“A very warm and friendly experience”

Country Country Beach Cottages
Ranked #25 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Picton, Ontario
“A very warm and friendly experience”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

My wife and I had a very enjoyable three week stay at Country Country and we would go back without any hesitation. Country is small, quiet and very relaxed with a great beach and fine amenities - exactly what we like. The staff from the management right down to the gardner (who kept the environment around our cottage always looking very attractive), were all wonderful people and provided first class service. The restaurant, right on the beach, was most pleasing and the food always very nice. We will go back and will certainly recomend it to others.
Peter and Paulette Jamieson, Ontario Canada

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Country Country is a great little slice of Negril! We enjoyed our stay very much and would not hesitate to go back.

Rooms: We had 523, which was a downstairs room about midway between the beach and the road. My brother-in-law had 501, which is a single story room and the first room next to the office and my friend had 515, also a single story, which was right on the beach. (FYI: I cannot figure out why people in other reviews complain about not getting rooms near people they booked with, since it takes about a minute (if that long) to walk from one end of the property to the other.) All three rooms were clean and well-maintained. While we did keep our shutters closed most of the time, bugs weren't an issue at all. Beds were a bit hard and pillows left a little to be desired, but we dealt. The ONLY thing that I would actually complain about (and it's super small and really trivial, but other women out there might need this info!!) is the hair dryer... it stunk! I wish I'd known so I could've brought my own.

Beach: GORGEOUS!! Plenty of loungers and adirondack chairs. Shade under the trees or umbrellas. Bathrooms close by and clean.

Restaurant: Delicious breakfast... honey french toast, omelets, banana pancakes... very good coffee! Ate one lunch at Country Peppa and it was tasty... salads, fish sandwiches, jerk club sandwich. Also ate one dinner... good, but not fantastic. Had what was supposed to be seared tuna and it turned out to be way overcooked, but my husband had a beef tenderloin that was perfectly cooked and delicious.

Staff: Everyone was nice and helpful! Someone was always cleaning, sweeping, or tending the plants. Office staff helped make reservations for dinner. Bar/Restaurant staff was friendly and attentive. Ernie, the taxi driver that hangs out at Country Country was great and took us many places for a reasonable amount. The security guards were great too. They kept the peddlers at bay unless you wanted to buy something from them. They also took our room numbers whenever leaving the hotel to make sure that we came back in one piece.

This was our second trip to Negril... first time we stayed at an all-inclusive. While it was beautiful and a fun vacation, it wasn't the real Negril. Country Country gives the real Negril experience and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SittinUnderAPalmTree
New York City
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Beautiful property, terrific staff. A garden oasis that still captures the vibe of old Negril. The staff is courteous, the rooms are well-appointed and immaculate, the food is delicious. If you visited Negril in the old days and think it is forever lost, think again. The vibe goes on, the beach is fabulous and COUNTRY COUNTRY is the place to be. Very much looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank NewYorkCityMona
Virginia
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Have to add to the comments from Njoy....
First let me start with a little background. We have been to Jamaica 7 or 8 times...its getting to the number where we have to think about it, counting the stays. We started at AIs primarily Hedo 3 and then ventured to Negril. I knew this was what we had been looking for. No dig on H3, we had great times and met outstanding people there, both employees and visitors, but I felt we were missing a huge part of the Jamaican experience. Our first trip to Negril was split between the Rockhouse and Couples Swept Away...I reviewed them last October. On this last trip I was able to figure out what it was we were looking for in a vacation. we have always been able to do whatever we wanted, but didn't venture out too much. Now we know why...for us it is about doing almost nothing...a little snorkeling, some sightseeing, a little shopping, but primarily its about laying on the beach, reading a good book, watching the people, eating great food, and yes, drinking some rum. This is what we do best. Now on to the review...
Starting with Ernie, we have met several drivers in Jamaica that go out of there way to accomodate. Ernie exceeded the norm by actually making sure that everything we thought about doing could happen, if we chose to do it. I wanted to see Richie Spice at the Negril Escape. He made sure I got affordable tickets, and to my surprise, was willing to go along with me. My experience has been that the drivers will take you and pick you up, not hang with you. It was nice to be able to experience this with a local viewpoint. Thanks Ernie for making that sacrifice!!
Our cottage was tucked midway between the road and the beach. My first thought was to try to get a cottage closer to the beach...but I really try to let things happen as they will . Turns out the room was perfectly located. Quiet, secluded, and very comfortable. One of the things I thought might be an issue with rooms closer to the beach is the fact that all guests walk down the path, right by the other cottages. I think we had one of the best locations there. Although there are what appears to be more secluded and better views available.
Some of the other reviews I read that led to us choosing CC stated that the noise from Margaritaville was a bother. On our arrival, a guest commented that they hoped the noise wouldn't last until 2AM again tonight. We arrived on a Sunday, and although there was music playing during some days that might bother some, we never heard any at night, once we left the beach. Could be room location, not sure.
Another complaint was the safe location. I will agree that its placement close to the floor in the closet does not lend itself to easy access, but maybe thats the point. Not sure but not a deal breaker for us. It worked, our stuff we felt was safe...and we never felt that our other belongings were at risk out in our room. We take certain precautions at home, we do the same when we travel.
The staff were all very gracious and helpful. One of the complaints I read and hear is the timing of service. While at the Richie Spice concert, some folks were complaining that if Richie didn't start his set soon they were leaving. One thing I learned and look forward to when in JA is the laid back non-hurried lifestyle. If you want instant anything, maybe this isn't the place. The three girls at the bar...and an occasional guy hanging around (isn't there always some guy hanging around the young ladies) were great, although they couldn't remember my room number any better than I could, they looked after all our needs, and accomodated my requests. We had breakfast on our porch a few mornings and that was a great experience. The food was good. Had a good selection and affordable. One wish would be to have coffee in the rooms in addition to the tea.
I am terrible with names but will not forget the smiling faces of everyone there. We always were met with a genuine willingness to help us if needed. Conversations with the gardener, security, housekeeping and all give you added insight and understanding of the great place you are visiting.
We are really new to the off resort experience but am more aware of what drives us to return as often as possible. Thanks to all of you at Country Country for adding so much to our experience.

6 Thank Hedonist99
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 30 January 2010

From the moment we stepped out of the airport and saw our driver, Ernie, we were treated to the best hospitality one could ask for. On the drive to Negril, Ernie asked us what we were interested in doing while in Jamaica. He made us feel welcomed and throughout our entire stay he did everything he could to accommodate our wishes. Many thanks to Ernie.

As we arrived at Country Country we were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful surroundings. Check in was quick and easy. We were shown to our room immediately which made it nice to be able to relax right away. The cottages are roomy, clean, private and quiet. Although there was a cottage above us we didn't hear any noise other than the occasional flush of a toilet! The bathroom was a good size with a shower only which was fine for us. The windows have shutters only, no screens. Which isn't a problem for us since we tend to keep the room airconditioned.

The restaurant/bar is located on the beach, with an awesome view. It is opened from 7 am until 10:00 pm. Their menu includes a wide variety of options priced around the $8 to $16 range. We enjoyed many meals there and the staff were always very friendly.

In easy walking distance up and down the beach there are many other restaurants including Margaritaville (two doors down but we didn't hear any noise from there at night).

We will definitely visit Country Country again. Hopefully we will see all the great people we met again.

1 Thank NJoy1031
Tecumseh, MI
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We returned to Country Country for the third time and found the consistency in quality unchanged. Forget the all-inclusive resorts. We tried RIU and never again. At Country Country we found great service, fantastic cottages and a good restaurant/bar all within a short reach of the rooms, and all of this on a great stretch of the beach! What we liked most: fetching a pot of coffee to take back to the room before breakfast; callaloo omelets and banana pancakes; ample supply of beach loungers/umbrellas; great staff - Monique, Opal, Super, and Lee to name a few; air-conditioned rooms when we needed it; Wi-Fi; and a nice mix of guests that included Europeans, Americans, younger and older couples and families with kids. A special place it is! Until next time...

1 Thank jimL
TWINMOMG8
Reviewed 20 January 2010

If you are looking for a place where you can vacation at your own pace. Country Country is the place for you and / or your family. You will receive personalized services. Accomodations were made for babysitter for my twins and a personal DVD player. The staff are capable, friendly and professional. Other guest were friendly as well. The grounds is well kept and beautiful. The beach is private kept very clean. The resturant lies directly on the beach offers fresh great tasting food. The only negative was that portions were smaller than we would like and quite pricy 40 per person. There other eateries along the beach that offers variety and lesser prices.

We were able to sit on our porch and view the New Year's Eve fireworks! Awesome.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family