach vendors to be friendly and if you didn't want anything that they were selling you just say 'no thank you' and they left you alone. We loved the Jamaican pattie men who come down the beach around lunch time as well as the jerk pork man. The people at the hotel were lovely and the security man on the beach was great. He really looked after you.
We had a great time in Jamaica and will definitely be back. We would recommend White Sands to anyone who wants a low key vacation on the beach and just wants to zone out for a while.
If you are worried about your valuables and cash, just use the safety deposit box in the office, which is free and keep your hotel room door locked. You won't need that much cash each day anyways as everything is pretty cheap. As with any traveling around the world whether you're in London, San Francisco, India or Jamaica just keep your wits about you and look after yourself.
Thanks White Sands management and employees for a lovely stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An intimate resort with a non-hotel atmosphere ideal for families, singles and couples alike. An excellent choice for the undemanding traveler who values the charm of a family owned and managed resort. Excellent mid beach location with rooms on the beach and garden side of the property. Choose from spacious one-bedroom apartments, inviting deluxe and standard rooms, and a villa w/pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your White Sands Negril reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Sands Negril Hotel Negril
- White Sands Hotel Negril
- White Sands Resort Negril