“Fantastic”
Review of White Sands Negril

Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Great hotel / Motel nice bar / grill right on the beach in fact they are right in the middle of the 7 mile beach. Good food, good drinks, nice clean comfortable rooms (except for the pillows), and best of all great people. We definitely will return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for your kind words and trip report.

We look forward to sharing our beach with you again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2010

It was only a long weekend but , it was comfortable clean and friendly.
Thank you Nora for all your kindness. Rest is what I needed and the reason
for my trip. I got exactly that. Thanks White Sands!!! Bless!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for your wonderful words and trip report.

We look forward to sharing our beach with you again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2010

Again, I do not see what some of the other poster said about this place. The room, deluxe, was surely adequate for our needs. The maid, Peaches, did what ever we wished for, and has been at the hotel for 13 or so years. Paul the bartender had some issues, in my opinion, like refusing to turn off the news of murders and shootings, and turning on the music at the bar. He did not understand that he could watch this crap at home, but we were tourists, trying to get away from the news. He has been spoken to by managment on how this was inappropriate. But this was a minor issues on the whole.
The beach is beautiful, and tha hotel is right on it. Some of the rooms are on the other side of the road, and no...it is not difficult to cross the road. There are plenty of places to eat in walking distance, on the beach and on the road. It is cheaper to eat on the other side of the road. Coletta's, sort of across the street, had excellent food for a good price.
We took a cruise with Captain Kurk, to the reefs, and did some swimming with the fish. We bought bananas, banana bread, oranges, among other items from vendors on the beach. Yes, you will get approached by many vendors selling everything from food to mushrooms, to weed and cigarettes. But if you are a social person, none of this is a problem. Whether I bought something from them or not, I always showed "respect". They were all freindly and respectful, except for the crazy mushroom man, who is called "the crazy mushroom man". Hey, there is a price for everything Mon.
This area of Jamaica is perfect for relaxing. I wakled around wirh only shorts on most of the time. If you need to get around, you can call our good friend, junior. He can show you anything, takes care of you with any shopping issues, and knows the island well. He is honest and appreciates the income. His number is [--] or [--]. You can call him before you go to set up airport pickup, go on tours, visit the rastra's, or anything you wish. He has a very clean van, and can provide a cooler for your beverages during your journies around the countryside. Tello him you heard about him from Bob and Judy, and he will take really good care of you. We have know him and used him for years.This is not a four star resort. The positive side of that is you can relax and do not have any rules, dress codes, etc.
The boat ride was $50 US each for a little over 1 1/2 hours, which is reasonable.
SO, if you need to get away from the stresses of life, this place is perfect. We will go there again, for sure. The manager, Francis, is a good man who will provide you with anything you need in the way of hotel issues.
It is HOT this time of year, so don't waste you luggage room with long pants or coats, etc.
You can also drink the water in the hotel, which is better tasting than mine at home.
I found no problems with Negril or the White Sands. I guess some people just like to complain? But this place is perfect for becoming a zombie in relaxation mode. most likely the most relaxing place we have ever visited. But again, it is for those who wish to relax and don't require anything more lavish than what they are used of at home. Ya mon.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SeniorDaddy

Thank you for your wonderful trip report and kind words.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2010

White Sands is simple. Not a lot of frills, but you get a relatively clean room on or near the beach.
I didn't know this before I arrived, but no towels are provided for the beach chairs, so remember to bring your own or be prepared to haggle one of the nearby beach vendors.
The owner, Francis is a nice guy and the fact that they let you rent local cell phones during your stay is a huge bonus. Don't bother using your cell phone unless you have a very good rate. Rent the cell and save money, especially if you plan on talking with friends in the States or anywhere on the island.
There is a restaurant and bar on the property, which is also convenient, however, the food was okay. I would recommend walking the beach as there are plenty of other options.
The rooms did not have a phone, TV or radio, which even though I thought would be okay, I know now, it doesn't work for me. Good thing though, there is a mini-fridge.

So, if you want a room that is very basic and on the beach in a decent location, this will work. In the future, personally, I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank LisaEaseTravels

Thank you. I hope the next time you visit you find a place for you.

Regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2010

Please remember that this is a budget hotel, not for the fussy

Having said that..here is the good
1) great location (beach, close by eating options, coffee shop, convenience store)
2) The manager francis is very helpful
3) fairly safe and quiet
4) Great bar
5) rooms are large and comfortable but for..see the "not so good" below)

The not so good..
1) The ladies who work at the office...
2) I know its a budget hotel..but what's up with the water pressure, and a very poor quality AC, why keep a fridge in the room when it does not work???

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FWT18
mrussell, Director of Sales at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2010

Hello FWT18,
Thank you for your honest feedback, we value your opinion.
It is true we are blessed with being located on one of the best parts of the entire Negril beach. Our manager Francis is one of our best assets and I wish I had $1 for every person who writes about how helpful he is. I am glad you enjoyed a few cocktails at our bar, it is quite popular.

Please note I have forwarded your comments about the lack of customer service you feel you received to our front office staff. They have promised me they will do a better job in the future and apologized to me for any lack of customer service they provided. I would like to pass on this apology. There is always room for improvement and I thank you for pointing this out.

As for the A/C and fridge, we will always fix things if they are not working. Unfortunately what we often find is that people do not report the problem when they are on property and we find out at a later date. If possible, would you please email the hotel directly at the email address listed on our website and advise them of the room type and number and let them know of your issues. That way they can take a look to make sure all is OK. We always have extra a/c's and refrigerators on hand if things can't be fixed.

Thank you again and we hope to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I've been staying at White Sands since 1994. I'm not sure exactly the number of times I've stayed but it has to be at least 10 now. Once again, the hotel was everything I needed. I love the size of the overall hotel footprint...it's not too small nor is it a huge compound that takes forever to navigate. I stay Garden side, the standard rooms on the Garden side are larger than the Standard rooms beach side. The garden side offers a spectacular morning view of the hills and morass. I have no trouble navigating the road to and from my room to the beach. I cannot get enough of the Best in the West jerk stand up the road! The beach area at White Sands is NICE (flat, wide, plenty of space for everyone to spread out). There is also plenty of shade if you need to take a break from the sun. The bathroom in our room was recently updated and looks great. They also added another bathroom near the bar & restaurant area. The location is nearly right in the middle of town and AI area. The main reef looked to be in good health. the snorkeling (you'll need to hire a capt to boat you out there) was some of the best yet. The security does a great job of keeping most of the riff raff away but if you want a patty, coco bread, a newspaper, cooked lobster, fresh squeezed juice or fruits...sit tight in your beach chair...eventually it comes to you. I cannot stress the importance of converting your US dollars to Jamaica currency while in Jamaica. TRUST ME....the math is far easier once you convert your money and have an idea what $10 US is in Jamaican. I've witnessed MANY Americans struggle with paying in US and receiving change in Jamaican dollars. Just make the switch and enjoy the rest of your vacation....leave the math at home.

Back to the hotel review...what can I say. I'm a repeat customer of White Sands and I don't see that changing. I just love everything about the place and wouldn't continue to go back if I didn't. I'm the type of person that would absolutely NOT go back if it didn't meet my expectations. Once again, White Sands does it right. Thanks again to the staff and owners for playing your part in making my vacation relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shari
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2010

Shari,
Great to host you again and I have to agree that the Best in the West Jerk chicken is some of the finest on the planet. A great local spot to get a bite and only a 30 second walk from White Sands.
There is always a Garden side vs Beach side battle and those who love the garden never leave. Same can be said of those who like the beach side. Pretty funny debate, it is like deciding what is the 'best' color !
Thank you again for your support, hope you had a chance to chat with Francis while you were there.
Looking forward to sharing our beach with you again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2010

This family owned hotel combines a great loaction on the beautiful White Sands Beach with a environment free of television, computers and telephones. The rooms are simple and no frills yet roomy and clean. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Most of the clients that visit this hotel come back year after year creating a friendly and familiar environment for all guests. With beautiful gardens, beachfront, pool, ping pong table, pool table and a book library this hotel is the perfect place to escape all the stress of life and recharge your batteries. We enjoyed are stay here so much that we are returning April 2010. It definately was the start of a tradition for us!

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your kind words in your trip report.

We look forward to sharing our beach again with you soon.