“Last Minute Vacation Paradise!”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband and I booked the Rockhouse Hotel only 3.5 weeks out. Of course all the villas were taken so we settled on one of the studio suites. I have to say, for $150/night we were quite pleased. The room is small and intimate, but everything is very well taken care of. Excellent views of the ocean from your private patio.

The staff at the restaurant was fantasic including the food. My only comment would be that the rest of the staff, while super nice and very respectful of personal space, were a little on the reserved side, especially the front desk. I wish they would have been more open in offering up suggestions for tours, and just in general things to do/see. I felt like we were a little on our own in that aspect.

General Note: The waters around the rockhouse are pretty choppy with strong winds. I'm not sure if this is seasonal or not, but we were there in June 2012 and it was a lot rougher than what I thought. We were able to go out snorkeling in the cove one afternoon which was nice.

2  Thank KoenigKC
Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Our background & approach: Experienced resort travelers, young couple from Cali, 1st time in Jamaica. 1st 3 days spent at Breezes Grand for an all-inclusive beach experience then 2 days at Rockhouse Hotel for a Negril cliff-side boutique hotel experience.

Couldn't wait to experience Rockhouse and in hindsight, wished we spent more days at Rockhouse than Breezes.

Room #17, I love this room and love that it's further away from the main path. The only downside is that the ladder to the ocean was removed due to the slightly more dangerous water current in our jump off area.HOWEVER, any hotel guests are free to roam through the lounging/jump off areas despite what room it's prioritized for. Still, I would have rather stayed at room #15 because it's jump off spot is superb and more tranquil, pus you don't have the uncomfortable awkward feeling of imposing on someone else's designated area.

I love this resort, and I truly cant wait to go back. It is super romantic, sexy, tranquil, adventure, and absolutely gorgeous. There are some things that should remain a mystery so you can experience your own thrill of discovery.

Food was yum and cocktails where even more delish.We did venture out and walked to 3 Dives Restaurant for awesome jerk chicken with beautiful view. They were closed for lunch and opened around 3ish. If you're walking, it's an easy short walk but be sure to go while sunlight is out. It can be dangerous walking at night due to the fast cars, blind curves, and limited sidewalk.

One last tip is to go through the charges on your bill very carefully including your mini bar bill.

Did I say that I can't wait to go back to this gem of a place? This is where you can "unplug" (no wifi and tv) and connect with the ocean or with each other. I truly love it here.

Room Tip: Room #15 has a great jump off into tranquil water <3
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank amtaag
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Extremely unique and beautiful boutique hotel because of the way everything is carved and built out of stone. The pool is gorgeous and it is a truly beautiful location for a destination wedding, which is what we were there for. All the rooms are sparse, and the hotel takes conservation seriously - but when you discover it is run by a foundation that returns all its profit from the hotel back into the community, you're happy to comply. Don't expect to find too much to do on-site, but the poolside company of the wedding guests, the first rate pina coladas, and chilling with my honey made me happy.

Room Tip: The insides of the rooms are identical. They all have outdoor showers. You pay more for rooms with...
3  Thank savvytraveler612
Reviewed 9 July 2012

It's been over a year since we stayed at the Rockhouse but thought I would still write a review since we had such a lovely time there. We visited Feb 2011

We stayed in a standard room and were very comfortable. It sits back from the water but it was nice being "out of the way". It wasn't loud. The room decor was shabby chic and had a nice daybed tucked into a wall covered with pillows. Nice spot for a nap or reading. We had an outdoor shower which I loved.

The rest of the hotel was very beautiful and had little paths that lead to secluded spots for quiet enjoyment. We loved snorkeling right off the cliffs as well. It wasn't overly busy and most of the time it was very very quiet even around the pool. Everyone was laid back and reading. Not a place for a loud party group.

We had a couple spa treatments that were just wonderful. The ladies made us feel so special and pampered. Definitely a treat.

Some of the help were friendly and some we felt like we were bothering if we asked them a question. Also we couldn't figure out if we were suppose to be tipping after the service or if it was included into our stay so we decided to tip after each meal and after our spa treatment only to find out we were billed for it too!! Next time we need to find this out up front so we aren't over spending. Also I don't feel like the hotel explained anything to us when we checked in. We didn't know where the restaurants where located (so many little paths to take) in fact we were there a couple of days before we even knew there were 2 restaurants! The meals were good but kinda expensive.

Over all I think we would stay here again but splurge for one of the villa's because they look so cozy and beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjrueschhoff
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Loved staying at the Rockhouse. The grounds are sooo nice. It feels really private. Food is great - I'd say dinner is better then breakfast or lunch. Overall, we had a great experience. Highly highly recommend it and would absolutely stay there again.

We stayed in a garden villa - #19 which had an amazing view of the water right from the bed. We were going to stay in a studio room and ended up in the villa and are so happy we did. Didn't see the inside of the studio rooms but I'd say go for it and splurge on the villa if you're debating. It's worth it!

The hotel is split into 2 sides. The lower number villas are on the newer side and the higher numbers on the older side. Both sides are amazing. We were on the older side which is nice because it's a little more lush than the newer side. It seemed a little quieter than the other side too - farther from the restaurant and road. It's also the side that the pool and pool bar are on so if you want to mix it up between ocean and pool you have it all right there.

Wherever you end up you'll be happy and feel like it's the best. I think it's just like that at the Rockhouse. It's pretty great all around!

Room Tip: They all look pretty amazing and probably all have their pluses. We stayed in #19. A garden villa...
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My husband and I were actually staying on the beach at a different hotel, but were anxious for a change of scenery. We asked the hotel if there were any affiliations with any of the properties on the cliff, and they mentioned Rockhouse. They called ahead for us and sure enough Rockhouse agreed to let us use the property for the afternoon. We arrived at noon, at first to be told that the pool was for in-house guests only. We were dissapointed but headed to the bar for some cocktails. After a short time a staff member approached us and said that the General Manager had made an exception and that we were free to use the pool. We happily made our way over to the pool for what was a very pleasant experience. The pool was beautiful and we were the only ones in it. The staff at the pool bar were very friendly and accomodating. The food was great- I had the snapper salad and the drinks were even better. After a great time at the pool bar we headed back to the main bar for some more drinks and grilled calamari- which is to die for. The General Manager checked in on us more than once to make sure we were having fun. All in all a very nice afternoon on the cliffs. I will definitely stay here the next time I visit Negril.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We spent time here recently and had a great experience. The ocean was a bit rough most of our stay so that made jumping/swimming/snorkeling not an option as they would not even rent us the snorkeling equipment for safety reasons. Food and drinks were good. The pool was a once in a lifetime kind of experience. I know it is not a product of the property, but of the patrons at the time, but it was not a very social setting. The staff regularly greeted/attempted to converse in Patois, which is cool after you have been there a couple days, but is irritating at first. The outdoor shower was sexy as hell. The cabana was neat and we had no problem at all with bugs.

Overall, glad we went for the experience, but we were also glad to leave after a couple days and try something else. If you want to sit in the sun and read and keep to yourselves for vacation....the place is exactly what you want.

2  Thank tuaennoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Samsara Cliffs Resort
Samsara Cliffs Resort
#30 of 81 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!