“Amazing Stay in the One Bedroom Apartment”
Review of White Sands Negril

White Sands Negril
Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 9 March 2011

This place was perfect for our group of four female college students. Check-in was smooth and relatively quick. The lady checking us in was very nice, and we were given a welcome letter that contained all of the hotel’s info. We stayed in the one bedroom apartment, #C1, which was as close to the beach/bar/restaurant as you could get. I paid $485.60 total for four people for two nights, directly to the hotel. We loved it! The living room was setup with two twin beds, an arm chair, a coffee table and a couch. There was a dining room with a table and four chairs, a kitchen that looked well-equipped (I didn’t use anything except the fridge and microwave for leftovers, but it seemed to have everything one might need) and a private bedroom with a twin and a double bed. The bathroom was really big and nice as well. We had a little private patio outside our door with a table and chairs too.

I was concerned when I booked because of the comments some reviewers had made about the wooden slats that were installed on the windows instead of glass panes, but it wasn’t a problem for us. The slats closed so no one could see in, although you could hear everything through them. Because our room was right near the bar it was usually noisy, but this didn’t bother us- we enjoyed hearing the waves and people having a good time outside on the beach. The one AC unit was in the bedroom, which had seemingly standard windows, so as long as the doors to the bedroom and bathroom were shut then the bedroom would cool down easily and the wooden slats weren’t a problem. Luckily two members of our party love to freeze while they sleep, and the other two always bundle up in sweats so this AC setup worked perfectly for us, it may not for others. I thought the beds were really comfortable, and the flat screen t.v. in the bedroom is a nice touch too.

I can’t say much about the maid service; we were in the room when she came so I just traded out our dirty towels for clean ones, and that was our only interaction with them because we were only there for two nights. We ate at the restaurant twice, and found the food to be good but nothing too special. Everyone on their staff whom we came into contact with was really kind and welcoming, and I hope that I get the opportunity to stay here again in the future because I felt safe the entire time and they really were genuinely nice people.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jerseysl33
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2011

Glad you had a great time. We have hosted many college students over the many decades since we have opened our doors. What usually happens is that the students, after having such a great time on their spring break, once they get out of school and start working, they come back and visit us each year.

And we have watched some students graduate, work, get married, have children and then we watch the children go through the same cycle. We are very blessed to be a party of it all.

Glad to hear you liked the room and that the staff at White Sands Negril treated you well.
We look forward to hosting you again. Cheers, White Sands Negril

Reviewed 6 March 2011

I booked on-line after reading reviews on here. I thought the good out-weighed the bad.
I could care less about whether we had a phone or a tv or even a clock. We planned to spend very little time in our room and most the time on the beach or in the West Side or in a restaurant.
We came to White Sands after spending 3 days in Montego Bay at Toby's which was a pretty good spot to stay. I imagined that White Sands would be similar.
We checked in and then walked across the insanely busy road (you seriously have to pay attention and try to avoid getting clobbered) and found that our room was the first one on the bottom floor closest to the road. It was pretty horrible. It reeked of cigarette smoke-seriously reeked-unbearable and I used to be a smoker. We turned the ac on to try to air it out and it actually made it worse. The room was tiny and and the "patio" was ground level with just enough room for 2 chairs but you would never, ever want to sit there...ever. It also felt very unsafe being on the bottom floor and closest to the road. We have traveled quite a bit and have stayed in some really bad motel rooms over the years but quite honestly nothing compared to how bad this was and this was our vacation! The crappy places that we have stayed in before were usually $20-$30 and you expected it but this was $80 and so we thought it would be very basic but not horrible.
We both just stood there shocked and I felt terrible because I had booked it and thought that I had ruined the last half of our vacation. My partner left to go talk to the manager and I tried to not cry. I decided that even though we had prepaid we would just have to suck it up and find somewhere else to stay.
Luckily for us the manager moved us to the garden side across the road onto a second floor room. This was a hundred time better! It was much bigger and had a nice deck and high ceilings and felt much more tropical and less like a crack den.
The ac was really noisy and there were no face cloths or even towel racks and the bed was very uncomfortable with the worlds worst pillows and the poor caged parrots wake up squawking at around 6 AM but compared to the first place it was heaven.
Everything else about this place was pretty average. We can't help but think that sending us to the first room was just to see whether we would complain about it or not.
If you are going to stay here I would recommend requesting a garden side room on the second floor.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GhostBear75
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Standard Rooms on the beachside are our smallest rooms and get booked more often than any other block of rooms on property because they are the least expensive rooms on the beach side. I am glad our manager was able to place you in a room that met your needs. Regards, White Sands Negril

Reviewed 4 March 2011

I went their with my friend for having a drink! They have special on drink every night. Depend with day but its always between 4-7$US for 2 drinks. The drinks are really strong, half alcool, half mixt juice!!! Go on sunday for their amazing pina colada!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2011

It is nice to hear we have another loyal Beach Bar Fan ! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Tony and Paul are the most popular bartenders in Negril and they make awesome cocktails. Our daily specials have a cult following. We hope to satisfy your thirst the next time you are in Negril. Regards, White Sands Negril

Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed at the White Sands for the first time this January and had a great time. The rooms are very basic - remember to bring along your own washcloths, beachtowels, coffee-making supplies, and alarm clock - but absolutely clean and comfortable. We stayed on the garden side and the grounds were beautifully kept; I would prefer that to the more expensive, noisier beach side.
The staff were always polite and the room was cleaned every day, drinks were easy to get at the bar, and food was pretty quick at the restaurant. The bar scene when we were there was mostly rowdy baby-boomers, which isn't really our thing, but they sure seemed to be having fun.
The beach has security, so you can go for a walk or in the water and leave your things worry-free, and they also don't let the beach vendors linger too long. Just get to the beach early because it's very small, and if you come late you'll have to spread out to non-hotel areas that get a lot more attention from vendors.
We walked on the beach and the beach road and didn't have any real trouble on either; once on the beach at night a local gentleman got upset with us for refusing a solicitation and followed us for a bit, but it ended alright.
All in all, it was an absolutely great vacation and for the price of the room, the hotel truly could not have been better. I would visit again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GrapeJade8

Thank you for the kind words. Glad to read you had a great time and enjoyed your stay. It is always interesting to hear from our guests who are loyal to the garden side & those who are loyal to the beach side.Both equally passionate. It is definitely two different vibes and I am glad we are able to offer both so our guests can choose. We look forward to hosting you again soon. Regards, White Sands Negril

Reviewed 23 February 2011

Hotel was fine, nothing special. Beach is quite small, but that seems to be the case throughout Negril, as resorts are built quite close to the water. The bar is cool enough, the front desk staff is helpful enough. The service wasn't overwhelming, but it was fine. My biggest problem was the beds - really rock hard and made sleeping nearly impossible. I couldn't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. I was exhausted after three days there!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read you were treated well by our staff. Sorry to hear the bed was not to your liking. Some find them too hard, some find them too soft, some find them just right. It is one of those things that we have to accept in this industry. If the bed is not to your liking the next time you visit please ask Francis to show you a different room and maybe you can find a bed that fits your comfort level. Kindest regards, White Sands Negril

Reviewed 19 February 2011

We just returned from our 4th trip to White Sands. Another fabulous vacation. The staff rocks. They take care of your every need. Our maid Peaches kept our room impecable. We stayed on the beach side in the Deluxe room, the balcony was great. Leedon (the security guard) always has your back and Francis (the wizard) makes any problem go away. The bartenders make the best 2 for 1 drinks on the beach. We met so many new friends this year and went on some great day trips to Pelican Bar, The Blue Hole, and the Red Stripe. Great restaurants are within walking distance. Lloyd is the best driver on the Island. You don't have to look any further, White Sands is the place to stay. We have already reservered our rooms for next year.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alycat124

What a wonderful trip report. Thank you for taking the time to leave the feedback. Peaches has been with White Sands for over 10 years, as have many of our employees, and you are right she is fantastic. Liddon always deserves a big shout out…guests love him. I have heard people describe Francis in many ways, but the ‘Wizard’ is a first ! He does perform magic, so I like the description ! Tony and Paul make some wonderful cocktails and many come from miles around to taste their mixers. Glad you were able to do some day trips. I have never been to Pelican Bar, and it is on my Jamaica bucket list. Lloyd is a great driver and always delivers. Glad you already booked for next year, we look forward to hosting you. Cheers, White Sands Negril

Reviewed 17 February 2011

I have stayed at White Sands for more than a decade and the rooms are always clean and neat. Fresh flowers in the room is a nice touch. Both the hotel and beach bar staff are a pleasure and a treasure. I highly recommend this property if you are looking for a low frills property in the middle of the 7 miles of Negril beach.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
mrussell, Manager at White Sands Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2011

Thank you for your loyalty and kind words. You summed it up very well…low frills, clean, neat with a great staff. I guess after 10 years you know our routine pretty well ! All the best and we look forward to hosting you again as soon. Cheers, White Sands Negril