“Relax and Unwind among Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of White Sands Negril

Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Negril
MN
“Relax and Unwind among Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

White Sands is not just a place to stay, but truly a place you can relax, unwind and thoughly enjoy yourself. The staff and other guests are all welcoming and if you are open to it you can make some great friendships during your stay. The hotel itself is pretty basic, but has what you need, hotwater, beds, balcony and cleanliness. If you need more than that you are spending way too much time in your room and not enough on the beach. There is a bar and restaraunt opening on the beach with daily drink specials, and you could stay in your beach chair all day and just buy food from the vendors all day, starting with a bottle of fresh squeezed OJ, and a pinapple cut up right in front of you to, warm coca bread and patties or my favorite the jerk pork from the guy who stops by with his cooler full and then ending with a scoop of rum ice cream from the guy on the bicycle. like i said you don't even have to leave the sunshine and surf of the beach but i hope you do because there is so much to enjoy and experience. White Sands is located in the middle of the seven mile beach, not sure where to start just ask any of the staff at white sands and they will assist you. Soon Come:)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeachesMn
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
You hit the nail on the head...White Sands is a great place to relax and unwind. In a way we challenge our guests to put down the remote control, cell phone and all other distractions and just live the moment with friends and loved ones. I am glad you have made friends while staying with us, it happens all the time. We have had American and European guests become such close friends that they end up vacationing in each other's homes when they travel. We have seen young couples who get married, have children and then we get a call one day telling us that their son/daughter will be coming down on Spring Break. We also form great friendsihps. White Sands has become a huge extended family and we love it. Thank you for taking the time to write and we look forward to sharing our beach with you again soon. Cheers, White Sands Negril

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

I have been to Negril 6 times in the last 4 years. I have stayed at two other hotels on the 7 mile beach and I will never make that mistake again. Whitesands is heaven.. Francis and Mike take you in as family and are truly glad to see you when you arrive. The staff is not only friendly, but will make your stay comfortable and they are always have a smile for you. Tony (hot bartender) remembered what I drank, Horase (top chef) makes the best Jerk chicken on the island. Anything you need, Whitesands helps you with it, they go above and beyond and are VERY attentive. The Whitesands staff has become my family away from home. I will continue to spend my christmas and spring vacations with my Jamaican family. Looking forward to many more years of memories. Whitesands is my home away from home. Thanks.. Whitesands.. I miss you already...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
We are humbled by your kind words and truly appreciate your taking time to send in your review. It is always a pleasure to get nice feedback, but it is even more appreciated knowing you are a Negril veteran ! White Sands has become a second home for many, and considering we have been hosting guests for 40 years, the 'many' keeps getting bigger. Which makes us very happy. We look forward to hosting you next year and we will miss you until you arrive. Cheers, White Sands Negril
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

We traveled to Negril for the second time this past October. The first time my boyfriend and I stayed at an all inclusive down the beach from White Sands. It was beautiful, however, we never left the property. After talking with workers at this hotel, we were told to "Go out and experience the REAL Jamaica!" This time I was bound to see more and meet more of Jamaica's wonderful people. That's exactly what I found at White Sands.
From the beginning all of the preparations for our trip were handled promptly and professionally. Since I planned this trip for my family (mom, stepdad, 10 year old son, and fiance) I was a little nervous if I had made a good decision. As soon as we got out of customs in the airport my fears were gone. Our driver was there with a huge smile and a sign with our name on it. We requested Red Stripe for the ride back and were given two a piece. If you have never been to Jamaica, be prepared for a wild, crazy ride but, trust them, they know what they are doing!
We were greeted at the hotel by Henry, your main man for the entirety of your trip. One of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Anything you need, he will make sure you find it. We stayed in the 4 bedroom villa and it was beautiful with a private pool. The only things we recommeded to them were a grill and AC in the center of the villa. (AC is only in the bedrooms.) Housekeeping prepared our breakfast the next morning. I miss Janette and her singing and dancing! Such a sweet lady! Tip them well, they deserve it! Power took us to the market a few times and I have never felt safer. A few times I saw someone coming to approach my mom or me and when Power gave them a "look and a head shake no" they walked right away from us. I called him my bodyguard, even though I didn't need one. lol
You have to get a massage from Connie and Jinnifer! Very reasonable prices and they are sooo sweet! I still hear from Connie! She's definitley a new friend that I look forward to seeing soon! We love and miss all of White Sands. Not enough can be said about the service here. GO! If you want relaxing in REAL JAMAICA, this is the place to go! GO ALREADY!!!! lol
My boyfriend proposed to me on the Sundeck here at sunset! White Sands will always have a special place in my heart!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
WOW !! We are so blessed to have been a part of such a wonderful family facation. We are humbled by your kind words, and I thank you for giving credit to our wonderful staff and those who are our 'extended' staff, like Power - who has been taking great care of guests for many years.
I am glad you were able to experience the all inclusive vacation so you can compare it to a White Sands Negril vacation. Two very different experiences. And you are so right...if you want to discover Jamaica, you will not be able to do it at an all inclusive. Those hotels do not want you to even socialize with their staff. Our guests become friends with staff and even go to church with them and visit them at their houses. It is a wonderful thing to see.
I am glad you consider White Sands the real Jamaica. We look forward to you being a part of our loyal repeat clients and hope to see you again soon. Our sundeck will never be the same !!
Cheers,
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

This was my second time staying at White Sands, great place reasonably priced right on the beach, internet was a bit slower this time but I would not hold that against them, it might have been the internet provider.
Francis and staff was just great as always, I will definitely make this my first choice next time again, hopefully real soon.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Glad to have you back and looking forward to hosting you the next time you are in Negril. We were having some intermittent WiFi problems over the past 7 days due to router issues. Our solution is to upgrade with new routers that are specifically built for the outdoor salt water environment. Thanks again and see you soon.
Cheers,
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

Husband and I with 3yr old just returned from white sands after 7 days. Sorry for the loooong review! The hotel is centrally located on seven mile beach within walking distance of many restaurants and shops. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Francis, the manager is such a wonderful person and will help you with whatever you need. We miss everyone there and had a great trip. We met so many people who return to the white sands year after year and I can see why. We had a garden room across the road from the beach. The room was basic, comfortable and the bathroom was new. Crossing the road is not hard at all - many cars even stop and let you cross. The hotel's restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch. We had good breakfast almost everyday there - recommend the banana pancakes. The bar makes great drinks - pretty strong ones. The beach area is a good size and there is security sitting there the whole day so you don't have to worry about leaving your bag on the beach while you are in the water. There are plenty of chairs and the staff will put them out for you - bring your own beach towels. The sand is supersoft and the waters are pretty calm - perfect for kids. We didn't, but there is a glass bottom boat tour guy, jet skiing right on the beach. The vendors will approach you and ask if you want to buy fruit or a massage or tours etc. We just said a firm "no, thank you" and were not approached again. For good fruit, walk to the right side on the beach less than 5 minutes and you will see a fruit/vegetable stand (woman's name is Rose) - we bought mangoes, bananas and papaya - all were sweet and reasonable. I bought bananas from one of the guys walking up and down the beach and they were horrible. For good patties, walk left on the beach about 2 minutes to Niah's patties - really good and about $5. Best of the West Jerk is about 2 minutes walk on the road and is really tasty. Don't order the "fruit plate" at restaurants because you will be charged $5 for barely any fruit as we found out. If you don't want to take a taxi to the HiLo, Shamrock grocery is about a 10-15 minute walk on the road. It has pretty much everything you need. For a taxi - ask the front desk and they'll arrange it. Power drove us to downtown and the cliffs and it was very reasonable. Get his number and he'll pick you up as well. There are plenty of taxis who will honk and stop on the road asking if you need a ride but you will have to haggle - we didn't want to deal with the hassle. We booked transfers from MOB through the hotel and it was smooth. The hotel also exchanges money at a decent rate. I would exchange some as soon as I get there since it is just easier than calculating conversion. However, pretty much everyone including small vendors take US dollars. We also did a ys falls/black river safari tour with Lloyd from the hotel. He was really nice and a great guide. We walked back from Cosmos restaurant on the beach one evening and it was safe - were not really approached by anyone. We also ate at Alfred's which was good. If you plan on walking the beach in the evening, bring a flashlight as not all the hotels are lit up outside. Don't walk the beach/road in the evening if you are a single woman as you will be approached by men offering their services. Food was more expensive than I thought it would be, so I would bring more cash as it is easier than using credit cards. I learned that if you are friendly and say hello to people and a polite "no, thank you", they will be nice to you. Do not ignore people and if somebody offers you their card, just take it. It may sound silly but I had to write that since I am from NJ and we don't go around greeting everyone that passes by! Also, remember you are on island time so you will not be served in a few minutes although we didn't have to wait for long at most places. Overall the trip was relaxing and we enjoyed the hotel and sorroundings. I loved the tropical plants and flowers including the intoxicating smell of night jasmine. You will hear the tree frogs at night. For the low hotel rate we paid, we got a great value and we would definitely return. Thanks for a great vacation, White Sands! We miss you!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank annaaas
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this review, 10 December 2010
WOW! You get the award for the strongest fingers and hands for writing such a long and detaiiled review. With hands that strong maybe you should apply for the job of giving massages on the beach! Thank you for taking the time to tell the Tripadvisor community about your stay, it means so much to us. To know that your family enjoyed their time there, and to hear that our staff and manger took such good care of you means the world to us. Careful with those strong and yummy drinks at the beach bar, they can catch up with you !! We look forward to hosting you again and when you come back please send an email attention to Michael and we will see what we can do to upgrade you. Thank you again and enjoy the upcoming holiday season. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

Just returned from White Sands last Saturday. What an awesome place for the bucks.
The rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable and on the beach. The food and drink are cheap and the staff is very helpful. Spend the time to get to know the locals at the hotel as their insight and advice is invaluable. I will go again ASAP.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank TLWebb
So happy to host you. Glad you enjoyed your time here. You echo what so many say about White Sands being a great value for rooms and food. And it doesn't hurt that we are located on the best and quietest part of the Negril beach. We hope your 'asap' return happens soon and when you book again please send an email attention to Michael and I will do my best to provide you with an upgrade. Bundle up this holiday season but know it is always warm in Negril ! We look forward to sharing our beach with you soon. Cheers, White Sands Negril
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

Let me first start and say that Francis the manager of White Sands is hands down the best guy around, he is always there to give a helping hand with whatever it is you might need. If you are looing for a true Jamaican experience than this is the place to stay. If you are looking for a place that offers home style feel and a TRUE feel for the island and a great atmosphere than White Sands is your place. If you want American food and a place that's busy with windsurfing rentals and towel service than this is not for you. White Sands is a place to relax and get to know the locals that hang out there and to become part of the island for the time your there. The bar is a great place to hang out and enjoy the people of Negril. There are so many return guests that you feel as everyone knows eachother. The restauant is great, it sometimes takes time to get your meal but everyone there lives on island time, I think it's more of the visitors problem because we live in a different world. The rooms are always clean and well maintained. I have to say that I will go back again and again because when we tavel it is 2 young boys and a tennager and I feel safe and secure. You could not ask for more it just depends on what you want from your vacation. We love it there..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bryan5
You are so right...Franics is the best manager on the planet and we are blessed to have him taking care of our guests on a daily basis. He is like the mayor of Negril, everyone knows Francis and eveyrone loves him. You hit the nail on the head about White Sands being a great place to stay if someone is looking for a true island feel and one that is run by a family who cares about their guests. Everyone loves our bar, especially our daily 2:1 drink specials, I hope you were able to try them all !! I will be sue and tell our housekeeping staff they are doing a good job of keeping the rooms clean and nice. We love the fact that you love it here and we look forward to hosting your family again. Cheers, White Sands Negril